• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Wilbur

Banned
And agree with sohois re: Moyeezus transfer business. Certainly a case to be made for a marquee signing, look how transformative it's been for Arsenal (not to mention the copious amounts of drugs they acquired for Ramsey).

But - and I think this has been forgotten in the light of Everton's admittedly brilliant transfer business this summer - he regularly made some very astute signings. We should absolutely trust in his network and his judgement. The problem is that the media are on his case, casuals are on his case, neutrals are on his case, the less informed of United fans and opposition fans are on his case, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that if everyone else is on his case, then the people who benefit from any projected success will probably be on his case too.

Blablurn

Ba9Ud5VCQAA3qHU.jpg:large

Our captain is back! Philipp #Lahm has recovered from a thigh strain & has participated in the team trainings today.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Francesco Bardi (Livorno) has made the most inaccurate long balls in Serie A this season, with 101.

he's

a

goalkeeper

WJD

And agree with sohois re: Moyeezus transfer business. Certainly a case to be made for a marquee signing, look how transformative it's been for Arsenal (not to mention the copious amounts of drugs they acquired for Ramsey).

But - and I think this has been forgotten in the light of Everton's admittedly brilliant transfer business this summer - he regularly made some very astute signings. We should absolutely trust in his network and his judgement. The problem is that the media are on his case, casuals are on his case, neutrals are on his case, the less informed of United fans and opposition fans are on his case, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that if everyone else is on his case, then the people who benefit from any projected success will probably be on his case too.

This is the biggest worry. I'm sure yourself and others were banging on about this after the game yesterday but it's worth restating: the players just don't look arsed. I've got no problem giving him time to sort himself out, become comfortable at this level and have at least a couple of his own transfer windows - preferably without Woodward sticking his podgy todger in. But if it is as it appears and the players are already losing faith in him and struggling to play for him then it's a long, long way back. Perhaps insurmountable already, even.

Arnie

if moyes goes it has to be giggs

Redcafe, 2013.

That was the opinion of some brain-absent Manc on 606 last night.

His opening gambit was, "One word: he has to go".

I was in tears at this point, but it got better and better. He based his entire rant on the idea that Ferguson was up in the executive box looking down at him, and that he could see Moyes looking up at Ferguson and feeling the pressure from his glare.

Savage and Fletcher then told him that Ferguson wasn't at the match, and that he was in fact in Scotland.

The Manc responded with (after a protracted silence): "WELL I COULD SEE SOMEONE UP THERE."

I nearly slipped into the bubble bath for good and drowned in my own satisfaction.

Zabojnik

I was in tears at this point, but it got better and better. He based his entire rant on the idea that Ferguson was up in the executive box looking down at him, and that he could see Moyes looking up at Ferguson and feeling the pressure from his glare.

Savage and Fletcher then told him that Ferguson wasn't at the match, and that he was in fact in Scotland.

The Manc responded with (after a protracted silence): "WELL I COULD SEE SOMEONE UP THERE."

I nearly slipped into the bubble bath for good and drowned in my own satisfaction.

This is what it must've felt like for Inter fans from 2006 to 2010.

mellz

26 M. De Sanctis
13 Maicon
17 M. Benatia
5 Leandro Castan
3 Dodô
16 D. De Rossi
15 M. Pjanić
6 K. Strootman
24 A. Florenzi
27 Y. Gervinho
8 A. Ljajić

Totti on the bench!

1 Neto
2 G. Rodríguez
23 M. Pasqual
40 N. Tomović
15 S. Savić
21 M. Ambrosini
10 A. Aquilani
20 Borja Valero
66 J. Vargas
11 J. Cuadrado
49 G. Rossi

Zabojnik

Time to get comfy for the first half of Roma - Fiore, then penne rigate con pomodoro e basilico with parmigiano reggiano on top at half time. Mmmmm.

Listening now. :lol :lol

Wilbur

Banned
Arnie you've just had me cracking up in the car on the way home from breakfast. It genuinely stuns me how stupid some football fans are. Like, how can you be so passionate about something you're so misinformed about?

Some bloke in the pub last week following the Everton match tried telling me that Patrice Evra is without a doubt the best left back in the world, and he hadn't even heard of Alaba so how can he be considered so?

I just told him to get the fuck out of my sight. He took it in good humour. I should have said it with more rage.

This is the biggest worry. I'm sure yourself and others were banging on about this after the game yesterday but it's worth restating: the players just don't look arsed. I've got no problem giving him time to sort himself out, become comfortable at this level and have at least a couple of his own transfer windows - preferably without Woodward sticking his podgy todger in. But if it is as it appears and the players are already losing faith in him and struggling to play for him then it's a long, long way back. Perhaps insurmountable already, even.

I can't remember who made the point yesterday, but you've got players who have been there nearly ten years in Evra, Carrick and Vidic. Players who have been there for that time in Rio and Rooney. Players that have been there since before they were even a dirty thought in daddy's brain let alone a fully formed sperm cell like Giggs.

Young kids like De Gea who had the faith of the manager in tough times, and kids like Welbeck and Cleverley who will have known him since they were little. Players plucked from smaller clubs like Valencia and Smalling who have played regularly. Twins who could have been split up but have the pleasure of being in the same side. Older heads like RVP who came because of the success that manager could almost guarantee.

Every single member of that squad, just like 95 percent of our fanbase, know nothing but Ferguson. It's not particularly surprising that it's taking a while for a side to react after so long. It's just scary thinking that they haven't fucking bucked their ideas up yet.

Salazar

That is one of the decent things about 606

Savage is a berk, but he will fucking crunch the imbeciles from time to time

You can hear him laughing in the background and he'll just not fucking budge when he encounters bollocks.

Moyes please

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobi...e=man-u-fan-commits-suicide-after-his-team-lo

By CYRUS OMBATI

A man believed to be a fan of Manchester United Football Club committed suicide Saturday night in Nairobi’s Pipeline estate after the team lost 1-0 to Newcastle.

Police said John Jimmy Macharia aged 23 jumped to his death from the 7th floor of a building he was after learning his team had lost in the Saturday evening match.

According to Nairobi County police chief Benson Kibue, Macharia told his friends he could not stand and watch the team beaten in a row before he leapt down dying on the spot.

“All witness accounts suggest he committed suicide because the team lost but officers are still talking to those who were with him as part of the investigations into the incident,” he said.

Kibue advised the youth in the city to realise the English Premier League just like any other sport is a game and they should not be emotional with it.

“It is not the first time we are losing a young man because of the football in England, which is far away from us. They need to know that is just a game,” said Kibue.

The body was later removed and taken to the mortuary by police who arrived there. Macharia is said to have landed on his head dying instantly.

Manchester United slumped to their second home Premier League defeat in the space of four days as Yohan Cabaye's goal gave Newcastle a first league victory at Old Trafford since 1972

Blablurn

u know. alaba is not even a real left back. he started in the midfield. it was van gaal who put him there. i actually thought he would not extend his contract in bayern because that would mean he keep playing left back. he mentioned from time to time that he wants to return to the midfield.

on the other side... when i watch him play he spends more time in the midfield anyway.

How are you mate?

Just checked your profile just for fun. I'm surprised u only came here in May 2012. Thought u were here much longer.

I'm good thanks. I sweat it was earlier than that. I thought it was like March 2012. I remember posting about the FA Cup game against Leicester which was around March.

Arnie

Quiche, my Paypal account has been completely deactivated, just tried logging in and nothing.

Think what I'm going to do is just wait for the next crazy deal over Christmas and bite at it when I see it. I'm going home for Christmas from a week on Thursday so my playtime will be limited then anyway.

Gives me a bit of time to complete shitty Killzone, too.

tri_willy

u know. alaba is not even a real left back. he started in the midfield. it was van gaal who put him there. i actually thought he would not extend his contract in bayern because that would mean he keep playing left back. he mentioned from time to time that he wants to return to the midfield.

on the other side... when i watch him play he spends more time in the midfield anyway.

he'd make a great left wing back for liverpool's 3-5-2 :p

Clegg

United have second worst record in the league for goals scored by midfielders. In fifteen games our cm's have only scored three. Only Palace have scored less.

Can see why Moyes was looking for a goal scoring midfielder last summer.

WJD

Gives me a bit of time to complete shitty Killzone, too.

It really is a bit poo. Multiplayer is okay, but I think I'm on the last chapter of the campaign now and don't really give a shit.

My god the fucking lighting is spectacular though.

Top Bottom