• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Scum

You know what's mad too? Napoli going to EL with 12 points
KuGsj.gif

This "You finished 3rd, so off to the EL you go!" should stop.

Jack cw

Well beating a Leverkusen side with an aggregate of 9-2 who are second in the much vaunted Bundesliga and have just beaten (an admittedly weakened) Borussia Dortmund away is still a pretty good achievement in my eyes.

Drawing at Shakhtar where they gave Dortmund, Chelsea and Juve real games last year is pretty good too. Just because they're not the elite doesn't mean they're not decent teams.
Leverkusen is a special case. The match against Dortmund 2 days ago, was the first in years were they manged to win against a "big" team without luck. Since 2002 they lost to every opponent that was competent. Remember that Barca 7-1 a few years ago.

Drawing at Shakhtar where they gave Dortmund, Chelsea and Juve real games last year is pretty good too. Just because they're not the elite doesn't mean they're not decent teams.

Shakhtar lost too many players this summer, though. They looked proper terrible against Leverkusen.

Wilbur

Banned
Leverkusen is a special case. The match against Dortmund 2 days ago, was the first in years were they manged to win against a "big" team without luck. Since 2002 they lost to every opponent that was competent. Remember that Barca 7-1 a few years ago.

If they lost to every opponent that was competent, they wouldn't be finishing third in the Bundesliga as that implies that 90 percent of the teams in that league are incompetent.

oh wait

I don't know what luck is to you but playing against a team that's missing 5 of 7 defensive players is something I'd call luck, too.

Wilbur

Banned
Shakhtar lost too many players this summer, though. They looked proper terrible against Leverkusen.

Eh, they lost Fernandinho, Mickey and Razvan Rat, and they brought in Wellington Nem, Bernard, Fred, Fernando and Facundo. Hardly terrible transfer business.

So Wilbury

I take it Killer approved of that avatar

He posted a gif that seemed to imply distaste. I think its more embarrassing to have a Fellaini avatar than Shelvey anyway

I JUST WANT BEAKER BACK

Michy Batshuayi says BVB and Arsenal are the clubs he dreams of playing for. Is this guy any good?

Wait, he's Belgian and has a very fitting name. I don't care, sign him.
Barshuayi
Aubameyang-Mkhitaryan-Blaszczykowski

That's amazing.

Jack cw

If they lost to every opponent that was competent, they wouldn't be finishing third in the Bundesliga as that implies that 90 percent of the teams in that league are incompetent.

oh wait

Wich is unfortunately the truth :/
Besides Bayern and Dortmund there is no other club right now that could compete internationally. Bundesliga isnt that strong as some people think. I dont want to downplay Uniteds performance, they were great against Leverkusen, but this Leverkusen team is somewhat inconsistent.

I don't know what luck is to you but playing against a team that's missing 5 of 7 defensive players is something I'd call luck, too.
No, with luck I meant that 1-2 against Bayern last season were we basically scored 2 own goals. The game against Dortmund was a convincing win, but Dortmund wasnt in best shape I admit, too many injures.

Salvadora

Well beating a Leverkusen side with an aggregate of 9-2 who are second in the much vaunted Bundesliga and have just beaten (an admittedly weakened) Borussia Dortmund away is still a pretty good achievement in my eyes.

Think others have noted the special circumstances surrounding the others teams in your group better than I could've, but even Sociedad are a worse team than last season.

Probably could have phrased my previous post better, but I don't think your European form is that reflective of a better side of this United team. Just lesser opponents.

Eh, they lost Fernandinho, Mickey and Razvan Rat, and they brought in Wellington Nem, Bernard, Fred, Fernando and Facundo. Hardly terrible transfer business.

Not what I'd call terrible business, either. But they still lost too many important players and it showed. They'll need(ed) a few months to get going again, which is a very normal thing of course.

Wich is unfortunately the truth :/
Besides Bayern and Dortmund there is no other club right now that could compete internationally. Bundesliga isnt that strong as some people think.
The fact that Schlacke has still a chance to qualify for the next round in the CL proves otherwise. I think this season's Gladbach could do okay, too, although they'd get one hell of a terrible group in the CL lol

Wilbur

Banned
Think others have noted the special circumstances surrounding the others teams in your group better than I could've, but even Sociedad are a worse team than last season.

Probably could have phrased my previous post better, but I don't think your European form is that reflective of a better side of this United team. Just lesser opponents.

But I don't think Leverkusen and Shakhtar are lesser opponents than Cardiff and West Brom so it makes it all the more mystifying that we slip up against them.

Was still part of the Shaktar side that "Dortmund, Chelsea and Juve real games"

Not Dortmund. They didn't play until February and the 2-2 draw in Donetsk was a fantastically exciting game.

Not what I'd call terrible business, either. But they still lost too many important players and it showed. They'll need(ed) a few months to get going again, which is a very normal thing of course.

Yeah agreed.

I guess the thing I'm pointing out is that they're in the Champions League. They're still very decent sides. Chelsea have absolutely tonked Schalke 3-0 home and away and then lost to little Swissy Basel both times. Arsenal have got Marseille in their group who look far worse than any of the sides in ours, and are basically just cannon fodder for the rest of the group. City got a relatively easy group considering the strength of their side compared to CSKA and Plzen.

Zabojnik

Rumor is Nainggolan is looking for a house in Torino. *itshappening.gif*

Also, I love how the media starts throwing the word 'crisis' around whenever we fail to win two matches in a row. Not so for Napoli. Defeats and draws out the wazoo ... nothing. This is how it feels to be small.

Jack cw

The fact that Schlacke has still a chance to qualify for the next round in the CL proves otherwise. I think this season's Gladbach could do okay, too, although they'd get one hell of a terrible group in the CL lol

I wouldnt rate Schalke that high. Their performances against Chelsea were rather poor. Gladbach is great this season so far, but so they were 2 years ago. Then they lost Dante, Reus and such. I really cant see Bundesliga that strong. Bayern won the first international title after 12 years.

Yeah agreed.

I guess the thing I'm pointing out is that they're in the Champions League. They're still very decent sides. Chelsea have absolutely tonked Schalke 3-0 home and away and then lost to little Swissy Basel both times. Arsenal have got Marseille in their group who look far worse than any of the sides in ours, and are basically just cannon fodder for the rest of the group. City got a relatively easy group considering the strength of their side compared to CSKA and Plzen.

I think United is doing very well in the CL. It's a tough group and you're already through before the last matchday. Just wanted to point out that you can't really compare the Shakhtar side of this season with last one's.

Wilbur

Banned
Just went back and read from the CL draw. Lots of us saying City and Arsenal were already dead, and that Chelsea had an easy group.

Give us Basel!!!

Edit: Fuck yesssssss!!!!

also confuziz pls

"United is done too :lol"

"Shaktar will completely destroy United"

Linius

Can United become first in the group? I'd love to draw them if we pull trough. Not saying we'll beat them, but they are in dire form at least.

GorillaJu

Oh man, pure juiciness going on at the moment.

Villas Boas was encouraged to take the deal on offer from PSG so Spurs get compensation, he's now pissed off because he doesn't approve of Levy's Summer buys, apparently, and has had multiple dressing room clashes with Adebayor and received no support from the club hierarchy.

Meanwhile, United have been offering Anderson up for whoever wants him.. with him apparently making a beeline to Villas Boas after the 2-2 draw with United to ask about a potential transfer, which wouldn't happen in the current state of Tottenham's midfield.

I need some Liverpool news, and hopefully something good, though I fear the next bit of transfer business I'll hear about is Agger being sold. Would break my heart but also be for the best.

Wilbur

Banned
Can United become first in the group? I'd love to draw them if we pull trough. Not saying we'll beat them, but they are in dire form at least.

Yeah we're first at the moment. Just need a point to guarantee it I think. Really hope Ajax make it through!

If we finish top and avoid Bayern, Madrid and Barca, we can still get Dortmund and Juventus aha.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Rumor is Nainggolan is looking for a house in Torino. *itshappening.gif*

Also, I love how the media starts throwing the word 'crisis' around whenever we fail to win two matches in a row. Not so for Napoli. Defeats and draws out the wazoo ... nothing. This is how it feels to be small.
I'm willing to pay half his rent to make it happen. He's a proper naughty ninja.

Conte might Asamoah him into a wingback me thinks :(

Re:media drivel

Dat top of the league crisis

It seems like we're ALWAYS in CRISIS with Conte, and for three years straight. We should hire Allegri to steer the ship or something.

Matri didn't train today, apparently he has a "slight flu". Which means that he won't even be on the bench on Wednesday :D

And Emanuelson received a knock today and is doubtful, he might recover just in time.

Linius

Yeah we're first at the moment. Just need a point to guarantee it I think. Really hope Ajax make it through!

If we finish top and avoid Bayern, Madrid and Barca, we can still get Dortmund and Juventus aha.

Most likely draws are Juventus, Olympiakos/Benfica, City (!), Basel/Schalke, Dortmund/Napoli, Zenit/Porto or Milan/Ajax.

To be fair, in your current state I guess only Olympiakos and Schalke would be doable without much trouble. Basel already proved they can play good games against you guys.

Wilbur

Banned
Most likely draws are Juventus, Olympiakos/Benfica, City (!), Basel/Schalke, Dortmund/Napoli, Zenit/Porto or Milan/Ajax.

To be fair, in your current state I guess only Olympiakos and Schalke would be doable without much trouble. Basel already proved they can play good games against you guys.

Well we can't get City, country draw and whatnot.

Juventus, Basel, Dortmund and Porto would comfortably beat us I think. Feels a bit odd saying that about Basel and Porto, but there we are. Wouldn't be too fussed getting Olympiakos/Benfica, Schalke, Zenit or Milan/you guys.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I want United more than anyone else, but I want them to get their shit together and recover their injured players first.

I'm talking about next season's CL, obviously.

Jack cw

Juventus, Basel, Dortmund and Porto would comfortably beat us I think. Feels a bit odd saying that about Basel and Porto, but there we are. Wouldn't be too fussed getting Olympiakos/Benfica, Schalke, Zenit or Milan/you guys.

Dont be so defensive. I think you could beat all of those teams on a good day. Juve and Dortmund are tough but if your lucky, they still have many injuries they have to compensate. I dont see Juve as strong as they were last season.

Linius

Oh I didn't know that about the country thing. Seems bullocks for countries like England, Spain etc. with four clubs in the CL. So you can only draw within your own country from the 1/4 finals then?

Oh and I think you underrate Milan. In the CL they always seem to have a little extra. They gave Barca some good games last year. Even drawed against them this year. Basically you guys and Milan are in the same position in your own league. Big clubs not getting any results.

Top Bottom