• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

bud

Reading through the thread since I went beddy-byes

Shut the fuck up about Ribery winning the Balon d'Or, he doesn't deserve it. It's an award for best player in the world, not the best player for the best team. And in no way, shape, or form is Ribery, nor has he ever been, the best player in the world. Jesus.

Seriously, you guys are nearly as bad as those bellends who though Xavi should win it as some kind of fucking lifetime achievement award ala Giggs' PFA award in 2009..

is it me or do you sound... mad?
Wv5S7HL.gif

Blablurn

Shut the fuck up about Ribery winning the Balon d'Or, he doesn't deserve it. It's an award for best player in the world, not the best player for the best team. And in no way, shape, or form is Ribery, nor has he ever been, the best player in the world. Jesus.

Seriously, you guys are nearly as bad as those bellends who though Xavi should win it as some kind of fucking lifetime achievement award ala Giggs' PFA award in 2009..

do you know anything about football?

Wilbur

Banned
"this feels like a defeat"

"there is no way we are paying adebayor"

"let me put you on ignore now"

"they will the league"

Wilbur

Banned
Chiming in one more time on this tired debate.

Hitcher is 100% categorically fucking correct. Franck Ribery's trophies this year are the Bundesliga, the Champions League and the German Cup. He was probably the best player in a team where almost everyone was absolutely fantastic.

He was not the best player this year outside of Bayern Munich. And that's it. It doesn't matter whether or not he's as talented as Messi, or Ronaldo, or anyone else. He just wasn't the best player over the course of 2013.

Bayern bumming Barcelona into the void of night was not a celebration of Franck Ribery's talents. It was one of Bayern Munich's talents. Collectively they were far better than everyone else in the entire known universe. But seeing as his team won all the trophies, it would be odd to give an individual award to something that isn't judged on that criteria.

bud

sadly, these player awards seem to be based almost entirely around how many trophies a certain player has won with their club (and country).

The quality of a football player is solely defined by the statistics gathered at whoscored, independent from their context.

I can see why people would prefer Messi or even CR7, but the hate against Ribery is pretty baffling.

lol

So having some measure of awareness of his place in the spectrum of brilliant footballers = hate

Bayern, fans, man. You lot are wired wrong.

Elchele

Who are you?

Ballon D'Or should be decided by how many kids want to be like a certain player when they grow up.

and no ones wants be a nightmare inducing pedophile like Ribéry.

Wilbur

Banned
When you just look at two statistics, ignore all context and the overall success a player has had that season then - with all due respect - it's either that or it's willful ignorance. I'm not even saying one could not end up at the same conclusion if one looks at the entire performance of a player, but what we're doing right now is statistics-whoring.

Okay.

So Ribery had a lot of success in 2013, due in part to playing for an absolutely fantastic side where almost everyone was on top of their game. They won lots of cups and leagues and a portion of this was because of Ribery but it was a team effort for sure.

The reason Real Madrid and Barcelona were even close to winning honours in what was relatively poor seasons for both of them is the performances of Ronaldo and Messi. Individually, they had more influence and did more for their teams than Ribery did. Individually.

Forget what the teams won. Pretend that every single season ends in no trophies being awarded, and judge things on a game by game basis. Far more often than not, Ronaldo and Messi were the ones who decided things. Not just by (Messi goal 49'), but because Messi has taken the initiative and ran into space and taken advantage of a defender's positioning and scored a goal that gives him the win.

In context, out of context, whatever. It's an individual award in a team sport. The fact that so many people give a shit whether Ribery wins or not devalues what Bayern achieved as a team in my eyes to be honest. There was no stand out player. It was an incredible team achievement. Why single someone out? The evidence that Ribery played well is there to see in cold hard fact; trophies, and indeed stats.

Who are you?

The beginning and the end, the dark and the light, seeker of justice, bringer of truth.

Henderson's injury is a killer. Nolan is supposed to be a Liverpool fan. Fucking joke of a player when he's not scoring, brings nothing to his teams elsewhere. Cunt.

Elchele

The beginning and the end, the dark and the light, seeker of justice, bringer of truth.

Henderson's injury is a killer. Nolan is supposed to be a Liverpool fan. Fucking joke of a player when he's not scoring, brings nothing to his teams elsewhere. Cunt.

:lol

I was seriously asking because I don't see your name in the list of supporters.

sadly, these player awards seem to be based almost entirely around how many trophies a certain player has won with their club (and country).

Torres won the FA cup, Champions league and got the golden boot in the Euros while winning the trophy itself too.

Talk about undeserved winner.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Not gonna participate in this Ballon d'Or talk any further, since obviously no one is going to change his opinion, and especially when man babies like Hitcher are chiming in

All I'm gonna say is: Look at how the NBA hands out the MVP award, it doesn't go to the guy who scored the most points in a team that did fuck all or the most TALENTED basketball player.

In other words, give it to Torres already.

:lol

I was seriously asking because I don't see your name in the list of supporters.

Oh, I used to go by justrafa

I'm a Chelsea fan :)

Should win all of our games for the rest of the season with the momentum we'll get in a few weeks' time

edit: Find Posts function is broken for me, last post its showing is from like 28 hours ago

Wilbur

Banned
Not gonna participate in this Balon d'Or talk any further, since obviously no one is going to change his opinion, and especially when man babies like Hitcher are chiming in

All I'm gonna say is: Look how the NBA hands out the MVP award, it doesn't go to guy who scored the most points in a team that did fuck all or the most TALENTED basketball player.

Give it to Torres already.

Well then the NBA does it wrong.

Plus, MVP is a different term to best player really. Pedantry, but yeah.

Feorax

From Nolans tackle?

Not sure. Suppose it's only fair though, we did break Stewart Downing.

Oh well, at least Alberto should get a run now (I hope, fuck off Moses).

In better news, Daily Fail saying Salah was at Anfield on Saturday.

I'd be amazed if AVB really has had any dressing room clashes with Ade, because that assumes Ade has actually been in the dressing room. Even when he's in the squad, I'm pretty sure he just immediately goes up to the chairman's box for some sandwiches and a bottle of coke.

Not sure. Suppose it's only fair though, we did break Stewart Downing.

Oh well, at least Alberto should get a run now (I hope, fuck off Moses).

In better news, Daily Fail saying Salah was at Anfield on Saturday.

I genuinely don't think Chelsea would take him back if we wanted to send him back early. There's just something annoying about the way he plays, like he's on top of the world and anonymous performances are good enough for him to start the next week because he's too good to keep out of the team.

So, er, sorry Arnie. You woz rite.

Kassu

Banned
Who really cares about Ballon d'Or, it's just football version of that stupid VGA monkey award. Messi and Ronaldo won't win anything meaningful this season anyway, Atletico will win their Lol Liga while Bayern probably wins CL again.

Who really cares about Ballon d'Or, it's just football version of that stupid VGA monkey award. Messi and Ronaldo won't win anything meaningful this season anyway, Atletico will win their Lol Liga while Bayern probably wins CL again.

I said this before but yet half the thread still think it's the most interesting thing ever.

Top Bottom