• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Elchele

This place is getting hostile
iBKjbtCGofnFt.png

I'll grab a shawarma and get back to studying
irYFuAK0JOwM1.png

I got a 10 today.

believe

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Buds avatar is slaying me :lol

Can we fast forward to our game pls? I just wanna get this over with.

Ooooh and Homeland's episode was very gewd! Carrie's gon Carrie

I'm terrified, as a Spurs fan, for Sunday. I think we're gonna get bummed in the alleyway on this one. We've been pretty lucky these last few weeks, and we just don't have bite - or, at least, for long enough. I really, really wish AVB would stick a second forward on the pitch. Soldado is too lazy to be up there by himself, and the wingers need to stop cutting in and actually put some crosses in. They aren't Bale, and we have enough height in midfield with Dembele, Sandro etc that crosses will pay dividend.

Feorax

I'm terrified, as a Spurs fan, for Sunday. I think we're gonna get bummed in the alleyway on this one. We've been pretty lucky these last few weeks, and we just don't have bite - or, at least, for long enough. I really, really wish AVB would stick a second forward on the pitch. Soldado is too lazy to be up there by himself, and the wingers need to stop cutting in and actually put some crosses in. They aren't Bale, and we have enough height in midfield with Dembele, Sandro etc that crosses will pay dividend.

Our team is dead.

You will be fine.

Edit: it's just occurred to me that 5 of our best 11 are injured. That's catastrophic this time of year.

LNBL

Posted this in the World cup draw topic as well, so ill paste it here too :) 2 legged tackle if this is old.

You guys ready for some conspiracy theory? I have to say this video makes a good case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJ3qpaAjG0#t=95

Though the video is not in English, you should focus on the papers that show the name of the country. The balls are all opened after which Jérôme Valcke places his hands behind the desk every time. The papers that he holds up are perfectly straight and unwrinkled, while the papers that the female presenter unwraps (above the desk) are all wrinkled and roll back when she lets go of one side.

Maybe i'm just salty about the draw haha, but I would not be suprised if this is real.

Wilbur

Banned
I said this before but yet half the thread still think it's the most interesting thing ever.

I'm trying not to talk about it but I want to see the Bayern fans rise higher than ever before and fall so much further when Ribery is too busy fucking an eleven year old on the night of the award and he misses Ronnie winning.

Jack cw

Who really cares about Ballon d'Or, it's just football version of that stupid VGA monkey award. Messi and Ronaldo won't win anything meaningful this season anyway, Atletico will win their Lol Liga while Bayern probably wins CL again.
I like you. I'd sign this.

Wilbur

Banned
Posted this in the World cup draw topic as well, so ill paste it here too :) 2 legged tackle if this is old.

You guys ready for some conspiracy theory? I have to say this video makes a good case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJ3qpaAjG0#t=95

Though the video is not in English, you should focus on the papers that show the name of the country. The balls are all opened after which Jérôme Valcke places his hands behind the desk every time. The papers that he holds up are perfectly straight and unwrinkled, while the papers that the female presenter unwraps (above the desk) are all wrinkled and roll back when she lets go of one side.

Maybe i'm just salty about the draw haha, but I would not be suprised if this is real.

Tweet this to Sepp

wait for him to reply

lion02_thumb1.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Madrid and Barcelona have amazing squads as well.

Who weren't playing anywhere near as well as Messi and Ronaldo were, and weren't playing anywhere near as well as the Bayern squad were in comparison to Ribery.

Maybe, but simply citing the number of goals and assists doesn't reflect that. At all. It also unfairly punishes Ribery for the style Bayern is playing. It doesn't take into account when the goals were scored and against whom. If Ronaldo is so important, does he take the blame for the ton of goals Madrid had to concede this CL season? Or does his importance suddenly magically disappear when it's not about "stats whoring"?

Why would he? He did his job. The Madrid defenders didn't do their jobs because they weren't playing anywhere near to the same level as the Bayern defenders or Ronaldo. Ronaldo stood out.

Also we're not talking about the mercy award for "Won nothing with his team, but he was really important for them", we're not even talking solely about raw statistics (even though one can and should use them), we're talking about the best player of the year.

Exactly. Not best team of the year.

Except we're not in kindergarten where everyone is a winner. Teams win trophies. Players contribute to this either directly or indirectly. Ronaldo has been disappointing in two CL semi-finals (and this season against Dortmund in particular), that's hard to ignore. It's like ignoring that LeBron James choked in most 4th quarters against the Dallas Mavericks in 2011. The best player has to be there when it matters most, does anyone really care if he scored four goals in a meaningless match?

At least Messi had a valid excuse against Bayern, with Ronaldo people always have to force themselves to ignore that he wasn't there when it mattered most (in recent times).

No, context matters. A decisive goal is more important than three goals against some random opponent. Showing the mentality to win when your team needs it is important (see e.g. Kahn in Bayern's last match against HSV in 2001)..

If Ronaldo scores three goals against some random opponent in a 4-1 win, it's very likely those three goals are just as decisive as in a tight 1-0 win against Barcelona. I don't like this notion of only the big games matter, why doesn't Ronaldo do it when it matters most. Every game matters. Every single game. Scoring a hat trick 20 times a season but not scoring one against Dortmund doesn't mean that Ronaldo hasn't turned up when it matters, it means he's turned up almost every single time it mattered and not that time against Dortmund.

Canadian football/soccer fans:

Sportsnet has United vs. Shakhtar while City vs. Bayern Munich is on Sportsnet World tomorrow. -_- Was really hoping on watching the City/Bayern game but whatever. At least Galatasaray vs. Juve is on Sportsnet One so I guess I'll be watching that.

I really miss the days when The Score was still around and had weekly live matches of Serie A.

Wilbur

Banned
Canadian football/soccer fans:

Sportsnet has United vs. Shakhtar while City vs. Bayern Munich is on Sportsnet World. -_- Was really hoping on watching the City/Bayern game but whatever. At least Galatasaray vs. Juve is on Sportsnet One so I'll be watching that tomorrow.

Galatasaray v Juve is a good one to watch, it actually matters. Relatively confident we'll get at least a draw, no way City are winning 3-0 in Munich so that one's a dead rubber.

I'm missing the games tomorrow and Wednesday as usual. Do it for me, Pogchan <3

Jack cw

If Ronaldo scores three goals against some random opponent in a 4-1 win, it's very likely those three goals are just as decisive as in a tight 1-0 win against Barcelona. I don't like this notion of only the big games matter, why doesn't Ronaldo do it when it matters most. Every game matters. Every single game. Scoring a hat trick 20 times a season but not scoring one against Dortmund doesn't mean that Ronaldo hasn't turned up when it matters, it means he's turned up almost every single time it mattered and not that time against Dortmund.
Because it matters. Big players are remembered because of the important games they decided with their individual class. Zidane, messi, maradonna, even cr7 in 2008. Riberys performance was great during the season and especially against Barca and Dortmund. Anyway, he won the UEFA award for a reason and I'm sure he'll win it next month too.

Feorax

Don't panic. Alberto will come in for Henderson and will be amazing.

I really think we should consider going 4-2-2-2 at this point. It just makes too much sense not to.

------------------------------Mignolet-----------------------------
---Johnson-------Skrtel-------Sakho--------Flanagan---
---------------------Lucas----------Allen------------------------
----Alberto------------------------------------Coutinho--------
------------------Suarez-----------Aspas----------------------

What I am dreading seeing

------------------------------Mignolet-----------------------------
---Johnson-------Skrtel-------Sakho--------Flanagan---
---------------------Lucas----------Allen------------------------
----Sterling--------------Moses----------Coutinho---------
----------------------------Suarez---------------------------------

Galatasaray v Juve is a good one to watch, it actually matters. Relatively confident we'll get at least a draw, no way City are winning 3-0 in Munich so that one's a dead rubber.

I'm missing the games tomorrow and Wednesday as usual. Do it for me, Pogchan <3
Yeah you're probably right. Hopefully Galatasaray and Juve go ham tomorrow and it's a great game.

In any case, we'll be watching Napoli v. Arsenal on Wednesday since the Chelsea match won't be on TV here lol.

Elchele

I can see where you're coming from, but we just seem to have different opinions. Maybe as a Bayern fan I'm biased. Either way, it's not worth it to get all worked up about it.

I think is more related to Wilbury not watching Bayern in every match week last season. Ribéry was immense. He saved our assess in countless occasions.

The Ballon d'Or is a popularity contest, anyway, so I don't expect Ribéry to win it.

Salvadora

I thought Moses looked quite good when I saw him at Chelsea.

Wonder if it was a case of not seeing enough of him, or something more.

Lol just witnessed a chav mother call her son dickhead, he must be no older than 5.

"c'mon dickhead" like it's his actual birth name.

Mind blown.

Wilbur

Banned
The Bulgarian League should be cut to 10 clubs to raise the standard of the game and to cut out the "pointless matches", one of the owners of champions Ludogorets told a news conference on Monday.

The Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) has already streamlined the top flight to 14 teams and next season the number will be reduced to 12.

"I think it is very important to reduce the number of the teams in first division once again," co-owner Georgi Domuschiev told reporters.

"The best would be if there are 10 and the teams play each other four times. This will reduce the pointless matches. There'll be less teams who have nothing to play for."

Batigol

Banned
Wait, we had fifteen penalties this season already?

Ah, I try to stay away from those threads these days. Better for me to not get into too many stupid arguments. It's funny though how people pretend PC versions mean much when there's a console version.

Say that in there and you'll probably get banned lol

Feorax

Odd that Aspas seems frozen out of the team entirely considering the money you spent on him.

I don;t get it either. All the articles I read in the summer said he was a shit winger and an average number 10, but he can work wonders if you stick him up top.

He showed his ability in pre-season, but as soon as the league begins, he's out wide or behind Sturridge. Then he gets dropped for Suarez' return (understandable), and now Sturridge is injured, he still can't get a game, whilst Moses (who is apparently shit out wide, up top and at number 10) keeps getting chance after chance.

Madness...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BbD2LJ8CQAEDs1A.jpg:large

Padoin = Bebe

In all seriousness, if we don't batter the shit out of MANCINI, I'm gonna fly to Vinovo, chain myself to the gate, and call for Conte's head WIG.

I'll never blame you Antonio <3 always and forever behind your back wig <3

Top Bottom