• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

bjaelke

oHw709S.png

Ungrateful bastards. Can't appreciate a classic 4-6-0 formation.

Kenka

Nahh Kenka. I dunno. They're second in the league. One terrible performance does not warrant a sacking.

Why isn't GT6 out on ps4
My two cents.

I feel no pain or embarrassment anymore. After 15 years of truthful support, I suffer to see my team regress to simian behaviour after it went through the entire length of the football rollercoaster during this time.

I thought they would have learnt something from this journey. I leave disappointed.

You didn't get confused with the barrage of names and shit at the start?

Maybe i'm just dumb haah

Not like I instantly remembered them, but having a bunch of "then that and that happened and then this and this guy did this" in the intro of a rpg is done pretty often, usually just take it as a "not supposed to remember this 100% yet, will understand later on" and it did a fine ob at that imo, don't remember being confused really.

oHw709S.png

Ungrateful bastards. Can't appreciate a classic 4-6-0 formation.

Are you Ståle in disguise?

WJD

It's definitely starting to look like a decent buy. I have 20 odd titles ready thanks to PS+, so I'm also considering getting one in a not to distant future.

Yeah, some nice bundles at the moment. The missus loves LBP too so I could use it to keep her quiet.

I was watching highlights of the Bayern vs CSKA match and Honda wasn't even that bad. He had that shocking miss, but apart from that he created a lot of chances.

Don't worry my Milan bros. Sviat is just trying to smear Honda's good name because Keisuke wants to leave his beloved Russia.

Gambit

Lahm has to pause for the next two games.

It really is incredible that it's no big deal anymore.
Ribery missing? -> Götze
Schweini missing? -> Kroos
Lahm missing? -> Thiago

Any of those three missing previously meant that Bayern would have a very tough time. Now they can brush it off. (Although you can always tell if Ribery is absent)

Also, the next two games are against Braunschweig and a cup game against Ausgburg

Kassu

Banned
Kenka I still think you're overreacting but whatever. I hope your club gets better results either with or without Hyypiä in the future, at least you aren't as annoying as Dortmund or Bayern.

Is anyone else playing BF4 MP? It's great, I haven't had so much fun with any online multiplayer game since BFBC2.

Liverpool-GAF, we have been linked with Ryan Bertrand in the Telegraph today for £8m, would you take him or would you want us to look elsewhere? If he's as any good as the last Chelsea player we bought, then I'd say go for it.

About £3m overpriced imo, but would be solid backup. Should be looking for much better abroad if we want to improve our first-choice option though. Or go balls-out for Shaw and hope we and Southampton finish in positions that make it a possibility :p

@Kenka, do one you mug

I'd be livid in your position, but being second in a league that contains the best team in the world and Bayern Munich negates it to being almost irrelevant in a fortnight's time. If we lost 0-5 to Napoli or someone, I'd be embarassed, pissed off, annoyed, incredulous, maybe a little worried. But would I be calling for Rodgers' head? No chance.

Even the resident Spurs fans here are backing AVB, and their team looks frankly broken in many aspects. When you have such positives, you have to be willing to take the odd dreadful result on the chin and look at the bigger picture, and hope that the staff and team learn from it and don't let their heads drop. Otherwise you end up putting your club on the managerial merry-go-round, and before you know it you're hiring Alan Curbishley in December

Wilbur

Banned
Have to agree with that, and KidA's comments on Giggs; at least Ando looks to drive forward with the ball and pass it ahead of him. Cleverley's been utterly disappointing this season.

TeddyBoy

Liverpool-GAF, we have been linked with Ryan Bertrand in the Telegraph today for £8m, would you take him or would you want us to look elsewhere? If he's as any good as the last Chelsea player we bought, then I'd say go for it.

We've been linked with him a few times, I think the first was under Dalglish when we bought anyone who was English and played more than 4 games in the Premier League.

I think its just a recycled story tbh, but with Cissoko only on loan and Enrique not being quite good enough, we'll be looking at a few players for next season, but I always presumed Bertrand to be Ashley Cole's successor, so I doubt he'd be available for such a low price.

@LiverpoolGAF: Borini wants to return to Italy in January according to his agent. On a loan deal, apparently.

I like Borini, he reminds me of Kuyt, but I don't think he's quite good enough right now, let him return to Serie A and then sell him in the summer :(

Kenka

Maybe your brain has just snapped
That it did.
Kenka I still think you're overreacting but whatever. I hope your club gets better results either with or without Hyypiä in the future, at least you aren't as annoying as Dortmund or Bayern.

Is anyone else playing BF4 MP? It's great, I haven't had so much fun with any online multiplayer game since BFBC2.
Overreacting is not always bad. I am shaken, I am appaled by what happenned but I presume I got rid of all excess of hormones that would cloud my judgement. If my analysis still seems unsatsifying, it's ok, I am not in the board and can't make things happen anyway. Regarding Hyppiä, yeah, finnish him.

And BF4, I haven't played it yet at all. I could but I still have a large backlog of 3DS/PC games to finish first.
@Kenka, do one you mug

I'd be livid in your position, but being second in a league that contains the best team in the world and Bayern Munich negates it to being almost irrelevant in a fortnight's time. If we lost 0-5 to Napoli or someone, I'd be embarassed, pissed off, annoyed, incredulous, maybe a little worried. But would I be calling for Rodgers' head? No chance.

Even the resident Spurs fans here are backing AVB, and their team looks frankly broken in many aspects. When you have such positives, you have to be willing to take the odd dreadful result on the chin and look at the bigger picture, and hope that the staff and team learn from it and don't let their heads drop. Otherwise you end up putting your club on the managerial merry-go-round, and before you know it you're hiring Alan Curbishley in December
It's a sound speech.
This learning money Hyppïa just gave to Moyes, I hope it is worth it. I would believe in Hyppiä again if the results become consistent, and especially, if he succeeds doing the most important part of his job : which is to keep the team focused and motivated.

To be fair with me, AVB is nor better nor worse than his predecessor while Hyppiä doesn't compare favourably to Lewandowski. That might also be a reason why I am so judgemental now.

kharma45

Have to agree with that, and KidA's comments on Giggs; at least Ando looks to drive forward with the ball and pass it ahead of him. Cleverley's been utterly disappointing this season.

Cleverly has been a waste of a shirt this year, has contributed so little and is frankly a liability. If it was Anderson starting those games and playing like that he'd be fucking crucified but I feel that since Clev is English, hell because he's an academy product, he isn't judged as harshly.

In the few minutes Anderson had last night it seems as if he did more than Cleverly has all season. I fear though we'll revert to Clev-Afro against Spurs which would be... dreadful.

Wilbur

Banned
I always presumed Bertrand to be Ashley Cole's successor, so I doubt he'd be available for such a low price.

Looks like Jose prefers Rapey Dave there at the moment so Bertrand's effectively third choice. Can't believe the balls on Di Matteo starting him in the CL final :lol. He was great though.

Wilbur

Banned
Kenka please you know I don't speak Spanish

Cleverly has been a waste of a shirt this year, has contributed so little and is frankly a liability.

In the few minutes Anderson had last night it seems as if he did more than Cleverly has all season. I fear though we'll revert to Clev-Afro against Spurs which would be... dreadful.

It really would be, and it's likely to be the pairing we play :lol. Fuck me, a 40 year old and a centre back is our best midfield pairing with Carrick out.

It'll be Jones and Evans at the back though I think, which is nice; Valencia's definitely the right choice for the right flank, and if Van Persie's back I'd stick with Kagawa over Januzaj and Nani for that left flank based on last night.

sohois

We've been linked with him a few times, I think the first was under Dalglish when we bought anyone who was English and played more than 4 games in the Premier League.

I think its just a recycled story tbh, but with Cissoko only on loan and Enrique not being quite good enough, we'll be looking at a few players for next season, but I always presumed Bertrand to be Ashley Cole's successor, so I doubt he'd be available for such a low price.

I like Borini, he reminds me of Kuyt, but I don't think he's quite good enough right now, let him return to Serie A and then sell him in the summer :(

I said this when Cissokho was brought in and I'll say it again: Enrique is miles better than fucking Bertrand. Bertrand would be a better backup than Cissokho but offers absolutely nothing above what could be got from Robinson or Smith in the reserves.

As you have already surmised, this is surely a recycled story since Bertrand played a lot under Rodgers and Liverpool once made an inquiry.

Ashleys successor is Luke Shaw. Mou gonna get Roman to cash in for him soon.

Looks like Jose prefers Rapey Dave there at the moment so Bertrand's effectively third choice. Can't believe the balls on Di Matteo starting him in the CL final :lol. He was great though.

He certainly did his job well of just shutting down his side, what a match to get your CL debut in. Problem is he doesn't really look like anything more than a very ordinary player at this point, for that price : lets sell.

Kenka

Basically, he said Bayer did the entire Bundesliga a big disservice. They :
  • lost at home by an incredible margin to a opponent that everybody agrees on the fact that they are a shadow of their glorious past self
  • touted out loud before the game that they were ready to hand ManU their ass
  • lost their nerves in the middle of a qualifying game
  • claimed that their ascension mirrored Bundesliga's recent recognition on the international level
All of that on free TV. A lot of people were watching this game thinking they could assess Bundesliga's level based on the performance. The result is disappointing to say the least.
I am not angry anymore but Bayer's display was a disgrace for all German/Bundesliga fans.

It really would be, and it's likely to be the pairing we play :lol. Fuck me, a 40 year old and a centre back is our best midfield pairing with Carrick out.

It'll be Jones and Evans at the back though I think, which is nice; Valencia's definitely the right choice for the right flank, and if Van Persie's back I'd stick with Kagawa over Januzaj and Nani for that left flank based on last night.

I have no idea when Januzaj will play again. Everton is after Tottenham, followed by Newcastle. I'm thinking he will have to wait until the CL game and then the cup game against Stoke. I want to him to have a sub appearance in the following 3 games, but I don't think it will happen. The up coming 3 fixtures are why I wanted him to be on the bench over Young. Due to the international break he's had a long break.

Linius

Bayers game from yesterday doesn't really represent how they are. They just bottled massively. I saw they won their previous eight CL games at home.

The worst thing of all is that EPL fans feel like their league is so amazing again and the Bundesliga is just Dortmund and München :p

Basically, he said Bayer did the entire Bundesliga a big disservice. They :
  • lost at home by an incredible margin to a opponent that everybody agrees on the fact that they are a shadow of their glorious past self
  • touted out loud before the game that they were ready to hand ManU their ass
  • lost their nerves in the middle of a qualifying game
  • claimed that their ascension mirrored Bundesliga's recent recognition on the international level
All of that on free TV. A lot of people were watching this game thinking they could assess Bundesliga's level based on the performance. The result is disappointing to say the least.
I am not angry anymore but Bayer's display was a disgrace for all German/Bundesliga fans.

How is that Bayer's fault? :p

Will Tarantino ever go back to making more grounded films, or will he carry on with the stream of larger-than-life, flashy, bombastic films? Would like to see him try and make something as interesting as Pulp Fiction again

I know Pulp Fiction is larger-than-life, but you know what I mean

Timurid

Bayers game from yesterday doesn't really represent how they are. They just bottled massively. I saw they won their previous eight CL games at home.

The worst thing of all is that EPL fans feel like their league is so amazing again and the Bundesliga is just Munches :p
Fixed.

Wilbur

Banned

The worst thing of all is that EPL fans feel like their league is so amazing again and the Bundesliga is just Dortmund and München :p

Well we're not stupid. Chelsea just lost, of course. I think a lot of foreign league fans mistake us saying the PL is the best league for meaning we have all the best teams. But Bayern and Barca winning is a procession at this point, no one is shocked when they win 4-0. But Spurs losing 6-0 to City? United and Cardiff drawing, Chelsea losing to Newcastle? It happens every week in the PL, it's far less predictable and it's got a closer quality of teams throughout the league. Also no one can defend so it's fun.

Hixx

Well obv

PL: Arsenal City Man United Sunderland Liverpool Chelsea
BL: Bayern Dortmund
LL: Real Madrid Atletico Madrid
Serie A: Juventus

Those are the only clubs worth talking about come on

bud

Well we're not stupid. Chelsea just lost, of course. I think a lot of foreign league fans mistake us saying the PL is the best league for meaning we have all the best teams. But Bayern and Barca winning is a procession at this point, no one is shocked when they win 4-0. But Spurs losing 6-0 to City? United and Cardiff drawing, Chelsea losing to Newcastle? It happens every week in the PL, it's far less predictable and it's got a closer quality of teams throughout the league. Also no one can defend so it's fun.

sounds a lot like the eredivisie.

sounds a lot like the premier league.

Nah. There are some brass players who've won things in England because of their teammates, and there are yet more brass players who've shown sporadically good form like Amir Zaki and Papiss Cisse. They get found out within a year though. Look at Altidore though. Over there, he's Falcao. Over here, he's Heskey. Afonso Alves. Plays for Heerenveen, the next Trezeguet. Comes to England, scores a brace against Man Utd, falls off the face of the earth.

Buying players from Holland is a crapshoot.

TeddyBoy

As you have already surmised, this is surely a recycled story since Bertrand played a lot under Rodgers and Liverpool once made an inquiry.

I'd presume so, Rodgers seems good at identifying targets who he hasn't worked with before, its the ones he has experience with who seem to cloud his judgement a little.

Ashleys successor is Luke Shaw. Mou gonna get Roman to cash in for him soon.

He certainly did his job well of just shutting down his side, what a match to get your CL debut in. Problem is he doesn't really look like anything more than a very ordinary player at this point, for that price : lets sell.

Luke Shaw is very good for his age, but a move to Chelsea is surely a couple years away yet. Bertrand is 24 and can cover for a year or two for Chelsea whilst Shaw gains experience at Southampton, he's nothing special but solid enough.

Carbonox

Nah. There are some brass players who've won things in England because of their teammates, and there are yet more brass players who've shown sporadically good form like Amir Zaki and Papiss Cisse. They get found out within a year though. Look at Altidore though. Over there, he's Falcao. Over here, he's Heskey. Afonso Alves. Plays for Heerenveen, the next Trezeguet. Comes to England, scores a brace against Man Utd, falls off the face of the earth.

Buying players from Holland is a crapshoot.

Don't forget Kezman! He now runs a cafe in Serbia. :lol

Top Bottom