• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Hixx

Greece have moved above England in the FIFA Rankings?

TadkV.gif

Wilbur

Banned
PL vs Bundesliga in the CL this season: 18-7 in 7 games

PL vs Serie A in the CL this season: 2-0 in 1 game

PL vs La Liga in the CL this season: 1-0 in 2 games

Kenka please you know I don't speak Spanish

It really would be, and it's likely to be the pairing we play :lol. Fuck me, a 40 year old and a centre back is our best midfield pairing with Carrick out.

It'll be Jones and Evans at the back though I think, which is nice; Valencia's definitely the right choice for the right flank, and if Van Persie's back I'd stick with Kagawa over Januzaj and Nani for that left flank based on last night.

Nah, he turned utter shit the moment he got put out on the left. I'm sick of square pegs in round holes tbh.

Didn't you support Liverpool? If you don't Luis you can send him back, so we can have an impact in the CL too ;)

That's what I mean though. Sometimes you get brilliant players from Holland, whose performances over there and stats are backed up with genuine quality, like Suarez and Vertonghen (usually.)

But then there are players who seem to play about as well as those two did over there, and they turn out to be utter shite. The scouting team has to be extra-sure of what they're getting into because it seems so easy for relatively poor players to stand out in Holland.

Thank fuck we took the risk with Suarez though (as much of a knob as he is)

Rooney and Gerrard's set piece improvement since the summer is odd, 90% of them seem to be on the money at the moment

Wilbur

Banned
Think I remember some of you dutchies telling us Bony would tear shit up as well. Still early days, and his goal return is decent (albeit a fair few in the EL), but he doesn't look great.

Anyone here planning on using Amazon US to get some PS4 games?

Erm...how does that work exactly? Before I drop a load of money on it now...

arkon

Didn't you support Liverpool? If you don't Luis you can send him back, so we can have an impact in the CL too ;)

Some players work out. Like Suarez and Van Nistelrooy. Or RVP eventually. Then you have the Dirk Kuyts who have to be converted into defensive wingers to be useful.

Think I remember some of you dutchies telling us Bony would tear shit up as well. Still early days, and his goal return is decent (albeit a fair few in the EL), but he doesn't look great.

I've not seen much of Swansea this season, but does he cop abuse because of his quality or because of his attitude and workrate?

edit: Do one arkon. <3 Dirk

Linius

That's what I mean though. Sometimes you get brilliant players from Holland, who's performances over there and stats are backed up with genuine quality, like Suarez and Vertonghen (usually.)

But then there are players who seem to play about as well as those two did over there, and they turn out to be utter shite. The scouting team has to be extra-sure of what they're getting into because it seems so easy for relatively poor players to stand out in Holland.

Thank fuck we took the risk with Suarez though (as much of a knob as he is)

Rooney and Gerrard's set piece improvement since the summer is odd, 90% of them seem to be on the money at the moment

The thing is, you shouldn't buy players from clubs that aren't Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV. The step from the other clubs to a big club in big league is just too big for most players. They don't play in Europe and they don't play to win titles. Their goal is just do the best they can but they know they're no serious competition for the title. Even a player like Maher who went from AZ (not too bad of a club) to PSV is having trouble fitting in there. Everything goes faster than he's used to, the fans are more demanding and everything is about winning the league. It's such a big difference from what he was used to. So much more pressure on good results and criticism after a few bad games.

EDIT

Must add btw that Feyenoord obviously isn't the club they were anymore for quite some time now. Maybe Twente can pitch in there, but it's basically just Ajax and PSV now.

Think it's a bit unfair to drop him after he played so well last night. Plus it'll only be against Walker lol

Point is he played so well because he was in the middle. Patting him on the back and giving him a place on the left because you cant drop him on principle is the wrong way to go imo. Either play him in the centre or not at all. And he is worth playing there as last night hopefully showed. Kagawa + [Other] should be the default if RVP/Rooney is unavailable.

The thing is, you shouldn't buy players from clubs that aren't Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV. The step from the other clubs to a big club in big league is just too big for most players. They don't play in Europe and they don't play to win titles. Their goal is just do the best they can but they know they're no serious competition for the title. Even a player like Maher who went from AZ (not too bad of a club) to PSV is having trouble fitting in there. Everything goes faster than he's used to, the fans are more demanding and everything is about winning the league. It's such a big difference from what he was used to. So much more pressure on good results and criticism after a few bad games.

EDIT

Must add btw that Feyenoord obviously isn't the club they were anymore for quite some time now. Maybe Twente can pitch in there, but it's basically just Ajax and PSV now.

Christ, forgot all about Maher. He was the next big Dutch player after last season wasn't he?

Hixx

Anyone here planning on using Amazon US to get some PS4 games?

Erm...how does that work exactly? Before I drop a load of money on it now...

Buy digital codes from Amazon US

Make US PSN account

Input codes into US PSN account

Make US PSN account the Primary account on your PS4

Play cheap games on any account on that PS4

Ask Kyoufu though I think he did it with FIFA 14.

Linius

Christ, forgot all about Maher. He was the next big Dutch player after last season wasn't he?

Yeah, still is. He'll get there eventually. I believe he was injured for a while this season and he's having troubles finding his spot on the team at PSV. He was pretty mad for being benched. He retweeted a PSV fan who said that Toivonen is a twat and Maher should play instead :lol

Yeah, still is. He'll get there eventually. I believe he was injured for a while this season and he's having troubles finding his spot on the team at PSV. He was pretty mad for being benched. He retweeted a PSV fan who said that Toivonen is a twat and Maher should play instead :lol

And with one piece of funny information, the M'Vila vibes are already strong :p

edit: People who consider the first seasons of Breaking Bad to be in the dark comedy genre should be sent to Belize. Having darkly comic moments does not make you a dark comedy

Linius

And with one piece of funny information, the M'Vila vibes are already strong :p

PSV fined him for it :p

I personally quite enjoy the 'crisis' at PSV. Cocu should really be more of a leader, or boss if you will. They said that Toivonen was going to play in the second team if he wouldn't sign a new contract. He ended up not being sold and not singing a new contract either. Guess what? This weeks news was that Toivonen can't even play for the second team anymore because he already played 15 games with the first team. Dat PSV policy.

We had a similar situation at Ajax when De Boer just started with El Hamdaoui. He got set back to the second team and just stayed there till he was finally gone. Case solved.

PSV fined him for it :p

I personally quite enjoy the 'crisis' at PSV. Cocu should really be more of a leader, or boss if you will. They said that Toivonen was going to play in the second team if he wouldn't sign a new contract. He ended up not being sold and not singing a new contract either. Guess what? This weeks news was that Toivonen can't even play for the second team anymore because he already played 15 games with the first team. Dat PSV policy.

We had a similar situation at Ajax when De Boer just started with El Hamdaoui. He got set back to the second team and just stayed there till he was finally gone. Case solved.

Speaking of Dutch players with bad mentalities, are Babel and Drenthe's careers at the top level done? Drenthe seems to be unremarkable at Reading (if he's even still there) and Babel has moved to some mid-tier Turkish team. Says on wikiedia that Ajax offered him a contract but he preferred to leave, which I somehow doubt

It really would be, and it's likely to be the pairing we play :lol. Fuck me, a 40 year old and a centre back is our best midfield pairing with Carrick out.

It'll be Jones and Evans at the back though I think, which is nice; Valencia's definitely the right choice for the right flank, and if Van Persie's back I'd stick with Kagawa over Januzaj and Nani for that left flank based on last night.

Jones in midfield has to be the first name on the team sheet, surely. It's crazy that it's come to this but with Carrick injured he's the linchpin of us having a solid midfield now - the player Fellaini wishes he could be.

Linius

Speaking of Dutch players with bad mentalities, are Babel and Drenthe's careers at the top level done? Drenthe seems to be unremarkable at Reading (if he's even still there) and Babel has moved to some mid-tier Turkish team. Says on wikiedia that Ajax offered him a contract but he preferred to leave, which I somehow doubt

Babel made a wise choice. He went to Kasimpasa. That club is coached by former Ajax legend Arveladze who got mentored by Van Gaal for a big part. Currently ranked second behind Fenerbache and thus above Gala for example. Of course it was a bit of a gamble but the club managed to buy a few just above average players and they try to play total football. Not sure how that's all working out, but the results are there.

Babel made a wise choice. He went to Kasimpasa. That club is coached by former Ajax legend Arveladze who got mentored by Van Gaal for a big part. Currently ranked second behind Fenerbache and thus above Gala for example. Of course it was a bit of a gamble but the club managed to buy a few just above average players and they try to play total football. Not sure how that's all working out, but the results are there.

Ah, that's good to hear. Always liked Babel even though he wasn't very smart on the pitch. Think he was very badly treated by Rafa tbh, and could have made something more of himself if given the gametime that I feel he'd earned in that vital stage of his career

Wilbur

Banned
Gotta say, Leverkusen's attitude as a club is pissing me off:

"It is not the worst Leverkusen performance I've seen -- remember I've got 30 years to choose from. I saw them at Arsenal when they lost 4-1. I saw them lose to Monaco 4-0, to Barcelona 7-1, to Bayern Munich 5-1. It's not that they are bad, they are second in the Bundesliga after all –- this is just not a team for this Champions League. Leverkusen are like Viktoria Plzen and Steaua Bucharest, this is not their level."

That sentiment was echoed by Leverkusen director Rudi Voeller, who said: "We only spent a few minutes on the same level as United and after the first goal it was a breakdown. We have to be a realistic, we have no chance to play with teams like Manchester United. It's another league. It's a hard night but we have to go on."

Bollocks. Sociedad are a club with half the resources of Leverkusen and can draw with us. Steaua can draw with Gazprom Schalke. Basel can beat Chelsea.

Cardiff can draw with us, West Brom can beat us.

Leverkusen are fucking weird. They've got tons of money compared to a lot of their league and a fair amount of the CL.

Kenka

Gotta say, Leverkusen's attitude as a club is pissing me off:

Bollocks. Sociedad are a club with half the resources of Leverkusen and can draw with us. Steaua can draw with Gazprom Schalke. Basel can beat Chelsea.

Cardiff can draw with us, West Brom can beat us.

Leverkusen are fucking weird. They've got tons of money compared to a lot of their league and a fair amount of the CL.
If Völler said that then he is part of the problem, I dare to say a big chunk of it.
The problem : he has done much for the club. But at the same time, he is the posterchild of the Neverkusen entourage.

How can he summon such excuses of excuses, really. Fuck him.

Gambit

Tomorrow I will finally be able to buy Mario 3D World. Here's why footy-gaf should be interested:

mx0okCy.jpg

stolen from a post on the gaming side

Top Bottom