• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Zabojnik

Sucks when a team doesn't pass the group stage with 10pts

Rafa.JPG

Champions League ‏@ChampionsLeague 3m
UPDATE: The @GalatasaraySK v @juventusfc match will resume at 13.00CET tomorrow. #UCL

13:00 CET? Why so early? What about the people that bought the ticket and will be unable to attend because of, you know, work?

This kinda feels unfair to Juve though (and Gala I suppose) considering they have their leagues to think of as well. I don't get it....the pictures show some snow but how hard could it have been to remove it and resume the game? Also did no one check the weather forecast? If they said there was a big chance for heavy snowing something should have been done about it.

To be honest our next match is with Sassuolo at Juventus Stadium. A team full of our secret agents, like Marrone, Zaza and Berardi. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
@ManUtd: DM: "I think we could be classed as one of the favourites, but we'll have to improve if we're to keep progressing in the @ChampionsLeague."

9wYdc.gif

Yen

I despised Keane when he was playing for Man United, but really think he's brilliant now that he has retired. Great character and pundit.

Lightning

Banned
Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 5m
Can't believe Pellegrini didn't know 4-2 would have been enough. Truly incredible.

The Engineer, folks.
Such a fuck up. Now they get Madrid, Barcelona, PSG or Atletico. That's their options unless Arsenal screw up then they may get Dortmund as well.

Salvadora

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 5m
Can't believe Pellegrini didn't know 4-2 would have been enough. Truly incredible.

The Engineer, folks.
The result highlights how poor a decision it was to rest a number of City's key players.

They could have finished top of the group, potentially.
I despised Keane when he was playing for Man United, but really think he's brilliant now that he has retired. Great character and pundit.
Really? He comes across as a bitter knob :lol.

Suen

Everyone is available except Sagna. Podolski is back training but won't be in the squad.
I would have liked if some of those players rested for our game against city. 12 points and we haven't even qualified, Marseille is useless. I wonder how the United, Chelsea and City would have done in this group. United would probably be at Marseille's level. City could perhaps come at the top of the group, would probably beat Napoli but not sure about Dortmund. Dunno about Chelsea, they tend to be inconsistent in CL group games lately so second or third with bad luck.

Ushojax

I remember when we were playing Villa away in 11/12, the score was 1-1 and a win would have put 3rd place in our hands with just Fulham to play and defeat would have meant 4th at worst. Harry's only substitution was to put Parker on.

At least he testified in court that he couldn't read or write though, he had an excuse.

Suen

Rafa.JPG

13:00 CET? Why so early? What about the people that bought the ticket and will be unable to attend because of, you know, work?

To be honest our next match is with Sassuolo at Juventus Stadium. A team full of our secret agents, like Marrone, Zaza and Berardi. I'm sure we'll be fine.
The schedule may be to your advantage but what I mean is that things like this shouldn't even happen, that's the frustrating part.

Dutch TV just said that Dutch legend and one true God Clarence Seedorf will be the Milan head coach next season.

MilanGAF, you have my sword.
Madrid legend.

for two years

Gambit

They are exposed because of Pep defensive tactics. This is not a matter of keep signing better and better players, but Pep having to rework the defensive part of the game (completely missing like in LvG days).

Badstuber would look like a clown in this system, like he did under LvG.

Agreed, Pep does not strenghten his defense enough. But my beef with Dante is an ongoing one. Even last year, I thought he was made to look very good by Jupp's system and by Martinez bossing the midfield. I just think he is a mediocre defender and both Boateng and Badstuber are superior.

I was not trying to say we lost because of Dante alone, though. This was a true team-effort.

wedward

I would have liked if some of those players rested for our game against city. 12 points and we haven't even qualified, Marseille is useless. I wonder how the United, Chelsea and City would have done in this group. United would probably be at Marseille's level. City could perhaps come at the top of the group, would probably beat Napoli but not sure about Dortmund. Dunno about Chelsea, they tend to be inconsistent in CL group games lately so second or third with bad luck.

Wenger said 2 or 3 players will be rested. I think it'll be Santi and Ramsey.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Meanwhile, Juventus had to find a different hotel, as the one they had been staying in was booked up. The night was even longer, as at 12.30am local time they were still stuck in traffic trying to leave the stadium.

Circus

Kikarian

Just come back from the match. Wow, the atmosphere was great.

We looked a little lackadaisical in some parts of the match and drifted until half time. But it's an improvement I gues.

Suen

Wenger said 2 or 3 players will be rested. I think it'll be Santi and Ramsey.
To begin with we don't have many choices between in who we want to rest and in addition both games are really important. If we have a meltdown tomorrow we could be on our way out of CL but I believe Benitez will somehow screw it up. I'm just cautious after Napoli won against Dortmund at home.

Suen

Just come back from the match. Wow, the atmosphere was great.

We looked a little lackadaisical in some parts of the match and drifted until half time. But it's an improvement I gues.
Was it your first time to see Moyes in real? How was it?

Glad you enjoyed the game!

Zabojnik

I think Ancelotti could be interested again, but let him win La Decima for us first.

Mmm, I don't know. Nothing against Carletto, but I think we'd need a coach that can squeeze 120% out of every single player. I don't think that's him. He's evolved into more of a 'manager of superstar players' type.

Ushojax

Is it true that Arsenal drop to the Europa League if they lose by 3 goals?

Benitez pls

Salvadora

If Cunte ever leaves us, we should go for Martinez. Brilliant manager, imo.
I think Martinez is a great manager and I'm thoroughly impressed with how he's got Everton playing, but he needs more time to prove himself at a higher level.

A couple of years and he could be ripe for a big job. I'd be very interested to see how he does over the course of the season (and beyond), when the Moyes elements of the team dissipate.

Suen

Mmm, I don't know. Nothing against Carletto, but I think we'd need a coach that can squeeze 120% out of every single player. I don't think that's him. He's evolved into more of a 'manager of superstar players' type.
He sure has problems choosing the right superstars sometimes........but he's a good coach :)

Tomorrow's fixtures are more exciting:

Milan/Ajax
Zenit/Porto
Arsenal/Dortmund/Napoli
Basel/Schalke 04

Nice!

He sure has problems choosing the right superstars sometimes........but he's a good coach :)

Tomorrow's fixtures are more exciting:

Milan/Ajax
Zenit/Porto
Arsenal/Dortmund/Napoli
Basel/Schalke 04

Nice!

Zenit's not playing Porto. We already shit on them twice. We're playing Austria Vienna.

Linius

So excited for tomorrows game. If we can play like we've been doing the past couple weeks we can actually make it. It's a shame we can't use Boilesen and Veltman in the back. On the other hand, Bojan seems to be in form and could be of good use. The most important thing is that Blind - Klaassen - Serero midfield though.

Lightning

Banned
It's really inexcusable. It's his job to know those things. Hope they draw Madrid and get smashed.
I hope they draw Madrid then smash Madrid. Then they can draw Bayern and get smashed while draining the crap out of their squad. Pick up some injuries, drop pl points, thank you very much

dc89

To the people blaming The Engineer:

Blame the other staff too. There's enough of them. Besides, it's not the worst thing a City manager has done on the touch line. Once our manager had us playing for a draw, wasting time thinking it would save us from relegation, keeping it in the corners...then the fucking penny dropped.

Plus, it's the first time in UCL history that Bayern have lost from being 2-0 up at home. First time that's happened in any competition in 38 years.

Finally - no ones gonna want to draw us on the back of that performance. Every team will want to avoid Manchester City.

Top Bottom