• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

And before anyone says I am crazy about Barca having to sell someone, bear in mind their profit for last year was "only" €32m despite revenue of just shy of €500m. They spent a lot on Neymar's transfer and took on his huge contract (Neymar's is on par with Messi's, both now far less than Ronaldo's and likely Iniesta's), they've now given Iniesta a major raise, and Messi is due one shortly as well. To not make a loss, I think they'll need to sell someone worth a decent amount of cash.

Dani Alves to Liverpool for £12m. Rick Parry redeemed.

sohois

It'll be curious how this affects Barca in general though. They're under investigation now by the Spanish government for receiving improper funds, they're probably going to have to pay more money in the Neymar transfer (either to the Spanish government via taxes or to the third party owner who got snubbed since most of Neymar's transfer fee went to him and his dad) and Iniesta was angling for a HUGE pay raise (and must have received it). I wouldn't be surprised if they're forced to sell Alexis or someone along those lines soon.

Barca, much like Madrid, don't really operate under the normal rules of most clubs. For that matter, none of the big clubs operate under the normal rules of most businesses. They can all afford to make big losses for several years without needing to sell a soul.

I would be fucking shocked if they needed to sell anyone.

It'll be curious how this affects Barca in general though. They're under investigation now by the Spanish government for receiving improper funds, they're probably going to have to pay more money in the Neymar transfer (either to the Spanish government via taxes or to the third party owner who got snubbed since most of Neymar's transfer fee went to him and his dad) and Iniesta was angling for a HUGE pay raise (and must have received it). I wouldn't be surprised if they're forced to sell Alexis or someone along those lines soon.
Spanish government? Are you sure, I find that hard to believe. Maybe you're referring to the European investigation on the matter? Too bad that the European Commissioner for competition, Almunia, is not only a Bilbao fan and club member, one of the teams under scrutiny, but a former minister in the government that agreed on the tax break in the first place **

Meier

Spanish government? Are you sure, I find that hard to believe. Maybe you're referring to the European investigation on the matter? Too bad that the European Commissioner for competition, Almunia, is not only a Bilbao fan and club member, one of the teams under scrutiny, but a former minister in the government that agreed on the tax break in the first place **

Ahh, that must be it (European rather than just Spanish). I know they (Barca), Madrid and others are under investigation. Could end up being nothing, but the Neymar transfer fee is definitely going to go up.

Barca, much like Madrid, don't really operate under the normal rules of most clubs. For that matter, none of the big clubs operate under the normal rules of most businesses. They can all afford to make big losses for several years without needing to sell a soul.

I would be fucking shocked if they needed to sell anyone.

Oh yeah, Barca can obviously absorb a loss, but there's more to it than that typically. I'm not exactly sure how the profits for Barca are distributed, but most all clubs have to pay out a percentage of their profits to the major shareholders and these guys will obviously not accept earning nothing. There is an expectation of profitability.

Wes

venison crêpe
GfzFuy3.gif

Linius

Let me present my favourite TV shows of 2013. This is just for series that aired in 2013 in full. So no such stuff as Person of Interest or Parks & Rec. that go on in 2014. These kind of shows have a certain amount of fillers anyways so they'll never make it top ten anyways. Note that I've also watched and enjoyed The Bridge, Orphan Black and Hannibal but they ended up just outside of top ten.

01. Breaking Bad Season 5 Pt. 2 (AMC)
02. Game of Thrones Season 3 (HBO)
03. Boardwalk Empire Season 4 (HBO)
04. Masters of Sex Season 1 (Showtime)
05. Mad Men Season 6 (AMC)
06. Justified Season 4 (FX)
07. House of Cards Season 1 (Netflix)
08. Orange is the New Black Season 1 (Netflix)
09. Archer Season 4 (FX)
10. The Americans Season 1 (FX)

/offtopicyeuh

Ahh, that must be it (European rather than just Spanish). I know they (Barca), Madrid and others are under investigation. Could end up being nothing, but the Neymar transfer fee is definitely going to go up.
They opened a similar investigation regarding state aid to a bunch of Dutch teams earlier this year (even though we're talking a much smaller figure there of course), and I don't think anything has come out of that yet, so, whatever happens, it might take a while :p

Personally, I find it ridiculous that the conditions under which competing football clubs operate vastly differ not only on the European level, and not much can be done about that until, eventually, the fiscal union is fully realized, but also within domestic leagues. It's just unfair.

Hixx

Anyone want a free FUT gold pack for Xbox 360/Xbone? Got one in my email!

no but lets play fifa tonight

---

Our SF against United is 48 hrs after our game against Carlisle. Why the fuck could we not play on the Wednesday after we have been forced to play the FA Cup on the Sunday?

Stupid.

The De Jong Google+ hangout just ended, probably the worst one so far. Shame, mostly because he's becoming my favourite player. Anyway, he also said this:
Nigel De Jong said:
I like to look good, but it's not like I'm always in front of a mirror. I'm not like Cristiano Ronaldo who is always doing his hair.
ibzlVJ5a3hhPEd.gif

Hixx

Well how else are they going to fool people in to spending money on that mode?

I haven't spent a penny (tho I wanted to, stupid DLC region locking...) and I'm having no problems. You get 500+ a game and even in division 7 you get 6000 coins for winning the league.

Salvadora

Let me present my favourite TV shows of 2013. This is just for series that aired in 2013 in full. So no such stuff as Person of Interest or Parks & Rec. that go on in 2014. These kind of shows have a certain amount of fillers anyways so they'll never make it top ten anyways. Note that I've also watched and enjoyed The Bridge, Orphan Black and Hannibal but they ended up just outside of top ten.

01. Breaking Bad Season 5 Pt. 2 (AMC)
02. Game of Thrones Season 3 (HBO)
03. Boardwalk Empire Season 4 (HBO)
04. Masters of Sex Season 1 (Showtime)
05. Mad Men Season 6 (AMC)
06. Justified Season 4 (FX)
07. House of Cards Season 1 (Netflix)
08. Orange is the New Black Season 1 (Netflix)
09. Archer Season 4 (FX)
10. The Americans Season 1 (FX)

/offtopicyeuh
Is Masters of Sex any good?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So Neymar might actually cost more than Bale? Delicious.

-_-

Hixx

I like the thrill of the hunt.

I'm never going to play enough to be able to buy a Robben or Ribery.

So I will just beat them with Muller and Traore
p0QHO.gif
p0QHO.gif

Linius

Is Masters of Sex any good?

No, not in the slightest. That's why it's so high up there.

It's a really good drama series imo. It's everything you don't expect from Showtime.

@L1NETT

Ah, completely forgot to mention I enjoyed Luther as well. Idris Elba is so good.

Mine;

Arrow, First half of Season 2
Utopia
Black Mirror
The Fall
Luther
Veep
Ripper Street
Touch of Cloth 2

Damn good year, still got Sherlock to come.

Wait, is Sherlock on at Christmas? Fuck, wanted to catch up before the next series

dat cringeworthy Christmas message from Rodgers. I love him.

Hixx

Apart from the usual suspects (GoT, BB, SoA and Walking Dead) I've not watched a lot of TV this year. Not even Luther.

Though I did recently start watching Arrow and Always Sunny on Netflix.

Then I started rewatching Chuck for the 600th time on Netflix last night
KuGsj.gif

Oh Yvonne Strahovski... what I'd do...

Linius

My show of the year.

Person of Fucking Interest.

HOLY SHIT!

They really kicked it up a notch with those last episodes before the short hiatus. It's just too bad that long seasons always have a few fillers. You still enjoy the show, it's just not a hit on every episode. I wish all shows would stick to like 12 to 15 episodes for a season. In shows like Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire there's usually not even one episode that feels like a filler.

Mastadon

Banned
I love Person of Interest. I'm waiting until Season 3 has finished so I can marathon it, but S2 was incredible.

Hannibal is the other stand out show of the year for me. Mads <3

Linius

Person of Interest is far too convoluted now.

You think so? I feel like they're doing great now. There's a few bigger organisations that form a threat. Then there's the mystique about the machine itself. And whatever else is coming that the show is going to put it's focus on now.

Meier

I think the only three new shows we're watching this season are Almost Human, Sleepy Hollow and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Fox did well.

Edited to reflect "season" rather than year.

Salvadora

Hannibal is my show of the year.

I've never seen cinematography like it. Nearly every shot is like a painting.
You think so? I feel like they're doing great now. There's a few bigger organisations that form a threat. Then there's the mystique about the machine itself. And whatever else is coming that the show is going to put it's focus on now.
It's one of the few television shows which has kept me engaged with its procedural elements, but they've muddled it with bad organisation after bad organisation. Also: Shaw and co has ruined the dynamic I liked so much.

It just doesn't do it for me like it used to.

God, Darts just winds me up. The players, the commentators, the shitty SoccerAM-style songs the fans sing, the fancy dress. All of it. What a pile of shite.

Linius

God, Darts just winds me up. The players, the commentators, the shitty SoccerAM-style songs the fans sing, the fancy dress. All of it. What a pile of shite.

I love to play it, but I don't really watch it anymore. I've participated in quite a few tournaments of the local darts association. Never won anything, but it was fun. Mainly hanging out there while losing a few games of darts to guys who are better than me anyways. I couldn't even practice at home since my mum didn't want holes in the floor :lol

sneaky77

I think the only three new shows we're watching this season are Almost Human, Sleepy Hollow and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Fox did well.

Edited to reflect "season" rather than year.

I haven't watched almost human, but sleepy hollow and brooklyn nine nine have been pretty good, other new shows I have enjoyed is been dracula and trophy wife

I love to play it, but I don't really watch it anymore. I've participated in quite a few tournaments of the local darts association. Never won anything, but it was fun. Mainly hanging out there while losing a few games of darts to guys who are better than me anyways. I couldn't even practice at home since my mum didn't want holes in the floor :lol

No wonder you lost. The darts go in the board bruv.

Top Bottom