• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Baki

Who Skrtel? More than likely, although if Agger goes we may well keep him. He's been poor today, but he's played well so far this season.

Yeah. Skrtel or Agger. One of them needs to go.

I'm glad I made Suarez captain. Best striker in the world.

Labadal

-Great to get 3 points
- Suarez is a beast
- Great 1st half
-Complecent 2nd half
-Can't defend corners or freekicks
-Henderson impresses yet again
-Lucky the ref didn't award Cardiff a penalty

Mastadon

Banned
Sakho is so fucking good.

He's amazing. Such a fucking rock at the back.

Fair play to Cardiff, they gave a good account of themselves in the second half. The change to three at the back took all the tempo out the match though, good tactical play by Rodgers.

Tegris

At least we've left something in the tank for Boxing Day. Decent performance for the most part. Still desperately need to fix our defending of set pieces.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE

Feorax

Another game in which we lost the second half.

If we're 3 up at half time then that's probably not going to be too much of an issue this season to be fair :p

Suarez on 19 goals now after 12 games. For reference, this is how last season's race for the golden boot ended.

1. Robin van Persie 26
2. Luis Suárez 23
3. Gareth Bale 21
4. Christian Benteke 19
5. Michu 18

Also, credit to Cardiff and their fans today. Did very well in the circumstances and made plenty of noise.

Meh, not a game we expected to get anything from anyway, so no biggie, just hope we can get at least 4 points from our next 2 home games. Can't help but feel the Tan/Malky situation is having a big affect on the players.

sohois

Liverpool pessimists still out in force I see. I guess it's hard to change habits after the past few years, but still quite a joyless bunch in here. And I'm not about to say Liverpool are winning the league either.

A routine victory really, I'm surprised once again that Rodgers chose not to bring Aspas on or rest Suarez. Liverpool continued to dominate possession and chances in the second half yet from posts in here one would think they were under the cosh? The team understandably turned it down a gear with the game won, so what's with the whining? Even the goal can mostly be put down to the substitution leaving the players unprepared rather than direct failings.

Stunningly poor second half performance when we had a chance to put them to the sword. If we're going to man mark, fucking man mark. Getting clearly outnumbered like that is unacceptable, and our set piece defending throughout is a massive worry. Skrtel is going to cost us sooner or later pulling like that in the box. And what happened to our midfield interplay?

Sakho is so clearly our best defender. He's the only one who

- Turns crosses into throw-ins instead of corners.
- Positions himself properly from incoming set pieces
- Sets his feet early enough to get a good jump
- Gets distance on his headers
- Uses his physique without fouling
- Makes 50-50s into 70-30s
- Doesn't lunge in unless he has a real chance of winning the ball

He's becoming a beast.

Still, got the result we needed going into the next 2 games so I won't complain too much.

Not sure how to feel about Johnson. He's not playing well enough to justify a new contract. Wish he was though :(

GorillaJu

We 'lost' the second half but it was clear that we were sitting back. We pressed relentlessly in groups in the first half and threw men forward on all sides. The style of play was completely different once Kelly came on for Flanagan. It's good for Flanno to get a bit of rest before City because I expect the team to be unchanged again, but even more critical is letting our midfielders and Suarez/Sterling get a breather. 3 games in a week with two of them really challenging affairs is never going to be easy.

Mastadon

Banned
Liverpool pessimists still out in force I see. I guess it's hard to change habits after the past few years, but still quite a joyless bunch in here. And I'm not about to say Liverpool are winning the league either.

A routine victory really, I'm surprised once again that Rodgers chose not to bring Aspas on or rest Suarez. Liverpool continued to dominate possession and chances in the second half yet from posts in here one would think they were under the cosh? The team understandably turned it down a gear with the game won, so what's with the whining? Even the goal can mostly be put down to the substitution leaving the players unprepared rather than direct failings.

Amen.

I don't really think there's a need to rest Suarez. He's incredibly fit and obviously thrives on playing as much football as he can. Would like to see Aspas a bit more once City and Chelsea are out the way.

Really looking forward to going to the Etihad. We'll probably end up getting battered, but the way Suarez is playing, who knows.

Cardiff fans were excellent today, wonder what Tan will do in the next day or so.

(Well, whatever he wants no doubt but still)

With any luck, sells the club to a new owner.

He had the opportunity to be the most popular owner we've ever had. But he seems to do everything in his power to piss off the fans.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

mr__anderson_welcome_back_by_rumper1-d5gyrto.gif

Walshy

Is Liverpool in for anybody in January, do they need to reinforce? Or will the return of Gerrard and Sturridge be enough?
We are in for Salah, the winger from Basel

We are also looking for another defensive midfielder. M'Villa, Rakitic (did I spell that right?), Matic and Fernando Reges have been linked.

dc89

Being top at Christmas means nothing.

New Years is where it's at.

Sounds like Fergie when we won the table.

"Being top at Christmas is what matters."
"Being top at New Year is more important."
"If you're top at March, then you have a chance."
"The team top at April usually go on to win the title."

Not exat quotes. But something similar.

GorillaJu

Is Liverpool in for anybody in January, do they need to reinforce? Or will the return of Gerrard and Sturridge be enough?

Mohamed Salah is on the cards apparently, and Will Hughes has been rumored (boner city), but Rodgers has been quick to put those rumors to rest. We're supposedly after an experienced box-to-box midfielder. Names like Matic have been bandied about but the price tag probably puts that out of the question.

I expect Salah to be in January, and I think a CM is a possibility.

Amen.

I don't really think there's a need to rest Suarez. He's incredibly fit and obviously thrives on playing as much football as he can. Would like to see Aspas a bit more once City and Chelsea are out the way.

Really looking forward to going to the Etihad. We'll probably end up getting battered, but the way Suarez is playing, who knows.

Agreed

welp, never going in those kind of threads again..

Lol welcome back my man

Hindle

Banned
First half was Liverpool really living up to expectation and becoming a side capable of challenging. Second half we saw the Liverpool of old, silly mistakes and questionable decisions etc.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
It was no coincidence that our vice like control of possession disappeared when we moved Johnson to the left hand side. While he can do a job on the left, he improves the functionality team when on the right.

Great win though.

Man City & Chelsea games will be the real test, we need a couple of results.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Sounds like Fergie when we won the table.

"Being top at Christmas is what matters."
"Being top at New Year is more important."
"If you're top at March, then you have a chance."
"The team top at April usually go on to win the title."

Not exat quotes. But something similar.

In my case there is logic, since at New Years it will be 19 games played and all teams will have played each other.

Plus we haven't played Liverpool yet so if we beat Arsenal I'll consider us joint top.

Top Bottom