• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Clegg

Break the bank
He'll be worth as much, or even more if Atletico decide to sell in the summer. He'd be a fool to leave Spain in the middle of World Cup year especially when he's trying to cement a world cup place for them. Atletico look to be on the verge of doing something special imo. I don't think he'd leave that.

Money is a very destabilising factor tho.

:lol milch <3

I agree, but sometimes it does look like clubs have to idea of what they just signed. For example Gladbach signing LdJ. They needed a Reus replacement, and instead they signed a dutch Hanke.

Sometimes I wonder if they just youtube the players. Surely Uli asks for video tapes
I think Favre wanted to try a different style with de Jong, he is more of the Gomez than Hanke type. Probably because they couldn't afford/find a new Reus. But that didn't really work. Then he went back to his old style: Raffael/Reus - Kruse/Hanke when they were on the market. He of course got a huge upgrade with Kruse, although Raffael is worse than Reus.

Salvadora

From my recollection, Atletico are in a precarious financial position.

I highly doubt Arsenal would be the club to dangle a sum of money that they couldn't turn down, however. Many wealthier clubs are in need of a striker.

faridmon

I thought we went over in the summer how a Spanish release clause doesn't mean the same outside Spain as it does in?

Please; don't confuse incompetency with how legal documents actually works. Some of those dealings that ''were supposed to happen'' were laughably half-hearted.

Salvadora

Please; don't confuse incompetency on how legal documents works. Some of those dealings that ''were supposed to happen'' were laughably half-hearted.
I know what you're referring to (and :lol at those deals), but I this is something different iirc.

A journalist (Sid Lowe?) wrote that inside Spain they are cast-iron figure, but to foreign clubs those release clauses are seen by some clubs in La Liga as an invitation to negotiate rather than a definitive price. Could be wrong, but I remember quite a long spiel about that in the summer.

I know what you're referring to (and :lol at those deals), but I this is something different iirc.

A journalist (Sid Lowe?) wrote that inside Spain they are cast-iron figure, but to foreign clubs those release clauses are seen by some clubs as an invitation to negotiate rather than a definitive price. Could be wrong, but I remember quite a long spiel about that in the summer.
It's the same thing.

It's about the tax. If a team want Costa and Atletico want to resist it it's probably gonna be closer to £40m than £32m.

Gothos

Anyone else fucking hyped for Thursday's ManCity - Liverpool? It has all the signs of an epic match. In my opinion it will be the real test for the The Reds - if they can get a decent result and most all, play good football, I will finally consider them the title contenders this year. Can't wait :)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Anyone else fucking hyped for Thursday's ManCity - Liverpool? It has all the signs of an epic match. In my opinion it will be the real test for the The Reds - if they can get a decent result and most all, play good football, I will finally consider them the title contenders this year. Can't wait :)

It's on Spanish language tv so I'm hyped.

Firemind

bwahaha so the board appoints someone who will have his first job as head coach.

what a clueless bunch of twats.

I feel bad for Vertonghen.

Clegg

If they were playing any other team then I'd say Liverpool were favourites to win. But City are in a league of their own when they're playing at the Etihad. I imagine they'll set out to play like they did against Arsenal and Spurs; strangle the midfield and go from there.

Clichy is their weak link imo. Liverpool need to get Sterling, or whoever's on the right, as many one on ones with Clichy as they can.

Elchele

I thought we went over in the summer how a Spanish release clause doesn't mean the same outside Spain as it does in?

Only Bayern can pull it off.

The Javi saga was amazing, the release clause, taxes, waiting for Javi at the Munich airport for like a week. :loool best season from the start to the end.

Salazar

Clichy is their weak link imo. Liverpool need to get Sterling, or whoever's on the right, as many one on ones with Clichy as they can.

Sterling will do what he always does and climb all over the fullback.

Most grabby player in the league. Surprised he doesn't cop more elbows.

jesalr

bwahaha so the board appoints someone who will have his first job as head coach.

what a clueless bunch of twats.

I feel bad for Vertonghen.

Bill Nicholson, Keith Burkinshaw and Pep Guardiola say hi.

Anyway, I sat for way to long watching this:

BOc9PFC.gif

while listening to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKPd9GUadxc

faridmon

Had my worst League of Legend match. Some people were being assholes and th Fucking AI destroyed us because people wern't collaborating.

Never had I game where I wanted to fucking rage quit. I died like 17 times, because for some reason, my Support character didn't have good defence.

There is a lot of nice people paying Lol but sometimes you just come across some douchbags who just want to destroy your soul within.

operon

boxing day will be tough to get through, but if we can get something it would be worth it for all the salt coming from lightning.

Lightning

Banned
boxing day will be tough to get through, but if we can get something it would be worth it for all the salt coming from lightning.
You won't get salt from me as I don't care what the table says in December, in April I will care and if you're ahead of us then I will be pissed but not now. Games have a different feel to them in the last 3 months of a season where pressure starts to really kick in, especially when things are tight.

Besides our games between now and February 8th when we play Liverpool are all winnable against teams who will not finish in the top 6.

Yen

Just watched Seven Psychopaths. Brilliant film. Very funny, quite Kilgore Troutish. Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken knock it out of the park, to borrow a basketball idoim.

Barry Glendenning &#8207;@bglendenning
Spurs replace somebody on course to better their greatest ever PL points tally with somebody not qualified to manage a PL side?
Think I have to agree with the sentiment.

The Steam community chose Chivalry over Brothers

Labadal

Started watching Deadwood. Only watched the first episode, it was a bit slow but it felt like it is slowly going to build up to something bigger.

K1LLER7

"It happens in football. He (Januzaj) is a great player and played very well at the weekend. He's learning the game and if he carries on playing the way he is, he is going to be a top-drawer player."

Yes Collin's. Take pleasure in getting merked by the future GOAT

"Valencia's combination with Rafael on Saturday was fantastic. Rafael has put in a good couple of games too. He is starting to show me what everybody told me he was capable of."
Everybody has to tell him something. Moyes pls.

K1LLER7

To be fair, it's often Valencia's speed that gets our counter-attacks going.

But it's agonising watching him blow them.

Final ball is way too inconsistent. Would be a beast of a player if he used his left foot more. Shame it seems he has no confidence in using his left.

K1LLER7

The Recent Rise of Adnan Januzaj

"Adnan Januzaj started preseason training with Manchester United&#8217;s reserves. He spent the first two days in July with the players alongside whom he starred last season, when he was voted United&#8217;s reserve player of the year after stepping up from the youth ranks.

New manager David Moyes had been told all about his talent, but he had a large number of established first-teamers to watch and work with ahead of a lengthy tour.

On the third day of training, one first-teamer dropped out of a training session. Former player and new United coach Phil Neville was there:

"We brought Adnan up to train with us," Neville recalled. "We could see merit in him having a bit of experience with the first team after he&#8217;d done so well last season."

What happened next stunned the watching eyes.

"Within five minutes of doing a little 7-vs.-3 possession, you could see the vision of him playing for Man United&#8217;s first team," said Neville.

"At the end of the session, all of the coaches got together. We were unanimous in our thoughts on what he&#8217;d done. He played like a Man United player. He&#8217;d wanted the ball, he was brave, he went into a tackle and smashed someone.

"Some kids are in awe when they are promoted to the first team, they pussyfoot about. Adnan looked like a Man United player. He was like 'Come on, I want more of this, I should have been in here yesterday, not today.'

"Straight away, the manager came up to me and said &#8216;He will be a Man United first-team player."

Three weeks later, Januzaj was wandering around a hotel in Yokohama, Japan, wearing one of Rio Ferdinand&#8217;s "5" caps and wondering why his phone didn&#8217;t work properly. He was on a floor reserved for the United party.

If he left for a public area, he was offered security. He had already played in front of 80,000 rather than the few hundred who watch United&#8217;s reserves. It was a big jump as Januzaj became accustomed to the life of a Manchester United first-team player on a preseason tour.

There have been several negatives to Moyes&#8217; spell in charge of the club so far. The league form, especially at home, where United have been beaten three times, has caused the most concern.

However, there have been positives too, such as the form and performances in the Champions League, plus the emergence of Januzaj.

When Moyes took over, the importance of promoting youth and the history of the young players, from the MUJAC (Manchester United Junior Athletic Club) graduates to the Busby Babes and the class of &#8217;92, was made clear to him. Sir Alex Ferguson discussed it when the pair spoke about Moyes being his successor.

The new manager nodded in agreement. He believes in youth and wants to build a dynasty at Old Trafford, yet one statistic made him raise his eyebrows: United have used a homegrown player in every starting XI for more than 3,600 consecutive matches, stretching back 77 years to before the Second World War.

To be precise, a homegrown player has now started in 3,668 consecutive United first-team games. That&#8217;s every game since October 1937.

Four of the starting XI in Saturday&#8217;s impressive 3-1 home win against West Ham United had risen through the club's academy: Tom Cleverley, Jonny Evans, Danny Welbeck and Januzaj. The interplay between the latter pair was frequently excellent and led to United's second goal, scored by Januzaj.

Three more academy graduates were on the bench: Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher and Sam Johnstone. Other players who featured, such as David de Gea, Rafael Da Silva, Chris Smalling, Alexander Buttner, Phil Jones and Wayne Rooney, arrived at Old Trafford with an average age of 18.

Januzaj, the 18-year-old Kosovo-born Belgian who was recommended to the club by Patrice Evra, attracted attention from elsewhere last season. Barcelona, who jealousy guard their own emerging youngsters from British teams who are able to offer them a contract a year earlier, enquired about him in May, the same month he was on the bench for Ferguson&#8217;s final game in charge, at West Bromwich Albion.

Two days before Ferguson announced his retirement, Januzaj played in the first Barclays U21 Premier League final against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford, starring in a side which came from 2-0 down to win 3-2.

He is slight, but he won headers against a much bigger opponent, Spurs captain Grant Hall, in his role as a lone striker. It&#8217;s his technique and his eye for a forward pass that set him apart, and the Catalan interest made United look at improving terms for a player they signed from Anderlecht in 2011.

Januzaj's shifting status from reserve to first-team star strengthened his negotiating position in a manner that Paul Pogba could never achieve a year earlier. United didn&#8217;t want Pogba to leave Old Trafford, and wince when he shines for Juventus and is linked to Real Madrid, but they had their reasons.

Fans have heard it all before with young players. Pogba, Ravel Morrison and Zeki Fryers were all rated as outstanding and all left. Giuseppe Rossi remains the best reserve player seen in the last decade -- a player who stood out in a team that also boasted Gerard Pique -- but he too left for more chance of first-team action.

Januzaj may have been expected to go on loan for a season. That was the trend towards the end of Ferguson&#8217;s reign, when he encouraged players like Cleverley, Welbeck and Evans to go for experience, minutes, toughening up and a reality check on football away from United.

None of them regretted it. Midfielder Nick Powell, who underwhelmed United's coaches last season, is thriving at Wigan Athletic in the Championship and may be recalled in January. Jesse Lingard, another midfielder on loan, scored four goals on his Birmingham debut and is the club's leading scorer.

Januzaj&#8217;s confidence is high from a new contract and featuring in 15 competitive United games so far this season. He has scored three times, twice at Sunderland and again on Saturday -- his first Old Trafford -- after which he ran straight to the United bench to celebrate with those who'd put their faith in him.

Aside from the goal threat he carries, Januzaj's style has presented a challenge to opponents: seven players -- Morgan Schneiderlin, Victor Wanyama, Wilson Palacios, Stephen Ireland, Steven Caulker, Yohan Cabaye and Matthew Lowton -- have received yellow cards for fouls committed on him and Fulham's Sascha Riether was banned for three games after kicking the 18-year-old.

It could all have been so different had he not been called up to train with United's first team early in July."

Evra is better than our scouts lol

choodi

Banned
Started watching Deadwood. Only watched the first episode, it was a bit slow but it felt like it is slowly going to build up to something bigger.

Definitely builds into something bigger. In fact, one of the biggest and best things ever on TV.

Top Bottom