• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 1m

Brendan Rodgers says match officials were "horrendous". Expresses surprise that "a referee from Greater Manchester" (Bolton) was in charge

Dear oh dear Brenton. Are they all out to get you? Have you been reading too much RAWK/Arnie's Twitter feed?

Salvadora

Referee had a mare in the Liverpool/City game? Unsurprising.

The standard of refereeing is awful. I'm still seething about Anthony Taylor on the opening day of the season against Aston Villa.

GQman2121

Banned
Just like the league, I have no idea who we'll sign in January. Players are definitely coming in. I can only assume we'll be linked with every overpriced striker imaginable.

Clegg

Liverpool were a bit unfortunate with some of the refereeing decisions, but they still had some relatively easy chances to score. They're the best team to have played at the Etihad this season tho. Mingolet had a howler tho. Can't legislate for that.

On the United front; we played poorly but still won. The performance wasn't great, but we're scoring goals again and winning when we're not playing well. We weren't doing that earlier in the season.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Referee had a mare in the Liverpool/City game? Unsurprising.

The standard of refereeing is awful. I'm still seething about Anthony Taylor on the opening day of the season against Aston Villa.

This twat was in charge for us today and missed a stonewall second yellow card for Steven Reid. He really is awful, some of these newer refs are Atkinson-standard.

L1NETT

All these shitty decisions do balance themselves out over time. May be frustrating at the time granted, but there will be calls in the future that Liverpool get in their favour.

Only complete braindead folks think clubs are top of the league or even win leagues on "luck". Absurd.

---

OT, but Sightseerers is on More4 at 9 (i think it;s More4).

WATCH IT. Brill film.

All these shitty decisions do balance themselves out over time. May be frustrating at the time granted, but there will be calls in the future that Liverpool get in their favour.

Only complete braindead folks think clubs are top of the league or even win leagues on "luck". Absurd.

---

OT, but Sightseerers is on More4 at 9 (i think it;s More4).

WATCH IT. Brill film.

The Abramovic and Mansour takeovers were pretty lucky, no?

:p

I don't subscribe at all to the notion of bad decisions balancing themselves out

doicare

If you think in the space of one season all the dumb luck of bad refs perfectly balances itself out then you're delusional.

L1NETT

I don't subscribe to the balancing argument either.

Seems like an easy way to excuse away bad decisions.

Not at all. Poor referring is part and parcel of the english game (sadly). For every time there is a bad decision against us it is annoying yes, but then again I can think of times we have got the rub of the green.

Both of you are saying that certain clubs (guessing yours) are unfairly targeted and get a huge overwhelming number of poor decisions against them

Pretty sure some fan of every club would say that. So guess what, some other team benefits from that.

People like to remember decisions which go against them. Never the other way around.

If you think in the space of one season all the dumb luck of bad refs perfectly balances itself out then you're delusional.

Not saying that, but refs don;t win or lose games. People like to focus on poor decisions and not on the ones they get. Per example, Arsenal fans moaning about the Chelsea ref. When they forget Rosicky should have been sent off for two poor challenges. It goes both ways, that's my point.

Teams don't win and lose the majority of football games based on refs. And teams aren't top of the league because of luck.

People like to scapegoat refs, and it isn't as straightforward as; we are 4th because of Lee Mason or City are top because of Howard Webb. That's madness.

3Sixty

JRod 3rd highest English scorer (Behind Rooney and Sturridge) decent return for someone playing in a lesser team and not as out and out striker.

Shame he didn't take his chance vs Chile but then again England were shite in general. Hope Woy gives him another look vs Norway.

Clegg

Not been a bad day for United with these results.

Of course we'll still need a win against Spurs on New Years day if we want to keep our top 4 chase alive. Won't be easy, but I think we can do it.

Salvadora

I don't think that Arsenal are unfairly targeted or get a huge number of bad decisions against us.

In fact, we probably fair better than most (Arteta pen). But looking at decisions that have gone our way doesn't sate me in the slightest, I just find bad refereeing entirely egregious.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Of course we'll still need a win against Spurs on New Years day if we want to keep our top 4 chase alive. Won't be easy, but I think we can do it.

Sir Alex sold himself to do evil. You're not winning anything again

Lol mucho trago

Showaddy

I'm genuinely fearful about playing anyone decent under Sherwood. I've never seen anyone just sit and watch their midfield get outnumbered and dominated and refuse to use their 3rd sub to bring on a holding mid.

Provided there are no major fuck ups, the next few weeks could be rather nice for us. Could be signings and we might actually get back into the top four all being well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm genuinely fearful about playing anyone decent under Sherwood. I've never seen anyone just sit and watch their midfield get outnumbered and dominated and refuse to use their 3rd sub to bring on a holding mid.

Our midfield wasn't dominated, we had 70% of the ball. Holtby and Chiriches just played a stupid first half, leaving gaps and giving the ball away. Second half West Brom never even came close to testing Lloris, Capoue would have made no difference.

We should have won this game 1-0, our defending on the free kick was embarrassing to watch. Ade and Chiriches should have cleared it easily.

Showaddy

Our midfield wasn't dominated, we had 70% of the ball. Holtby and Chiriches just played a stupid first half, leaving gaps and giving the ball away. Second half West Brom never even came close to testing Lloris, Capoue would have made no difference.

We should have won this game 1-0, our defending on the free kick was embarrassing to watch. Ade and Chiriches should have cleared it easily.

They were getting scrambled all game even if they dominated possession. We had like 20 shots on goal with only 3 on target, WB had 7 with 4 on target.

It like the exact same shit we had with AVB just approached from the other side.

Clegg

Wilbur won't like hearing this but Rooney is absolutely vital to us right now. We need to give him a new contract and keep him happy. I don't like saying it because these a disrespectual arse who has made a mockery of the club, but needs must.

Wilbur won't like hearing this but Rooney is absolutely vital to us right now. We need to give him a new contract and keep him happy. I don't like saying it because these a disrespectual arse who has made a mockery of the club, but needs must.

Looking at out squad's stats, no one other than Rooney has more than 2 assists in our entire squad (in the PL).

Salvadora

Has anyone here seen the Desolation of Smaug? I caught it today and wasn't particularly impressed.

Smaug was magnificant and easily the best part of the movie, but something just felt off. It was very videogamey and as a massive fan of the book, most of the added stuff just felt unnecessary.

Showaddy

Has anyone here seen the Desolation of Smaug? I caught it today and wasn't particularly impressed.

Smaug was magnificant and easily the best part of the movie, but something just felt off. It was very videogamey and as a massive fan of the book, most of the added stuff just felt unnecessary.

Saw it today as well. I tell you what, after sitting through like 15 minutes of that elf-dwarf-elf love triangle I wanted to strangle Jackson after that ending.

Smaug, Spiders & the Barrell escape was cool though.

Clegg

Looking at out squad's stats, no one other than Rooney has more than 2 assists in our entire squad.
This is why we need better players to take the load off Rooney. A decent midfielder and we could keep Rooney upfield, playing his natural game. Right now we're asking him to do too much. His delivery from free kicks has improved tremendously.

And we nedd RVP to get back to fitness. Moyes needs to give him his own tailored training regime to cut down the injuries.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Dude it was fucking terrible. Benedict Cumshot was good as Smaug, tho. The movie climaxed before the gathering of the clouds chapter

This is why we need better players to take the load off Rooney. A decent midfielder and we could keep Rooney upfield, playing his natural game. Right now we're asking him to do too much. His delivery from free kicks has improved tremendously.

And we nedd RVP to get back to fitness. Moyes needs to give him his own tailored training regime to cut down the injuries.

Moyes even admitted today that Rooney was doing 2-3 jobs on the pitch. That's implicitly saying that most of your other players aren't carrying their own weight - fairly damning I thought.

Hixx

How is this not a penalty btw

iRxNnlo25L4aQ.gif

Top Bottom