• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

GorillaJu

Just because we don't hear about him doesn't mean he isn't developing. Its good for your career to be on the world stage, but I think the only real bad move he's made in going to PSG is that his wages will be so high that he'll put off a lot of potential suitors when he moves to a bigger league.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Is that Raiola's son?
Don't know why he was allowed to procreate
Nick Coppack ‏@nickcoppack 6m
So, bizarrely, Valencia's actually better off now. He could have been banned for Norwich and been on 5 yellows. Now he's banned and is on 4

Nick Coppack ‏@nickcoppack 2m
Cut-off for ban for 5 yellows is 31 Dec. Next cut-off is 10 yellows (automatic two-game ban) is second Sunday in April (13th)..

Oh Wes, don't underestimate Moyes.

His entire squad's yellow cards strategy is mapped out on a succession of whiteboards too.

Elchele

Slomka is better than either of those, wouldn't be shocked if Dutt is replaced by Slomka. He'd be a good choice for Schalke as well, but I guess there's still bad blood involved and they might have an oral agreement with Schaaf.

Schaaf still going to Schalke? Why hasn't Keller been sacked yet? I read Hannover will try to sign Schaaf to replace Slomka...

Slomka <3 :-(

ATF487

What do you guys feel when you hear footballers whinging about having to train on Christmas Day?

It's like that "attractiveness as a curse" thread from a few days ago.

Yeah it sucks to miss out on some family time but for fuck's sake I'd easily make that trade a million times over

It's like that "attractiveness as a curse" thread from a few days ago.

Yeah it sucks to miss out on some family time but for fuck's sake I'd easily make that trade a million times over
You'd always make the trade but I still feel sorry for them.

One of those things money can't buy.

Don't think the problem was a big club.

PSG aren't a big club.

Wrong club.

I mean big club as in the lure of the wages and going straight into a CL club overriding his desire to move to the club best for his development. PSG can fuck off all day every day, as can Monaco.

@Shanks, some young players will thrive no matter where they go. Others need to value gametime over money and instant celebrity. Others still need to go to clubs with particularly good youth and development coaching that they can make use of when they're not quite established in the first team

Seems like Moura particularly (and his agent) just saw the Euro signs in his eyes and jumped to the team that offered the highest wages and signing-on fee. It felt like it at the time, and it feels like it now.

Elchele

I think the rumor that Schaaf is going to Schalke has been so strong, if Keller doesn't turn this ship around he's going to get replaced.

Yes, but what are they waiting for? The best moment to bring Schaaf is in the winter break to give him some time with the squad.

Keller is a mediocre coach, there's nothing else to add.

I mean big club as in the lure of the wages and going straight into a CL club overriding his desire to move to the club best for his development. PSG can fuck off all day every day, as can Monaco.

I often wonder about Romario, Rivaldo and Ronaldo. In todays game they would have all most likely gone to Barca/RM/Oil giant and I wonder if they would have developed into the stars that they became.

Ronaldo would of because he is is in my top 2 of all time, just the complete number 9, absolute destructive perfection when healthy

Clegg

Apparently that young Bulgarian CB passed a medical at United and was set to sign, but United pulled out after failing to agree terms with his club/agents.

sohois

@Shanks, some young players will thrive no matter where they go. Others need to value gametime over money and instant celebrity. Others still need to go to clubs with particularly good youth and development coaching that they can make use of when they're not quite established in the first team

Seems like Moura particularly (and his agent) just saw the Euro signs in his eyes and jumped to the team that offered the highest wages and signing-on fee. It felt like it at the time, and it feels like it now.

There are a handful of examples of young players making moves that are 'to big' but to be honest it seems like most examples still end up in some kind of success.

Inevitably those players who really go to waste are those moving to the oil clubs, not simply those moving to big clubs. PSG and their ilk simply kill off any young careers stone dead (until Liverpool buy them).

TeddyBoy

That was something special, Kickstarter is amazing :')

I didn't watch the Liverpool game yesterday, I was sad at the scoreline, but compared to some of the other scorelines at the Etihad 2-1 isn't the end of the world.

Mackay getting sacked is terrible for the game, I feel sorry for Cardiff fans, he wasn't doing too badly and they could easily get a terrible manager in and could end up like Wolves or Blackburn. However they could also become the Southampton with Pochettino.

Salvadora

ughk01S.gif

Gervinho: gone, but not forgotten.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think there has to be a way to criticise and have refereeing performances looked at, but I dont know how you could do it without every losing team abusing the feature, unless you made false claims punitive.

I think there has to be a way to criticise and have refereeing performances looked at, but I dont know how you could do it without every losing team abusing the feature, unless you made false claims punitive.

The solution is to improve the officiating.

There will always be mistakes and/or complaints - what you want is as few of those situations as possible.

http://abload.de/img/gomezgssqs.gif[/IMG
Guys please, you can still learn from the master himself.[/QUOTE]

That's not such a shocking miss with that bounce, you know.

Wes

venison crêpe
David Ornstein &#8207;@bbcsport_david
Cardiff boss will have unrestricted funds Jan signings. Dalman travelling to hold talks with one & only target. Full story across BBC #ccfc

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The solution is to improve the officiating.

There will always be mistakes and/or complaints - what you want is as few of those situations as possible.

I agree, officiating been going down over the past few years, its got to the point now where analysts are openly praising linesmen for getting tough calls right, which if you think about it isnt a great marker for consistency.

Mr Cola

David Ornstein &#8207;@bbcsport_david
Cardiff boss will have unrestricted funds Jan signings. Dalman travelling to hold talks with one & only target. Full story across BBC #ccfc

Is unrestricted the new unlimited?

You can have all the money you want its still a pain in the dick to sign anyone in january

Both Sterling and Hendo were great last night.

Hendo in particular really surprised me

Henderson was a bit quiet for me, as was Allen. Obviously we were never gonna dominate that centre midfield, but we could have done with a better, quicker bridge providing more regular service to the front 3. Almost all of the attacking threat came from build up play between those 3, rather than threatening passes from the midfield.

Those 3 are sexy as fuck though when they're moving like that. Shame Coutinho's shooting is brass and Sterling loses his head when the ball is played with a bit more pace and bounce than he'd like :(

Draconian

This is my first time venturing in here. I'm a Chelsea fan living in the US and yesterday's match was one of the first Chelsea matches I've seen this season. My impressions are that the striker situation must be absolutely dire. Eto'o just looked completely lost at times, not to mention botching two easy scoring chances. Midfield looked pretty good and we got another clean sheet, but it's pretty troubling that we didn't put Swansea away much, much earlier. We're going to have to play much, much better to get 3 points against Liverpool, and we can't miss golden chances to score goals.

I think it's pretty clear we need to get another striker during the transfer window though. I am curious to hear Chelsea-GAF's thoughts about the season so far and who you guys think we can sign next month. I found out I actually get the TV channel that the league games come on, so I plan on not missing any more this season. Anyway, hopefully you guys don't mind another Chelsea fan in here! :p

Mastadon

Banned
This is my first time venturing in here. I'm a Chelsea fan living in the US and yesterday's match was one of the first Chelsea matches I've seen this season. My impressions are that the striker situation must be absolutely dire. Eto'o just looked completely lost at times, not to mention botching two easy scoring chances. Midfield looked pretty good and we got another clean sheet, but it's pretty troubling that we didn't put Swansea away much, much earlier. We're going to have to play much, much better to get 3 points against Liverpool, and we can't miss golden chances to score goals.

I think it's pretty clear we need to get another striker during the transfer window though. I am curious to hear Chelsea-GAF's thoughts about the season so far and who you guys think we can sign next month. I found out I actually get the TV channel that the league games come on, so I plan on not missing any more this season. Anyway, hopefully you guys don't mind another Chelsea fan in here! :p

Welcome to the thread! Think you're absolutely spot on with the striker situation. Wouldn't at all surprise me to see Mourinho attempt to lure Falcao from Monaco in Jan.

Welcome to the thread, and join the fucking club :(

Yes, but what are they waiting for? The best moment to bring Schaaf is in the winter break to give him some time with the squad.

Keller is a mediocre coach, there's nothing else to add.

Schaaf probably doesn't want to start working before the new season. Although he is considering working there, he's not a complete idiot. There's nothing to win for him this season. He needs to turn a shit side into a good one in like 3 weeks and finish at least fourth. They'd probably fire him if he wouldn't have given them CL football next summer looool

Draconian

Welcome Draco, I hope Chelsea get destroyed on Sunday.

Welcome to best GAF, Draconian.

May Mou implode and bring your club to ruin.

Hahaha, I can tell this is an awesome group already.

Welcome to the thread! Think you're absolutely spot on with the striker situation. Wouldn't at all surprise me to see Mourinho attempt to lure Falcao from Monaco in Jan.

That'd be fantastic. I don't know how likely it is that we'd get him, but Mou seems to have a knack for being very persuasive when he wants to be.

Top Bottom