• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

FootballFan

This is my first time venturing in here. I'm a Chelsea fan living in the US and yesterday's match was one of the first Chelsea matches I've seen this season. My impressions are that the striker situation must be absolutely dire. Eto'o just looked completely lost at times, not to mention botching two easy scoring chances. Midfield looked pretty good and we got another clean sheet, but it's pretty troubling that we didn't put Swansea away much, much earlier. We're going to have to play much, much better to get 3 points against Liverpool, and we can't miss golden chances to score goals.

I think it's pretty clear we need to get another striker during the transfer window though. I am curious to hear Chelsea-GAF's thoughts about the season so far and who you guys think we can sign next month. I found out I actually get the TV channel that the league games come on, so I plan on not missing any more this season. Anyway, hopefully you guys don't mind another Chelsea fan in here! :p

welcome Draco,

I hope tha..

Welcome to best GAF, Draconian.

May Mou implode and bring your club to ruin.

I see Clegg already covered the basics.

Hahaha, I can tell this is an awesome group already.

That'd be fantastic. I don't know how likely it is that we'd get him, but Mou seems to have a knack for being very persuasive when he wants to be.

Yes.....

Mourinho.....

awef0lV.jpg

Salvadora

Casillas to City makes a huge amount more sense than to Arsenal.

Joe Hart has been a highly publicised disaster this season, whereas Szczesny has the manager's faith. Arsenal will most definitely buy a keeper next year though.

FootballFan

Goes in the centre of the goal. Shit shot.

Suen, pulga, Wooden, splatt, disgrace.

It tells us that Madrid alone is not an interesting enough club to support.

for excitement you need to follow another team with it, like 3/4 of the Madrid fans here who support a turkish/portuguese/italian/mexican team along with Madrid.

the proof is in the pudding.

i figured it out

madridistas pls

wedward

Joe Hart has been a highly publicised disaster this season, whereas Szczesny has the manager's faith. Arsenal will most definitely buy a keeper next year though.

I disagree. I think Wenger is sticking with Szczesny for the long haul. Unless you mean a number 2, in which case I agree.

Splatt

inevitable innit

Like Ashley Young cutting in and then passing it backwards.

Batistuta is one of the GOAT, I don't blame you.

tumblr_lde7o0BuWJ1qbmunxo1_500.gif

It tells us that Madrid alone is not an interesting enough club to support.

for excitement you need to follow another team with it, like 3/4 of the Madrid fans here who support a turkish/portuguese/italian/mexican team along with Madrid.

the proof is in the pudding.

i figured it out

madridistas pls

Karlo killed football, I had to do it!

iHGdOUPIkGmio.gif

I miss Mou and his trolling, he's just a lifeless husk now. Moyes ate his soul.

FootballFan

Karlo killed football, I had to do it!

iHGdOUPIkGmio.gif

I miss Mou and his trolling, he's just a lifeless husk now. Moyes ate his soul.

Pep finishing him off then leaving Barca for a new adventure to become a GOAT coach ruined Mourinho imo.

Pep was probably the biggest motivation Mourinho had in Spain.

Beating an ill coach who you poked in the eye and insulted, who also wasn't even there half the time probably meant Mourinho wasn't half as motivated as usual. And in a 2 team league at that :p

edit
Not to mention his own team was causing enough problems, the whole Casillas bs and constant talk about Ronaldo winning awards lol.

Lightning

Banned

I don't think we will be in for anyone in January. I expect a very quiet window for us.

Expect continued improvement in the summer though.

Pep finishing him off then leaving Barca for a new adventure to become a GOAT coach ruined Mourinho imo.

Beating an ill coach who you poked in the eye and insulted, who also wasn't even there half the time probably meant Mourinho wasn't half as motivated as usual. And in a 2 team league at that :p

edit
Not to mention his own team was causing enough problems, the whole Casillas bs and constant talk about Ronaldo winning awards lol.
Pep finishing him off before leaving? You mean letting Mou win the league? Good one.

Splatt

edit

I think that noone got under Mou's skin like Pep did... maybe Cassillas :D

Shame Pep got bored of being second fiddle to Messi and decided to skip town :p

Elchele

wasn't it the other way around? Madrid was unbeaten vs Barca in Pep's last season IIRC.

Guardiola was complete shit in his last season. That's why he left
But I agree Mou was in La Liga mostly because of Guardiola, without him he got bored.

Hixx

Predictions for the last footballing weekend of 2013 then?

West Ham 1 v 1 West Brom
Aston Villa 1 v 2 Swansea
Hull 2 v 1 Fulham
Man City 3 v 0 Crystal Palace
Norwich 1 Vs 2 Man Utd
Cardiff 1 Vs 1 Sunderland
Everton 2 Vs 1 Southampton
Newcastle 1 Vs 2 Arsenal
Chelsea 2 Vs 2 Liverpool
Tottenham 3 Vs 1 Stoke

FootballFan

wasn't it the other way around? Madrid was unbeaten vs Barca in Pep's last season IIRC.

Don't know about unbeaten but Mou did win the league. Pep was doing his crazy formations/lineups and was leaving that season either way, didn't make it public until right after the CL semi's when we were eliminated though.

But I agree Mou was in La Liga mostly because of Guardiola, without him he got bored.

He was leaving before that season started, he ignored any contract talks and didn't extend it. He was leaving whether we won the treble or got relegated.

While there was no challenge in beating a crippled Barca team, that at this point was getting ready to get demolished by Frits and Hans, the reason he wanted to leave was love and to get away from the fragmented babies in Madrid.

Pep had to run away from the mess he had gotten himself into with the big bully Mourinho, realized there was nothing to gain anymore. He ran away like a wounded animal, afraid and with no idea what to do. In the meantime Bayern won everything with ease and to Peps luck their manager was leaving after the season. Pep now with the perfect opportunity to get a job in a not just two team league like La Liga, but a 1 team league like the krauts league, didn't have to think much about his next job destination.

More honorable a man like Mourinho decided to take on the mess that many incompetent managers had left behind, in a league more competitive than any. That there is more motivation in that should be a given, then there is really no reason to keep bothering an already broken man like Pep who just wanted exile long away from everyone, he is basically doing the same job as the Mexican guy outside of Home Depot.

Lightning

Banned
Weren't there reported issues between Guardiola and Rosell which resulted in Guardiola deciding to leave.

FootballFan

While there was no challenge in beating a crippled Barca team, that at this point was getting ready to get demolished by Frits and Hans, the reason he wanted to leave was love and to get away from the fragmented babies in Madrid.

Pep had to run away from the mess he had gotten himself into with the big bully Mourinho, realized there was nothing to gain anymore. He ran away like a wounded animal, afraid and with no idea what to do. In the meantime Bayern won everything with ease and to Peps luck their manager was leaving after the season. Pep now with the perfect opportunity to get a job in a not just two team league like La Liga, but a 1 team league like the krauts league, didn't have to think much about his next job destination.

More honorable a man like Mourinho decided to take on the mess that many incompetent managers had left behind, in a league more competitive than any. That there is more motivation in that should be a given, then there is really no reason to keep bothering an already broken man like Pep who just wanted exile long away from everyone, he is basically doing the same job as the Mexican guy outside of Home Depot.

I disagree.

Sorry, but we are not that German twat club which you control with your Russian oil money

#FuckSchlacke

If Russian oil money doesn't work then we'll just have to use the old classic: Russian winter. Your boys will be so frozen out there in St. Pete's that even old man Tymo will pass one sided triangles around you.

Salvadora

I disagree. I think Wenger is sticking with Szczesny for the long haul. Unless you mean a number 2, in which case I agree.
I mean a new number 2 & 3.

Regardless of what everyone thinks about Szczesny, Wenger isn't going to be moved. The people who come in have to be happy with sitting on the bench, or not at all. That rules out Casillas + most candidates that everyone would suggest in this thread.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

My new favourite poster.

100% agree with everything.

Walshy

I reckon any result would have been fair tbh

Not to take away from the dreadfulness of the decision, but we scored pretty soon after the offside call, and the Suarez tug was obviously cancelled out by Skrtel's antics. Only other contentious officiating was Lucas being punished for a textbook tackle on Silca, giving them a free kick that kept us pushed back until Kompany scored, but we had multiple oppurtunities to clear it between that foul and the goal.

Probably the first case this season of our poor finishing outside of Suarez costing us badly. If he is on the end of that Coutinho or Sterling chance, rather than creating them, we come away with a point at least I think :(

He wasn't completely terrible when he came on, but I do wish we'd stop persisting with Moses. Giving him any gametime is pointless in the short, medium and long term.
I agree on the Suarez chance, but thats the difference between title winners and teams that just make the top four. We are a young team and will only get better. Sterling and Coutinho are only 19 and 21.

On Moses, I just can't see what he contributes to the team. I can understand why Rodgers wants to play him, bring him on when teams are tiring and Moses can bully them with his directness, pace and physicality. When he does come on though, he has this attitude that he's too good to be a squad player, and has a lack of urgency when he eventually presses the opposition and goes looking for the ball. When he does get it though, he contributes nothing. He had six touches in 22 minutes yesterday, he just doesn't have the drive to succeed. Rodgers has persisted with less talented players and got a lot more out of them than Moses.

If Salah comes in, he's gonna be gone in January. In hindsight, I would of rather we had kept Assaidi, a player despite not getting many chances always had a good attitude. We should develop Ibe over him, he suits are possession based play a lot better that Moses does.

wedward

This is actually Roman, isn't it.

If Russian oil money doesn't work then we'll just have to use the old classic: Russian winter. Your boys will be so frozen out there in St. Pete's that even old man Tymo will pass one sided triangles around you.

We had a good test with the Ukrainian winter last season, you'll need something different :D

I agree on the Suarez chance, but thats the difference between title winners and teams that just make the top four. We are a young team and will only get better. Sterling and Coutinho are only 19 and 21.

On Moses, I just can't see what he contributes to the team. I can understand why Rodgers wants to play him, bring him on when teams are tiring and Moses can bully them with his directness, pace and physicality. When he does come on though, he has this attitude that he's too good to be a squad player, and has a lack of urgency when he eventually presses the opposition and goes looking for the ball. When he does get it though, he contributes nothing. He had six touches in 22 minutes yesterday, he just doesn't have the drive to succeed. Rodgers has persisted with less talented players and got a lot more out of them than Moses.

If Salah comes in, he's gonna be gone in January. In hindsight, I would of rather we had kept Assaidi, a player despite not getting many chances always had a good attitude. We should develop Ibe over him, he suits are possession based play a lot better that Moses does.

I always forget how young Coutinho is. Glad we didn't send Sterling out on loan, really come to the fore in the last 3 games. Not got a clue what we'll do when Sturridge and Gerrard are back

Looking forward to Salah if it happens, never actually seen him play a full match :D

We had a good test with the Ukrainian winter last season, you'll need something different :D

in Donetsk? lol. Donetsk is probably farther south than Dortmund. This is something altogether different. There's a reason Zenit has never lost at home in February despite being shit. Just ask those Livercunts, they thought they were ready too.

Yen

According to RAWK, two of Ilori, Smith, Dunn, and Rossiter will be on the bench for Chelsea.

I fancy buying a few VC games off the e-shop. Do I need to create an account or anything? I've never bought anything from it, usually too dear but fancy SMB3 (and maybe The Lost Levels, and an GBC LoZ)

L1NETT

Vincent Tan just shows there has to be some level of vetting when it comes to perspective owners of football clubs.

How this utter plank got where he is at Cardiff i'll never know

---

How good are The Ones. Flawless is a top tune.

Walshy

I always forget how young Coutinho is. Glad we didn't send Sterling out on loan, really come to the fore in the last 3 games. Not got a clue what we'll do when Sturridge and Gerrard are back

Looking forward to Salah if it happens, never actually seen him play a full match :D
We'll rotate or we will drop Gerrard and Sturridge. No need to change it if we are playing well and we all know how much Rodgers' loves an unchanged team.

Salah seems decent from the little which I've seen and will certainly replace Moses within the squad (who is only here to make up numbers). Liverpool have been crying out for a left sided attacker for a while now, don't think there is many in the squad.

The end game of both of this January window and Summer window is getting quality players in, not 'squad' players or 'cover' players, something which I consistently hear Liverpool fan spout on either message boards, in real life or on social networks. It's not about getting 'cover' for Lucas/Sterling/Suarez/Whoever. It's about getting players who provide consistent quality throughout the squad, that's the only way will ever move up a level and we will get found out in Champions League with our limited squad if we qualify next year. We need to cut the weak links, we are on the verge of being a very good side if we do.

According to RAWK, two of Ilori, Smith, Dunn, and Rossiter will be on the bench for Chelsea.
I would like us to see us bedding in Ilori, surprised we've seen so little of him.

Rossiter is too young to be near the first team, to be honest.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Chances created:

Liverpool
  • Suarez 42 in 13 games!
    Gerard 41
    Henedrson 34
    Coutinho 25 in 11(2)
    Sterling 20 in 7(6)

Chelsea
  • Hazard 46
    Mata 30 in 10(2)
    Super Frank 23
    Ramires 21
    Torres 12

City
  • Silva 39 in 10!
    Nasri 45
    Aguero 25
    Navas 23
    Ferna 20
    Negredo 18

Arsenal
  • Ozil 45
    Ramsey 26
    Cazorla 23
    Giroud 22
    Bendtner 3

United
  • Rooney 38
    Evra 21
    Valencia 16
    Carrick 12
    Nani 11 in 5(3)
    Adnan 10

Everyone else in their squad is in single digits.

• Ashley Young 7
    Kagawa 4 in 5(1)
    Fellaini 1

Juve
  • Tevez 37
    Vidal 34
    Pogba 25
    Pirlo 27 in 11 games basically
    Llorente 20

Madrid
  • Isco 40
    Di Maria 29
    Benzema 26
    Ronaldo 22
    Modric 24

Totti 34 in 8(2), Pjanic 39, Gervinho 23 and Strootman 24, Cassano 48, Diamanti 43 and Kaka 28.

Iniesta 18, Xavi 23 and Borja Velero 43.

wedward

Chances created:

Liverpool
Suarez 42 in 13 games!
Gerard 41
Henedrson 34
Coutinho 25 in 11(2)
Sterling 20 in 7(6)

Chelsea
Hazard 46
Mata 30 in 10(2)
Super Frank 23
Ramires 21
Torres 12

City
Silva 39 in 10!
Nasri 45
Aguero 25
Navas 23
Ferna 20
Negredo 18

Arsenal
Ozil 45
Ramsey 26
Cazorla 23
Giroud 22
Bendtner 3

United
Rooney 38
Evra 21
Valencia 16
Carrick 12
Nani 11 in 5(3)
Adnan 10
Everyone else in their squad is in single digits.
Ashley Young 7
Kagawa 4 in 5(1)
Fellaini 1

Juve
Tevez 37
Vidal 34
Pogba 25
Pirlo 27 in 11 games basically
Llorente 20

Totti 34 in 8(2), Pjanic 39, Gervinho 23 and Strootman 24.

Iniesta 18 and Xavi 23.

Ozil tied for second. Invisible.

in Donetsk? lol. Donetsk is probably farther south than Dortmund. This is something altogether different. There's a reason Zenit has never lost at home in February despite being shit. Just ask those Livercunts, they thought they were ready too.

I know it's different, that's why I wrote "test". And we don't need to win, a draw and we'll fuck you in the Westfalenstadion.

Top Bottom