• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Fry

seems like the gus bus...
... has run out of fuel.

CbEW5JF.jpg

you're such a good cunt.

Hixx ;((((((((((((

Walshy

United-GAF.

How vital is it you make top four? Considering the likes of Rooney and RVP would want to play in the CL every season, do you think they would leave or stay? I can't see Rooney lingering around after the transfer request last year, it seems like that issue hasn't really been resolved yet. When we missed the Champions League we suffered a similar exodus, with the main strays of our side leaving all within 12 months of each other: Torres and Mascherano didn't stay around much after we missed out on the Champions League.

Also there seems to be a big rebuilding job at United in some key positions, especially at CB, CM and in the wide positions. Not making CL would seriously harm your prospects of getting the best targets, which is probably why you need to reinvest heavily in January, you are more likely to get your targets if you are still in the knockout rounds and are only a few points off fourth.

Also what would it mean of the debt that the glazers have put on your club? When we missed the Champions League the whole Hicks and Gillet thing just collapsed, resulting in us being a few hours from administration. It would be sad to see United go down the same route, despite my dislike for them although I think I read the other month that the debt has been significantly reduced.

Either way Moyes and Woodward have some huge decisions regarding your future in the coming months.

GorillaJu

I really want Sunderland to stay up by they are absolutely dismal. The players they have aren't bad players - is there just a lack of belief? Something in the water? Are they just missing a clever central midfielder? They shouldn't be as terrible as they are at simple things

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I really want Sunderland to stay up by they are absolutely dismal. The players they have aren't bad players - is there just a lack of belief? Something in the water? Are they just missing a clever central midfielder? They shouldn't be as terrible as they are at simple things
You know when you get kicked in the balls and it takes you a while to recover?

Di Canio = kick in the balls

GorillaJu

There's no way United don't make top 4 lol. Silly thought. It's a squad that won the league last year.

Thing is, it's not entirely up to them. There are 5, arguably 6 clubs playing better than them who will be fighting tooth and nail for those same spots.

United have got a good run of results going but if I'm being completely honest, they're the weakest team, below even Everton in the running for the top 4.

Walshy

There's no way United don't make top 4 lol. Silly thought. It's a squad that won the league last year.
How is it silly? Their performances this season have hardly been inspiring.

They've hardly been in the top four all season, its a three horse race for the top four between Everton, Liverpool and United. I'd say there is little difference between the three teams.

GorillaJu

Arsenal have been a better team for about 4 seasons now. It's about a winning mentality.

Respectfully disagree. There is a mental issue at Arsenal that plays into their inability to sustain a title challenge, but United have always, until this year, had a better team than them.

Clegg

So we played like shit, still won, have Welbeck scoring semi-regularly and are only 5 points off the top.

Holy fuck, we're going to win the league.

Salvadora

Arsenal have (previously) always had "match winning" players, but not better teams.

This is the first season in a long time that Arsenal have had one of the best squads.

Not getting in the top 4 will obv harm our chances of player recruitment.

Rooney is leaving no matter what happens.

The debt is comfortably sustainable now. Being in the CL makes it easier for us and gives us more "disposable" income - but were not reliant on it.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
How is it silly? Their performances this season have hardly been inspiring.

They've hardly been in the top four all season, its a three horse race for the top four between Everton, Liverpool and United. I'd say there is little difference between the three teams.
At this time last season West Brom were in the top 4 and Arsenal were 7th. December generally means nothing. Everton will definitely fall out and we'll see what Liverpool are made of in the title run in - whether they're City 10/11 or 11/12.

Barzul

Hoping for a big scoreline vs. Newcastle. My team for tomorrow: Szczesny, Gibbs, Mertesacker, Koscienly, Sagna, Flamini, Wilshere, Walcott, Giroud, Carzola.

Salvadora

At this time last season West Brom were in the top 4 and Arsenal were 7th. December generally means nothing. Everton will definitely fall out and we'll see what Liverpool are made of in the title run in - whether they're City 10/11 or 11/12.
I think you're ignoring the elephant in the room though, Ferguson.

Arsenal fought tooth and nail to get into the top four from that position last season and it wasn't easy. Arsene is a phenomenal manager who can do that, can Moyes? No one knows.

GorillaJu

You get the feeling Sunderland don't even want the ball. Nobody looks like they want to make something happen. I'm sure they do, there's just a real obvious lack of confidence, or arrogance in possession. On the other hand, Cardiff don't look like they're even thinking when they have the ball they're just rocking down and toward goal, like Paul Lambert's Norwich. No real creativity, just goals through perseverance.

GorillaJu

Wow, that was fucking great by Ki. What a fucking chance. Jozy... I knew something was gonna happen when I saw Borini movementing the fuck out of that far post.

Walshy

Not getting in the top 4 will obv harm our chances of player recruitment.

Rooney is leaving no matter what happens.

The debt is comfortably sustainable now. Being in the CL makes it easier for us and gives us more "disposable" income - but were not reliant on it.
I didn't know Rooney leaving was certain. You surely aren't going to sell him to Chelsea?

I thought I read about the debt being reduced and more sustainable. Is Malcolm Glazer still alive? Can't remember last time I seen him in public, it always seems to be the sons.

Fair enough, but West Brom and Everton are completely different teams. Everton have been consistently finishing in the top seven for a number of seasons now. They'll invest in January as well.

With Liverpool though it's a strange one, much is riding on the game against Chelsea. If we manage to win we would of got 6 points from the Eithad, Stamford Bridge and WHL. We are fortunate in the fact we've played all of the top teams away already except for United.

Clegg

Didn't see the game, but heard we were shit. United only had six shots against Norwich too. Lack of creativity is a definite problem. Can only hope Moyes finds a good cm in the window.

I didn't know Rooney leaving was certain. You surely aren't going to sell him to Chelsea?

I thought I read about the debt being reduced and more sustainable. Is Malcolm Glazer still alive? Can't remember last time I seen him in public, it always seems to be the sons.

Fair enough, but West Brom and Everton are completely different teams. Everton have been consistently finishing in the top seven for a number of seasons now. They'll invest in January as well.

With Liverpool though it's a strange one, much is riding on the game against Chelsea. If we manage to win we would of got 6 points from the Eithad, Stamford Bridge and WHL. We are fortunate in the fact we've played all of the top teams away already except for United.
It's certain in my mind. I don't see him renewing. Can't see us selling to Chelsea. Not sure what will happen with him but I don't see him staying. Of course he changes his mind on a whim so maybe he will end up renewing.

Personally want him gone.

Glazer hasn't been seen in public for about 6 years I think. Fuck knows if he's alive. Not sure he even owns any of the stake anymore, think it's all split up between the sons but i need to check that.

Not been up to speed on the debt situation for a while now but I think the interest is about £30m a year and we will probably turn profit close to £100m over the next 12 months.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Stoke can kick lumps out of Spurs. No chance of them winning.

ahahaha

1-1 draw is nailed on sadly. Crouch will score on a 2nd minute corner and we'll scrape an 85th minute equaliser. We haven't beaten Stoke at home for years.

I'd almost rather Man Utd and City had battered Norwich and Palace. Annoying knowing that they both could easily have dropped points

Man Utd getting back into that groove of winning without playing well, worrying.

lol at those Swansea stats. 73% possession, only 2 more shots than Villa, same number of shots on target. Wooden woz rite.

Clegg

Moyes on Rooney: Ideally we'd have given him two or three weeks to recover completely. But he has been so influential for the team.
So we're rushing him back when he's not fully fit. How could this go wrong?

Hixx

I reckon we can win this (we could be 2-1 up right now if not for a great save and that useless sod up front). For 30 mins we were embarrassing but last 15 only been one team in it. Our lack of confidence in front of goal is fucking obvious it's unreal.

Dossena, Diakite, Larsson have been appalling. Altidore shite.

I have defended Jozy all season but I am running out of patience with him now.

Carbonox

Hoping for a big scoreline vs. Newcastle. My team for tomorrow: Szczesny, Gibbs, Mertesacker, Koscienly, Sagna, Flamini, Wilshere, Walcott, Giroud, Carzola.

We've only let in 7 goals in our last 9 games, including matches against Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Southampton, etc. and 3 of those goals came in one game (how we lost 3-0 to Swansea I will never know).

However, while our defence has been god tier for a while now, I think the Newcastle v Arsenal game could very well be a high-scoring game. Arsenal are more capable than the above teams of slicing teams apart easily. We are Newcastle after all. As the Swansea game shown, we can easily shit the bed and give up.

We have Tiote back too which will offer us some added steel.

Best game of the weekend, book it. Chelsea v Liverpool will be a dull draw.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So we're rushing him back when he's not fully fit. How could this go wrong?
To be fair though, it's hard to tell whether he's fit or not.

Because he puts in 100% every time. His workrate is mental. Imagine what he could have been without the kebabs.

Top Bottom