• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Hixx

I think it says it all that a lad who is ill enough to have to be taken to A&E (he looked ill when the camera panned into him on a corner, I thought he was just knackered) put the most effort and ability into the first half.

The rest of them should be fucking ashamed.

Really hope he is okay, think he only played due to AJ being ill as well :/

L1NETT

Not surprised to see both Villa and Sunderland struggling, considering they both brought it legions of unproven unknown shithouses.

Quality over Quanitity, even if it can be hard to find.

Noone is tidy tbf. Like him a lot.

kharma45

I guess maybe an Arsenal fan gives me a different perspective.

Cesc wanted out for a long, long time but I enjoyed him immensely during his time at the club. Just think your opinion is as mental as Sleepless Nights saying that he didn't enjoy watching Suarez

He wanted to rejoin his boyhood club. Rooney is just a mercenary.

I guess maybe an Arsenal fan gives me a different perspective.

Cesc wanted out for a long, long time but I enjoyed him immensely during his time at the club. Just think your opinion is as mental as Sleepless Nights saying that he didn't enjoy watching Suarez
Fabregas is completely different.

That's like the way Ronaldo left us.

It's not even close to being a similar comparison.

Like I said, would you take RVP back? He's much better than anything you've got. Rooney tried to leave us for Man City. Lied about it. Stayed on a kings ransom. Got out of shape. Had no shame about it, openly said he didn't bother following the training schedules set for him when he's being paid £250k. Tried to leave again.

I really don't see what's hard to understand about this. It's about pride. Why would we warmly welcome back someone who has basically taken a shit on our club? And why would I enjoy that?

He's good at footers, I'll give him that. I used to love watching him play. Now he's just a good player leaving a bitter taste. All round a hassle.

Lightning

Banned
The defending from Sunderland was so bad on the second goal. Sunday league stuff.

I swear I've never heard of some of these defenders before..
Sunderland are a weird team. Against Everton they defended well. They were against 10 men but Everton had them under the hammer and they stood through it with some decent saves from Mannone, even could have scored more themselves.

There are other games where they are just absolute shit and concede stupid goals. The Spurs game as well they conceded dumb goals, I want them to stay up but out of all the contenders them and Fulham look the most likely to go.

L1NETT

He wanted to rejoin his boyhood club. Rooney is just a mercenary.

Oh come on. Of all the players you could call a mercenary, Wayne Rooney is not top of the list. He isn't a shining example of a footballer, but he clearly gives a shit about Man United. If he didn't he would do a Modric or Tevez and mope about.

Get of his back, without him you would be midtable.

---

What does he have to do to make it up? Or in your minds is that it, a black mark forever. Seems a very weird stance to take, he won';t be the last to try and get a move away from United.

I wouldn't take RVP back. Burned all bridges as far as I'm concerned.

I don't get this weird uber moral position.

If RVP came back and scored a fuck ton of goals, won you the league you would fucking love him.

Look at Suarez. Rodgers said he would have to apologise to ever play for the club again. Now look.

I'm all for players coming back and proving themselves, getting a second chance and all that if they are committed and want to play for my club. That's all I can ask for as a fan.

Carbonox

Not surprised to see both Villa and Sunderland struggling, considering they both brought it legions of unproven unknown shithouses.

Quality over Quanitity, even if it can be hard to find.

Noone is tidy tbf. Like him a lot.

How Premier League fucking clubs (PREMIER LEAGUE) in this day and age still go out on shopping sprees for like 10 players and then look baffled when they do utter wank in the league, DEFIES BELIEF.

I understand it in lower leagues perhaps but in the top tier, give me a break. Clubs deserve the criticism they receive.

kharma45

Oh come on. Of all the players you could call a mercenary, Wayne Rooney is not top of the list. He isn't a shining example of a footballer, but he clearly gives a shit about Man United. If he didn't he would do a Modric or Tevez and mope about.

But he did do that, see Viva's post. If Rooney gave a shit about United why would he want to go to City and claim that we couldn't compete and that we didn't have good enough players? We brought in RVP and he took the fucking hump as he wasn't the main man any more.

He may have won us most of our points this year but it doesn't detract from the fact that he's a shit person.

---

What does he have to do to make it up? Or in your minds is that it, a black mark forever. Seems a very weird stance to take, he won';t be the last to try and get a move away from United.
Of course it's a black mark forever.

And ffs, it's not about him wanting to leave. Ronaldo wanted to leave too - he's still a favourite. Beckham the same.

L1NETT

Exactly we've had players who've wanted to leave before. It's all about how you go about doing that.

Hmmm I guess I can see your point but to me Rooney right now is committed and wants to play for Man United. That's all you can ask of him.

---

Cornelius lives!

Splatt

Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic being watched by Dortmund, according to his manager Jestrovic.

aleksandar-mitrovic-foto-partizanrs-1375612260-348163.jpg

Salvadora

How is RVP is reasonable comparison? Yes he made public statements, but he actually left the club whereas Rooney is still at United, 2+ years later.

I'm just saying, it's odd to not enjoy watch Rooney playing. Liverpool fans haven't done that with Suarez. All this stuff about "pride" etc pales compared to what he does for you on the pitch. You shouldn't forget what he did, I'm not saying that. But you have to separate the two.

Hmmm I guess I can see your point but to me Rooney right now is committed and wants to play for Man United. That's all you can ask of him.

---

Cornelius lives!
I'll give him that.

He has stuck around and done well for us, been professional-ish, gives his all on the pitch.

I respect that.

Mesousa

Banned
Shit, hopes he's okay

I like watching you play 20/20, not got the attention span to watch any other form of cricket unless England are involved :D

Which country are you from? I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say Trinidad

Ya, but American through and through now lol.

20/20 is my favorite too.

Also Fletcher does what AltiDONT.

Walshy

Look at Suarez. Rodgers said he would have to apologise to ever play for the club again. Now look.
But he didn't leave the club like RVP. He apolgised for his actions to his team mates and the fans. Then he signed a new contract.

RVP burned all bridges by joining a rival. This is a player who supported Arsenal as a kid and then tried and did to leave the club on the cheap (he had one year left on his contract).

I don't think many Liverpool fans would take Torres back either.

How is RVP is reasonable comparison? Yes he made public statements, but he actually left the club whereas Rooney is still at United, 2+ years later.

I'm just saying, it's odd to not enjoy watch Rooney playing. Liverpool fans haven't done that with Suarez. All this stuff about "pride" etc pales compared to what he does for you on the pitch. You shouldn't forget what he did, I'm not saying that. But you have to separate the two.
Because things aren't as simple as "oh well you stayed so it's alright".

You can't separate it.

Cba to go any further. Maybe I just see it differently. I can't enjoy having a player who wants to leave and used the media to manipulate his agenda.

Fair enough if you think he deserves better than that. Won't change my mind though.

L1NETT

I agree there are different ways of going about trying to leave a club, but for me I always give players a second chance. If they are professional and committed, as a fan that's what I want and fuck what he did 2 years ago.

--

Walshy, if someone had made a serious bid Suarez would have been off don't you worry. He deffo wanted to leave (same as RVP). What was he meant to do once the Transfer Window had closed? Not play in a World Cup year? Come on

Suarez didn't turn down someone amazing move through some undying love to Liverpool. Him and RVP aren't as different as you make out.

But he didn't leave the club like RVP. He apolgised for his actions to his team mates and the fans. Then he signed a new contract.

RVP burned all bridges by joining a rival. This is a player who supported Arsenal as a kid and then tried and did to leave the club on the cheap (he had one year left on his contract).

I don't think many Liverpool fans would take Torres back either.

Yep. Leaving is the point of no return, as we've seen with Gerrard and Suarez

Rooney obviously wanted to leave for reasons other than footballing ones (if he ever actually wanted to leave and wasn't just trying to wrangle a mega-contract out of the club)

I think its just a difference in mentality caused by the constant stream of trophies at Old Trafford. Liverpool fans will forgive and forget whatever as long as it helps the team get into a position to win stuff.

Man Utd fans on the other hand are so used to winning things, they take it for granted and value decency and pride above the security blanket that such quality players provide

We'll see if they carry the same tune if they sell Rooney and struggle to replace him sufficiently in the same window.

kharma45

I agree there are different ways of going about trying to leave a club, but for me I always give players a second chance. If they are professional and committed, as a fan that's what I want and fuck what he did 2 years ago.

But we did, then he asked to leave again.

--

Walshy, if someone had made a serious bid Suarez would have been off don't you worry. He deffo wanted to leave (same as RVP). What was he meant to do once the Transfer Window had closed? Not play in a World Cup year? Come on

Suarez didn't turn down someone amazing move through some undying love to Liverpool. Him and RVP aren't as different as you make out.
As far as I'm concerned he got his 2nd chance and he ruined that too.

Will admit him wanting to leave second time around was way more messy and Fergie was definitely fucking with him.

But I don't trust Rooney so really, not sure I can give him benefit of the doubt.

Salvadora

Lets leave it then, Viva.

Just want to add: I'm not saying "oh well you stayed so it's alright". All I'm saying is that there is a disconnect with what happened then (outside the pitch) and now when he's fighting tooth and nail on the pitch. At the moment, as a player, he's a joy to watch.

Fry

damn i'm finding myself really cheering for Sunderland here

edit: FUCK YEAhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom