• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

You were gifted 3 points by the referee. End of, really. Willian and Hazard were excellent in the first half taking the ball out through the midfield, but we should have had at least one penalty and Eto'o should have been off at the start.

Yeah because your absolute inability to create anything meant our victory is undeserved

GorillaJu

Yeah I don't understand why Brad Smith came on. I'm sure Rodgers has his reasons, but Alberto and Ibe were better obvious choices to me.

L1NETT

Shouldn't something be done about the standard of officiating as a whole instead of people saying "well, everyone has to put up with the same shit standard, so it's fine"?

Agree 100%. Refs need to better.

All I think the others are saying are there is more to Liverpool losing than the refs. It's a huge factor granted, but there is more to it than that.

You were gifted 3 points by the referee. End of, really. Willian and Hazard were excellent in the first half taking the ball out through the midfield, but we should have had at least one penalty and Eto'o should have been off at the start.

We were only gifted 3 points by your terrible defending.

Eto'o sending off? Lololol

Mastadon

Banned
We were only gifted 3 points by your terrible defending.

Eto'o sending off? Lololol

Really? You don't think that's a red? How about the penalty claim?

I think Chelsea were the better team regardless of the decisions, but to try and play it off like it didn't impact the outcome of the match is bullshit and completely disingenuous.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah I don't understand why Brad Smith came on. I'm sure Rodgers has his reasons, but Alberto and Ibe were better obvious choices to me.

I though for sure Liverpool were going to score on that awful kick from Cech at the end, but the boy's touch was horrid. Not the right game to put a kid like that on.

sohois

Undeserved? We were all over you after your scored. You mustered one header which hit the bar, you offered very little in attack. Couldn't handle Hazard and Willian who were like steam trains down the wings.

Anyone can play that game, and dismiss the chances and attacks the other team had as long as they not being scored. The fact is that Chelsea scored 2, Liverpool scored 1 but had 2 clear penalties not given. A different ref and its highly likely to be a loss for Chelsea.

So yes, it is an undeserved win because Chelsea had to rely on ref help for it. It's not like a game where a team fails to put away chances.

United won't get close to the league.

United have always been slow starters. Their performances haven't been great this season but certainly recently they have been picking up points without playing especially well. They're getting better, I think they will make a couple of signings in January which will help them push on.

Perhaps they won't win it but I don't think they will be too far behind

GorillaJu

Agree 100%. Refs need to better.

All I think the others are saying are there is more to Liverpool losing than the refs. It's a huge factor granted, but there is more to it than that.

Yes, that's true and you can't rely on referees to win you points, but this goes without saying really. No one wants or expects to have to gain victories just off of officiating and you'd be a sorry excuse for a fan if that's the best you could hope for from your team.

That doesn't make it any less appalling when decisions that should be made aren't, or in the case of that ridiculous offside call against City, decisions being made when they shouldn't be. It's frustrating for the fans and for the players as well.

Good win for us, Liverpool played bad and some of the officiating was bad but it went both ways.

Which Eto'o challenge are you guys talking about? The one on Suarez at the end? Luis wasn't going to get the ball from Dave anyway.

Really? You don't think that's a red? How about the penalty claim?

I think Chelsea were the better team regardless of the decisions, but to try and play it off like it didn't impact the outcome of the match is bullshit and completely disingenuous.

Unless I missed something, I thought there was very little in it.

Edit: Just seen it, footballs a contact sport, players come together all the time and sometimes its more the fault of one than the other. Wasn't that the foul that Liverpool scored from? Its a free kick suggesting its a red card is ridiculous and just trying to criticise every little thing

Referees let early tackles go all the time with a warning, its no different to any other match. If anything i'd say Oscar's probably should have been a red but I don't think Webb saw it.

I have no idea what Eto'o was doing, but Webb was looking straight at it and decided it was a coming together or something. As I said, hard to muster any sympathy considering what happened at Anfield last season.

sohois

City fans on here had no issue with accepting that they relied on ref help for the win, why are Chelsea fans being so pigheaded? Particularly when it was arguably more egregious in this match with the possible Eto'o red, the Terry penalty that would also have been a red, and the Eto'o penalty.

Last time I check you still have to score the penalty when given so shove that up urs :)

In any event what done is done only the next match is of concern to me now.

lololol

You would've missed the penalty. Can't hack the pace at the top.

There were 2 stonewall penalties guys. Terry elbowed Suarez in the head in the box, which, as I mentioned, would also be a red card.

Mastadon

Banned
Good win for us, Liverpool played bad and some of the officiating was bad but it went both ways.

Which Eto'o challenge are you guys talking about? The one on Suarez at the end? Luis wasn't going to get the ball from Dave anyway.

It doesn't matter, you can't take someone out like that off the ball. It was a stonewall pen.

GorillaJu

It doesn't matter if he's going to get the ball - fouls off the ball are still fouls, and if it's in the box it's a penalty.

Hixx

Liverpool being robbed of a late pen has made me quite happy I didn't end up putting that bet on friday. It was the only outcome I got wrong
LLShC.gif

"West Ham 1 v 1 West Brom
Aston Villa 1 v 2 Swansea
Hull 2 v 1 Fulham
Man City 3 v 0 Crystal Palace
Norwich 1 Vs 2 Man Utd
Cardiff 1 Vs 1 Sunderland
Everton 2 Vs 1 Southampton
Newcastle 1 Vs 2 Arsenal
Chelsea 2 Vs 2 Liverpool
Tottenham 3 Vs 1 Stoke"

thank you based Howard Webb

H13

Last time I check you still have to score the penalty when given so shove that up urs :)

In any event what done is done only the next match is of concern to me now.

Who and when are the next match?
Hmm..
Eto is hit and miss, i do hope we get a better striker next season.
Or maybe Lukaku, Torres and Ba??

Mastadon

Banned
Liverpool being robbed of a late pen has made me quite happy I didn't end up putting that bet on last night. It was the only outcome I got wrong
LLShC.gif

"West Ham 1 v 1 West Brom
Aston Villa 1 v 2 Swansea
Hull 2 v 1 Fulham
Man City 3 v 0 Crystal Palace
Norwich 1 Vs 2 Man Utd
Cardiff 1 Vs 1 Sunderland
Everton 2 Vs 1 Southampton
Newcastle 1 Vs 2 Arsenal
Chelsea 2 Vs 2 Liverpool
Tottenham 3 Vs 1 Stoke"

thank you based Howard Webb

Hixx, you used to be cool man.

subtles

I hope we get proper full backs and a class midfielder one day. It's nothing short of amazing how little our FBs contribute considering our style of play.

Marc

Liverpool have had two games of very bad decisions, but it's not a mass conspiracy. There's a reason Liverpool fans are famous for their grand self-delusion, and it extends beyond just excuses for why they haven't won the league again. A few bad decisions aren't proof of anything, because a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Only me saying it and I am not a Liverpool fan, or a fan of any club in fact. I fancied Chelsea to win the title at the start and still do even with all these bad performances.

I think people are generally quite naive about this, football and betting is a billion pound business. Add money into the pot of ANYTHING and you will get corruption, politics, military, medicines... all have shown time and time again people can be bought. And one of the lowest paid people in the league, referee's, are somehow immune to that? Do they have to take any tests to prove they are not corrupt? I do in my job, and I work in fecking IT without any possible lure of millions. Do they have to show where their money lies, any investments they have? Again, I do this in IT. Any audits that happen of their past behaviour, decisions, audio/video recordings? Again, I do this in IT.

They could be innocent and just simply incompetent, but I know in my job and nearly any job that if you appear to have incompetence with a certain subject or task then it needs to be looked at further. In football if anyone dares to question you, or calls for investigations then they get fined and possible banned. That is not how you run a clean system. And I have absolutely no faith in the FA to run a pub, let alone that kind of serious responsibility. Hell, you don't even have to buy them, one man in charge can affect who wins a game and who loses. Blackmail or personal threats alone have proven to influence every other walk of life. But it is a conspiracy to suggest it may happen in football? Maybe, but we would never know as they never bother to investigate anything or even attempt to clear up any dodgy goings on. Which is an environment ripe for corruption.

Btw, even if the officiating was perfect that does not mean Liverpool would have won or drew. Chelsea were at their best when losing so could certainly see a come back in any case. Liverpool were very poor up front and in defence. I would liked to have seen that game though, could have been a 4-3 type of game if reff'd correctly.

I hope we get proper full backs and a class midfielder one day. It's nothing short of amazing how little our FBs contribute considering our style of play.

I really don't like Lucas' role in this team. He doesn't control our play, and he doesn;t shield the back 4 either because he's played 10 yards too far forward

Reading here it's almost like we weren't the better team on the day. It's almost like we didn't have a perfectly good penalty shout turned down ourselves.

It doesn't matter, you can't take someone out like that off the ball. It was a stonewall pen.

It doesn't matter if he's going to get the ball - fouls off the ball are still fouls, and if it's in the box it's a penalty.
Fair enough.

Still, was an entertaining game to watch. Could have been even better if the officiating was up to par. Lucas straight up attacking Oscar should have had him sent off so I guess that cancels out what Eto'o did.

I wish Liverpool did equalize because holy shit do we play well when down a goal.

Top Bottom