• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Baki

Why do Chelsea have to play dirty? First the two tackles on Arteta and now Oscars tackle on Lucas, could have chopped his leg off.

Sorry Chelsea-GAF, but its really hard to like your team at the team. That is not bloody football.

Mourinho innit.

Carbonox

Blade_WTF.gif

Draconian

Recorded the match and was about 30 minutes late in starting it. That first 3 minutes made me feel like this was going to be a disaster. Anyway, I really liked how we dominated the midfield today. I wish Frank would've gotten a goal off of that strike in the 1st half, because it was brilliant. We still had too many dumb giveaways leading to scoring chances. I don't know what was up with Oscar. Horrible corners and then a stupid challenge at the end, which he could've been sent off for imo. Eto'o actually looked somewhat competent and that Torres scoring chance was some embarrassing defending by Liverpool. Mou looked like he was about to cry after the save though hahaha.

Anyway, I think you guys have more of a case on the incident with Terry in the penalty area than Eto'o. Of course, he'll get the benefit of the doubt because he was looking at the ball, but that's a foul anywhere else. No way was Webb going to call a penalty on Eto'o though. Off the ball, minimal contact, and Suarez went down way too easily.

I'm impressed with us today though. We came out and defended really well. Picked up some bookings, but you have to do that if you want 3 points against the Liverpool side though.

GorillaJu

Coutinho is overrated by whom? He had an incredibly good string of performances when he came into the team and has been our best outlet for creating chances despite not showing up often on the score sheet. It's easy to say he's "overrated" if you've only watched him in the big games this week where the entire team had trouble, but Liverpool fans who watch him in every game, he's been extremely good and in competition with Suarez for being the best player on the pitch.

No, he's not Modric, but he's being criticized for not getting Fantasy points the same way Modric was. The pass, before the pass that makes the goal is almost always from Coutinho.

Baki

coutinho's overrated. suarez didn't get much service.

Yeah, just need to throttle the midfield to keep Suarez quiet. Tbh, I think Suarez was getting agitated today because of that.

That makes it more annoying. Eto'o gave us a much needed gift, and Webb threw it in the bin before we had a chance to open it

I don't even know what Etoo is doing on the pitch. Torres is better.

Coutinho is overrated by whom? He had an incredibly good string of performances when he came into the team and has been our best outlet for creating chances despite not showing up often on the score sheet. It's easy to say he's "overrated" if you've only watched him in the big games this week where the entire team had trouble, but Liverpool fans who watch him in every game, he's been extremely good and in competition with Suarez for being the best player on the pitch.

No, he's not Modric, but he's being criticized for not getting Fantasy points the same way Modric was. The pass, before the pass that makes the goal is almost always from Coutinho.
Yeah, Coutinho is still a great player. I'm really upset Inter didn't hold on to him.

Two clubs we beat twice in 9 months

the bitterness is overwhelming

how does it feel m8s

m8s how does it feel

Feels great mate. Two clubs spending wisely, on an upward turn, heading for Europe.

One club getting relegated after buying a whole new squad in the summer.

Baki

Willian played well. Can't believe Mata is benched. Maybe Chelsea will do a swap for Cavani with PSG or Falcao with Monaco.

I wish he could be at Arsenal.

GorillaJu

Willian was key to Chelsea today, really surprised to see him play so well, I know he's a good player but his runs through the midfield were what made the difference for Chelsea in the first half. He was exceptional and did most of the work for Lampard and Luiz.

GorillaJu

He'd probably be more expensive, bizarrely

Also think he's an ideal second choice, wouldn't be happy with him as first choice either

IMO Enrique is good enough that buying someone like Cole would be a waste of money. Would rather get someone who can slowly take his place over time. I feel like Flanagan could do that but he's not naturally left sided and I think Bertrand offers more going forward (<3 for Flanno's goal vs Spurs though)

IMO Enrique is good enough that buying someone like Cole would be a waste of money. Would rather get someone who can slowly take his place over time. I feel like Flanagan could do that but he's not naturally left sided and I think Bertrand offers more going forward (<3 for Flanno's goal vs Spurs though)

I always think that about Enrique when he's not in the team.....

Mastadon

Banned
People saying Coutinho is overrated should really look at how we played when he was injured. Our attack was so stunted. Pretty much everything we do going forward is routed through him, and the majority of the time he's the perfect outlet to set up a chance.

Or, y u no do moer thru balz?

Mastadon

Banned
Hopefully these two losses will convince FSG to spend a bit of money in January. Brendan will be able to evidence the fact that we're able to stand toe-to-toe with the big boys, but our small squad makes a title challenge near impossible.

Baki

Hopefully these two losses will convince FSG to spend a bit of money in January. Brendan will be able to evidence the fact that we're able to stand toe-to-toe with the big boys, but our small squad makes a title challenge near impossible.

From top 4 to title challenge. A drastic change in ambitions. Top 4 would be good.

Mastadon

Banned
From top 4 to title challenge. A drastic change in ambitions. Top 4 would be good.

Oh absolutely, I think we've exceeded our expectations so far this year in terms of staying in touch with the league leaders. Top 4 is still in overarching objective, it just seems like we're in a good position to kick on and push for the top spot with a little extra impetus.

I don't think for one minute we'll win it, and never have to be honest, but we're very well placed to at least give it a go.

L1NETT

I'll never understand why there is an endless stream of people who think the best solution for their weird sexual/body issues is to post a thread on GAF off topic.

Carbonox

The hate for Europa League is unjustified IMO

Bring on EL, Everton are bloody ready!

1. No money to be made in it (finishing in the spots required are worth the cash injection though but not the competition itself)
2. Even more punishing on squads than the Champions League due to shit schedules
3. Travels to Middle Earth to play some trampy goblin squad during a meteor storm a regular occurrence

It's a terrible terrible competition. Only Champions League teams win it as well for the most part.

For it to be remotely attractive, it either needs a rehaul or completely done away with and replaced with something else (or fuck, open up more spots for the Champions League, I dunno).

Unless you have a massive squad, it's not worth an ounce of effort and you will feel the same next season unless you buy loads of new players to fill over any cracks that will appear due to the schedule.

Who the fuck wants to play some team called Sheriff FC or some crackden wartorn club called Anzhi?

Maybe I'm biased because of how it ravaged our season last season (despite doing well to get to the Quarter Finals but we only ever played good in the Europa League and was too nackered to play in the Premier League as a result). Of course, it was also our fault for not investing in the squad until it was too late. Maybe we'd fare better with our current squad and stronger bench but I am not optimistic.

There is nothing remotely beneficial or cool about the Europa League unless you get to some stage where you play a top club like Juventus. That might put a smile on your face but enjoy playing variations of some carpenter and postmen club to gethere.

Baki

Oh absolutely, I think we've exceeded our expectations so far this year in terms of staying in touch with the league leaders. Top 4 is still in overarching objective, it just seems like we're in a good position to kick on and push for the top spot with a little extra impetus.

I don't think for one minute we'll win it, and never have to be honest, but we're very well placed to at least give it a go.
Teams should always give it a go.

Top Bottom