• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

subtles

I thought it was mentioned by a journalist before that until a certain stage in the knockout round (EL) that expenditure is greater than the revenue accrued, let alone any profit.

Draconian

Nothing would give me greater joy than to smash the everliving fuck out of Chelsea at Anfield

Spawny cunts. Everything about that club pisses me off, except for Mata and that woman who made a twat out of Patrick Barclay

PBZ6BTe.gif

faridmon

I thought it was mentioned by a journalist before that until a certain stage in the knockout round (EL) that expenditure is greater than the revenue accrued, let alone any profit.

Well, they need to structure that competition differently, but as I said, the only difference between the CL and EL is the money spent/received. I would love us to play in Europe regardless of the competition, if it doesn't hinder us that much in the league. Just train your youngster to play well in some eastern block of a stadium. Sound fun actually!

faridmon

I don't hate Chelsea in essence, but lately, they have been a dirty team that just play for the shit giggles. Those two tackles on Arteta and now Oscar's tackle on Lucas.

They can fuck off with that.

Lightning

Banned
I don't hate Chelsea in essence, but lately, they have been a dirty team that just play for the shit giggles. Those two tackles on Arteta and now Oscar's tackle on Lucas.

They can fuck off with that.
That's Mou's way. We need to get that cunt out of the PL he's a poison.

Re: the Europa League, just removing the Champions League third-place finishers would, with a slight reshuffle, allow for one less knockout round and therefore make the competition a little less arduous.

faridmon

Re: the Europa League, just removing the Champions League third-place finishers would, with a slight reshuffle, allow for one less knockout round and therefore make the competition a little less arduous.

Yes, I agree with this. Having CL losers to enter a competition is simply unfair to the teams who fought for the simple qualifications to those stages.

but we are talking to the deaf ears of UEFA...

Carbonox

Well, they need to structure that competition differently, but as I said, the only difference between the CL and EL is the money spent/received. I would love us to play in Europe regardless of the competition, if it doesn't hinder us that much in the league. Just train your youngster to play well in some eastern block of a stadium. Sound fun actually!

papi pls

You're Everton. It will hinder you either in the league or in the tournament. Don't act like your squad is suddenly some capable and gargantuan team across the board cos your league form is superb. Unless Martinez set you a tenner to buy some Red Bull to give you dat boost in the cold winters of Mongolia and Stoke within 3 days.

Like I said, Newcastle did well last year in the competition because we put all our effort in to it and not in the league. Our squad wasn't big enough, that's our fault, we deserved the consequences. We would probably fare better now with our larger squad but you'd need something as ludicrously oversized as Chelsea's to successfully handle the league AND the tournament without breaking a sweat. Of course, something like this doesn't solely lay with the Europa League though. This applies to the Champions League as well. Teams can handle both but let's not act like Newcastle and Everton are on the same level as the bigger teams in the league.

Squad capabilities aside (it rests with how ambitious and smart the owners are where funding a large enough squad is concerned, unless you got legit confidence in your kids), Thursday nights on Channel 5 against literally shite teams where you make no money is a world away from Tuesday/Wednesday nights against champions and legitimately good teams (not including 'champions' of the likes of Romania and other dump leagues) where the money you make is in the millions. There isn't a similarity between the two tournaments where these aspects are concerned.

If you can handle it. All the power to you. I would love for Newcastle, Everton and other solid teams (moreso Everton going on this season) to be able to handle both the league and a European tournament (Swansea are giving it a damn good go but they're suffering in the league as well cos of it, whereas they'd be top 10 if they weren't in the tournament). If we could do it properly, give me all the Europa Leagues.

Your attitude in the reply to me suggests you're underestimating the demands and rewards of the tournament. It needs to be developed in to something a tad more worthy and prestigious - at least financially viable - for it to be a respected and wanted tournament. Some clubs would love to be in it, some think it's beneath them, some don't give a shit.

Edit: You and everyone else is right about the Champions League teams falling down to the EL. That's just bullshit. They don't deserve it but like you said, falling on deaf ears and all that.

faridmon

Why can't I look this cool?

tumblr_mdpxhpPmeJ1rth780o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mdq7wf2suE1rth780o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_meg0cnkwjX1rth780o1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_migia5LuRH1rth780o1_1280.jpg

wait, Where the fuck do they get the money from to buy clothings from the likes of All Saints, Tommy Hilgfeier, Paul Smith and Ted Baker amongst others that are apparent in those pics? They are just a bloody indie band with just one album released so far...

Some seriously cool photography in their website:

tumblr_mhvoz54UOR1rth780o9_500.jpg

jesalr

papi pls

You're Everton. It will hinder you either in the league or in the tournament. Don't act like your squad is suddenly some capable and gargantuan team across the board cos your league form is superb. Unless Martinez set you a tenner to buy some Red Bull to give you dat boost in the cold winters of Mongolia and Stoke within 3 days.

Like I said, Newcastle did well last year in the competition because we put all our effort in to it and not in the league. Our squad wasn't big enough, that's our fault, we deserved the consequences. We would probably fare better now with our larger squad but you'd need something as ludicrously oversized as Chelsea's to successfully handle the league AND the tournament without breaking a sweat. Of course, something like this doesn't solely lay with the Europa League though. This applies to the Champions League as well. Teams can handle both but let's not act like Newcastle and Everton are on the same level as the bigger teams in the league.

Squad capabilities aside (it rests with how ambitious and smart the owners are where funding a large enough squad is concerned, unless you got legit confidence in your kids), Thursday nights on Channel 5 against literally shite teams where you make no money is a world away from Tuesday/Wednesday nights against champions and legitimately good teams (not including 'champions' of the likes of Romania and other dump leagues) where the money you make is in the millions. There isn't a similarity between the two tournaments where these aspects are concerned.

If you can handle it. All the power to you. I would love for Newcastle, Everton and other solid teams (moreso Everton going on this season) to be able to handle both the league and a European tournament (Swansea are giving it a damn good go but they're suffering in the league as well cos of it, whereas they'd be top 10 if they weren't in the tournament). If we could do it properly, give me all the Europa Leagues.

Your attitude in the reply to me suggests you're underestimating the demands of the tournament.

Edit: You and everyone else is right about the Champions League teams falling down to the EL. That's just bullshit. They don't deserve it but like you said, falling on deaf ears and all that.

Exactly. Liverpool and Newcastle are doing quite a lot better without being held down by midweek games. Our (Spurs') last four seasons have seen us 4th in the season we weren't in any European competition, and 4th in the season Redknapp left it to youth (where would should have held on to 3rd). We finished 5th the two seasons we've used first team players in those competitions. This season we're struggling, maybe not just because of EL, but it's not helping.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
watching Rodgers interview on Sky he comes across like he doesnt think Pool are challengers, he seems very wary of over talking, which is sensible.

Carbonox

Exactly. Liverpool and Newcastle are doing quite a lot better without being held down by midweek games. Our (Spurs') last four seasons have seen us 4th in the season we weren't in any European competition, and 4th in the season Redknapp left it to youth (where would should have held on to 3rd). We finished 5th the two seasons we've used first team players in those competitions. This season we're struggling, maybe not just because of EL, but it's not helping.

Not having to deal with the Europa League this season has really helped us. I'm grateful for that. If we strengthen and increase the squad size in the Summer - and we qualify for the Europa League - then I would love for us to have another crack at the tournament. Otherwise I really would prefer not to be in it if the club can't be fucked to properly plan for it. It's terrible for the fans, the players and the demands are that much more because the squad gets nackered too easily, injuries become frequent and we struggle to get 11 players together. This happened last season. Proof is in the pudding. We were an example of how NOT to do both. Chelsea was an example of how to successfully handle it.

Pheonix please, where are you? I need you to tell me what I meant.

Also, what am I having for tea and where have I left my phone charger?

I was busying doing work, some of us don't have the luxury to sit in front of a forum all day waiting for a response. As for your question maybe you should watch more games. When he was injured, our midfield was just flat and had no creativity to it.

subtles

This thread has been particularly venomous lately and a lot of it is uncalled for. Banter is one thing but man, some of you really need to take it easy.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and United are currently the only clubs capable of handling CL football in the premier league. Liverpool's squad is too thin but have a decent starting team and the others are not good enough and would get stomped in the group stages.

Mocking the EL is only possible if you can handle the CL and only the clubs I mentioned are capable of that. In order to prepare for the CL you need to cope with the EL no problem because the step up is hard, especially for your starting 11.

Carbonox

Gonna be watching The Last Stand soon, anyone seen it?

I have it on Blu-Ray. It's enjoyable with some decent action scenes and a typically comical Arnie performance (intentional or not). No love for his sidekicks though. Please stop casting Johnny Knoxville in films, people, pls.

Even 60 year old Arnie kicking arse is enjoyable today.

I was busying doing work, some of us don't have the luxury to sit in front of a forum all day waiting for a response. As for your question maybe you should watch more games. When he was injured, our midfield was just flat and had no creativity to it.

Sorry but what question are you answering?

I asked you to tell me what I mean't by 'that good', seeing as clearly made an assumption without knowing what I even meant by my comment I'm not surprised you've just resorted to a generic 'watch more games pls' response.

I hope your work went well though mate, someday I hope to be working late on a Sunday.

I have it on Blu-Ray. It's enjoyable with some decent action scenes and a typically comical Arnie performance (intentional or not). No love for his sidekicks though. Please stop casting Johnny Knoxville in films, people, pls.

Even 60 year old Arnie kicking arse is enjoyable today.

Cool, always had a soft spot for Arnie kicking arse. Honestly think the original Total Recall is one of the best films ever, and obv T1 and 2 are GOATs.

Lightning

Banned
On a positive note if we don't have a successful January with the fixtures we have I will be most pissed.

Cardiff - Home
Villa - Away
Fulham - Home
Southampton - Away (Hard game)
Crystal Palace - Home

Minimum of 13 points from that. Any less and it's failure but really we need 15 points from that.

spent the day away but loving the salt cause Mou does what the fuck he wants against these shitty PL sides. this league is beneath him.

get bent, kopites.

Carbonox

Cool, always had a soft spot for Arnie kicking arse. Honestly think the original Total Recall is one of the best films ever, and obv T1 and 2 are GOATs.

You have good taste in films. Throw Predator and True Lies in there and you have 5 of the greatest action films ever put to film.

faridmon

Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and United are currently the only clubs capable of handling CL football in the premier league. Liverpool's squad is too thin but have a decent starting team and the others are not good enough and would get stomped in the group stages.

Mocking the EL is only possible if you can handle the CL and only the clubs I mentioned are capable of that. In order to prepare for the CL you need to cope with the EL no problem because the step up is hard, especially for your starting 11.

Exactly. Why all the complain about EL and nothing towards CL? Yes, I do agree clubs like ours and Newcastle can't handle EL because of squad depth, but can we handle CL? We do want to get to CL, but can we actually compete in it?

Simply if you can't handle EL, you will never be able to go anywhere in the CL, thus wasting a whole spot which another team could do well in it.

Portugeezer

Fucking game. Every match that has disconnected in this fucking game has gotten me a loss. Only one time a game ending has been because of my connection fucking up, every other time when it's not my fault I get a loss regardless...

Some cunt just rage quits in Ultimate Team after he was impatient and spammed X (A) in a goal kick, then he quits when I score, then I get a loss. Dafuq is this game.

1 game less, no coins received for it.

Yeah I am new to FIFA, is this shit the norm?

Newcastle fans deriding the EL is hilarious. It's not as if those commitments would prevent them from making a title run or even CL qualification. Their team is fully irrelevant, just filling out the numbers. Might as well enjoy some Thursday nights.

Portugeezer

For new page because... EA.

Fucking game. Every match that has disconnected in this fucking game has gotten me a loss. Only one time a game ending has been because of my connection fucking up, every other time when it's not my fault I get a loss regardless...

Some cunt just rage quits in Ultimate Team after he was impatient and spammed X (A) in a goal kick, then he quits when I score, then I get a loss. Dafuq is this game.

1 game less, no coins received for it.

Yeah I am new to FIFA, is this shit the norm?

Newcastle fans deriding the EL is hilarious. It's not as if those commitments would prevent them from making a title run or even CL qualification. Their team is fully irrelevant, just filling out the numbers. Might as well enjoy some Thursday nights.

i loved it last time they were there.

Exactly. Why all the complain about EL and nothing towards CL? Yes, I do agree clubs like ours and Newcastle can't handle EL because of squad depth, but can we handle CL? We do want to get to CL, but can we actually compete in it?

Simply if you can't handle EL, you will never be able to go anywhere in the CL, thus wasting a whole spot which another team could do well in it.

For clubs of our size it's the qualification for the CL that is the bigger deal than actually playing in the CL the following season!

faridmon

Because of Lewa. And it doesn't look like Guardiola and him get along that much.
I agree, FIFA 13 was better.

I really like Mario The Croatian (can't bother to look up on his second name's spelling) I really think Gardiola is doing a mistake. Lewa and him are completely different players and one going for the other to go away does not help matters.

and its not like Bayern are poor and want to reduce the wage bill.

I honestly don't like where Bayern is going in the next few years.

Carbonox

In Soviet Russia, irrelevant is you.

Because of Lewa. And it doesn't look like Guardiola and him get along that much.
I agree, FIFA 13 was better.

Shame, Mandzukic is a more than serviceable striker who gets goals for you but yeah, Lewandowski will take priority. Does Pep legitimately want Lewa tho?

Never actually seen Predator :lol

Need to see True Lies again, remember it being great fun though.

You haven't seen Predator? omg

RECTIFY THAT

For clubs of our size it's the qualification for the CL that is the bigger deal than actually playing in the CL the following season!

Hah yeah, make dat money, take a whack at the competition, don't cry when get knocked out, PROFIT.

Top Bottom