• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Barzul

Is there any concrete info for how long Ramsey is out for? Mertesacker said it was 2-3 weeks, but hoping for something more concrete.

FootballFan

Man, I don't know how Barcelona fans did it. There's nothing more boring than been a fan of the best team in the world, I mean... what's the point? You already won everything, you're the best, chances are you'll win 99% of the matches you play, you have a smug as coach, you can sign anyone you want.

I want to feel that agony of not knowing if we are even going to make it out of the group stage, winning an epic match in Old Trafford in the last minutes, having to promote youngsters because you don't have enough players in your squad, etc. That's football

Do it*

Lightning

Banned
Is there any concrete info for how long Ramsey is out for? Mertesacker said it was 2-3 weeks, but hoping for something more concrete.
I hope he's back before the Southampton game. Don't think we'll need Ramsey against Aston Villa or Fulham.

Southampton are 28th of January so plenty of time to not rush him back.

Provided we beat Spurs in the FA cup and no draws that force replays we have a friendly fixture list for January.

if you're getting desperate don't worry, Benfica plays today.

7BF4952853A2BA5E73891C7841D.jpg

FootballFan

Now I understand why Messi suddenly wants to leave. GOAT.

Messi is back in a week. Pretty exciting tbh.

This guy's stream is hilarious on ps4. Admitted to cheating on his gf with her sister the other night and someone put it on YouTube. He just a drunk "gangsta"

Kassu

Banned
I really do hope Wenger rotates our squad a bit more during January. We aren't going to win anything if our squad is dead from tiredness when big games start in February/March.

You're not a true fan unless you own your team's equivalent of this and use it for breakfast every day:

$(KGrHqV,!lcFI3wedvd,BSW!p766Sg~~60_35.JPG
That is amazing. Now I want to buy Arsenal toaster but I wonder if such thing even exists.

Lightning

Banned
The more I see that Eto'o and Oscar challenges the more I can't understand how they weren't sent off, especially Oscar. 2 feet, out of control in a scissors like action. Get fucked Chelsea.

Both teams deserved a penalty but Chelsea should have finished with 9 men. They're becoming the next Stoke now. Not attractive to watch and just want to play boring football kicking everyone. Get fucked Chelsea.

The more I see that Eto'o and Oscar challenges the more I can't understand how they weren't sent off, especially Oscar. 2 feet, out of control in a scissors like action. Get fucked Chelsea.

Both teams deserved a penalty but Chelsea should have finished with 9 men. They're becoming the next Stoke now. Not attractive to watch and just want to play boring football kicking everyone. Get fucked Chelsea.

The Eto'o foul was never going to be given by any premier league ref as a red card because it was in the 2nd minute of the game. Its one of those unwritten rules of football.
The Oscar one was worse and should have been a red but it was in the 94th minute so it wouldn't have changed the result of the game. Lucas was lucky as well that he got nothing for grabbing Oscars throat.

Chelsea play some very attractive attacking football. They are nothing like Stoke at all.

Salazar

How Webb didn't give anything for Eto'o on Suarez in the box, I have no idea.

Well, I do have an idea, because it's Howard fucking Webb.

But christ.

Feorax

I'm glad we've got Hull at home next, it's pretty much the perfect game to bounce back from. I would hope the team is feeling wounded and desperate to get a win, and you just know there will be a desire to get some revenge for what happened at Hull away.

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has already established himself as one of the more colourful foreign owners in English football.

But Tan’s strange habits go a lot further than changing the club’s colours and then deciding to hate the manager – after his bizarre transfer plans were revealed.

According to reports, Tan has informed Cardiff’s board that he prefers them to buy players with the number eight in their birth date.

So for example, any player born on January 8th 1988 would be right in there with Tan, who is planning on splashing the cash on new signings in the new year.

Eight is a respected number in Malaysia, and Tan in particular has a keen likening to it, with the news coming as no surprise to those who know the Cardiff supremo closely.

As a Malaysian, I am not surprised if this is true.

Feorax

Looks like Allen is out for 6 weeks, and Sakho for about 2 months. I suppose this confirms 2 things;

1. Agger won't be going anywhere in January.

2. A central midfielder just became even more of a priority.

Think there needs to be a real exodus of Rafa's "old guard" in the summer though. Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, maybe even Lucas since it's becoming hard to see him ever again becoming the player he was pre-injury.

When you look at inconsitency in the side, it's always the same names being brought up.

Mastadon

Banned
Looks like Allen is out for 6 weeks, and Sakho for about 2 months. I suppose this confirms 2 things;

Think there needs to be a real exodus of Rafa's "old guard" in the summer though. Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, maybe even Lucas since it's becoming hard to see him ever again becoming the player he was pre-injury.

When you look at inconsitency in the side, it's always the same names being brought up.

Poor Joe, he's having shitty luck with injuries. Sakho will be a big loss.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just don't understand why we would be interested in a shit player like Buttner. We already have one shit left back from United, we don't need another one.

Just recall BAE, there is no need to do anything else. Buttner would play just as little as he does right now, Rose will play most games. I can't see it happening.

tri_willy

i would keep lucas for now. but johnson can leave, thanks

sohois

I would be very surprised if Lucas leaves, he is a key part to how the team plays. I don't really buy that his performances have dropped off markedly either, it's just a different role for him. Under Kenny he was basically one of the stars of the squad and had a lot more freedom in a destroyer type role a la Masch.

under Rodgers his role is quite different, there is little need for the bombastic tackles against Yaya Toure and the like anymore. Majority of Lucas's work comes in interceptions, the forward players do the 'tackling', and through their pressure force the mistakes that Lucas mops up. It sounds easy, but in reality it takes a great game intelligence and reading of the game which few players have, including Mascherano in his prime.

The flip side is that it's much less noticeable than outmuscling Yaya Toure, there are no gifs to be made of his role. Couple that with a diminished responsibility now that other areas of the team are really stepping up and suddenly people can't see what he brings. It's much the same as under Benitez were fans simply couldn't see what Lucas was bringing to the team and he was made a scapegoat.

Salazar

How has Sakho been so far?

Dude I know is always saying how he looks like a waste of money so far. (Note - this dude might share some of the same prejudices as bacon).

Truly idiotic commentator after Torres burst past him late in the game.

"I dunno why Sakho backs off him. Why does Sakho back away there ?!?"

Because he'd done his hamstring you utter git.

GorillaJu

Dude I know is always saying how he looks like a waste of money so far. (Note - this dude might share some of the same prejudices as bacon).

Sakho looks very good, but he also looks like he needs a little bit of a breather between games. He has lost his nerves a few times but overall I think the only issue with him is the same issue we have with all our CB's, where we just put too much pressure on them to save us when the enemy team is breaking.

He does all the things extremely well that CBs are supposed to do - he reads the game and tackles well, is excellent in the air and his distribution from the back is good. He's very patient when picking a pass and finds Allen or Coutinho with consistency. What we need is for our midfielders and our right back to not give the ball away when teams are creating forward momentum. Nearly every goal against us has been from a fast break where the CBs are completely isolated and it's not really fair to judge them harshly for not stopping goals when its 4v2.

Mastadon

Banned

Looked a bit uncomfortable in the first game or two, but since then he's been fantastic, aside from the mad 10 minutes he had against City. He's a bit like Agger in his ability to play the ball out of defence, and in fact he has the best pass complete % in the whole squad. He's physically intimidating too, which helps.

He's comfortably our best centre back.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So Marotta was in the stands at White Hart Lane yesterday?

Go away, Lamela needs to get used to English football not go off on loan to some feudal league.

Feorax

Tello to LFC on loan until the end of the season acc to Radio Marca. Looks like Brenty will finally get his wish.

Hopefully means we're binning Moses too.

Zabojnik

So Marotta was in the stands at White Hart Lane yesterday?

Go away, Lamela needs to get used to English football not go off on loan to some feudal league.

Lamela? Lawl. Do you have any bench players you'd be willing to sell us for about 5M€? 'Cause that's what Marotta is looking for in January. Dead weight.

Feorax

It's ok lads, we got this:

http://mobi.supersport.com/football/zimbabwe/news/131230/Zimbabwean_prophet_predicts_Liverpool_to_win_title

A youthful Zimbabwean prophet Eubert Angel has prophesied that Liverpool will win the English Premier League title this season.

Angel who is the founder of Spirit Embassy church and once lived in Manchester is widely known for various football prophesies.

In May 2012 Angel prophesied that Chelsea would beat Liverpool to win the FA Cup a few hours before kickoff.

Chelsea went on to win 2-1 after he had correctly spelt the scoreline and gave exact goal descriptions.

He was again on point when he foretold Manchester United’s league glory last season.

A self-confessed Manchester United fan, he however sees Liverpool bagging it this season.

“Liverpool, I am with you this year and God has shown me he is returning you to your glory days,” he said.

It would be Liverpool’s 19th league title and their first since the 1989/1990 season.

Early this month Angel also correctly prophesised the exact day, date and time former South African President Nelson Mandela would die.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lamela? Lawl. Do you have any bench players you'd be willing to sell us for about 5M€? 'Cause that's what Marotta is looking for in January. Dead weight.

But seriously, why is he there?

Do we even need to scout former Serie A players?

Top Bottom