• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

GorillaJu

Pochettino:

Ok.

The Southampton manager further clarified his statement, claiming that "We don't want people to be imagining our young, supple, handsome players naked on a fur rug in front of the fire place, cuddling beagle puppies between their taut, shimmering pectorals."

The Argentinian, who is currently in his second year as head coach of the south coast club, has been criticized, perhaps unfairly, for refusing to field a team of anything except polished young studs with side parts.

Clegg

Moyes: We are a young team now, Phil Jones is still young, so is Tom, Adnan is in the team now, also Chris Smalling. I'm hoping to add to that as soon as I can and build a young, powerful team.
He ruined it by mentioning Cleverley.

Also: less talk, more action.

L1NETT

He's being investigated by the FA as far as I know Quiche

Heard 5 match ban being thrown around, not sure how accurate that this.

Manager

Has anything else been said about the Anelka situation since Saturday?

Some general stuff outside of the stuff mentioned above:
Nicolas Anelka gesture: 77% of French readers in magazine poll were not offended by the 'quenelle' celebration

"Nicolas Anelka’s ‘quenelle’ celebration may have been condemned across the political spectrum – but public opinion has not swung so decisively against the West Bromwich Albion striker, with a clear majority of respondents supporting Anelka in a survey for the French weekly news magazine Le Point.

A poll for the magazine’s website on the question "Are you offended by Nicolas Anelka’s ‘quenelle’ in support of Dieudonné?" saw over 33,000 readers vote ‘no’ – more than 77% of responses."

Anelka said his gesture, after the first of his two goals in the 3-3 draw at West Ham on Saturday, was a dedication to his good friend Dieudonné, a stand-up comedian who has been convicted in the past of anti-Semitic remarks. The striker, however, sought to clarify his reasons for the celebration on Sunday night. “Of course, I am neither racist nor anti-Semitic and I fully assume my gesture,” Anelka wrote on Twitter. “The meaning of ‘quenelle’ is anti-system. I do not know what religion has to do with this.”

Anelka has also received backing from the footballing fraternity, with Montpellier defender Mathieu Deplagne, who himself performed a ‘quenelle’ celebration earlier this year, insisting on French radio the gesture had “no political or anti-Semitic connotation”.

Deplagne added that if he scored again, he would “happily” repeat the celebration. His earlier ‘quenelle’ did not provoke a similar outcry, and the player was not disciplined by the French Football Federation.

Even bestselling daily Le Monde was less than unequivocal in its criticism of Anelka. In an editorial piece, respected sports correspondent Marc Roche condemned the gesture, but insisted it should be seen within the wider context of “a resurgence of anti-Semitism in the Premier League”, citing the Tottenham Hotspur ‘yids’ chant and Sunderland’s appointment of Paolo Di Canio as examples.

The row shows no signs of dying down, with French President Francois Hollande the latest figure to wade into the controversy. Chiming with his Sports Minister Valerie Fourneyron, who denounced the “shocking, sickening” gesture on Twitter, Hollande told reporters on Sunday that “the anti-Semitic character [of the ‘quenelle’] could not be denied”.

The FA must now untangle the competing arguments as it begins its investigation into the incident. If Anelka’s gesture is found to be discriminatory, he faces a minimum five-match ban.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...nded-by-the-quenelle-celebration-9030322.html

Wes

venison crêpe
KZesHaD.png

Hixx

Someone on RTG did some MATHS INNIT.

Since Poyet took over (11 games ago) the points gained since then:

1 Man City 25 pts +22
2 Arsenal 23 pts +10
3 Man Utd 23 pts +9
4 Chelsea 23 pts +7
5 Everton 22 pts +11
6 Newcastle 22 pts +8
7 Liverpool 19 pts +15
8 Tottenham 18 pts -5
9 Sunderland 13 pts -2
10 Crystal Palace 13 pts -5
11 Stoke City 13 pts -8
12 Hull City 12 pts +1
13 Southampton 12 pts +1
14 Norwich City 12 pts -9
15 Swansea 11 pts -2
16 Aston Villa 10 pts -6
17 Cardiff City 10 pts -10
18 West Brom 8 pts -6
19 West Ham 7 pts -6
20 Fulham 6 pts -21

Now when you consider we are rock bottom... just how shit was Di Canio?
KuGsj.gif
Poyet is picking up just under 10x the points per game as Di Canio did. Also 4 of the 5 home games in this period were the Skunks (8th?), City (2nd), Chelsea (3rd) and Spurs (7th).

We are now undefeated in our last 4 away games as well.

That's an interesting table for sure.

Don't think it's going to take much more than 80 points to win the title this season. I reckon 83 will be enough.

Wonder how many points it will take to clinch 4th spot this year. Last year it was 73 for Arsenal which was the highest for some time. Will probably be about 70 this time around.

Meier

I think Sunderland will definitely stay up at this point. They've made up so much ground since Poyet took over since the relegation battle teams above them keep losing. Should finish 13-15th IMO.

Scum

I think Sunderland will definitely stay up at this point. They've made up so much ground since Poyet took over since the relegation battle teams above them keep losing. Should finish 13-15th IMO.
Fulham are the ones that need to be careful. Their GD is now atrocious.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Seriously where is Jovetic?

Where we all knew he would be, on the treatment table.

He was never going to be able to hack it in England. Even if he had been playing, this Christmas schedule would have been to much for him. Maybe he'll appear in the Spring when the weather turns, he'd snap in two if he had to play in the cold.

Manager

Seriously where is Jovetic?

iyQyQZx9X3YRI.gif

He hasn't been training at all last week so he's not fit. He finally got fit 10 days ago but then got some kind of illness just before the Leicester match. Then, he got muscle strain the days after and now he's planned to be back later this week from that and hopefully play in a week or so (he said for the 10th time this fall).

I think he's had 5 or 6 different injuries this autumn, I don't know what to think anymore... I know Serie A-GAF said he's never 100% fit so maybe this is how it's gonna be. City fans are branding him the new Bojinov...

Zabojnik

I think he's had 5 or 6 different injuries this autumn, I don't know what to think anymore... I know Serie A-GAF said he's never 100% fit so maybe this is how it's gonna be. City fans are branding him the new Bojinov...

Bojinov, the memories. The horrible, horrible memories.

Something's off with Jovetic's injuries. He's always been injury prone, but he'd miss a couple of weeks and then be fit for 2-3 months, maybe more. Could be the new training regiment is fucking with his fragile muscles, I don't know.

Manager

Bojinov, the memories. The horrible, horrible memories.

Something's off with Jovetic's injuries. He's always been injury prone, but he'd miss a couple of weeks and then be fit for 2-3 months, maybe more. Could be the new training regiment is fucking with his fragile muscles, I don't know.

At first it seemed like that. The rest of the squad has also had a bunch of muscle strain injuries, and it was the same at Real Madrid when Pellegrini joined there. He demand a lot of pressing and maybe his training is tougher than Mancini's, who focused more on positioning in training.

But, a couple of months later, it still seems to be like day 1 without any progress for him. He had a longer injury in November, one month, and that's the injury he got fit from two weeks ago. Then, ill and then another muscle strain injury last week. I guess illness is normal and I guess it's possible to get a muscle strain after being out for 4-6 weeks. I just hope it sometime end so we can all see him on the pitch.

Pellegrini has stopped giving details on Jovetic on conferences, just says "out" or "fit" basically. I think City can afford to wait on him right now, as long as Negredo and Dzeko stay fit.

edit
It didn't help he ran off with the national team directly after becoming fit, then playing two full matches and then returning injured though.

Him against England:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoyfcbl4-cc

tri_willy

liverBROS, this is THE liverpool formation, with the ideal attacking 4-5-1

our best XI this season

---------------------mignolet--------------------------
flannigan-------skrtel-------sahko--------enrique
------gerrard------lucas-------hendoGOD---------
-----------suarez--------------coutinho-------------
-------------------sturridge---------------------------

bench: jones, johnson, toure, agger, sterling, alberto n co.

its arguable to leave out sturridge and do a switcheroo with sterling in the right attacking mid and have suarez as the lone striker.

-----------------------mignolet------------------------
flannigan-------skrtel-------sahko--------enrique
--------------gerrard---------lucas------------------
-------suarez------coutinho-----hendoGOD-----
-----------------------sturridge-----------------------

in some parts of the game, if we're pushing to attack more, we can go with this, have hendo push further up and return to the original formation when trying to set the tempo. having sterling as a super sub in the 2nd half will be very handy after the 60th min.

Feorax

Salah is apparently going to be doing an interview on TV in Egypt in about 10 mins or so. hoping he might confirm/deny a move.

Meier

Jovetic signed a long-term deal. His career at City won't be shaped by just 1 year IMO. Even if most of this year is a wash, I'll continue to wait and let him prove himself.

Meier

Wes Anderson is also born on May 1st so I win. So is Emilia Clarke.

In City related births, Marc-Vivien Foe was born on May 1. RIP. Same with Abdi Ibrahim.

Bonucci, Srna, Chucho Benitez (RIP) and Vydra are also May 1 apparently.

Manager

Am I odd for never having owned a tablet?

I see nowt point in them, but every fucker has them nowadays.

I recently got my first, 8" Tab 3. I now rarely use my phone at home, all browsing etc is obviously done by the tab. Plus, there's tons of great stuff on Android. I am no portable gaming guy but there's too much gaming greatness to ignore. I am planning to use it for books soon too.

Got my tab for cheap, €130, I'd never pay more than €150 for a tab.

Feorax

Couple of observations from my Youtube scouting trip (lol) on Salah -

1. His pace seems electric, and he has it over a distance. Whether he'll be able to use it in the PL is another matter, but in theory, he could be a real force on the counter.

2. Beating a man doesn't seem to be an issue, and he seems to have a similar sort of vision to Henderson in being able to pick out a teammate in close proximity and successfully make the pass. It's the kind of ability Suarez would thrive off.

3. His shooting seems to be about right for a winger. Hardly prolific, but 11 in 31 games IAC this season isn't to be sniffed at when you consider our goal return outside of Suarez and Studge.

4. Looks like he's good at drawing fouls, but I get the feeling he will get a reputation for going down too easily. I'd rather see him try to beat a man and fail than try to draw the foul any day of the week.

Manager

A Chromebook.

Why.

Pls no.

TBF, it's fn' hard finding a laptop that's light, longish battery life and ~€300-400 for school. I got a crazy deal on a Samsung Windows laptop fortunately but I was long thinking hard on a Chromebook. It's well enough for school work if you're only gonna use it for that.

Top Bottom