• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Feorax

Tello until the end of the season then Salah in Summer? Or both in winter? Or Tello story a complete fabrication? (Most likely this)

Tello story is from Marca, so I'm far from convinced, but if it were true, I can only see it being Tello and Salah both in January, and Moses fucking off out of here.

Fry

Looks like Allen is out for 6 weeks, and Sakho for about 2 months. I suppose this confirms 2 things;

1. Agger won't be going anywhere in January.

2. A central midfielder just became even more of a priority.

Think there needs to be a real exodus of Rafa's "old guard" in the summer though. Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, maybe even Lucas since it's becoming hard to see him ever again becoming the player he was pre-injury.

When you look at inconsitency in the side, it's always the same names being brought up.

Two months?!

Fuck. Me.

Walshy

It seems like Gerrard coming back from injury earlier than expected is a blessing in disguise now that Allen is out, otherwise Rossiter would of had to play there.

L1NETT

I share my birthday with Aaron Rodgers (one for you Americans) and the bassist from the Foo Fighters.

And Chris Burke.

--

Fucking hate rumour mill season.

QPR,Wigan and Blackburn all want wells for 3m.

And if James Vaughn goes to Celtic, so do the DB.

Sigh.

Mastadon

Banned
Moses on loaned seemed like such a good idea at the time.

It seems like Gerrard coming back from injury earlier than expected is a blessing in disguise now that Allen is out, otherwise Rossiter would of had to play there.

Yep. Quite neatly solves all the questions about whether Gerrard gets straight back in the side too. I think we'll miss Allen though, it's been nice to see him establish himself in the side a bit more after a dodgy start.

Fry

Yep. We also need Django back asap. Take the pressure of Suárez a bit.

I hope Henderson is ok, been loving his football.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You'll get Menez. And Nani.

Nani's games in the last two seasons:

HZ4HF1R.png

Not only did he fuck his hamstring again, but he also needs a bit of time to regain his fitness.

we don't have time

we don't have money

we don't have patience

United pls

Walshy

Moses on loaned seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Yep. Quite neatly solves all the questions about whether Gerrard gets straight back in the side too. I think we'll miss Allen though, it's been nice to see him establish himself in the side a bit more after a dodgy start.
Moses is one of those players that in theory should be brilliant: Quick, strong, skilful on the ball and really direct.

But he looks like he can't be bothered whenever he gets on the pitch.

Our strength and depth was really exposed this week. We need to cut the weak links in the squad if we make the champions league. January is a good time to start, we need to get rid of Moses, Cissokho and Aspas whilst we have the chance.

Nani just signed a new contract. Doubt he's going anywhere.

You can have Young though.

Man I hope this "form" Young is in can fool someone to bid for him and more importantly doesn't fool Moyes into keeping him.

Feorax

Our strength and depth was really exposed this week. We need to cut the weak links in the squad if we make the champions league. January is a good time to start, we need to get rid of Moses, Cissokho and Aspas whilst we have the chance.

I don't disagree, but to be fair, most sides in the league would have really struggled with the fixtures we had over Christmas.

Zabojnik

Cagliari are allegedly close to signing Adryan, 19yo AMF from Flamengo. Felipao, info.

Also, how much can we realistically get for Vucinic in the summer? 10M€?

Viva - I recall you having an interest in boxing. Amir Khan can't be fighting Floyd, can he ?
Seems he's managed to land it.

Makes sense in some ways, he's a "popular" fighter, as in people know who the fuck he is and his fights are generally entertaining because of his fast hands and disastrous defence.They'll manage to come up with some kind of "speed kills" hashtag to push the fight.

Mayweather will school him and probably manage a stoppage too. Khan will get paid which is what he really wants anyway.

That's boxing today...

Clegg

United were scouting the Sporting match last night. Is it too much to think that we were having one last look at Carvalho before bidding for him in January?

Probably

Walshy

I don't disagree, but to be fair, most sides in the league would have really struggled with the fixtures we had over Christmas.
That's true but the game would of been a lot different if we had genuine cover. What if we had just one of Chelsea's bench yesterday? We wouldn't have to bring on the likes of Smith.

The strength in depth between us and the likes of City, Chelsea and even Arsenal is the difference.

Tello on loan would be a good deal and Salah. Still think we need another forward, an attacking midfielder, a left back and a midfielder this window but we'll probably get one or two of them.

GorillaJu

That's true but the game would of been a lot different if we had genuine cover. What if we had just one of Chelsea's bench yesterday? We wouldn't have to bring on the likes of Smith.

The strength in depth between us and the likes of City, Chelsea and even Arsenal is the difference.

Tello on loan would be a good deal and Salah. Still think we need another forward, an attacking midfielder, a left back and a midfielder this window but we'll probably get one or two of them.

January is where you reinforce positions that where you have injuries or couldn't get a deal done over the summer. I don't think it's the right time to do some massive overhaul of all positions.

The problem areas that need addressing ASAP are wide attacker, central midfield and left back. If we got 2/3 sorted in January that'd be nice. 3/3 would help us maintain a challenge for a CL spot.

Walshy

January is where you reinforce positions that where you have injuries or couldn't get a deal done over the summer. I don't think it's the right time to do some massive overhaul of all positions.

The problem areas that need addressing ASAP are wide attacker, central midfield and left back. If we got 2/3 sorted in January that'd be nice. 3/3 would help us maintain a challenge for a CL spot.
In January though, a lot of the players who are at clubs who have gone out of Europe as well as fringe players at the oil clubs want out to get regular football will want out.

Don't underestimate the importance of a world cup year, a lot of players will be available in January. Liverpool shouldn't waste the opportunity to strengthen and go all out to get that Champions League spot.

A lot of our best business has came in January in recent times too: Sturridge, Coutinho, Agger, Suarez, Skrtel, Maxi Rodriguez and Mascherano.

confuziz

Banned
Damage this Steam Sale;

Brothers :€4,20
Dust : €3,50
World of Goo :€0,90
Batman Arkham City GOTY: Free
FTL: Free
Left For Dead 2: Free
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures: €6,30

Total : €14,90

Not bad for 7 games!

L1NETT

Ooop scrap that then, the Steam vultures know more than me :)

Damn good haul that Confuziz.

I got Deus Ex and Age of Empires II HD. Damn good stuff.

kharma45

All I've bought this Steam sale is Brothers and I paid for that using trading card money. Want to get Papers, Please so hopefully it goes on a daily before the end. I missed it last time.

Manager

What did Rodgers do last summer, how could they be forced to put on Smith after that many buys? Sure you got injuries but there must be some versatile players in there who can cover, instead of some U18 player.

Short comparison:
City: 21 outfield players
8 defenders
4 midfielders
4 wingers
4 strikers

Liverpool: 21 outfield players
10 defenders
4 midfielders
4 wingers
3 strikers

10 defenders - is it because Rodgers wanting to try 5-3-2? You bought 4 of them last summer too.

Regarding Smith vs Chelsea - maybe you need to invest more in versatile players who can cover more positions, someone like Milner has been gold to City. He has played anywhere from right back to left, right and central midfield.

Scum

Could be Baldini invited him to talk about the inevitable EL Juve - Spurs final? Dunno. Who are the players Spurs are looking to get rid of?
Something to do with Vucinicicici

Come on Baldini, wake up. This man is just a phone call away:

2EFC8985-D474-4D0F-826D-35A7D982C306-9712-00000EADC89693D8_zps6a40f4ab.jpg

Get him back, NAO!

All I've bought this Steam sale is Brothers and I paid for that using trading card money. Want to get Papers, Please so hopefully it goes on a daily before the end. I missed it last time.
I've been buying a lot. Ended up with about 30+ DLCs for Sleeping Dogs. :lol

OffensiveNaturalHornedviper.gif

UnsightlyPettyHamster.gif

MemorableFinishedAlbatross.gif

Oh, Paulinho. Also, fuck Charlie Adam.

Maybe something to do with the Vucinic rumours?

Paulinho was awesome yesterday. I'm also happy for Soldado. it's about time others realised he's on the pitch. Shame he didn't score for that flick.

Feorax

Why do you guys need 10 defenders? You bought 4 of them last summer too. Is it because Rodgers wanting to try 5-3-2?

Regarding Smith vs Chelsea: Maybe you need to invest more in versatile players who can cover more positions? Someone like Milner has been gold to City, he has played anywhere from right back to left, right and central midfield.

Well we lost Carragher, Skrtel and Agger have been far from convincing, and Coates already didn't look like he had a future here before his injury, so in hindsight, we bought the right amount of defenders. The only problem is that 3 of the 4 we needed to replace are still at the club in one capacity or another.

I'd argue we still need one more consistently class right-sided CB to partner Sakho over the next few years, and I'd be quite happy to see Agger and Skrtel go to make that happen.

Manager

Well we lost Carragher, Skrtel and Agger have been far from convincing, and Coates already didn't look like he had a future here before his injury, so in hindsight, we bought the right amount of defenders. The only problem is that 3 of the 4 we needed to replace are still at the club in one capacity or another.

I'd argue we still need one more consistently class right-sided CB to partner Sakho over the next few years, and I'd be quite happy to see Agger and Skrtel go to make that happen.

City has been without Richards all year and got plenty of injuries, and still managed four competitions with 8 defenders (7 without Richards). And to me, there's not that much separating your defenders and City's in ability.

City in reality have the fewest players of all top-6 squads in number. Sure, their backups are much more expensive than the other clubs, but there should be no excuse for a top-6 team to put on an unexperienced kid against a team like Chelsea. I know this topic has been covered though, but it's interesting to see how both City's and Liverpool's squads have the same amount of players. City has had plenty of injuries too, plenty, but has never been forced to put on youth.

Top Bottom