• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Clegg

Including cash in bank I can see that it would be quite possible.
Don't United usually have around £80m cash in bank at the end of every fiscal year? Pretty impressive we can keep that balance when you consider the repayments we have to make. Imagine what the club could do if it didn't have those payments to make?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
okay fuck this

I can guess what's going on based on their facial expressions anyway

I've been doing that for a while here

Don't United usually have around £80m cash in bank at the end of every fiscal year? Pretty impressive we can keep that balance when you consider the repayments we have to make. Imagine what the club could do if it didn't have those payments to make?
Yep. We had £83m at the last count. We'll probably have something like £30/£40m profit after the interest is paid on the debt this year so even we could, technically, spend €150m in the summer and not add to the debt.

Obviously won't happen but if we can do it then no reason why a well run club like Bayern who are rich and have a massive commercial side can't.

Arsenal could do it too.

Our debt repayment should be reduced a fair bit going forwards though, there is going to be a lot of surplus cash about. Think shareholder dividends will be back within a couple of years.

:loooooooooool

yurt why don't you pay a month of netflix?
Isnt the first month free anyway?

Clegg

Yep. We had £83m at the last count. We'll probably have something like £30/£40m profit after the interest is paid on the debt this year so even we could, technically, spend €150m in the summer and not add to the debt.

Obviously won't happen but if we can do it then no reason why a well run club like Bayern who are rich and have a massive commercial side can't.

Arsenal could do it too.

Our debt repayment should be reduced a fair bit going forwards though, there is going to be a lot of surplus cash about. Think shareholder dividends will be back within a couple of years.

It's things like this which annoy me about United. When Woodward and Moyes says there's money to spend I don't doubt that. We know the money is there. But we also know that we'll never spend as much as we could and probably should.

Walshy

What did Rodgers do last summer, how could they be forced to put on Smith after that many buys? Sure you got injuries but there must be some versatile players in there who can cover, instead of some U18 player.

Short comparison:
City: 21 outfield players
8 defenders
4 midfielders
4 wingers
4 strikers

Liverpool: 21 outfield players
10 defenders
4 midfielders
4 wingers
3 strikers

10 defenders - is it because Rodgers wanting to try 5-3-2? You bought 4 of them last summer too.

Regarding Smith vs Chelsea - maybe you need to invest more in versatile players who can cover more positions, someone like Milner has been gold to City. He has played anywhere from right back to left, right and central midfield.
Liverpool’s summer last year was mainly built on bolstering the defence, the weak link within our side last season. We needed to buy more aerially dominant defenders who both had leadership qualities. The two centre backs we brought in Sakho and Touré both match this description. Sakho was the captain of PSG and he has been aerially dominant and has perhaps been one of the very few defenders who have managed to defend set pieces at a decent standard this season. He’s been by far our best defender. Touré, however was brought in as cover and to fill the void that was left by Carragher: an experienced leader who has a winning mentality. Bar the game away at Hull, he’s been one of our best free transfers. Illori has been brought in for the future, I have no idea why he isn’t playing or hasn’t had any game time to be honest.

The left-back position has been a problem all season long. Cissokho has been our worst player this season and was dreadful against City. Similar to the Sahin loan deal last season, Rodgers who has significantly improved a lot of our first XI (Suarez looks a more potent striker than he ever did under Dalglish, for example) just can’t seem to recapture Cissokho’s form he showed at Porto and Lyon. Enrique has been injured all season leaving us with no decent left-back for most of the season. Flanagan has come in and been a revelation, however he is injured.

That leaves us to the players which we already had before the summer who I haven’t mentioned: Coates, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson and Kelly. Coates didn’t have a future at the club at the start of the summer, but he did his ligaments in pre-season, ruling him out for the whole season. Agger has been solid except for in set-pieces. Johnson has dropped off in form since November and rumours around FSG wanting him to take a pay-cut. Skrtel will be probably sold at the end of the season.

Regarding the left-back question and why Smith was to play there: Kelly wasn’t on the bench as he can’t play more than 30 minutes of football. Enrique was injured, Cissokho wasn’t to be trusted vs. Hazard/Oscar/Willian, Agger was playing there from the start but is awful there, Gerrard could play there but as you guessed he’s injured and so is Flanagan. Allen and Henderson were already carrying knocks (Allen took an injection to play vs. Chelsea) and we only had three fit midfielders over the age of 20. Jack Robinson, one of our best prospects is out on loan and so is Wisdom.

We’ve just been ravaged by injuries and if we had a bit better squad quality/depth we could of maybe brought on an established player. Lots of Liverpool fans on Twitter think playing Smith was a political move by Rodgers to try and get a serious amount of funds from FSG in January, but I doubt it.

I want him at Liverpool so bad.

Ayre pls.

Feorax

@ramirabeh: Presenter saying that Salah can't say on air that he will sign for Liverpool as he is in the final stage of negotiations.

So he can't say he's signing because he's still in the process of signing?

I'll fucking take it.

bud23

you think darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark

i was born in it, moulded by it

i didn't see the light until I was already a man

by then it was nothing to me but blinding

Here he is of the air, a beautiful thing for the light to shine on. Perhaps you will remember that. He is Bud. That is not his real name. Thank you very much.

He is mostly now a poet. Every day he sits in his room and writes another poem about Pulga´s mom and Wilb´s flaccid cock. He makes up all the words himself, just like when he lived in the dark.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
:loooooooooool

yurt why don't you pay a month of netflix?

tumblr_my7ym8BHHR1s8z5rho1_250.gif

see, Jupp, you should've led with that

tumblr_my7tptqOQy1s8z5rho1_400.gif

now we're talking

faridmon

Yep same.

So what/who's next on the agenda? Tello?

------------------------------------------

Fixtures for the next part of the season. City and Arsenal have a lot of tough away games.

OK, that's great for us. We do have good record at Stamford Bridge and Spurs are quite shite (unless they improve on February)

The derby is the only match that is worrying me.

WJD

Fixtures for the next part of the season. City and Arsenal have a lot of tough away games.

Can see us getting a point at Arsenal but losing at Chelsea and Everton. Beating Liverpool and Spurs at home and drawing with City.

ie. Pretty much bang-average for where we want to be.

wedward

Samir Nasri Official
The pose in the picture i posted over 2 months ago symbolises being against the system.

Which system is that Samir?

Messi

I may not like Masch very much at time but this tackle right here was worth all the money barca paid for him.

KMc1gEo4sU.gif

Apologies for the shitty gif but there arent many videos of the tackle around anymore.

wedward

I may not like Masch very much at time but this tackle right here was worth all the money barca paid for him.

KMc1gEo4sU.gif

Apologies for the shitty gif but there arent many videos of the tackle around anymore.

More of Bendtner being a fuckup than Masch making a good tackle.

Horrid first touch.

Lightning

Banned
We play the Manchester clubs at the Emirates, that's the important thing.

I feel very confident in Arsenal can get results at Anfield, White Hart Lane and Goodison. Stamford Bridge is a piss off but that's only 3 points and hopefully the guys avoid losing that game.

L1NETT

I let it pass me by and then regretted it when it was obvious it was so good.

Problem is I did watch Top of the Lake and refuse to believe even Broadchurch can top it now.

That's the one with peggy from Mad Men right? Need to see that.

Utopia is also mint.

Lightning

Banned
Liverpool seem to be quick at identifying targets and moving for them.

Wish we could do that.
Not really dude. Liverpool targets seem pretty hit and miss. Easier to pursue the kind of targets they are targeting as they are targeting squad players rather than outstanding proven quality that we require. The players we need are as a result much harder to get.

Top Bottom