• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Messi

W2ffokc.png

Shame looks like Spiderman.

They generally all look like Barca kit concept leaks.

Sad buy true loool

K1LLER7

Or just get deals for the summer wrapped up before the WC like we did with Hernandez.
It's possible but it may be a different situation if we go for someone like Koke who will have numerous clubs after him. A.Madrid could quite easily wait till after the WC to get a better deal.

Salvadora

I think we should either invest in a younger LB or at least try Fabio.

I wouldn't want us to pay £20m for a 29 year old fullback even if he was the best LB in the league last season. I'd rather we spend that on Shaw.
Lets look at the facts.

Southampton won't sell Shaw, fact. United are fighting for a top four spot and the consequence of missing it is far greater than £20m, fact. Baines still has a couple of great years in him, fact. Evra is done, fact.

K1LLER7

Lets look at the facts.

Southampton won't sell Shaw, fact. United are fighting for a top four spot and the consequence of missing it is far greater than £20m, fact. Baines still has a couple of great years in him, fact. Evra is done, fact.
Time to give Fabio a chance then :p

We buy a good CM, we'll get top 4. This is our main problem. Defence has no protection when Jones is out.

Lets look at the facts.

Shaw is a Chelsea fan, fact. Ashley wants him at the Bridge, fact.

COME TO US SHAW, WE WILL PLAY YOU EVERY* WEEK!

*4th week

Lightning

Banned
Que?

He's better than any LB we have at Spurs.
Spurs would never spend the amount required on a left back. Shaw is going to be very expensive but he would get into Chelsea, City and United's teams as well. He wouldn't play every week at Chelsea, he would play most weeks at City and he would play pretty much every week at United.

Arsenal don't need a left back so I didn't include us.

GorillaJu

I don't hate Evra, he has been good for us for the last couple of years but he's definitely too old for first team football for us.

I don't think age is the major factor here, he's still extremely fast and does a lot in attack for United. Lots of assists and good goals from set pieces. His issues are positional awareness and man marking, which are things not really related to age I reckon

faridmon

I don't think age is the major factor here, he's still extremely fast and does a lot in attack for United. Lots of assists and good goals from set pieces. His issues are positional awareness and man marking, which are things not really related to age I reckon

Yeah, besides, plenty of LB are old and at the same time good enough to attack and defend, Baines and Cole to mention a few.

Salazar

Aye. Peculiar that a player who is decent to better-than-decent on the overlap struggles to cope with attackers doing it.

The aspects of his positioning that bother me are related, really - him basically attaching himself to the centrebacks and letting his winger and a random midfielder (usually Cleverley, which rarely works out well) take care of his side doesn't do us any favours. And the fact that he's in the box would seem to add to the problems we have with having a sufficient or excessive number of bodies around the ball but nobody apprehending a clear responsibility and means* of dealing with it. It's like he's studiously minding the near post in open play.

*Not just the defenders. Kagawa and Rooney have played some atrociously dangerous stuff inside and just outside our box. Van Persie (probably owing to the frequency of defensive panic at Arsenal, bless him) commonly tends to know what to do and gets on with it. But things like letting it bounce, weakly clearing into the middle of the park, gently heading it back towards your own goal.

Salazar

There is no impetus whatsoever for a Luke Shaw transfer.

Probable that his name is there purely as damage control if we get stooged on Baines again.

i.e., "Yeah, but look - we'll be in for Shaw when the time comes"

You don't know how much I fucking hate when people use tropes as reasons why they hate a story.

Yep. Some things are commonly used for a reason, because they fucking work. Feels like people have only started saying the word since that feminist Kickstarter nonsense started, and now they crowbar it into their posts/speech. Same happened with roguelike about 18 months ago. Random events? Roguelike. Harsh punishment for failure? Roguelike. Videogame? Roguelike.

Patrick Klepek is the worst for both.

Speaking of that knobend, the GOTY podcasts bought about some of the worst stuff I've heard from GiantBomb. Whether its Klepek claiming the shite gameplay in Papers Pls is irrelevant because its intentional, or the crew pandering to Brad and having Dota 2 on their lists, or Vinny saying nothing, or Alex Navarro generally droning on in that nasal voice of his.

They barely talked about the actual merits of the games they discussed.

Another word I hate is IQ.

Yep. Some things are commonly used for a reason, because they fucking work. Feels like people have only started saying the word since that feminist Kickstarter nonsense started, and now they crowbar it into their posts/speech.

Fuck yes. Me and a friend even use it as a guide to know whose opinions to trust in writing or reviews. People who complain about tropes are people who want to become a writer, but doesn't put an effort to write anything worth shit.

Lightning

Banned
Gaming journalists are overrated anyway
Football journalists are the same. Just so called professionals giving opinions on things but majority of them are like your average GAF user unable to separate their personal bias from their opinions and assessments.

Gary Neville is great and can remove bias but most of the rest can't.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'd be inclined to believe him if he didn't keep trying to break Bale

He knows what he's doing, his record against us is there for all to see.

10/11 - deliberately crushes Bale's ankle
11/12 - goes in knee high on Scott Parker, red card
12/13 - attacks Bale again during pre-season, twice goes for Vertonghen from behind and is shown a red card at the Britannia
13/14 - attacks Paulinho's ankle

Top Bottom