• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Walshy

Fantastic win, everyone was fantastic although I think Johnson was poor first half but he picked up second half.

Our football was so fluid, the midfield was a joy to watch.

Enjoyed the cameo from Alberto too, his pass to Suarez for the 4th. Hnnnggg.

I think depth will be okay for now. Someone with a different skill set to Giroud who can offer a bit of a different outlet for the rest of the year. Then in the summer you can look at someone like Diego Costa or Mitroglou.
Mitroglou is ours in January.
I hope

Says a lot about the legacy of LFC over the past 20 years that being second in the league after beating Spurs 5-0 away, and after 16 games, we still don't feel even close to title contenders.
Yeah, we still lack strength in depth though but considering we have Enrique, Gerrard and Sturridge out of the side we are coping seriously well.

Still need three or four players in January.

subtles

I'm glad Suarez stayed and is playing well. I thought he should've been allowed to leave but decent strikers are very difficult to come by, especially one of his caliber.

Define 'scary ass striker'?

Either way, you're right about Suarez.

Well too me Suarez and Man Citeh's strikers in the premier.

Players you just know are going to score. The Henry's, Drogba's, Ronaldo's and Messi's. Suarez is on that level at the moment.

Playing against forwards of that calibre will fuck with anyone's mind. And Arsenal lack that player, it just makes brushing aside teams that much harder than it could be.

The advantage of having that sort of player who's everyone's focus is on helps other players in the team too. Frees up their game somewhat, and takes the pressure off.

With Arsenal it's the whole team that needs to perform, and when that doesn't happen there's no one to rely on to bail them out. And the opposition doesn't have worry so much about individuals.

I think Walcott is capable enough, but he needs to be used correctly. He's got pace and he can finish. He's wasted on the wing.

Salvadora

I think depth will be okay for now. Someone with a different skill set to Giroud who can offer a bit of a different outlet for the rest of the year. Then in the summer you can look at someone like Diego Costa or Mitroglou.
I think to what Arnie was saying about Arsenal not needing a top class striker, and I think he has a point, but damn if it isn't sad to see what Suarez/RVP and their ilk do every week and not feel envious.

Someone of a different style to Giroud would certainly be welcome. We need pace.

Splatt

With one of their best and most expensive teams in the PL era, surely?

He's underachieving with a squad like this.

iJcb9RjiJ5pt1.gif

Frank pls, that was too easy.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I expect Milan, a CL team, to completely destroy Roma, a Coppa Italia team, tomorrow.

Pls, I'm the first to admit that we are horrible, even below EL-quality this year. Don't know why you guys always have to troll Milan when I make any comment about Serie A. Dat insecurity.

We only scrape through in the CL thanks to dat DNA. We will get embarrassed in the knockout round.

Mastadon

Banned
I think to what Arnie was saying about Arsenal not needing a top class striker, and I think he has a point, but damn if it isn't sad to see what Suarez/RVP and their ilk do every week and not feel envious.

Someone of a different style to Giroud would certainly be welcome. We need pace.

I'd give Theo a go in the position in honesty. Seems like an obvious solution to your pace issue!

I'm petrified of Suarez leaving and us spunking the money up the wall. Spurs show just how easy it is to get it wrong.

Starting to think that if we sell him, we should blow it all on a top class player, or a chunk of it on 2 replacements, and keep the rest in the bank until we're ready to spend it wisely. The fans would whinge, but too many changes at once can be disastrous

nemesun

Or maybe he just needs time?

AVB got Spurs to their highest ever points total (in the Premier League era) last season and suddenly he's a shit manager?
I'm sure you meant "Bale" got Spurs to their highest ever points total? The amount of last minute outside the box Hail Marys that boy dished out last season was unbelievable.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Pls, I'm the first to admit that we are horrible, even below EL-quality this year. Don't know why you guys always have to troll Milan when I make any comment about Serie A. Dat insecurity.

We only scrape through in the CL thanks to dat DNA. We will get embarrassed in the knockout round.
Zabo is genuinely not trolling!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Or maybe he just needs time?

AVB got Spurs to their highest ever points total (in the Premier League era) last season and suddenly he's a shit manager?

He did and he is a good manager, I still believe that. His fatal flaw is his stubbornness, anybody with a brain could see that playing such a misshapen back 4 in the same high-line style that works with Rose, Chiriches etc was asking for it. This back 4 played one game together against the worst team in the league and suddenly they can handle Suarez? Our defense should have been 10 yards deeper from the first minute.

Feorax

I'm petrified of Suarez leaving and us spunking the money up the wall. Spurs show just how easy it is to get it wrong.

Starting to think that if we sell him, we should blow it all on a top class player, or a chunk of it on 2 replacements, and keep the rest in the bank until we're ready to spend it wisely. The fans would whinge, but too many changes at once can be disastrous

I have faith that if Suarez goes, we'll spend the money the right way. Look at the big targets we went for. Diego Costa, Mkhitaryan, Willian, all great players.

Simple fact is though, that unless you get in Messi or Ronaldo, you can't replace Suarez like for like right now.

Blackhead

Redarse
With one of their best and most expensive teams in the PL era, surely?

He's underachieving with a squad like this.

No, not really. Last year's squad wasn't that amazing or that expensive.

*shrug*

I'll place a bet that Rodgers will end up in this same situation next year. Liverpool will finish 4th/5th, lose Suarez in the summer, buy so-called replacements, and be struggling by November. Another victim of his own success.

nemesun

Aye he'd do a good job for you I think. Still wouldn't be able to play in the CL if you signed him in the summer, so you have to question whether it's worth it at the point and whether or not you'd be better off waiting until summer when he'll likely be a lot cheaper.
Wouldn't sweat it over him being cup tied in the CL, we're getting our arse handed to us next round anyways.

Walshy

I don't think Madrid would want him, I think they are going for Aguero come next summer.

subtles

Do you guys think Suarez will stay if we make it to the CL or is him leaving a forgone conclusion? I haven't really followed any developments (interviews, etc) outside of the games as I've been incredibly busy.

Zabojnik

All in good fun, Frank. I wish we had a tenth of that CL DNA. :/

I don't believe you, everyone knows Roma is going to destroy us tomorrow. We may dominate possession as usual but unless we get a lucky penalty or two we won't be able to score. Totti will eat our shitty defenders alive.

Everybody thinks Roma will destroy Milan tomorrow. Which is exactly why I'm optimistic. Milan have it in them to pull a great performance out of their asses from time to time. A have a good feeling about tomorrow's match.

I also had a good feeling about Istanbul though.

Feorax

Do you guys think Suarez will stay if we make it to the CL or is him leaving a forgone conclusion? I haven't really followed any developments (interviews, etc) outside of the games as I've been incredibly busy.

Depends.

If we scrape 4th, I think he'll still go.

If we come 3rd or 2nd, and buy well in Jan, I think we can convince him with a bumper contract.

The team is built to make him look and play amazing, he won't have a guarantee of that anywhere else.

JonnyBrad

I think Gerrard gave it away in the studio. He said if one of the big guns come in (By that he means Real/Bayern/Barca) he may well go.

It would take Bale money though and he would need to not bite anyone between now and the end of the season.

A lot depends on how the media here treats him during the world cup.

The Sun aren't exactly fans of Liverpool for that matter.

Blackhead

Redarse
edit:
Depends.

If we scrape 4th, I think he'll still go.

If we come 3rd or 2nd, and buy well in Jan, I think we can convince him with a bumper contract.

The team is built to make him look and play amazing, he won't have a guarantee of that anywhere else.

^^^
what he said, although I think you'll need to win the league

Salvadora

Madrid won't get Aguero.

They would be going up against a club with limitless financial resources and absolutely no reason to sell (+ under long term contract).

subtles

Sensible points, Xabi leaving after a phenomenal season was inevitable and I was wondering if Suarez's situation was reminiscent of that. We'll find out at the end of the season.

MPW

Bayern with either Suarez or Aguero would be scary. Though they will most likely just get Lewa right?

yeah they are getting lewa ... on a free transfer

spurs - over 100m spent and losing 5-0 at home, things don't look good for avb

Top Bottom