• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Weekend has demonstrated that having a scary ass striker helps a lot in winning must win matches. Shocking.

Psychologically it has an immediate impact on other teams, not to mention the boost in confidence of your own.

If Arsenal are serious about wanting to win the league we need a big name forward, simply as that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Weekend has demonstrated that having a scary ass striker helps a lot in winning must win matches. Shocking.

Psychologically it has an immediate impact on other teams, not to mention the boost in confidence of your own.

If Arsenal are serious about wanting to win the league we need a big name forward, simply as that.
Define 'scary ass striker'?

Either way, you're right about Suarez.

Feorax

Or you need one that could thrive in your system and get a reputation.

I saw that Michu was hinting at looking for a move, he could do some real damage for you.

L1NETT

Harry in charge, he'll bring Krancjar and BAE with him. Maybe Taarabt in a bit of range rover window shopping
Jol assistant

Clive Allen number 3
Joe Jordan number 4

Robbie Keane on loan

David Bentley is a free agent, bring him in.

Sorted.

Bumhead

Banned

Agreed and commented on that earlier.

Defensively Spurs didn't look like they thought they could deal with Suarez, never mind actually do it.

jtb

Banned
Yeah I don't doubt that, but I wonder if he'd be better off without one. Not sure.

Rodgers has been cementing himself more and more as a figure at Liverpool, changing up the youth personnel and has made good signings like Sakho, Coutinho, and Sturridge without a DOF, and he's not much more experienced than Villas Boas. Different personalities I suppose.

I think Rodgers has benefited from being under much less pressure. The expectations were lower, just about any level of competence would be seen as an improvement over the huge spending and minimal returns under Dalglish, and the media doesn't seem to hate Rodgers in the same way they despise AVB. Every time AVB does something stupid, it's dissected to death because 'Arry would never have done anything stupid like that, because the margin of error to get to the top 4 is so slim, etc. The players probably hear the constant negativity and when things go wrong, they might buy into it.

That's not an excuse for AVB, since he knew as what the expectations were when he took the job—but I think they're also products of their different environments a bit.

LTWheels

Nw1vwg1.gif

bjaelke

"Henderson also won possession back 8 times. More than any other player."

hnnng

"Allen won 8 tackles for LFC.
Henderson created 3 chances and scored & 92% pass accuracy
Lucas with 94% pass accuracy
Sakho with 96%"

hnnnnnng

pls

saints game not for another 2 hours

subtles

Just missed the game as I thought it would be starting at 11 but it seems like that was ET. Luckily I had it recorded and look forward to the game. Scoreline is impressive.

L1NETT

That's why Levy will be considering a change. Our situation is still recoverable.

Unless he's a got a replacement, he won't.

It isn't that bad, just put some shocking performances in across what's been a poor start. After splurging on attacking talent the return is abysmal.

Your aren't adrift, or Juande Ramos'd.

"Henderson also won possession back 8 times. More than any other player."

hnnng

"Allen won 8 tackles for LFC.
Henderson created 3 chances and scored & 92% pass accuracy
Lucas with 94% pass accuracy
Sakho with 96%"

hnnnnnng

pls

saints game not for another 2 hours
Colts are playing. Also NE vs Miami is gonna be good. I will watch Saints later.

My word

Flanagan is feeding me crow every match, and it tastes so good.

Henderson should go to the world cup

Sterling is going to be a beast against open teams, and hopefully others as well

Nothing more to be said about Suarez

Beat Cardiff (no excuses) and we'll be exceptionally well placed. Even if City batter us, call it a writeoff and move on having gained unexpected points today

Have to beat Cardiff first though. Pls.

One minor criticism, Aspas should have come on instead of Moses. Persisting with Moses is futile in the short, medium and long term.

So happy. Brendan's battleship is right on course

Mastadon

Banned
We might or might not, but our expectations and hopes will certainly not be met.

We need someone who will grab us by the scruff of our neck and push us on. That won't happen in January.

Who's available though? You aren't getting Suarez, and every other striker of that calibre is cup-tied or already playing for a bigger club.

Danchi

We might or might not, but our expectations and hopes will certainly not be met.

We need someone who will grab us by the scruff of our neck and push us on. That won't happen in January.

Sanabria and maybe someone like Marica, at most.

I still wouldn't mind Ba, but even with how much Mourinho dislikes him it seems unlikely.

edit: Those Pato rumours are still kicking around too.

nemesun

Good grief, north London teams been stinking it up all weekend. I kinda feel bad for AVB, I'm sure he'll land on his feet just fine after he gets his marching order tonight, but post-Bale transition was always going to be a challenge for any manager.

Salvadora

Who's available though? You aren't getting Suarez, and every other striker of that calibre is cup-tied or already playing for a bigger club.
Exactly, it's slim pickings at the highest level.

On the one hand we do need depth, but at the same time if the quality is of a similar level or below to Giroud, it won't do us much good. Liverpool bros will chime in with "Suarez and Sturridge were purchased in January", but that is few and far between.

Benfica is laugh factory right now. They suffered a goal on the 8th minute, equalized with an offside goal but they are once again losing against Olhanense, thanks to a 30 yard shot.

Mastadon

Banned
Exactly, it's slim pickings at the highest level.

On the one hand we do need depth, but at the same time if the quality is of a similar level or below to Giroud, it won't do us any good. Liverpool bros will chime in with "Suarez and Sturridge were purchased in January", but that is few and far between.

I think depth will be okay for now. Someone with a different skill set to Giroud who can offer a bit of a different outlet for the rest of the year. Then in the summer you can look at someone like Diego Costa or Mitroglou.

I hear Benzema might be on the market. Wouldn't mind him tbh.

Aye he'd do a good job for you I think. Still wouldn't be able to play in the CL if you signed him in the summer, so you have to question whether it's worth it at the point and whether or not you'd be better off waiting until summer when he'll likely be a lot cheaper.

Feorax

Says a lot about the legacy of LFC over the past 20 years that being second in the league after beating Spurs 5-0 away, and after 16 games, we still don't feel even close to title contenders.

Top Bottom