• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

Andre Marriner had an oddly great game. I don't think he got anything wrong - apart from Rafael not being sent off for a second yellow for fucking stamping on Borini.

You might be in trouble too:
And the FA has also said it will investigate at least two incidents involving flares and smoke bombs during Sunderland's 2-1 victory at the Stadium of Light.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9106525/

Re what he thought was wrong:
The defeat, United's third in a row, equalled their worst run in 13 years and after the match a furious Moyes said: "It's really terrible, it really is, we're actually beginning to laugh at them.

"We just need to keep going, we didn't do an awful lot wrong. We conceded a terrible first goal from the free-kick, but it was never a free-kick, it was our free-kick.

"I thought the referee was going to blow in our direction. I couldn't believe he gave a free-kick for that Jonny Evans challenge on Fletcher in the air, it was just a terrible decision.

"We've got an opposition to play and sometimes we've got other people to play at the moment."

t_Hitzlsperger.jpg

Legend.

A player who was way too lazy on the pitch but an awesome person it seems.

I just posted in the OT thread, but I don't like when sportsmen do this. he never came out when he was playing so why should I care that he wants to come out now?

L1NETT

WJD

Andre Marriner had an oddly great game. I don't think he got anything wrong - apart from Rafael not being sent off for a second yellow for fucking stamping on Borini.

Also Adam Johnson's dive of Young proportions.

Slizz

I just posted in the OT thread, but I don't like when sportsmen do this. he never came out when he was playing so why should I care that he wants to come out now?

You go out of your way to not like it? Weird, seems like ignoring it is simpler, if it is such a problem.

Hixx

There was absolutely minimal contact and he jumped to floor like a fairy. If it had been Januzaj at the other end you'd have been seething.

He leans into him with the most stupid attempt of a tackle you are likely to see. It's a foul.

A foul. In the box. A penalty.

There's no argument to be had, really.

Steve Hughes bit on straightness of gays is hilarious

Wish the whole feminine thing would pass but whatevs.

Sigh. Shows an example to closeted footballers and fans that the homophobic sub culture around the sport can be challenged and hopefully, change for the better.

You go out of your way to not like it? Weird, seems like ignoring it is simpler, if it is such a problem.

Sigh indeed.

I would have preferred for him to come out when he was playing. it is nothing to be ashamed of and I want all gay players to feel they can come out and be who they are.

I just don't like it when sportsmen feel that is something they hide when they are playing and then feel the need to make a public announcement of it once they are retired.

Jack cw

Because it shows whats terribly wrong with this sport. The irony is that football connects the world and the cultures but hides its uglyness in form of racism and homphobia, coupled with wrong values under silence.

WOW I did not realise that this was their third loss in a week since 92.

It looks like the only sacred PL record that Moyes hasn't tarneshed of Fergie is
I might be pulling this out of my arse, but I think I heard it during the Arsenal game
is that United have never lost a PL game that they have been leading at home at half time. As soon as that happens surely the shit will really hit the fan.

Because it shows whats terribly wrong with this sport. The irony is that football connects the world and the cultures but hides its uglyness in form of racism and homphobia, coupled with wrong values under silence.

I genuinely would like to see a pioneer come out and then it would force the issue to be tackled head on. As with rascism there are always those who will chant horrible things, but it is not as bad in the UK as it was in the 80s and anyone who chants shit is banned from the club and arrested. Eventually that will become the same with homosexual slurs.

P.S I really hope Cashley will be the pioneer. :p

Manager

Does anyone remember any particular moments in the 2nd half that warranted 5+1 min stoppage time yesterday btw? Just a couple of subs, no real injury right? Poyet was completely mad.

I remember when Owen scored 50 seconds of so over the even so ridiculous Fergie time in the derby. Just stepped right up, went outside and walked for two hours. Often you feel like they never really make any sense whatsoever, and it must be hard for the players to know if it's 2 or 6 minutes left to play in the 89th minute.

Really weird how some referees add up minutes after original stoppage time is out, like the one extra yesterday, while some always whistle exactly at the original X minute mark. Makes no sense that there are so many rules that referees use differently.

Does anyone remember any particular moments in the 2nd half that warranted 5+1 min stoppage time yesterday btw? Just a couple of subs, no real injury right? Poyet was completely mad.

I remember when Owen scored 50 seconds of so over the even so ridiculous Fergie time in the derby. Just stepped right up, went outside and walked for two hours. Often you feel like they never really make any sense whatsoever, and it must be hard for the players to know if it's 2 or 6 minutes left to play in the 89th minute.

Really weird how some referees add up minutes after original stoppage time is out, like the one extra yesterday, while some always whistle exactly at the original X minute mark. Makes no sense that there are so many rules that referees use differently.

technically, you should add 30 extra seconds per substitution and other situation (injuries, etc) it's at the referee's descretion.

if a player is injured in added time and needs assistance, the rules allow and encourage refs to add added time to the added time.

Salvadora

technically, you should add 30 extra seconds per substitution and other situation (injuries, etc) it's at the referee's descretion.

if a player is injured in added time and needs assistance, the rules allow and encourage refs to add added time to the added time.
It's the inconsistency which is the worst (like lots of referee decisions).

Kopite

Saw this just now. Who said it, Moyes at Man Utd or Hodgson at Liverpooll?

“I can guarantee that at the end of the season we won't be where we are now in the league.”

“No I did not need to lift my spirits after Newcastle – that raised my spirits. It just made me more determined to make sure we improve and get better.”

“Sitting in the chair for the first time felt odd. I did it myself with nobody looking. I thought I would have to see how it feels in case anybody thought I looked stupid.”

“No doubt if, by January, he hasn't succeeded in convincing me that he is the player we need then he will have to accept we will be in the transfer market for a centre-forward once again.”

“Having a game of this magnitude coming so early in my time here isn't exactly ideal. I'm hoping we'll give it our best shot and give a good account of ourselves. Then we'll see what the game brings.”

“We played quite well at times, got near the edge of the box quite regularly.”

“I think it’s important that I took the punches. I’ve taken the punches and I’m happy to do that. Not for a minute did I think this was going to be an easy job. There will be days like we had on Sunday and there might be more of them.”

“I’m at a club where people expect great things. When we’re nearer the middle of the table than the top, people will suggest, ‘If someone else was here it would be different’. I’m not sure that’s the case. A lot of intelligent people understand that.”

“Maybe what I have realised is there is plenty of work to do here but I am certainly very satisfied with the job I have done here and I don’t feel any dissatisfaction whatsoever.”

“The second half was as good as I have seen the team play under my management, that is for sure, I think it was a very good second-half performance. I am refusing to accept it was a bad team performance.”

“We played very well, if you look at the games against Swansea, Chelsea and today, we have played well.”

Manager

My point was mostly:
It's the inconsistency which is the worst (like lots of referee decisions).

If you have 6 subs, the stoppage time is 3 minutes. Yesterday was 5 subs, so the ref somehow doubled the 2½ subs minutes to 5 and then added the extra one minute in stoppage time. While, as I said, you often see referees blowing the whistle on exactly the 5 minute mark, meaning there was not a single second of delay in the stoppage time (which is unusual since most stoppage time has delays).

If it's 3-0 I can understand why they blow it off, but matches like yesterday have very inconsistent stoppage times. It's like they follow their own rules books and no one at FA cares, and it would be very easy to just create a standard for it.

Saw this just now. Who said it, Moyes at Man Utd or Hodgson at Liverpooll?

“I can guarantee that at the end of the season we won't be where we are now in the league.”

“No I did not need to lift my spirits after Newcastle – that raised my spirits. It just made me more determined to make sure we improve and get better.”

“Sitting in the chair for the first time felt odd. I did it myself with nobody looking. I thought I would have to see how it feels in case anybody thought I looked stupid.”

“No doubt if, by January, he hasn't succeeded in convincing me that he is the player we need then he will have to accept we will be in the transfer market for a centre-forward once again.”

“Having a game of this magnitude coming so early in my time here isn't exactly ideal. I'm hoping we'll give it our best shot and give a good account of ourselves. Then we'll see what the game brings.”

“We played quite well at times, got near the edge of the box quite regularly.”

“I think it’s important that I took the punches. I’ve taken the punches and I’m happy to do that. Not for a minute did I think this was going to be an easy job. There will be days like we had on Sunday and there might be more of them.”

“I’m at a club where people expect great things. When we’re nearer the middle of the table than the top, people will suggest, ‘If someone else was here it would be different’. I’m not sure that’s the case. A lot of intelligent people understand that.”

“Maybe what I have realised is there is plenty of work to do here but I am certainly very satisfied with the job I have done here and I don’t feel any dissatisfaction whatsoever.”

“The second half was as good as I have seen the team play under my management, that is for sure, I think it was a very good second-half performance. I am refusing to accept it was a bad team performance.”

“We played very well, if you look at the games against Swansea, Chelsea and today, we have played well.”

Wenger at Arsenal

Sigh indeed.

I would have preferred for him to come out when he was playing. it is nothing to be ashamed of and I want all gay players to feel they can come out and be who they are.

I just don't like it when sportsmen feel that is something they hide when they are playing and then feel the need to make a public announcement of it once they are retired.

Most closet homosexuals are pressured to hide it, or deny that part of themselves because it is 'wrong'. You are right that it isn't nothing to be ashamed of, but I wouldn't be surprised if an openly gay footballer is ostracised in those sea of jocks.

We can say easily that there's nothing wrong with being gay, because we are not pressured every single fucking day to be manly men fucking any pussies that you see.

I'm glad he actually come out and say it. It shouldn't be easy, and the most important reason for him to do this is to find other kindred spirits out there who are under pressure to hide their sexuality. To let them know that they aren't alone. That is worth the public announcement.

Hixx

Watching the highlights from last night - how the fuck does Moyes think the freekick for our first goal wasn't one? It was fucking naughty from Evans.

German Gaf, how are so many Koreans and Japanese players able to get visas to play so easily???

Well it seems easy compared to England where they still need to be a recognised international before they can get a work permit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom