• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

@LukeyKB87 4m
Meanwhile in Newcastle...
BdyXtu3CQAAAEDu.jpg

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

An offside player moved out of the way of the ball.

Of course he is interfering with play.

Trolling? This is clearly wrong. How is moving out of the way interfering? Without blocking the keeper?

We spend an hour on this every ref class, the ref here just got it wrong. They actually recently changed the language iirc to "making an attempt to play the ball." The defender here jumped out of the way!

So why does the linesman think he doesn't need to put his flag up if it's offside? Because he didn't - and then changed his mind afterwards. Terrible decision.

Yep. Put your flag up, or allow the goal

'I think there might have been an offside.'

That's the only thing he could have said to the ref in lieu of disallowing it immediately, and it isn't fucking good enough,

bjaelke

Correct decision. Read the rulebook, children.

The law change, which was presented to officials at a conference named ‘Realising Your Potential’, omits the ambiguous wording of ‘obstructing the opponent’s line of movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent’.

This part of the offside law, referring to what constitutes ‘interfering with an opponent’ had previously been left too open to the subjective interpretation of officials and has now been replaced by ‘challenging an opponent for the ball.’

Less uncertainty should be provided by the clarification of what the assistant referee must consider when judging whether a forward has ‘gained an advantage by being in an offside position’.
I did, and so should you.

Kyoufu

We were the better side in that half despite the shit start and the shit goal we conceded.

Football is dead.

FOOTBALL IS DEAD

3Sixty

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

interfering with play or
interfering with an opponent or
gaining an advantage by being in that position

----

The Newcastle player was interfering with an opponent and gaining an advantage for his team by being there.

As a goalkeeper i feel more of these offsides should be given.

Meier

I think every City fan can concede we were lucky there regardless of the possible interpretations of the rule.

Pardew getting caught by the mic there is about as close as we'll get to a pre-HT interview like they do in American football.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
"Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker 13m
Sorry but that is a crap decision. Wiped out a goal of the season contender."

Also. If the geordies are gonna riot I'd very much appreciate if they'd pop over to the uni and smash up some of the windows so I don't have to do my exam tomorrow.
He says, watching football the day before.

Only time I've seen that called was in the world cup when Italy played the US. I think McBride was called for it but he was a little more in front of the goalie. It was questionable then just cause Italy was involved.

The player was definatley not in Harts line of site for anyone saying that. He was clearly off to the left hand side in diving distance to Hart.

PaulLFC

Mark Halsey says right call. 'Moving towards the ball or interfering with an opponent - off side'

https://twitter.com/richardajkeys/status/422378967614898176

Everyone on the panel at Premier League Productions plus ex Ref, Dermot Gallagher, says the goal should have stood.

https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/422380118057975808

That's the problem right there.
Halsey needs to get his eyes checked. Nobody was doing either of the things he says should have disallowed the goal.

GorillaJu

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

interfering with play or

----

The Newcastle player was interfering with an opponent and gaining an advantage for his team by being there.

He didn't interfere with play at all, though. There was no interference, he didn't go for the ball, he wasn't blocking any defenders, nothing.

Walshy

interfering with play or

----

How was he interfering with play? If anyone is blocking the view of Hart it is Demichelis rather than Gouffran.

"Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker 13m
Sorry but that is a crap decision. Wiped out a goal of the season contender."

Also. If the geordies are gonna riot I'd very much appreciate if they'd pop over to the uni and smash up some of the windows so I don't have to do my exam tomorrow.
He says, watching football the day before.

:lol

Terrific decision, if only because it winds everyone up.

PaulLFC

So the ref says Gouffran interfered with play - except he was actually moving out of the way in order to not interfere, and wasn't in Hart's line of sight.

Incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom