• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the worst penalty shoot-out of the year. Mata to a sub-Sunderland club is almost sure.

Haha, had forgot about this match. Wow United missed 4 out of 5. Was it because Mannone was beasting or United players have just given up hope of playing for Moyes?

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a case like this where a director calls out the other team. Inter are a joke.

But I am sorry Juve, don't give Vucinic two days off because his confidence is low. Feels like a slap in the face to regular Joes

LegoArmo

With the signing of Mata and Fellaini, United have 5-6 (depending whose you read) Team of the Season 12/13 players in their team.

Something has gone very wrong.

Kagawa had no experience playing in the PL though. Doesn't mean Mata will be a success, mind, but I guess it's better than relying on Young, Nani or Valencia to conjure something up.

Ashely Young: 1 goal, 2 assists, 484 minutes played.

Juan Mata: 0 goals, 2 assists, 826 minutes played.

???????????????????

Clegg

Barkley as a Mata replacement is a bit of a downgrade. He has great potential, but is still a long way off reaching the level of excellence Mata displayed. Don't see where he'd fit either. Not going to displace Oscar or Hazard anytime soon and would be a waste out wide. Maybe Chelsea want to play him deeper, but that would blunt some of his beat abilities.

wedward

Barkley as a Mata replacement is a bit of a downgrade. He has great potential, but is still a long way off reaching the level of excellence Mata displayed. Don't see where he'd fit either. Not going to displace Oscar or Hazard anytime soon and would be a waste out wide. Maybe Chelsea want to play him deeper, but that would blunt some of his beat abilities.

Don't think it is a like for like replacement. Could see him playing in a deeper role alongside a real DM. Still can get forward from that position.

Clegg

Don't think it is a like for like replacement. Could see him playing in a deeper role alongside a real DM. Still can get forward from that position.
It's not a like for like replacement, but he'd be brought in to fill Mata's space so I think the comparisons are inevitable. Maybe he can play deeper, but right now he looks set as an attacking midfielder.

WTF i was thinking why are all of UnitedGAF chatting like Mata was on his way and then checked the beeb.

What are Chelsea playing at???

Way to go and inject some life into United. I can't wait for United to come back and overtake that joke of a club.

Portugeezer

WTF i was thinking why are all of UnitedGAF chatting like Mata was on his way and then checked the beeb.

Way to go and inject some life into United. I can't wait for United to come back and overtake that joke of a club.

They are thinking that United still have Arsenal and Man City to play. A quality player would help United there. Arsenal and Man City losing points helps Chelsea.

Clegg

Won't happen this season. Still too many deficiencies in the squad for us to be a major power again. The front three will win games against lesser teams, but midfield and defence is still too weak to face the better sides.Though I do hope that this signing galvanises the team like RVP's last season.

Draconian

You're going to be waiting at least a year then because it isn't happening anytime soon regardless of where Mata's playing.

They are thinking that United still have Arsenal and Man City to play. A quality player would help United there. Arsenal and Man City losing points helps Chelsea.

People keep mentioning that, but that is bad logic on Chelsea's part. They are not just strengthening United for this season, but for the next few seasons. Unites will end up top four again and challenging for the title next season. Chelsea better watch their back the rest of the season.

Jarnet87

Are you saying a center midfielder can get forward into the box and contribute goals? As a United fan I have never seen such a thing but it sounds wonderful.

Clegg

Maybe Mou just doesn't think Mata is a fit for his Chelsea team? Selling him for a very decent price will then give him the funds to sign the world class striker he's been wanting for months.

Danchi

Maybe You just doesn't think Mata is a fit for his Chelsea team? Selling him for a very decent price will then give him the funds to sign the world class striker he's been wanting for months.

But, unless he's looking to reinvest in the next ten days, why not wait until the Summer and look for offers abroad?

Even if they're for a little less... it's Chelsea.

edit: In regards to the WC, I think Mata is on the plane and that he'll make a couple of cameo appearances regardless of his form. Del Bosque picks his team on name.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Selling Mata to this United is a very Mourinho-esque move. A manager notorious for only thinking as far ahead as May.

Lightning

Banned
People keep mentioning that, but that is bad logic on Chelsea's part. They are not just strengthening United for this season, but for the next few seasons. Unites will end up top four again and challenging for the title next season. Chelsea better watch their back the rest of the season.
And then they are going to steal Salah from Liverpool's nose. Double blow from Chelsea to Liverpool.

Showaddy

Selling Mata to this United is a very Mourinho-esque move. A manager notorious for only thinking as far ahead as May.

Either that or Mourinho's convinced that if he can't get Mata playing well then Moyes never will and they've got £37 million for a player who will be nothing more than mediocre for the next 5 years...

Mou does have a slight ego after all.

Clegg

But, unless he's looking to reinvest in the next ten days, why not wait until the Summer and look for offers abroad?

Even if they're for a little less... it's Chelsea.

edit: In regards to the WC, I think Mata is on the plane and that he'll make a couple of cameo appearances regardless of his form. Del Bosque picks his team on name.
That's the thing I can't get my head around. Mata is class through and through. Seems stupid that they'd sell him to us. Only thing I can guess is that Mou doesn't see us as a threat this season and Mata just isn't in his plans. No point keeping an unhappy player.

Lightning

Banned
That's the thing I can't get my head around. Mata is class through and through. Seems stupid that they'd sell him to us. Only thing I can guess is that Mou doesn't see us as a threat this season and Mata just isn't in his plans. No point keeping an unhappy player.
I honestly think Mourinho just thinks nothing of Moyes and therefore United will not be able to surpass Chelsea regardless while Moyes is manager.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Even Gary Neville thinks buying Mata is a mistake. He's not your typical United player.
I honestly think Mourinho just thinks nothing of Moyes and therefore United will not be able to surpass Chelsea regardless while Moyes is manager.

They'll surpass him with Conte and Vidal next season.

Clegg

Either that or Mourinho's convinced that if he can't get Mata playing well then Moyes never will and they've got £37 million for a player who will be nothing more than mediocre for the next 5 years...

Mou does have a slight ego after all.

If Moyes continues to struggle then he'll get the sack. A 6 year contract won't save him if we continuously miss out on CL football. New manger comes in and who's to say he won't get Mata into great form.

I hope Moyes succeeds at United, but it's foolish to suggest we'll stick by him for 6 seasons if he fails to achieve results.

Showaddy

If Moyes continues to struggle then he'll get the sack. A 6 year contract won't save him if we continuously miss out on CL football. New manger comes in and who's to say he won't get Mata into great form.

I hope Moyes succeeds at United, but it's foolish to suggest we'll stick by him for 6 seasons if he fails to achieve results.

No doubt, people keep mentioning how Ferguson was given time but that was a long, long time ago and it's a different game now.

Really though I unless Chelsea are really serious about the fair play rules and they're planning to get another striker around the 50 million mark there really is no logic at all to this Mata business.

Lightning

Banned

I'm not meaning that but Moyes will get 2 seasons. Who knows how long Mou will be at Chelsea but I'm sure he feels confident in domination over Moyes during his time there.

subtles

Matic doesn't count as a major signing?

I mean off the back of Mata. Selling De Bruyne and Mata means that club is a few injuries away from a crisis of sorts. Why strengthen a rival if it could possibly put you in an embarrassing situation?

I'm hoping they have a big signing in the works, if they don't it would just be a disappointment imo.

Chelsea fan logic.

-.-

I don't even...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I mean off the back of Mata. Selling De Bruyne and Mata means that club is a few injuries away from a crisis of sorts. Why strengthen a rival if it could possibly put you in an embarrassing situation?

they aren't.
3AQmK.gif

GorillaJu

Chelsea signing a player for 20m they let go for free isn't a major signing it's a major embarrassment.

Anyway Subtle isn't a Chelsea fan anyway :lol

Barkley/Matic/Oscar is going to be Chelsea's midfield 3 next year.

Clegg

I'm not meaning that but Moyes will get 2 seasons. Who knows how long Mou will be at Chelsea but I'm sure he feels confident in domination over Moyes during his time there.
I've no doubt he'd feel confident of finishing higher than Moyes. United need a rebuild and that'll take a few years. And then there's the fact that he's just a better manager.

Still feel like this is a very shortsighted transfer on Mourinho's part.

Barzul

I'm hoping they have a big signing in the works, if they don't it would just be a disappointment imo.

-.-

I don't even...

I didn't check who posted and assumed it was a Chelsea fan. My bad and it was just banter.

valeo

An injury crisis? You realise you have an entire team on loan that could compete in the premier league, right? And you're still asking for new signings even though you're the only major club to make a big signing this window so far?

Chelsea. Typical.

You, along with Man City, are two of the most stocked clubs on the planet.

Portugeezer

Top 4 this season? I think Mata is over rated and his impact won't be that big. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Mata's sale will also strengthen Chelsea as they will spend that money on a player they will actually implement in their squad. Manchester United will be a rival next season most probably, but this will strengthen Chelsea too.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Gary Neville:

Does he fit in with what I would call the typical philosophy of Manchester United? I would say no,'

'Positives of signing a player like him are obvious-lift everyone (spark) creativity, knows PL, 4th place chances go up - fantastic player.'

'The first question, I think, is where are you going to play? Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie are up top if they are fit so where are you going to play him? Are you going to play him off the left or off the right?

'Maybe they have to change the philosophy and maybe that's what David Moyes is thinking. Maybe he wants to play narrow wide players and maybe a three in midfield.

'They would have to change to accommodate Juan Mata in the way they normally play. They normally play with wide players.

'He's obviously a fantastic football player, there's no doubt about that, but one thing it does do, I suppose, is that David Moyes, Manchester United and Ed Woodward need to sign a big player.

'They need to make a noise and if they get him in it will attract potentially other players - and they need three or four players.

'What it could be is the start of something to lead to other things, but typically I wouldn't say he fits.'

-

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL SubtleClouds <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom