• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

Top 4 this season? I think Mata is over rated and his impact won't be that big. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Mata's sale will also strengthen Chelsea as they will spend that money on a player they will actually implement in their squad. Manchester United will be a rival next season most probably, but this will strengthen Chelsea too.

I don't think Mata's in good form right now, but even if he was, I think United have way too many problems on the back end to be top 4 this season.

Just seen the united result hahahaha fuck

If we don't get mata we're totally fucked

Edit: also I don't understand this whole Chelsea have to sell mata to buy someone. Chelsea are owned by one of the richest men in the world, and Uefa are so corrupt they would never ban a big team like Chelsea from ffp. If Chelsea wanna buy someone then they'll buy them no matter what the cost plain and simple

Salazar

Beautiful transfer.

Chelsea fans persuading themselves it's a Mou masterstroke, or that it's no loss.
Liverpool and Arsenal fans interpreting it as a move to knock their title challenges off course.
United fans wibbling that "Mata alone won't fix us", as if this is our only transfer plan.

Right. lol.

Jarnet87

Signing Mata is a big move for Moyes. Even if he wasn't the most pressing need he's a top talent and it's been a knock on Moyes and Woodward that they can't attract top signings. It's not going to ease the pressure for him to succeed but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mirror: Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho 'wants to replace Man United-bound Juan Mata with Real Sociedad's Antoine Griezmann

LegoArmo

The 2 seasons before this, Mata was one of the best players in the world, definitely the best at his role in the Premier League and definitely the number 1 Spanish number 10.

Top 4 this season? I think Mata is over rated and his impact won't be that big. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Mata's sale will also strengthen Chelsea as they will spend that money on a player they will actually implement in their squad. Manchester United will be a rival next season most probably, but this will strengthen Chelsea too.

Haha, maybe I am overrating him. I think he was Chelsea's best and most consistent player for his two full seasons there. 30 assists is a crazy number. He was arguably one of the top 5 players in the league during those years.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Weren't we interested in Griezmann some time back? Everybody's copying Marry these days.
Yeah, but that didn't last long :/

Hoho can you imagine having him on the left and Mimmo on the right? Boner-inducing!

But that'll never happen because he costs more than 15 million.

jtb

Banned
the only thing more baffling than selling Mata to a rival (and Utd are rivals now, and certainly rivals for as long as Mata is still in his prime—so at least 5 years?) is Mou refusing to play him in the first place. Stupid decision on Chelsea's part, and it makes the margin of error practically nonexistent for everyone in the title/CL hunt other than City at this point.

Haha, maybe I am overrating him. I think he was Chelsea's best and most consistent player for his two full seasons there. 30 assists is a crazy number. He was arguably one of the top 5 players in the league during those years.

He was one of the top 5 players in the league! Suarez, Bale, RVP, Mata were the best four. Carrick as well last year probably.

the only thing more baffling than selling Mata to a rival (and Utd are rivals now, and certainly rivals for as long as Mata is still in his prime—so at least 5 years?) is Mou refusing to play him in the first place. Stupid decision on Chelsea's part, and it makes the margin of error practically nonexistent for everyone in the title/CL hunt other than City at this point.

People say he's done well without Mata, but they'd be doing even better if he could have figured out a way of doing well with him. He's still their best player imo

Meier

Griezmann is an incredible talent. Arsenal were apparently interested but pulled their patented offer half the player's value tactic. No way he goes for less than his release clause IMO. Sociedad will have no desire to sell.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lol, I was confused for a bit there thinking you were talking about our Mimmo. You can't have him back!

13criscito.JPG

We could use him too!

Salazar

BBC div

he is a fine adornment to United's squad rather than a solution to the most pressing problem.

Currently, we can't cross the ball. We just signed a world-class player who can.

I dunno how folks see that as a superficial, decorative transfer.

BBC div

Currently, we can't cross the ball. We just signed a world-class player who can.

I dunno how folks see that as a superficial, decorative transfer.

tbf the most pressing problem is controlling the middle of the pitch imo. Closely followed by bad wingers, but still.

Either way, when Mata is available and you need wide attackers and instant improvement, you fucking snap him up

jtb

Banned
People say he's done well without Mata, but they'd be doing even better if he could have figured out a way of doing well with him. He's still their best player imo

Agreed. I even think, pre-Mourinho freeze out, he would easily be in the conversation for best in the league too. Maybe not ahead of Rooney/RVP since quality strikers are a rarer commodity than 10s, but I would have put him ahead of Bale.

K1LLER7

If Moyes is still going to remain determined on playing everything towards the wings instead of through the middle, them Mata will be another Shinji.

I'm hoping the signing of Mata will lead towards a change of style, playing with narrow wingers as G.Nev states.

wedward

They are two points off the top. Hard to say it was a bad decision.

On paper the United team could be really good

De Gea
Rafael - Jones - Vidic - Evra (lol)
Carrick - Fellaini
Adnan - Rooney - Mata
RVP

With the 3 behind RVP really fluid. It's a good enough first team to get fourth place for sure.

Just read a guardian Totti article for the first time from September

www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/20/francesco-totti-roma-italy

Whoever wrote this is now my favourite sports journalist.

It is also worth noting that since the start of 2010-11, when Gareth Bale burst into Europe's wider consciousness, Totti's scoring and shot figures are almost identical to the Welshman's.

Opta's data shows they both have 38 league goals, although the Italian's shooting accuracy (52.1% compared with 50.88%) and shot-to-goals conversion rate (15.97% v 13.43%) are marginally better. Not bad for a man in his mid-30s.

Hahaha, Totti would easily be the best in the PL

I also had no idea only Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi have more goals and assists combined than Totti since 2006.

GOAT

valeo

tbf the most pressing problem is controlling the middle of the pitch imo. Closely followed by bad wingers, but still.

Either way, when Mata is available and you need wide attackers and instant improvement, you fucking snap him up

Yeah, i'd agree with that. Would've loved to see him at Arsenal even though we plainly don't need him. Wenger probably feels the same.

jtb

Banned
They are two points off the top. Hard to say it was a bad decision.

He's proven to be one of the best players in the league. Frankly, Mourinho wouldn't have to worry about their three attacking midfielders tracking back if their central midfield was more competent at doing its job. But instead of strengthening that, he went and bought Willian. Maybe that'll pay off in the long run, but I don't see why Willian was ever necessary when Mata had proven he was good.

It's hard for me to see Chelsea doing worse with Mata playing regularly, but who knows. At the same time, this Chelsea spine of players didn't win the league last season so maybe shifting away from being so reliant on Mata made the team better. I'm skeptical but it's certainly possible and at this point, completely impossible to prove either way.

I do know that I'm pretty horrified of the prospect of United having Mata. That seems like a move that could have major implications on Arsenal, not just this season but in the seasons to come, especially with so many resurgent clubs with top 4 plans.

K1LLER7

Carrick injured today too :(

Think Fellani's back though so would play Fletch and Fellani in midfield if Carricks still out for the next game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
.@Zabo

Give it up Zabster, we will NEVER win Coppa Italia, not even with Messi.

And you know why? Because Conte will never use him in it.

Fletcher was rubbish today but he has only just come back from AIDS
A true inspiration. The Lance Armstrong of football.

If Moyes is still going to remain determined on playing everything towards the wings instead of through the middle, them Mata will be another Shinji.

I'm hoping the signing of Mata will lead towards a change of style, playing with narrow wingers as G.Nev states.

The thing is, Mata isn't. Shinji can't handle the aggressive nature of BPL. That alone makes him better than Shinji for Man Utd.

tri_willy

Why would you be looking into news about a Liverpool player when you're a Chelsea fan?

Chelsea - Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Colonel Nasty, H13, WoodenLung, Fady K, Kaiden, Qindarka, DerZuhälter, Billy Big Bollocks, Dissonance, Draconian

Liverpool - Arnie, ATF487, bjaelke, bonesmccoy, CaramaC, Cerebral Assassin, danwarb, Dark Machine, Darth Sonik, DJmizuhara, elseanio, Feorax, Felipeezus, FuturusX, jamieson87, K444WSR, labadal, Lord Snow, BrentonRodgers, MarshMellow96, odd_morsel, operon, PaulLFC, PJX, Seep, severin, Shogun PaiN, Skoptsie, sohois, tri_willy, Vard, Yenrot, everthustodeadbeats, Sane_Man, PowerTaxi, SubtleClouds, Shagwell, mil6es, Dazzler, Xhenxhefil, Coldplay619, Commander Jameson, Walshy, Terrisus

pls understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom