• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timurid

Chelsea - Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Colonel Nasty, H13, WoodenLung, Fady K, Kaiden, Qindarka, DerZuhälter, Billy Big Bollocks, Dissonance, SubtleClouds, Draconian

Liverpool - Arnie, ATF487, bjaelke, bonesmccoy, CaramaC, Cerebral Assassin, danwarb, Dark Machine, Darth Sonik, DJmizuhara, elseanio, Feorax, Felipeezus, FuturusX, jamieson87, K444WSR, labadal, Lord Snow, BrentonRodgers, MarshMellow96, odd_morsel, operon, PaulLFC, PJX, Seep, severin, Shogun PaiN, Skoptsie, sohois, tri_willy, Vard, Yenrot, everthustodeadbeats, Sane_Man, PowerTaxi, Shagwell, mil6es, Dazzler, Xhenxhefil, Coldplay619, Commander Jameson, Walshy, Terrisus

pls understand

ok... We all know you support Chelsea.

arkon

Chelsea - Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Colonel Nasty, H13, WoodenLung, Fady K, Kaiden, Qindarka, DerZuhälter, Billy Big Bollocks, Dissonance, Draconian

Liverpool - Arnie, ATF487, bjaelke, bonesmccoy, CaramaC, Cerebral Assassin, danwarb, Dark Machine, Darth Sonik, DJmizuhara, elseanio, Feorax, Felipeezus, FuturusX, jamieson87, K444WSR, labadal, Lord Snow, BrentonRodgers, MarshMellow96, odd_morsel, operon, PaulLFC, PJX, Seep, severin, Shogun PaiN, Skoptsie, sohois, tri_willy, Vard, Yenrot, everthustodeadbeats, Sane_Man, PowerTaxi, SubtleClouds, Shagwell, mil6es, Dazzler, Xhenxhefil, Coldplay619, Commander Jameson, Walshy, Terrisus

pls understand

You're right. That needs updating. I'll alert Lambda.

qindarka

Banned
He's proven to be one of the best players in the league. Frankly, Mourinho wouldn't have to worry about their three attacking midfielders tracking back if their central midfield was more competent at doing its job. But instead of strengthening that, he went and bought Willian. Maybe that'll pay off in the long run, but I don't see why Willian was ever necessary when Mata had proven he was good.

It's hard for me to see Chelsea doing worse with Mata playing regularly, but who knows. At the same time, this Chelsea spine of players didn't win the league last season so maybe shifting away from being so reliant on Mata made the team better. I'm skeptical but it's certainly possible and at this point, completely impossible to prove either way.

I do know that I'm pretty horrified of the prospect of United having Mata. That seems like a move that could have major implications on Arsenal, not just this season but in the seasons to come, especially with so many resurgent clubs with top 4 plans.

Willian has been outperforming Mata this season given similar amounts of playing time. And yes, our problems in the centre of midfield are well documented, we did just buy Matic to hopefully resolve that.

Maybe it is due to other factors but the team, even without Mata, is better that it has been for more than 3 years, which admittedly isn't saying much.

And this move is as much down to Mata himself as it is down to Mourinho. Mata has been given chances, he has invariably been chosen to start the next game whenever he put in a good performance and has for the most part failed to deliver, this season. Rather than buckle down and try and regain his place, he has chosen to leave.

Salazar

Can't blame Moyes.

Players bottled it.

Aye.

P5Vobv5.jpg

Don't quite understand the "Adnan is a 10 - we're holding him back by playing him wide" stuff. Does he seem like his scope is limited by not being central ? Not to me.

GQman2121

Banned
I know a lot of numbers have been tossed about, but what is Pogba's value right now in the Italian media?

Is it really €40m+? I'm asking....

Barzul

Aye.

P5Vobv5.jpg

Don't quite understand the "Adnan is a 10 - we're holding him back by playing him wide" stuff. Does he seem like his scope is limited by not being central ? Not to me.

He isn't a no 10, not from what I've seen. He's more effective on the wing.

GorillaJu

Come on guys, you seriously think Dortmund are going to give you their best players if you throw a ragged corpse of a former Japanese superstar on their porch?

"Use Shinji as swap bait for Gundogan"

As if every club and player in Europe is waiting on your beckon call to please you and just can't wait to get fucked by you. Shinji's stock is as low as it gets. His value is well under 10m at this point and he'll have big club wages to dissuade buyers as well.

Dortmund were in the CL final last year. They don't want players who can't even get a game at a 7th place PL team.

--

I genuinely don't rate Pogba that highly. I think his value as an asset to Juve is much higher than his value as a footballer, if that makes sense.

Come on guys, you seriously think Dortmund are going to give you their best players if you throw a ragged corpse of a former Japanese superstar on their porch?

As if every club and player in Europe is waiting on your beckon call to please you and just can't wait to get fucked by you. Shinji's stock is as low as it gets. His value is well under 10m at this point and he'll have big club wages to dissuade buyers as well.

Dortmund were in the CL final last year. They don't want players who can't even get a game at a 7th place PL team.

I genuinely don't rate Pogba that highly. I think his value as an asset to Juve is much higher than his value as a footballer, if that makes sense.

And yet they wanted Ji Dong-Won, lol

Salazar

No.

But hey. Goobers said we had no chance at Mata. MOYES CAN'T SIGN GOOD PLAYERS. LEON OSMAN COME ON DOWN.

GHG

727228.gif

H13

Mata is leaving eh? I really hope he does not... But
Hmm... I hope it does not backfire us in a long run
If he does go, thanks for all the contribution he does to us at his time here for Chelsea.

Draconian

the only thing more baffling than selling Mata to a rival (and Utd are rivals now, and certainly rivals for as long as Mata is still in his prime—so at least 5 years?) is Mou refusing to play him in the first place. Stupid decision on Chelsea's part, and it makes the margin of error practically nonexistent for everyone in the title/CL hunt other than City at this point.

Again, Mou has tried playing him several times this season, and it just hasn't worked out. He's not refusing to play him. The other midfielders on the team have been consistently better than him this season.

nacimento

Maybe Mourinho just doesn't rate Mata that highly? It could be that Mata is benched because of that more than tactics; wouldn't be the first time that a manager doesn't rate a certain player for some reason.

So he might think that Mata is not such a huge gain for United and therefore can be sold.

Draconian

Maybe Mourinho just doesn't rate Mata that highly? It could be that Mata is benched because of that more than tactics; wouldn't be the first time that a manager doesn't rate a certain player for some reason.

So he might think that Mata is not such a huge gain for United and therefore can be sold.

We know that Mou does not guarantee anybody getting in the starting lineup and requires tracking back to defend, both of which are part of the problem here.

Shinji is still a quality player. The reasons he's shitting the bed with United is because United as a team have shit movement, and have a strategy to get it to the winger at every opportunity. He's not a guy that will create something out of nothing through a dribble, or some through ball, or create an opening for himself to shoot.

He likes to play 1-2s around the box which gets the defense to open up and then that allows him to pick a pass out, or give himself an opening to shoot.

Right now you can see him get the ball and then wait a couple of seconds to see what his options are. When he sees no players moving he will just give it back to the midfield.

United's best football played this season has involved him heavily. He will never fit United if Moyes doesn't get the team to play through the middle and to constantly move. If United don't change, he should be sold because he'll never make a positive impact.

Aye.

I always felt his best position was on the right wing. That's temporary though. I think his best position will eventually be behind the striker when he's more experienced and stronger. That's his favorite position and he has all the qualities to be one.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
OT: Holy boobs True Detective. And I'm not even a boobs man!

Ah, I'm still not feeling Rust! He's too campy. Can we replace him with agent Cooper?

Lightning

Banned
He's proven to be one of the best players in the league. Frankly, Mourinho wouldn't have to worry about their three attacking midfielders tracking back if their central midfield was more competent at doing its job. But instead of strengthening that, he went and bought Willian. Maybe that'll pay off in the long run, but I don't see why Willian was ever necessary when Mata had proven he was good.

It's hard for me to see Chelsea doing worse with Mata playing regularly, but who knows. At the same time, this Chelsea spine of players didn't win the league last season so maybe shifting away from being so reliant on Mata made the team better. I'm skeptical but it's certainly possible and at this point, completely impossible to prove either way.

I do know that I'm pretty horrified of the prospect of United having Mata. That seems like a move that could have major implications on Arsenal, not just this season but in the seasons to come, especially with so many resurgent clubs with top 4 plans.
United were always going to become stronger dude. They were always going to buy quality players, them getting Mata doesn't affect us anymore than it does the rest of the top teams.

Mata, Fabregas, Gundogan etc. they were trying for all these top players, some are going to stick. I would rather they get Mata than Fabregas.

Salazar

I am excited about Mata, United-GAF. PL-proven and a much-needed injection of creativity into our flaccid midfield and squad.

Chance-creation is a big deal, but it's just the fact that he is a technical beast. We talk a lot about needing physical dominance and punishingly ceaseless hassling and running in the middle—and we do need that—but general intelligence and deftness on the ball needs to go up just as much.

Also just happy because he's a good bloke. I'm fine with us signing a straight-going-to-hell hate-magnet motherfucker for CM.

Like Viva said, too, man knows how to dress.

GorillaJu

There's 0 to question about Mata. He's a class player who can do a job in multiple positions. You don't spend 40m on a one-trick pony (unless you're Arsenal).

GQman2121

Banned
I can't help but to think back to that Southampton's game now when Mata came off not long after halftime. He halfheartedly shook Oscar's hand as he made his way to the bench where he then lashed out at the idea of being replaced after just 52 minutes. He was visibly upset and I was upset for him too, as I thought he did well enough and looked up for it having started the previous 5 games in a row.

However, no more than 7 minutes after being replaced we were celebrating a goal. Ten minutes after that a second. Ten minutes after it's number 3. So I don't know, perhaps this is the best thing for all involved. Juan get's a fresh start to try and turn things around for United and we get a huge amount of cash to splash on someone that will absolutely be a handpicked Mou player.

pappe

On paper the United team could be really good

De Gea
Rafael - Jones - Vidic - Evra (lol)
Carrick - Fellaini
Adnan - Rooney - Mata
RVP

With the 3 behind RVP really fluid. It's a good enough first team to get fourth place for sure.
On Paper thats not a top 4 side. It can be a title winning one. It all comes down to the manager now. If Moyes continues to play Valencia and sticks to whipping in a cross after cross the signing of Mata will mean shit. Like others have said we need to increase the movement around the penalty box and play through the middle more. Shinji and Mata playing 1-2s through the middle can be nightmare for defenders. Dont think that will happen though.

I think Shinji will definitely be sold now. With Adnan and now Mata he will get even less play time.

Lightning

Banned
I can't help but think back to that Southampton's game now when Mata came off not long after halftime. He halfheartedly shook Oscar's hand as he made his way to the bench where he then lashed out at the idea of being replaced after just 52 minutes. He was visibly upset and I was upset for him too, as I thought he did well enough and looked up for it having started the previous 5 games in a row.

However, no more than 7 minutes after being replaced we were celebrating a goal. Ten minutes after that a second. Ten minutes after it's number 3. So I don't know, perhaps this is the best thing for all involved. Juan get's a fresh start to try and turn things around for United and we get a huge amount of cash to splash on someone that will absolutely be a handpicked Mou player.
That game was good fortune more than anything though. The first goal was pretty lucky after that Southampton went to sleep. That first goal is always the hardest to get.

bjaelke

fyTRW1K.jpg

Net income for the European clubs over the last fiscal year (€ / m). Liverpool, not surprisingly, dropped out of top 10.

West Ham though.

fyTRW1K.jpg

Net income for the European clubs over the last fiscal year (€ / m). Liverpool, not surprisingly, dropped out of top 10.

West Ham though.

PSG how??? They recently playes a friendly in Doha against RM. I am guessing Qatar pay them 100 million a friendly or something.

UEFA are a joke with FFP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom