• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintan

Bit of a non-sequitur here, guys, but I'm starting to think Phil Jones is the solution to United's midfield problems. What do you reckon?

Salazar

Bit of a non-sequitur here, guys, but I'm starting to think Phil Jones is the solution to United's midfield problems. What do you reckon?

SJzeVkI.gif

If Wooders turns on the afterburners and gets CM business done this window - damn.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Please be Mou trolling.

He is trolling, trolling everybody else in the league. By selling their best player to United he is making it harder for other teams to win the league whilst simultaneously mocking United for being a total irrelevance to Chelsea. It's Mou all over.

TeddyBoy

Fintanover said:

United play better when he's in midfield over Cleverly, but that isn't saying too much.

Carrick and Fletcher together are pretty good defensively but offer nothing going forward. At present they pass it out wide to Valencia and Januzaj who aren't that reliable (Valencia being terrible and Januzaj being too young).

Granted if you replace Valencia with Mata it will look far more dangerous.

Conversely, Januzaj is a great player for his age, but yesterday showed, he shouldn't have to play every game with the expectancy he must deliver or United will lose. Last season when Sterling started playing at the beginning he looked good and fresh but by Christmas he was burnt out and needed to be put on the bench for a while. Could the same thing be happening to Januzaj now?

What happens when Mata signs and instead of Valencia being benched it's Januzaj. We saw with Barkley that Moyes won't play youngsters unless he's certain they'll deliver and Januzaj did play through the middle yesterday.

Baki

He is trolling, trolling everybody else in the league. By selling their best player to United he is making it harder for other teams to win the league whilst simultaneously mocking United for being a total irrelevance to Chelsea. It's Mou all over.

It just seems so short sighted and it's not like Chelsea need to sell. Let alone the fact that there should be plenty of foreign interest.

Ushojax

It just seems so short sighted and it's not like Chelsea need to sell. Let alone the fact that there should be plenty of foreign interest.

Chelsea are the most short-sighted club in the history of football, they just spent £25m on a player they quietly released 3 years ago. They want to win this title, they don't give a shit about next season.

Baki

Chelsea are the most short-sighted club in the history of football, they just spent £25m on a player they quietly released 3 years ago. They want to win this title, they don't give a shit about next season.

Why couldn't they sell to us. Cunts.

TrueBlue

I've accepted now that Juan is probably going to go. Fair enough. Good luck to him, been fantastic for our club and has been a genuinely nice guy. Will be definitely missed.

Salazar

Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 12s
Balague also said Rooney's representatives had a habit of pushing for a transfer when things weren't going his way or he wanted more money.

Where would we be without insider Guillem

Ta, m8

Ushojax

Lol, that shooting technique is hilarious. I wonder what these guys are thinking when the shoot that penalty.

They're trying to be clever and curl it into the top corner, but that kind of floaty penalty needs nerves of steel. Best to just go low and hard inside the post.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wonder if Wellbeck knows how bad at shooting he is? I ask myself sometimes, is he even aware that he is a professional footballer who cant shoot?

Walshy

Mata is a good start on the huge rebuilding job that Moyes faces, however it remains seen whether he can get the best of him. This is a team which has gone from being Champions by 11 points last season to dropping 14 points behind the current leaders in just six months. It tells you that their problems run much deeper, the type that can’t be fixed by just one player.

The likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Everton can worry that suddenly United will spring ahead as a result of signing Mata, or you can just see them as a club that just 8 months ago finished a huge 28 points ahead of Liverpool, yet now trail them by 6 points (this is a team that has finished 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th in the last four seasons). This United squad isn’t a group of players that need a catalyst to spur them on as Catona and Ozil has done for teams in the past. This is a team that needs a whole new set of players. I see that at least five key members of that squad which will need replaced (Rooney, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand and Carrick) in the next few windows. That’s not even mentioning the underperforming players in the squad (Nani, Fellani etc), the squad players who are nowhere near good enough in a title winning squad in 2014 (Cleverley, Young etc). That’s not even mentioning on how he goes about replacing the likes of Giggs and Scholes within the squad.

There is no question on whether Mata will be a success at United, he will but I don’t think one signing stops the slide. Look at Liverpool signing Suarez and look how long it has taken us to compete for the top four. It takes some time for players signed in previous years to look settled and a few windows to really start to push on again. Why are United any different?

Short-term, however I see them picking up a lot of points if Mata hits the ground running. Out of the big seven teams, they have two away games and not to mention their impressive away record this season against the dross at the bottom half of the table. That's not even mentioning Rooney and RVP coming back soon.

Salazar

Nadal's hand looks fucking painful

the type that can’t be fixed by just one player.

Please Walshy, this is mind-bendingly obvious. Were someone mounting a straightfaced argument that Mata is a cure-all acquisition, we could have this discussion.

But we're clearly looking for more players. Considering the signing in isolation as fix/leave unfixed is Pleat/Hansen/Shearer/Redknapp Jr tier.

I don’t think one signing stops the slide

It's not meant to. Only on mufc facebook would that opinion genuinely thrive.

GorillaJu

United can finish in the top 4, especially with added talent like Mata. But when you're already behind, you depend more on slip ups from teams above than you do from your own results. Liverpool & Spurs have their fates in their own hands.

Honestly the thought of Mata playing first team football for a competitor scares me, I only take solace from the thought that he was really quite poor whenever he played for Chelsea this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom