• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

OXFORD City’s French keeper Victor Francoz is in the doghouse with his boss Mike Ford after injuring himself while trying to save a cat.

The 23-year-old, who was born near Lyon and made his City debut last September, suffered a bad calf wound after falling out of a tree as he tried to reach the stricken pet.

The 5ft 10in stopper has been vying for a place in the starting line-up with Mark Scott for the Skrill North strugglers this sea-son.

But his freak injury means that he now faces a spell on the sidelines.

And Ford is not impressed at the manner of losing his keeper.

“It’s ridiculous,” he said.

“I’ve not got any sympathy for him at all because he’s done it to himself.

“He fell out of a tree when he was trying to get a cat.

“He’s got a deep cut and unfortunately now we don’t have Victor because he’s gone back to France for a couple of weeks to have treatment.

“You just don’t get professional players climbing trees.”

lol

sohois

Some talk in French papers of Liverpool linked to Lavezzi (€20 millionish). That would be a nice substitute for missing out on Salah.

Salah is a good young prospect and would have added some extra depth but an attacker was hardly a necessary signing; Splashing the entire budget on Lavezzi would be a bit of a waste really

Hazard has changed the 17 in his twitter handle to 10.

Told you fuckers he was gonna get that number. He's told to Mata to do one and Moyes is taking him in.

Edit - oh apparently it always was 10. Sorry guys it's early.

Walshy

That just seems extremely unlikely. I seem to recall there was still some hope being held out for Mkhitaryan as well even when Dortmund had agreed a fee.
He was on talkSPORT this morning talking about him.

Rodgers, however, appeared to suggest his side are still in the running for Salah when he spoke on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show on Friday morning.

The Reds boss said: "I'm not sure whether that deal is definitely done yet or not.

"The young guy is a good player. We have tracked him for a number of months, the club has been watching him and I have been to watch him.

"It is one where the agent of the player and the clubs were talking but if the deal can't be done, the deal can't be done.

"I know the club has been working very hard to get players in. I'll leave that to them and see how they get on."

Rodgers insists he will not be too disappointed should Salah opt for Chelsea, however - as he has other targets in mind.

"He's a boy that is a talent. He is 21 years of age and people saw his qualities in the games against Chelsea and Tottenham in Europe, but you need to have that list because if it doesn't work out then you are hoping there are one or two others," he said.

But Rodgers will not do business this month for the sake of it, adding: "It is a very difficult market. It is hard to bring in players that can improve the team, especially in this window. I'd rather wait and look at our young players than bring in one or two squad players."

Seems to fit in with the story of us not paying their asking price - again.

Baki

Chelsea area acting the maggot over this deal.

Let him go you twats.

You guys should kissing the ground Mourinho walks on simply for the fact that things have gotten this far for Mata. Very lucky break for Moyes this is.

TeddyBoy

Some talk in French papers of Liverpool linked to Lavezzi (€20 millionish). That would be a nice substitute for missing out on Salah.

I know Rodger's appreciates his Chelsea and Mourinho roots, but we can't keep buying CAM when we have much bigger holes in the squad.

On the flip side Lavezzi would be a good upgrade on Sterling even if there's no chance in hell we'll sign him.

Arsenal's special media conference on Monday is to announce their new sponsorship deal with Puma.

ec8ef309-a66f-42eb-8430-55ee05b42273_500.jpg

They're all just best mates.

Baki

You should be on your knees kissing Mourinho's ring. You're getting one of the best players in the league.

...Seriously. Mourinho is basicly gifting them 4th place. Not that incompetent numpty Moyes. I mean, it's not like Chelsea can't afford not to sell lmao

Clegg

You guys should kissing the ground Mourinho walks on simply for the fact that things have gotten this far for Mata. Very lucky break for Moyes this is.

You should be on your knees kissing Mourinho's ring. You're getting one of the best players in the league.
This should've been completed yesterday, but Chelsea are stalling. It should be no surprise that frustration abounds.

'The Daily Telegraph are reporting that Arsenal will make a 'last-ditch attempt' to sign Julian Draxler. But they want £37m and Arsenal want to pay £28m over the next four years.'

Ayre, is that you?

Mastadon

Banned
Oxford Mail said:
Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them.

Having spent a few hours in the company of Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers on Friday afternoon, I would say that quote describes the man very well. I was up at the Melwood, Liverpool’s training ground, on a social visit and got to catch up with some old friends. Some of the club’s biggest names were there, like John Barnes, Mike Marsh and Michael Thomas, plus Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and Jamie Carragher.

But it was the time I spent with the Liverpool manager that made my day.

A long-time admirer of Brendan since his time at my old club Chelsea, I came away even more impressed with the man. Our initial conversation started with me telling him how gutted I was that our paths didn’t cross back in 2009. Reading had just released me when Brendan took over as their manager from Watford. He felt the same as me and said he could have done with my ability and experience at the time he took over. We were in a small group, so the conversation wasn’t all about me, it moved on different subjects, but mainly stayed on football.

Straightaway, he was very open with his answers and chat, despite the fact he was with people he had only just met.

To listen to him talk and answer questions on subjects that were quite private was fascinating. He had grown men hanging on to his every word. Maybe this is the first test of my journalism career, because some of the stories he told would make great headlines, but I wouldn’t and couldn’t betray the trust he showed by being so open in my company. I found myself thinking how I would have loved to have worked and played for this man.

He spoke about his management style and it ticked every box for me. Honesty and respect are some of his core values when it comes to man management. As simple as it sounds, they are two qualities that not all managers have shown. Brendan told us he likes to get to know his players and find out what makes them tick. One of his priorities is searching beyond the athlete and finding out about the man. It all seemed so refreshing to hear. We were invited into his office – another show of trust by him, as it was something he didn’t have to do.

He really opened up in there, and went on to explain his plan for the great club that is Liverpool. He spoke of the ethos and the expectations that are demanded from each and every person that wears that badge. And not just from the players, his staff also have a responsibility in their role. At 40 years old (two years older than me), this young manager has a vision, which he had when he first went into coaching 15 or so years ago. He is now restoring pride into Liverpool FC, creating a culture and doing it his way.

I sat in his office and thought this is a very special guy.

I hope his success this season continues and it isn't long before he is winning silverware and etching his name alongside some of the great Liverpool managers before him.

I wish Brendan was my dad.

GorillaJu

He was on talkSPORT this morning talking about him.

Seems to fit in with the story of us not paying their asking price - again.

Or the story of a club asking too much for a player?

Overpaying for players is something you do when "money" is a joke concept. We aren't Manchester City, or PSG or whatever.

You may want to overpay once or twice and just pay what the club is asking, but then what if the player doesn't work out? And how many times are you going to get bent over before you get a transfer that works out?

Man Utd are overpaying for Mata because they're desperate for a lift. Chelsea will overpay for Salah because their business model hinges as much on crippling other clubs as much as it does on winning their own matches. We're seeing the effects of what it looks like when Brendan's puzzle slowly fills in.

I don't buy into the narrative that the owners aren't supporting the club or Rodgers or whatever. The owners are supporting the club in a measured and strategic way.

Baki

Overpaying for players is something you do when "money" is a joke concept. We aren't Manchester City, or PSG or whatever.

You may want to overpay once or twice and just pay what the club is asking, but then what if the player doesn't work out? And how many times are you going to get bent over before you get a transfer that works out?

Man Utd are overpaying for Mata because they're desperate for a lift. Chelsea will overpay for Salah because their business model hinges as much on crippling other clubs as much as it does on winning their own matches. We're seeing the effects of what it looks like when Brendan's puzzle slowly fills in.

I don't buy into the narrative that the owners aren't supporting the club or Rodgers or whatever. The owners are supporting the club in a measured and strategic way.

£37m is a bargain for Mata. If it was £50m then I would say that they are overpaying.

GHG

Gold Member
The window is suddenly hotting up. Have a feeling some crazy shits gonna go down over the next 7 days.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

How much do they lose out on if not willing to overpay ends up costing them a Champions League place and the potential Suarez drama?

TeddyBoy

I think it's more to do with the post on RAWK saying that Ayre went back on his word and offered far less than he said he would win Basel. I don't like it when Levy makes cheeky bids for players in the hope of getting a bargain and I certainly don't like it when Ayre does it. If we weren't interested at €12m then we should of just left the transfer and focused on someone else.

Salazar

Whatever happens, I'll never forget the pissant whining from Wenger.

He carries on about mental toughness, but Manchester United paying Chelsea a fair price for Juan Mata during a transfer window is "UNFAIR"

is this because of the photo of Hulk landing at Luton airport? I await the bi-annual rumours of Hulk to Chelsea.

Yeah. Zenit player have 3 days off between our training camps. And he's there in the picture with another Zenit player (Luis Neto). Common sense and logic don't matter to the twitter denizens apparently though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom