• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

simples

Banned
pogba come home

big bad fergies gone, moyes will love you long

Y8XEt2G.jpg

Have I missed something? Why are Vidal and Pogba being linked so often to other clubs, I know they are good but blimey I'm starting to think they ain't gonna be at Juve next season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Have I missed something? Why are Vidal and Pogba being linked so often to other clubs, I know they are good but blimey I'm starting to think they ain't gonna be at Juve next season.

they're unhappy winning titles and being treated like Gods in Torino
8ebgUfU.gif

In one and a half seasons, Liverpool's third choice strikers have scored 1 league goal between them :s

Obviously Aspas hasn't had that much gametime, but still, pretty bad.

L1NETT

I can't believe anyone who's already played Tomb Raider is willing to shell out $60 to play it again

No Hitch you don't understand. It's pweeettyyyy now

All the best looking games are fun. Look at last year

Ryse
Killzone
BF4
Crysis 3

hang on

---

That gif is uber tier. Great stuff.

simples

Banned
No Hitch you don't understand. It's pweeettyyyy now

All the best looking games are fun. Look at last year

Ryse
Killzone
BF4
Crysis 3

hang on

---

That gif is uber tier. Great stuff.

playing killzone sf gave me diarrhea

worthless piece of shit series

Great article about transfer shenanigans by Honigstein:

Decoding the language of the transfer window

foreigners, fancy
Ask yourself why there are so many foreign players in the Premier League (and indeed in all top leagues). Are the natives just not good enough? Or do the vast sums of money available attract top international talent and it’s all merely a reflection of a globalised search for talent?

All these reasons do apply, but there's another one that's rarely ever mentioned in polite company: signing fancy foreigners is a great way to make a little money on the side. Whether it's $2 million, $3 million or $5 million: Who really knows what an Ecuadorian winger is objectively worth, and who cares?

Exotic deals with added layers of inscrutability -- i.e. third party ownership -- provide the perfect vehicle for kick-backs. And what's more, they come with a ready-made excuse. If the player in question doesn't perform, most fans will question his application and willingness to adapt rather than the true reasons behind his acquisition.

forced divorce, a
A forced divorce stands for the pressure that is sometimes put on young players to change their agents just before they sign their first big deal with a wealthy club. You might also call it a "shotgun wedding."

At the very least, it's an abuse of power from the buying club -- a favour to a friendly agent and ensure control over the player, for example -- and at worst, it's another wicked way to make sure that the cash flow (see below) finds its way to the "right" people.

Bebe?

cash flow, the
Supporters like to think that all things being equal, a player will make a rational choice about his destination. But more often than not, the choice isn't really his to make -- the cash flow decides for him.

A classic case involves a young international player who had plenty of offers after shining in a World Cup. His club wanted to sell to an English club due to very close connections -- read: common business interests -- between the club officials on both sides. But his agent wasn't interested. He knew he'd be cut out of that deal, and so the player was moved to a different club in a different league instead. He didn't really care, as his wages would have been same.

This happens much more often than people imagine. (And sometimes, players are not even informed of other offers by their agents.)

second man, the
Sometimes clubs buy players whose abilities are significantly below those of the rest of the squad. These guys are advertised as "talents," "prospects" or "squad players," but that's not the whole truth.

I know of at least two players who were only signed as an excuse to pay an agent a second commission. In one particular case, an agent had to split the fee for renewing a German international's contract with the player's father. By way of compensation, the club in question agreed to sign a cheap, low-profile player on a small salary.

The second man will effectively sit out his contract or only make the odd substitute appearance in a friendly. Like a lot of things going on in football, this sounds incredible but is actually fairly common practice.

Frightening.

Oxx

Hopefully Sunderland knackered themselves out in the League Cup. And they partied too hard afterwards.

Go Harriers.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 1m

#Arsenal team: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Gnabry, Podolski, Bendtner #AFCvCCFC

Very good team. Let's crush these fools Mesut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom