• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

So where does Mata play if Rooney stays? Moyes is gonna need to have a masterstroke to get the best out of them as neither are as effective out wide as they are through the middle.

LegoArmo

Funny thing is, he very well could end up United's all time top scorer. But when he retires, many might not consider him a United legend.

Shame, all he had to do was keep his head down, keep his mouth shut and play and he'd still be considered a hero.

jtb

Banned
Rooney is a quality player and all, but doesn't warrant 300k at all with his attitude towards the club.

His attitude didn't warrant that first massive contract, but he got it anyways. Hell, he got it because of that attitude, rather than in spite of it.

Mata needs to be given the number 7 shirt. Adds extra spice to the Manchester derby.

JM7 vs JM7. Mouthwatering prospect.

That's Adnan's shirt. Januzaj has a 100% cup final win rate in that shirt. He won against City's Elite Development Squad.

itsgiMqYzAXNc.gif

Scum

So where does Mata play if Rooney stays? Moyes is gonna need to have a masterstroke to get the best out of them as neither are as effective out wide as they are through the middle.
Cleff, come on. You already know the answer to this one.

wedward

Rooney is a quality player and all, but doesn't warrant 300k at all with his attitude towards the club.

What other options do you guys have though?

You can't sell him. RVP is to unreliable and there aren't enough world class strikers available.

I sympathize with Man U fans because I get why they are tired of him and want him gone.

simples

Banned
Seriously, this is the question I have been asking. Its all fine and good wanting him to leave but who exactly can we realistically replace him with? This seems to be a dearth of top quality strikers available at the moment.

you dont have to spend like for like. there are other teams in the world who are successful, more successful than united without rooney playing for them

look at the players we missed out over the summers, Lucas moura, Eden Hazard, thiago and then we put in joke undervalued bids for bale and fabrecunt. we miss out on those players by a few million and then turn around feed 19 million a year to that fat bastard.

you dont think those players mentioned combined couldnt fill rooney's void? absolute rubbish how this fucker is being put on a pedestal when players like van nistelrooy, Stam, keane, ince, beckham were kicked to the curb the second they were trying to be bigger than the club

LegoArmo

No team has been more successful than United in the Premier League with Rooney. If you all want to pretend he wasn't a huge part of that domination, then fair enough.

Cavani, Suarez, and Aguero are the only strikers I'd swap Rooney for, and I think you can see the problem United would have signing a couple of them.

you dont have to spend like for like. there are other teams in the world who are successful, more successful than united without rooney playing for them

look at the players we missed out over the summers, Lucas moura, Eden Hazard, thiago and then we put in joke undervalued bids for bale and fabrecunt. we miss out on those players by a few million and then turn around feed 19 million a year to that fat bastard.

you dont think those players mentioned combined couldnt fill rooney's void? absolute rubbish how this fucker is being put on a pedestal when players like van nistelrooy, Stam, keane, ince, beckham were kicked to the curb the second they were trying to be bigger than the club

I'm pretty sure they were just scared of Stam. Can't blame them though.

No team has been more successful than United in the Premier League with Rooney. If you all want to pretend he wasn't a huge part of that domination, then fair enough.

Cavani, Suarez, and Aguero are the only strikers I'd swap Rooney for, and I think you can see the problem United would have signing a couple of them.

Zlatan?

wedward

Obvious answer seems to be play 4-2-3-1

---------------RVP
Januzaj--Rooney--Mata
-------Fellaini-Carrick

Januzaj and Mata cutting in from the wings.

That's a damn good attack.

pappe

Actually Rooneys biggest and most important asset is his flexibility. As in the number of positions he can play in. None of the players mentioned can provide us with that. But having said that we now have Mata as our go to no. 10 if we buy a top striker say Cavani then yes I wouldnt mind seeing him leave. But what are the chances of us being able to attract a talent of that level without UCL whih is a very real possibility?

Showaddy

As disgusting as I think Rooney earning 300k a week is, he's already bleeding Utd for 250k a week. Bearing in mind Utd's current situation an extra 2.4 million a year probably isn't that big a deal.

scently

Read my post again. I was talking about him as a striker, because even without his other qualities as a player, he is still a top class finisher. The two seasons in which he was our main man up front, he hit around 35 goals in them.

I know Rooney can be replaced, any player can be, but there is a dearth of top class strikers atm.

Actually Rooneys biggest and most important asset is his flexibility. As in the number of positions he can play in. None of the players mentioned can provide us with that. But having said that we now have Mata as our go to no. 10 if we buy a top striker say Cavani then yes I wouldnt mind seeing him leave. But what are the chances of us being able to attract a talent of that level without UCL whih is a very real possibility?

Rooney will only play as a CAM or as the top striker. His flexibility pisses him off.

Meier

Ronaldo earns £288,000 a week.

Not even close. Ronaldo is making €21m a year POST-tax now which would mean he's being paid over €30m a year pre-tax. This means he is being paid about £25m a year pre-tax which is about £481k per week. As an FYI, that's £17.5m/£337k post tax.. but this figure is never given in the PL). I think Ronaldo's pre-tax number is probably somewhere around €30.9m but I just went with €30m for the calculation to make things easier.

Clegg

Obvious answer seems to be play 4-2-3-1

---------------RVP
Januzaj--Rooney--Mata
-------Fellaini-Carrick

Januzaj and Mata cutting in from the wings.

That's a damn good attack.
That's what I was thinking, but from what we've seen from Moyes, he hasn't shown the tactical ability to successfully implement this system at United. Maybe he's been hampered by the poor quality of players to choose from, but I still have some worries. But if he could get all three switching positions with each other during the game than we could see some very good football.

And for that formation to work we'd need a quality cm/dm to hold the midfield together. We currently lack that.

Jarnet87

Why couldn't Sir Alex have just bought a quality midfielder or two instead of van Persie. I'd argue with how crap the league was last year had we fixed that problem we wouldn't of needed RVP to rescue us. I way prefer Rooney up front as a striker.

LegoArmo

Not to mention, Rooney is one of the only players playing this season who's looked like he gives a fuck.

Fat, greedy, prick, whatever, United can afford it.

Kikarian

What other options do you guys have though?

You can't sell him. RVP is to unreliable and there aren't enough world class strikers available.

I sympathize with Man U fans because I get why they are tired of him and want him gone.
We could sell him. It's the factor of who get in too replace in.

wedward

That's what I was thinking, but from what we've seen from Moyes, he hasn't shown the tactical ability to successfully implement this system at United. Maybe he's been hampered by the poor quality of players to choose from, but I still have some worries.

If one fullback is going to get forward to overlap (Raphael), the other needs to be a pretty good defender(Evra) and be able to get back and support the CB's.

Really need a Evra replacement.

Rooney won't play there.

Yes he will. He played there last year and this year. Where does he think he will be playing?

We could sell him. It's the factor of who get in too replace in.

In your current position you can't sell him unless you have a replacement lined-up.

subtles

I wonder if the Rooney that wanted to leave the strongest club in England so many times would stay long term if United keep struggling (regardless of the money he would be paid). I think he'll just bring more drama down the road.

It's amazing though how Arsenal are at the top of the table despite losing RVP. If rebuilding is about letting go of the past it's best Rooney leaves this summer imo, he's been far too disrespectful.

Timurid

You guys are buffoons for even mentioning Cavani or Zlatan leaving PSG anytime soon especially to Manchester fucking United out of all clubs. :lol

United can have Lavezzi for a decent fee.

The good thing about Mata is that it might motivate Moyes to start playing better football. Better football will improve RVP, Januzaj, and Shinji (if he stays). I fail to see how we can get the best out of Mata if the team continues to play the same shit style of football currently. No movement means we can't exploit Mata's vision and passing.

He'll be similar to Shinji. The only difference is that even when the football is shit, he can provide that individual piece of magic to win a game which Shinji can't do.

You guys are buffoons for even mentioning Cavani or Zlatan leaving PSG anytime soon especially to Manchester fucking United out of all clubs. :lol

United can have Lavezzi for a decent fee.

Well he was just talking about better strikers than Rooney and I mentioned Zlatan. Don't see him leaving Paris, just think he's a better striker than Rooney is.

scently

Holy shit dude, you just seem to see this issue exactly as I see them. In the ten yrs with us, his stats are up there.

Economically, it is much better to increase his salary than it is to sell him and go after these players who will cost a fortune, and that's not taking into account that noneof them are available for sale.

LegoArmo

I don't think Rooney could be replaced directly. Indirectly, you'd need two of the second tier strikers below the ones I mentioned, and a great winger. It wouldn't be cheap.

Can RvP really be relied on at all now?

Elchele

Don't see how pushing salaries so high is going to work for most clubs in the near future. Clubs should draw a line and show players the exit door if they ask for irrational salaries.

I actually think Rooney is somewhat underrated by Manchester United-GAF, he's easily your best player and one of the best (top5) in Premier League. He's vital for your team, but even so I wouldn't want to extend such player if he's asking for that kind of money. I would rather sell him and use the transfer fee + salary money to sign 2-3 great young players.

I was making a rant yesterday when I discovered Götze is making €7M per year at Bayern. And now I read this, unbelievable.

I don't think Rooney could be replaced directly. Indirectly, you'd need two of the second tier strikers below the ones I mentioned, and a great winger. It wouldn't be cheap.

Can RvP really be relied on at all now?

It would be a big gamble to assume his fitness record will remain reliable as he gets older. At least Roon is the right side of 30 and could play with Mata behind him (which will probably be pretty brutal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom