• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batigol

Banned
The silver lining with the draw is that City have a cluster of tough games they'll have to prepare for in short order. Practically home all month though. :S

neBfRco.jpg

"No problem. If you want to be the best then you have to play the best, so it's good for us. One team is the end product. One team needs to improve and has a long way to go."

Mou wasting no time....

3 days between Chelsea and Barca. That's crazy

jtb

Banned
I've never seen someone invalidate Liverpool as much as him, he's worse than Everton and Utd fans from gaf combined.

Liverpool have a terrible record against Arsenal over the past few years. I could see Liverpool getting a result if Arsenal were bogged down with midweek fixtures but there will be a week of rest before the game, so it should be a rested, full strength Liverpool side against a rested, full strength Arsenal side. and Arsenal have the better team so I expect them to win.

Barzul

FA Cup is our best chance of a trophy this season. I say we put a bigger focus on it over the CL. If we somehow beat Bayern over 2 legs even better. Good thing we're getting Ramsey and Arteta back soon, they need to hit the ground running.

Lightning

Banned
Really, all the fixtures between now and the second Bayern game (not including the CL), we can, should, and will win. We might drop points against United because the team has a mental block against them, but that's about it. Spurs, Chelsea, City, Everton—those will be trickier, no doubt, but if we've somehow managed to stay alive in the CL, that'll be a huge momentum boost. And if we're not, then we'll have a week of rest to prepare for each of those games and while I see us dropping points, I can't see us not getting a few results along the way also.
On the positive side only Walcott long term injury we have everyone back now so we will have enough players too be able to rotate.

I agree with your assessment too that until the Spurs game we should win most, if not all, of those games. The Bayern games don't count as anything in those games is a bonus I don't care if we go out. I want to beat Liverpool in the FA cup game though.

TeddyBoy

Liverpool have a terrible record against Arsenal over the past few years. I could see Liverpool getting a result if Arsenal were bogged down with midweek fixtures but there will be a week of rest before the game, so it should be a rested, full strength Liverpool side against a rested, full strength Arsenal side. and Arsenal have the better team so I expect them to win.

I added the dates to the fixture list, you will not be able to rest.

Liverpool (a) 8/2
Man U (h) 12/2
Liverpool (h) 15/2
Bayern (h) 19/2
S'land (h) 22/2
Stoke (a) 1/3
Swansea (h) 8/3
Bayern (a) 11/3
Spurs (a) 15/3
Chelsea (a) 22/3
Man City (h) 29/3
Everton (a) 5/4

TeegsD

I went the rest of the day thinking that Sporting had made it to the semis of the damn Portuguese mickey mouse cup only to find out that Porto did not only tie the game up, they were awarded a penalty in the last minute of injury time...

This is on top of their game conveniently starting delayed instead of at the same time as ours. Fuck it, I hope Benfica wreck 'em

jtb

Banned

I meant rest before the match at Anfield, since the Crystal Palace match is 6 days before. As for the rest of those fixtures, there's a week between most of them except for when the CL gets involved.

I guess the bottom line is the worst possible scenario is fucking replays in the cup. That will make that fixture list even more hellish than it already it is.

TeddyBoy

I meant rest before the match at Anfield, since the Crystal Palace match is 6 days before. As for the rest of those fixtures, there's a week between most of them except for when the CL gets involved.

I guess the bottom line is the worst possible scenario is fucking replays in the cup. That will make that fixture list even more hellish than it already it is.

Oh, yeah both teams will be rested for the premier league. It should be a good game for both sides.

He;s talking about Liverpool vs Arsenal

We'll just have to beat Arsenal to show them we're no push overs ;)

Elchele

They're both average, doesn't really mata which one is better.

I can't see Mandzukic ending up in Dortmund. Maybe he'll join his pal Olic at Wolfsburg.

I can't think of a better traditional/old-school striker, he's a fighter, amazing with headers and his ability to defend/press is amazing.
Better than Giroud, Benzema, Llorente, etc. It would be absurd to put him on the same level as Giroud.

Of course he's not on the same level as strikers like Lewa, Falcao, RvP, etc.

I went the rest of the day thinking that Sporting had made it to the semis of the damn Portuguese mickey mouse cup only to find out that Porto did not only tie the game up, they were awarded a penalty in the last minute of injury time...

This is on top of their game conveniently starting delayed instead of at the same time as ours. Fuck it, I hope Benfica wreck 'em

i always said it's sad the amount of energy Sporting wastes hating on Benfica when the true enemy of the sport is up north.

Lightning

Banned
Aside from Walcott all our players are back and Liverpool play the exact same number of games as us aside from the Bayern games which come after the Arsenal/Liverpool matches.

So while we won't have a rest neither will anyone else.

People talk about fixture congestion far too much. Very rarely do I watch a game and think 'they'd probably be doing much better if they hadn't played 3 days ago'

Barzul

Centre back too. Great technique.

I added the results.

You have an amazing sense of fantasy, that you would think we'd lose and draw vs. L'Pool. Those are two victories, Everton is a victory, United at home is a victory with their lethargic performances this season. Chelsea can go either way, but we'll probably lose that one. Man City at home is a victory. Bayern home and away, I'm not even going to try and guess those. You seriously think we're going to lose to Spurs? We have the best defense in the league ffs. And we've beat Spurs both times we've played this season, what is suddenly going to make them better?

Yen

That fixture list will look even crazier with the next rounds of the FA Cup added (don't think you need to consider the next round of the CL).

LegoArmo

You have an amazing sense of fantasy, that you would think we'd lose and draw vs. L'Pool. Those are two victories, Everton is a victory, United at home is a victory with their lethargic performances this season. Chelsea can go either way, but we'll probably lose that one. Man City at home is a victory. Bayern home and away, I'm not even going to try and guess those. You seriously think we're going to lose to Spurs? We have the best defense in the league ffs. And we've beat Spurs both times we've played this season, what is suddenly going to make them better?

Not been impressed with your performances against teams higher than 7th this season. Prove me wrong.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
People talk about fixture congestion far too much. Very rarely do I watch a game and think 'they'd probably be doing much better if they hadn't played 3 days ago'

February/March is where it starts to show, that's what happened to us last season. Everything can be going well but if you have to go to extra time or play away in Europe, it can all start to catch up with you, especially if the squad is thin. The teams that have the best points tally from the run-in are normally the ones without cup distractions.

You seriously think we're going to lose to Spurs?

The last 2 seasons you have beat us at the Emirates and lost at White Hart Lane. In fact I don't think you've won there in the league for at least half a decade.

jtb

Banned

imo, it's not too big of a deal when it's a one-off midweek game, players can usually handle playing 3 games in the span of 8 days or so. it's only a problem when it's the same players playing every three days for months on end—in the even that they don't get even a little tired, they'll just destroy their hamstring or something and lead to an injury crisis.

Barzul

Not been impressed with your performances against teams higher than 7th this season. Prove me wrong.

We beat Liverool, beat Spurs twice, Drew at home to Everton, Lost away to City and United, not exactly disastrous results. We're probably in the top 3 teams in terms of results vs top 7.

February/March is where it starts to show, that's what happened to us last season. Everything can be going well but if you have to go to extra time or play away in Europe, it can all start to catch up with you, especially if the squad is thin. The teams that have the best points tally from the run-in are normally the ones without cup distractions.

Games around European fixtures is where it shows imo, and a disbalance in home/away games

The teams that are good at exploiting tiredness in general are the ones who also suffer similar congestion

jtb

Banned
Fuck off.

chill lol. did you like Homeland S3?

Liverpool, Spurs, Napoli, Dortmund are all decent teams. Need to be more consistent but we've solved the defensive lapses for the most part, so while we won't be rampaging through the league, at least we won't be throwing away points for fun the way we would the past... I dunno... eight seasons or so.

only game against top 7 side that we are guaranteed to lose, imo, is Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Mou will continue tormenting Wenger. the rest are all winnable. (not saying we should be favorites for all of them, but we're certainly capable of picking up a few results along the way)

pulga

Banned
Can't wait to see the Arsenal crash and burn. It'll be glorious.

Pro-tip: you only get to be arrogant when you've got the silverware to back it up

LegoArmo

We beat Liverool, beat Spurs twice, Drew at home to Everton, Lost away to City and United, not exactly disastrous results. We're probably in the top 3 teams in terms of results vs top 7.

Spurs are in a great run of form, much improved. You drew at home to Everton, but I think they had the better of it, so I have them to win at home. City destroyed you, and will do so again. You have a mental block against United.

Lots of dropped points there. I'll admit to taking the piss a bit with the Liverpool results.

Why because I think we'll beat Liverpool home and away? Besides United and Spurs lol, which other top 7 team has Liverpool beaten this season?

Because you seem think you'll beat everyone but Bayern, with no regard for home advantage

You're genuinely setting yourself up for a fall.

City title winners pls

Barzul

Spurs are in a great run of form, much improved. You drew at home to Everton, but I think they had the better of it, so I have them to win at home. City destroyed you, and will do so again. You have a mental block against United.

Lots of dropped points there. I'll admit to taking the piss a bit with the Liverpool results.

City won that game mostly because of the defensive change that happened with Vermaelen coming in for Koscielny. I'm almost certain the result wouldn't have looked so one sided with him on the pitch. This City team isn't radically different from the one we beat at home last season. City are terrible at avoiding conceding goals, we just need a composed defense and they'll lose. What's all this crap about a mental block? If we lose to this lethargic United team at home I'll use an RVP avatar for rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom