• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

getting rid of Podolski this window would be suicidal, given Walcott's injury and the mere existence of Bendtner

if anything, bringing in yet another attacking midfielder might force Wenger to play him up top a little more often

When was the last time a deal like that actually happened? The papers always talk about player swaps, but I can't think of a single high profile deal that has happened.

Kikarian

Guardian says Moyes shared his transfer plans with Rooney and that's what may convince him to stay.
An absolute joke. We're having to tell a player who we're buying to convince him to stay.

Rooney isn't Manchester United. We don't have to revolve the club around him.

Fergie

Banned
Guardian says we were offered Ozil in the first week of the transfer market but turned him down because Moyes wanted a better idea of the players he currently had at his disposal.

Daniel Taylor also says we're unlikely to sign anyone else thus transfer window as Shaw prefers a move to Chelsea and United's scouts were left "confused" as to whether on not Guarin was any good.
:lol

Lightning

Banned
getting rid of Podolski this window would be suicidal, given Walcott's injury and the mere existence of Bendtner

if anything, bringing in yet another attacking midfielder might force Wenger to play him up top a little more often
We ain't doing that. Podolski more important for this season than Draxler.

Barzul

United's information is that Luke Shaw, the Southampton left-back, would prefer a move to Chelsea and the club's scouting of Internazionale's Fredy Guarín has left them unsure about exactly how good the midfielder is

Don't know why I found that funny.
Edit: Looks like I was beaten.

Slizz

LOLLLLL. I'm surprised the hissy-fit he threw at Juve didn't tip United over the edge to sign him. Reminds me of someone...

EDIT: Kroos is one of those seemingly logical choices/in a good position to transfer that just won't come to fruition.

Carbonox

Random topic:

Anyone ever done free University courses online before? I'm considering it cos I have the time outside of work and would like to learn new things. Subjects I wouldn't have thought to have learned in the past, things outside of my comfort zone, etc. I'm also curious about the legitimacy of 'qualifying' too.

Barzul

Random topic:

Anyone ever done free University courses online before? I'm considering it cos I have the time outside of work and would like to learn new things. Subjects I wouldn't have thought to have learned in the past, things outside of my comfort zone, etc. I'm also curious about the legitimacy of 'qualifying' too.

You mean like on Coursera? I've considered it too.

Clegg

An absolute joke. We're having to tell a player who we're buying to convince him to stay.

Rooney isn't Manchester United. We don't have to revolve the club around him.
Don't think there's much that can be done tbh. As much as I dislike him, he's obviously a very good player. I know Mourinho said United would only sell him to a foreign team, but all media reports suggest that he'd only be interested in staying in England. If that's the case then the club may as well try to keep him happy and playing well. If that means revealing sensitive transfer information to him then so be it.

It also suggests that Rooney was happy with our targets which is apparently why he's changed his mind and is open to staying. So hopefully we have a few more good players coming in over the next few windows. Or it could be a load of bollocks and Rooney leaves for Chelsea anyway.

Kikarian

Don't think there's much that can be done tbh. As much as I dislike him, he's obviously a very good player. I know Mourinho said United would only sell him to a foreign team, but all media reports suggest that he'd only be interested in staying in England. If that's the case then the club may as well try to keep him happy and playing well. If that means revealing sensitive transfer information to him then so be it.

It also suggests that Rooney was happy with our targets which is apparently why he's changed his mind and is open to staying. So hopefully we have a few more good players coming in over the next few windows.
This would have never happened under Fergie. He wouldn't allow a player to hold us to ransom. He would of got rid of him straight away.

I guess the only positive I (we) can take from this is, like you said, hopefully we should be getting some decent players in the future.

Ed Woodward has apparently been learning very quickly and made some influential friends in his short stint as Chief Exec.

What he has definitely learnt very quickly is how to use the media. The summer was a complete disaster on that front. A lot smarter on the PR front over the past month. Delivering Mata helps but he's clearly speaking to every fucking journo out there to boost the good news. I wonder if he's the one calling them rather than the other way round. Stories dropping all over the place.

Will wait to see what he does over the next week and in the summer before I pass any real judgement though. And I want that Nike deal.

Barzul

Filipe Luis, Is he any good? MOgden on twitter says United are moving for him this week. Looks like Moyes isn't playing around, our tie at the Emirates is going to be interesting.

And we're gonna make him captain if he stays.

A sad day.

Unfortunately there may be no other option. Assuming Rio, Evra and Vidic all leave, which is pretty much confirmed at this point...who else is there? Giggs won't be made club captain at this stage, even if he plays on which he probably won't. Carrick and Fletcher are the only alternatives...not exactly captain material. Fletcher would have been if he didn't get sick.

Luis (or anyone) would be crazy to leave Atletico at this point, they could do something special.

United keep targeting CL players as well lol, but they won't win that. Luis is great though. Cabaye and Luis or Shaw would be great buys but I didn't know Cabaye was 28 already!

A sad day.

Unfortunately there may be no other option. Assuming Rio, Evra and Vidic all leave, which is pretty much confirmed at this point...who else is there? Giggs won't be made club captain at this stage, even if he plays on which he probably won't. Carrick and Fletcher are the only alternatives...not exactly captain material. Fletcher would have been if he didn't get sick.

"Don't you know I'm muy loco ese?"

/

jyKNIGPSHLvyF.jpg

kharma45

A sad day.

No reason Fletcher can't still do it, he'd be my choice. Experienced and does lead well on the pitch.

RvP could be an option but he might be out too often and miss games.

Barzul

Luis (or anyone) would be crazy to leave Atletico at this point, they could do something special.

United keep targeting CL players as well lol, but they won't win that. Luis is great though. Cabaye and Luis or Shaw would be great buys but I didn't know Cabaye was 28 already!

28 isn't really that old, that's how old Arteta was when we signed him and look at the impact he's had. I doubt Moyes cares about the CL, they know they have no chance in it.

Nah, he's just hotheaded. Plus he's young and I feel he respects his elders almost to a fault, wouldn't translate well.

Rooney is hotheaded too and has been worse in that respect than Rafael. Neville says Rafael has been with United since he was 14, though not officially until he was 18.

Replace 200k with 300k and what's different exactly? Rooney got the money he wants, and Moyes has him playing his best football in a long time. He's doing his job, don't be fooled my Moyes' public persona.

The difference is that Rooney is actually gaining some sort of power here.

Last time, Rooney pussied out. Fergie told him specifically to focus on playing and nothing else. Rooney got his pay bump - but the narrative around it was that he was humbled.

This does not seem to be the same to me.

Whether Rooney is actually having any sort of say - I doubt it. They are doing what they need to in order to get him to stay and if that's what they want, fair enough, they're doing their jobs. I'm not doubting that.

But the idea that Rooney gets a payrise, gets made captain and is somehow privy to information that other players aren't...simply because he's a bitch...that's sickening.

Clegg

Ed Woodward has apparently been learning very quickly and made some influential friends in his short stint as Chief Exec.

What he has definitely learnt very quickly is how to use the media. The summer was a complete disaster on that front. A lot smarter on the PR front over the past month. Delivering Mata helps but he's clearly speaking to every fucking journo out there to boost the good news. I wonder if he's the one calling them rather than the other way round. Stories dropping all over the place.

Will wait to see what he does over the next week and in the summer before I pass any real judgement though. And I want that Nike deal.
I'm now willing to admit I was wrong about the Glazer's and their ambitions for the club. Spending almost £40m on a player is something I never thought they'd actually allow. Having said that, I wouldn't be too surprised if our spending was done for this window. Just doesn't seem like there's enough time to sign more players. Woodward deserves some kudos for turning things around though. But like you, I'll wait until the end of summer before praising him. Have another poor window and all bets are off.

Barzul

No reason Fletcher can't still do it, he'd be my choice. Experienced and does lead well on the pitch.

RvP could be an option but he might be out too often and miss games.

As much as I still detest him, RVP was a good captain. Better than Cesc anyway. I still remember that freekick he scored against Sunderland, that's when I believed Wenger made the right choice until he burned all bridges that is.

pulga

Banned
so uuuuuhhh is there anything else to "Papers, Please" that I'm missing?

i already did similar shit when I worked at the embassy

why am i playing a game about my sorta job

I'm now willing to admit I was wrong about the Glazer's and their ambitions for the club. Spending almost £40m on a player is something I never thought they'd actually allow. Having said that, I wouldn't be too surprised if our spending was done for this window. Just doesn't seem like there's enough time to sign more players. Woodward deserves some kudos for turning things around though. But like you, I'll wait until the end of summer before praising him. Have another poor window and all beta are off.

I don't understand. Why?

One £37m signing against £600m+ drained away in debt?

They haven't put a penny into the club. I'm glad it sounds like they've sanctioned some spending but 1) let's wait and see if we actually spend £200m 2) it's all still in spite of them.

kharma45

The difference is that Rooney is actually gaining some sort of power here.

Last time, Rooney pussied out. Fergie told him specifically to focus on playing and nothing else. Rooney got his pay bump - but the narrative around it was that he was humbled.

This does not seem to be the same to me.

Whether Rooney is actually having any sort of say - I doubt it. They are doing what they need to in order to get him to stay and if that's what they want, fair enough, they're doing their jobs. I'm not doubting that.

But the idea that Rooney gets a payrise, gets made captain and is somehow privy to information that other players aren't...simply because he's a bitch...that's sickening.

I know. Imagine being Vidic, club captain, and hearing that potentially that ill bred cunt Rooney is going to be the next captain (presuming that is he leaves, I can't imagine how irate he'd be if he was stripped of it) and finding out information no other player is privy to.

I would be surprised if this didn't cause a rift between Rooney and some other players.

I'm now willing to admit I was wrong about the Glazer's and their ambitions for the club. Spending almost £40m on a player is something I never thought they'd actually allow. Having said that, I wouldn't be too surprised if our spending was done for this window. Just doesn't seem like there's enough time to sign more players. Woodward deserves some kudos for turning things around though. But like you, I'll wait until the end of summer before praising him. Have another poor window and all beta are off.

You're all going to come around to my point of view soon.

They ain't all bad. Lots of debt and repayments of course but I feel that line has been worn out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom