• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

09/10

http://i.minus.com/ibbNvE2hc6l8VA.png[IMG]

10/11

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibbmjX7E19Sduv.png[IMG]

11/12

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibaL7gyiLvx5Db.png[IMG]

12/13

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/imHBrLgjoxZUJ.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

What am I supposed to see here? The lower Robben's rating the better the overall team performs in competitions? WhoScored is stupid with their rankings? What?!

Yen

Wilfried Zaha ‏@wilfriedzaha 4 Nov 2011
Can someone tell me why cardiff are in the championship if the in another country ?

Slizz

Can someone tell me why cardiff are in the championship if the in another country ?

¥?

EDIT: Can we talk about how average Lucas is? I remember a bunch of Pool fans fawning over this dude year in and year out and all I saw him do was rash tackles and get hurt...

Yen

¥?
EDIT: Can we talk about how average Lucas is? I remember a bunch of Pool fans fawning over this dude year in and year out and all I saw him do was rash tackles and get hurt...

You can call me "¥", or The Poster Formerly Known As Yenrot.

Under Kenny (and even Hodgson) he was one of our best players. A destroyer, very athletic and a great tackler, and very good on the ball, his performance against Yaya in 2011 was beast-like. Since his injury in 2011, he has failed to return to his previous self, he hasn't got the same athleticism. In his prime he was the master of the cynical foul outside the box, too.

Might have been carrying that injury for awhile, would explain his generally bad performances.
Yeah I fully expect him to do alot better than he did early doors. Still pretty confident he's going to do well.

We really need to bin this cunt asap.

Elchele

What am I supposed to see here? The lower Robben's rating the better the overall team performs in competitions? WhoScored is stupid with their rankings? What?!

It's kind of cool how the squad changed in 4 seasons. It's more notorious on the bench.

From having this bench: Bench: Demichelis, Contento, Altintop, Pranjic, Tymo, Gomez, Klose

To this: Shaqiri, Gotze, Pizarro, Robben, Javi Martínez, Contento, Schweinsteiger

Slizz

You can call me "¥", or The Poster Formerly Known As Yenrot.

Under Kenny (and even Hodgson) he was one of our best players. A destroyer, very athletic and a great tackler, and very good on the ball, his performance against Yaya in 2011 was beast-like. Since his injury in 2011, he has failed to return to his previous self, he hasn't got the same athleticism. In his prime he was the master of the cynical foul outside the box, too.

I'm a fan of the typical Paul Scholes tackle so I can relate, it just seems that hes perpetually hurt now. Fans get hyped for the return for 2-3 games then he gets hurt. Seriously I knew he was gonna get hurt in the last game he played right when the announcer mentioned he had played almost a full 90 in the game prior and was going to get at least 30 minutes of play time when he got subbed on.

Elchele

Really enjoyed the weekend with Bundesliga back.
And there's Stuttgart vs. Bayern on wednesday, easy match but I guess it will do.

And the argentine league is starting next week :D
will try to go to the stadium a couple of times this season, at least there's Maxi rodriguez

Fergie

Banned
The defence should be better, but when you had Smalling (as a fullback) and Evra fucking up, it isn't surprising some of the confidence went. Doesn't help it's a new partnership each couple of matches due to injuries or somewhat. Consistency should help. Probably.

It can also be said that the weak midfield which is easily surpassed creates increased pressure on the defence.

Moyes do your organisation magic and hopefully Fellaini hits the ground running.

Salazar

The Arsenal/Liverpool game is less than 2 weeks away. Will he be back that soon? Bugger. Game would be easier if he wasn't there.

Wenger needs some pre-game chat about how Liverpool's defenders are getting away with fucking murder at set pieces.

Wilbur aka Cassavetes aka Wilbur

oO5LhIg.gif

jtb

Banned
Man can't wait for Aaron Ramsey to return. I think he'll be essential in our run in.

didn't he pull his hamstring? I know the injury was supposed to only be "2-3 weeks" (lol) so I don't expect him to actually get any minutes between now and Bayern, where Wenger will rush him back for the big game and he'll re-injure himself like five minutes into the match. we've seen this story before.

Barzul

didn't he pull his hamstring? I know the injury was supposed to only be "2-3 weeks" (lol) so I don't expect him to actually get any minutes between now and Bayern, where Wenger will rush him back for the big game and he'll re-injure himself like five minutes into the match. we've seen this story before.

He's back in training tomorrow. But I doubt Wenger will use him v. Soton. He'll be fit for Crystal Palace and he'll definitely be fit for Bayern. I expect his first start might be vs Man Utd at home.

wedward

He won't be rushed back unless Jack and Arteta are unavailable.

Danchi

Everyone mentions the "confidence boost" signing Ozil had on the team, but Flamini is seemingly the forgotten man. On the pitch, he's been far more important for me. Every time the camera focuses on him he isn't spitting or blowing his nose out like 90% of players, but shouting and telling people where they should be. Per has said, too, that having a genuine defensive midfielder finally playing in of front him has really stabilised the back four.

I feel like these types of players are really unappreciated. Not just defensive players, but guys who play certain roles in the team. I watch Juventus and see players like Asamoah and Lichtsteiner. Players no-one would ever describe as "world class," but they know their job, can stand in multiple positions, and listen to what the manager tells them.

EmiPrime

Everyone mentions the "confidence boost" signing Ozil had on the team, but Flamini is seemingly the forgotten man. On the pitch, he's been far more important for me. Every time the camera focuses on him he isn't spitting or blowing his nose out like 90% of players, but shouting and telling people where they should be. Per has said, too, that having a genuine defensive midfielder finally playing in front him has really stabilised the back four.

I feel like these types of players are really unappreciated. Not just defensive players, but guys who play certain roles in the team. I watch Juventus and see players like Asamoah and Lichtsteiner. Players no-one would ever describe as "world class," but they know their job, can stand in multiple positions, and listen to what the manager tells them.

Gilberto didn't get the credit he deserved either. Gallas being made captain ahead of him is probably the weirdest decision Arsène has ever made.

Everyone mentions the "confidence boost" signing Ozil had on the team, but Flamini is seemingly the forgotten man. On the pitch, he's been far more important for me. Every time the camera focuses on him he isn't spitting or blowing his nose out like 90% of players, but shouting and telling people where they should be. Per has said, too, that having a genuine defensive midfielder finally playing in front him has really stabilised the back four.

I hate the cunt, but I muat admit he has been excellent. I had thought that before Rambo burst into HGH Rambo that he could play that role. But it is cleat that despite Ramsey having great defensive stats he is no where near Flamini in terms if just sitting back there are organising shit.

Gilberto didn't get the credit he deserved either. Gallas being made captain ahead of him is probably the weirdest decision Arsène has ever made.

Gilberto was a complete beast. Was one of the key reasons we went undefeated and his departure was one of the reasons we have struggled. Wenger picked Gallas because he was French. Plain and simple. He should never have been made captain and his bust up with King Kolo meant Toure wantes out ASAP

woodchuck

Everyone mentions the "confidence boost" signing Ozil had on the team, but Flamini is seemingly the forgotten man. On the pitch, he's been far more important for me. Every time the camera focuses on him he isn't spitting or blowing his nose out like 90% of players, but shouting and telling people where they should be. Per has said, too, that having a genuine defensive midfielder finally playing in of front him has really stabilised the back four.

Agreed. Flamini is awesome. If he gets injured, we're fucked. Like arsenal a few years back when we were top of the league

EmiPrime

Gilberto was a complete beast. Was one of the key reasons we went undefeated and his departure was one of the reasons we have struggled. Wenger picked Gallas because he was French. Plain and simple. He should never have been made captain and his bust up with King Kolo meant Toure wantes out ASAP

He was one of those players who you really had to see in the flesh to appreciate. The 49ers were a privilege to watch and he was a big reason the defence was as good as it was and he allowed Vieira to press forward. I am glad our centre is tougher now but yeah, it took far too long to restore our spine!

Gallas... ungh. Glad to see the back of him.

jtb

Banned
okay, I'll be the guy that says Flamini is overrated. this season at least. 07-08 he was phenomenal but he had much more energy, got forward a bit more, which allowed him to really do 2 midfielders' worth of work and let Wenger play 4-4-2. he's a competent defensive midfielder; we wouldn't even be marveling at how important he is if Wenger actually went out and bought one (or if Song wasn't fucking terrible) after letting him and Gilberto leave.

we've won plenty of games without him. for me, the much bigger change is the tactics—much more defensively solid but at the sacrifice of creativity (pretty low shots per game, compared to the other top sides). Arteta's not as physical as Flamini but he's a much better passer and he can step in and fill that role if Flamini gets injured.

GHG

Gold Member
okay, I'll be the guy that says Flamini is overrated. this season at least. 07-08 he was phenomenal but he had much more energy, got forward a bit more, which allowed him to really do 2 midfielders' worth of work and let Wenger play 4-4-2. he's a competent defensive midfielder; we wouldn't even be marveling at how important he is if Wenger actually went out and bought one (or if Song wasn't fucking terrible) after letting him and Gilberto leave.

We don't need him to get forward though and we don 't play 442 anymore. So how you can say he's been overrated in the current circumstances is beyond me...

He does his job and does it efficiently. Protects the back 4, disrupts opposition play and passes the ball on. We don't want/need him to do anything else as the rest of the team has so much attacking/creative talent. He's like the complete opposite of Song who for all his assists, was far to cavilier in his role as a DM which meant there were often massive gaps between our midfield and defense. That was the key reason we were so vulnerable defensively, especially on the counter. Look at some of the goals we used to concede, you know there's a massive problem when the opposition can play a straight 40 yard pass along the floor down the middle of the pitch with nobody within touching distance to cut it out.

Nobody is saying Flamini is world class or the best DM in the world but he's just what we needed this season and has done a damn good job.

wedward

Nobody is saying Flamini is world class or the best DM in the world but he's just what we needed this season and has done a damn good job.

Yup, he has played well and done his job. I think a player like him is necessary against certain opposition. Don't really think he is overrated at all. Been very good this season and does what is required of him well.

Barzul

we've won plenty of games without him. for me, the much bigger change is the tactics—much more defensively solid but at the sacrifice of creativity (pretty low shots per game, compared to the other top sides). Arteta's not as physical as Flamini but he's a much better passer and he can step in and fill that role if Flamini gets injured.

Flamini is way better than you give him credit for. The game against Coventry just emphasized that. Flamini is good at plugging in the gaps and keeping our channels secure. Several of those attacks that Coventry had would never have happened with Flamini on the pitch. He's been way better than I expected he would be.

Meier

Out latest link: Saul Niguez.

On loan from Atletico at Rayo.

Centre midfielder, played as centre half tonight.

Fucked up leading to the first goal, then scored an OG

fml pt 2...

Saw a scouting article about him 2 weeks or so ago (since you guys have been linked for some time) and it was absolutely hilarious. The dude just completely ripped him apart and said he's been absolutely godawful for Rayo.

Le Fondre is a one man wrecking crew in my FM save. Up to 22 goals now in all comps and it's the first week of January.

GorillaJu

Yes, the one solace I can take from that article (if the Niguez link is real) is that it's written on his performances at CB. If we bought him he'd play in midfield. The other stuff I read on him was very positive.

Still doubt it's real I think he just wants a move from Atletico and his agent is leaking fake stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom