• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

The difference is that Rooney is actually gaining some sort of power here.

Last time, Rooney pussied out. Fergie told him specifically to focus on playing and nothing else. Rooney got his pay bump - but the narrative around it was that he was humbled.

This does not seem to be the same to me.

Whether Rooney is actually having any sort of say - I doubt it. They are doing what they need to in order to get him to stay and if that's what they want, fair enough, they're doing their jobs. I'm not doubting that.

But the idea that Rooney gets a payrise, gets made captain and is somehow privy to information that other players aren't...simply because he's a bitch...that's sickening.
Viva, you know what must be done.

LegoArmo

I very much doubt they'd strip Vidic of the captaincy. Vidic has so far not signed a new contract, I don't know if we even know if he's been offered one? He's probably off. Evra seemingly too. Giggs is retiring and Ferdinand might as well be.

That leaves Carrick, or Rooney as possible captain options, really.

Clegg

I don't understand. Why?

One £37m signing against £600m+ drained away in debt?

They haven't put a penny into the club. I'm glad it sounds like they've sanctioned some spending but 1) let's wait and see if we actually spend £200m 2) it's all still in spite of them.
I worded the initial statement poorly. I meant to say that I never believed the Glazer's would allow that much money to be spent on a single player. Just feel like this could potentially be the start of a shift in transfer policy. One where we're more willing to spend big. Of course, this could just be a once off, but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Those stories of signing 5 more Mata's are encouraging. But there's still the lingering doubt that they're just doing an Arsenal.

bud

I can't believe this photo is real

iQCIpTVBwjRYF.jpg

my new favorite photo.

not sure why he's on the bench.

wedward

I worded the initial statement poorly. I meant to say that I never believed the Glazer's would allow that much money to be spent on a single player. Just feel like this could potentially be the start of a shift in transfer policy. One where we're more willing to spend big. Of course, this could just be a once off, but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Those stories of signing 5 more Mata's are encouraging. But there's still the lingering doubt that they're just doing an Arsenal.

We spent 42 million and sounds like we plan on spending 30+ shortly. I don't think the summer was a one off.

Hixx

Sounds like we are finally getting Scocco this week.

"False 9"

Wtf does that even mean

fucking footballing hipster terminology

bud

Why shouldn't he? He's our sporting director
He's one of the most important parts of the club, and he kills complacency, don't think we would have won everything last season without him.

what does he do on the bench? i don't get it. he's a sporting director.

it's the coach's job to make sure everyone's doing their job on the pitch.

Barzul

Well the difference is that we were actually broke. Our commercial revenue was appalling, still is (although it's about to get a lot better). United have never really had that problem. I mean you guys have just in the last two windows spent 64m on Fellaini and Mata. You do spend big.

Elchele

what does he do on the bench? i don't get it. he's a sporting director.

it's the coach's job to make sure everyone's doing their job on the pitch.

he oversights everything: the players, the coach, how the team is doing as a whole, when the coach/players get too relaxed because they're winning then Sammer jumps in.

He's in charge of pretty much everything related to football in our club. He does transfers also, he hires the coaches for Bayern II and Bayern youth teams, makes sure the youth teams are following the same idea of football as the senior team, etc.

And he makes a rant every time someone scores against us (or almost scores)

ibbq1xAqHjjXYB.gif

it3NljNE9w9yw.gif

dc89

"I had one problem and then another. But that's the past and I don't want to talk about the past.

I know my value and that the fans will love me."

Jojo - I've always loved you

bud

he oversights everything: the players, the coach, how the team is doing as a whole, when the coach/players get too relaxed because they're winning then Sammer jumps in.

He's in charge of pretty much everything related to football in our club. He does transfers also, he hires the coaches for Bayern II and Bayern youth teams, makes sure the youth teams are following the same idea of football as the senior team, etc.

And he makes a rant every time someone scores against us (or almost scores)

yes, i know. but that doesn't mean he should be on the bench.

but like spidye said: it's a german thing. so eh.

Barzul

Rumors are that Arsenal will announce the deal with Puma tomorrow. Kit will look like shit. O well. More money.

I'll take a shit kit if it means more money for transfers. I hope we win the league this season, it only helps increase our commercial revenue stream.

Clegg

Well the difference is that we were actually broke. Our commercial revenue was appalling, still is (although it's about to get a lot better). United have never really had that problem. I mean you guys have just in the last two windows spent 64m on Fellaini and Mata. You do spend big.
I feel like I've had this argument before. United have always spent big up to a certain level, but not above that. I just think that a transfer of this size, one that's significantly higher than our previous record, could mean that we're more willing to spend similar amounts on the best players. Which is something we haven't done in quite a while imo.

And by "doing an Arsenal" I meant being linked with players you knew you never had a chance to sign, but putting the story out there anyway. That's what I hope is not going to happen.

Elchele

yes, i know. but that doesn't mean he should be on the bench.

but like spidye said: it's a german thing. so eh.

Well, a Sporting Director is supposed to be the link between the coach/players and the management. So I think it's very important for him to be on the bench with the rest of the team.

Damn that Daniel Taylor article is really interesting.

Surprising to hear Mata wanted to leave even before the end of the summer window and that Chelsea agreed to the release clause.

Froggie liked Shinji huh. Why didn't you play him properly then :(

Barzul

I feel like I've had this argument before. United have always spent big up to a certain level, but not above that. I just think that a transfer of this size, one that's significantly higher than our previous record, could mean that we're more willing to spend similar amounts on the best players. Which is something we haven't done in quite a while imo.

And by "doing an Arsenal" I meant being linked with players you knew you never had a chance to sign, but putting the story out there anyway. That's what I hope is not going to happen.

Oh yeah, that used to piss me off. Gazidis and his PR machine, always happened before season ticket renewals too. Looks like we're past that though.

Clegg

Would the United fans in here be happy if our only signing this January is Mata? I dont mean for this to come off as being spoiled or whatever. I'm delighted we've signed him as he's world class or at least very close to that level, but it can be argued that we didn't really need a player of his type.

Slizz

Would the United fans in here be happy if only only signing this January is Mata? I'm delighted we've signed him as he's world class or at least very close to that level, but it can be argued that we didn't really need a player of his type.

Expecting nothing and getting something quite good regardless of need makes me happy. Other rumblings of Woodward, Moyes and potential transfers for the future is also instilling more faith in me.

Feorax

Out latest link: Saul Niguez.

On loan from Atletico at Rayo.

Centre midfielder, played as centre half tonight.

Fucked up leading to the first goal, then scored an OG

fml pt 2...

Lightning

Banned
Would the United fans in here be happy if our only signing this January is Mata? I dont mean foe this to come off as being spoiled or whatever. I'm delighted we've signed him as he's world class or at least very close to that level, but it can be argued that we didn't really need a player of his type.
Everyone said we didn't need Ozil and that he wouldn't make that much difference. Look at the results.

Mata is a huge boost to everyone in your squad.

Liverpool-GAF Will Lucas be back for the Arsenal games?

Clegg

Everyone said we didn't need Ozil and that he wouldn't make that much difference. Look at the results.

You've a better starting 11 than us though. A decent back line and a strong as fuck central midfield. Getting Ozil made your attack better and Mata will do the same for ours. But he won't make our central midfield or defence any better. They're areas which still desperately need to be addressed.

wedward

Liverpool-GAF Will Lucas be back for the Arsenal games?

Definitely think Mata improves their squad. His arrival will boost everyone.

Don't think it will be as big a boost as Arsenal got because we were already playing pretty well before Ozil signed.

Would the United fans in here be happy if our only signing this January is Mata? I dont mean for this to come off as being spoiled or whatever. I'm delighted we've signed him as he's world class or at least very close to that level, but it can be argued that we didn't really need a player of his type.

Not really.

Great signing and I expected nothing - so it's awesome we got him.

But our expectations were set well below the bar.

We should have already brought in a LB or CM in this window IMO - the problems in those positions are so severe. In fairness there has been very very little in this window so I can appreciate it is genuinely a tough time to buy, and I am sympathetic to the view we shouldn't be wasting time or money with players who aren't going to contribute in the long term.

As Lightning says the Mata signing could prove to be a sufficient boost - I am still hopeful we can at least get a LB before the end of the week though. If we get one then I think we've done alright.

Barzul

You've a better starting 11 than us though. A decent back line and a strong as fuck central midfield. Getting Ozil made your attack better and Mata will do the same for ours. But he won't make our central midfield or defence any better. They're areas which still desperately need to be addressed.

Your defense is really the problem imo. That was why you lost that game to Chelsea, lack of concentration.

wedward

Definitely true, but the rebuilding of your squad is going to take a couple windows. While defense and cm are needed more than an attacker, if a player like mata is available you have to take him. Can't pass on a player like that because just because you need other positions more.

Lightning

Banned
You've a better starting 11 than us though. A decent back line and a strong as fuck central midfield. Bring Ozil in made your attack better and Mata will do the same for ours. But he won't make our central midfield or defence any better. They're areas which still desperately need to be addressed.
Only because we are playing well, where you are not. A boost can change all that.

At the start of the season our players were not better, they just got lifted and performed.

Do you forget the negativity surrounding us at the start of the season? Big signing changes that.

Jarnet87

I'd be very happy with Mata only, if Moyes and Woodward can get a CM that would be incredible. Hopefully Moyes starts to change tactics now that he's acquired Mata. This could be the death of Fergies dinosaur tactics.

Clegg

Definitely true, but the rebuilding of your squad is going to take a couple windows. While defense and cm are needed more than an attacker, if a player like mata is available you have to take him. Can't pass on a player like that because just because you need other positions more.
It's as you say, if a player as good as Mata is available than you get him. But Viva alluded to the problem some United fans have with the signing. He's brilliant and will give us a boost, but our problems in other areas are so severe that not trying to strengthen in at least one of those positions could be detrimental to a top 4 push this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom