• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

Totally forgot this happened.

sagnagoesatit.gif

Hahahaha

Everyone mentions the "confidence boost" signing Ozil had on the team, but Flamini is seemingly the forgotten man. On the pitch, he's been far more important for me. Every time the camera focuses on him he isn't spitting or blowing his nose out like 90% of players, but shouting and telling people where they should be. Per has said, too, that having a genuine defensive midfielder finally playing in of front him has really stabilised the back four.

I feel like these types of players are really unappreciated. Not just defensive players, but guys who play certain roles in the team. I watch Juventus and see players like Asamoah and Lichtsteiner. Players no-one would ever describe as "world class," but they know their job, can stand in multiple positions, and listen to what the manager tells them.

Yeah it was the same situation with Makalele years ago when he was arguable the most important player at Madrid and then at Chelsea

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Everyone mentions the "confidence boost" signing Ozil had on the team, but Flamini is seemingly the forgotten man. On the pitch, he's been far more important for me. Every time the camera focuses on him he isn't spitting or blowing his nose out like 90% of players, but shouting and telling people where they should be. Per has said, too, that having a genuine defensive midfielder finally playing in of front him has really stabilised the back four.

I feel like these types of players are really unappreciated. Not just defensive players, but guys who play certain roles in the team. I watch Juventus and see players like Asamoah and Lichtsteiner. Players no-one would ever describe as "world class," but they know their job, can stand in multiple positions, and listen to what the manager tells them.

Good post, as per usual!

*cough*

/biased

I think Stephan Lichtsteiner is vastly underrated <3 he IS world class, and I was happy to see him nominated for UEFA's best XI. There's nobody I'd rather have than him. I can't think of many FBs/WBs that can do just as well offensively and defensively. He embodies the spirit of Conte on the pitch <3

And even stats-wise, no fullback in the world is doing as good as him right now. 2 goals and 6 assists in 15 games, that's more than Alaba, Alba, Alves and Baines combined. :p

Ashes

Banned
None because at Liverpool the poor performances stick out like a sore thumb, not the good ones.

With all due respect I have to disagree. Liverpool have arguably the best forward in Europe right now in Suarez. He's had lots of man of the match performances.

valeo

okay, I'll be the guy that says Flamini is overrated. this season at least. 07-08 he was phenomenal but he had much more energy, got forward a bit more, which allowed him to really do 2 midfielders' worth of work and let Wenger play 4-4-2. he's a competent defensive midfielder; we wouldn't even be marveling at how important he is if Wenger actually went out and bought one (or if Song wasn't fucking terrible) after letting him and Gilberto leave.

we've won plenty of games without him. for me, the much bigger change is the tactics&#8212;much more defensively solid but at the sacrifice of creativity (pretty low shots per game, compared to the other top sides). Arteta's not as physical as Flamini but he's a much better passer and he can step in and fill that role if Flamini gets injured.

Completely agreed. And Flamini is hardly overrated - news sites have been pulling out the 'Ozil wasn't the most important signing, Flamini was' tidbit since our first win this season; it's hardly a new or revolutionary thought..

I don't think Flamini is as good as he used to be but he is flourishing in a solid defensive system. Both Koscielny and Per are far more important than Flamini is defensively.

Since the back end of last season we have sacrificed some amount of creativity for defensive solidarity and it is now paying off.

One of these days I'll get home in the morning and read some news that reassures me that we're making a genuine attempt to solidify our position in 4th and hold off our competitors. One of these days :(

Might start watching Brooklyn Nine Nine

Salazar

We still need a midfielder too, Hitch.

Sporting would allegedly guzzle a bid for Willy Carvalho, and our scouts must be sick of the sight of him. Be nice if that happened, although I still have reservations about how his style fits*.

*That said, I wasn't sure about Pogba :(

Mastadon

Banned
One of these days I'll get home in the morning and read some news that reassures me that we're making a genuine attempt to solidify our position in 4th and hold off our competitors. One of these days :(

Ayre is probably still trying to tempt Salah.

Lightning

Banned

Arsenal fans told themselves when we missed our striker, dont worry only 12 weeks until January window, if we win...... game it will be fine. January here, we won those games, Wenger says I have Giroud with Bendtner and Sanogo no need for striker.

Meantime Chelsea strengthen. I hate January.

Sporting would allegedly guzzle a bid for Willy Carvalho, and our scouts must be sick of the sight of him. Be nice if that happened, although I still have reservations about how his style fits*.

You've signed a world class player who could quite feasibly propel you to fourth with his mere presence. May not have been the signing you anticipated, but damn it's better than nothing :p

With Rooney, Van Persie and Mata, I make you clear favourites for fourth now unfortunately. Can see Sherwood's Spurs and Everton becoming a little inconsistent as the season goes on.

If we lose out on that precious CL spot to you by 2 or so points, I may well kill myself.

Danchi

I read a couple of positive pieces on Flamini earlier on in the season, but it just surprises me how little Arsenal fans personally (not just in this thread) seem to mention his name. I agree with the logic that signing Ozil gave the team a mental lift, but ultimately this isn't an actual measurable quantity. Flamini is a real, physical person who seems to be ranked behind what is essentially a piece of armchair-pyschology.

Salazar

Matt Spiro &#8207;@mattspiro 1m
Reports that #MUFC have turned down #PSG approach for Adnan Januzaj. Perhaps a riposte to United after their enquiries for Edinson Cavani

:lol

Is Cabaye replacing/displacing anyone at PSG ?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
:lol

Is Cabaye replacing/displacing anyone at PSG ?

We have Adnan for 5 years and you bet your ass Moyes is going to seal him up till then, our brightest young prospect since Ronaldo aint going nowhere.

Jack cw

I wonder if Mandzukic stays at Bayern this winter. Pes is doing another Ibrahimovic it appears. I really dont think that after Götze and Müller are performed so well, that there is a chance for him at the starting 11. There is another potential player for United. Moyes pls.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I wonder if Mandzukic stays at Bayern this winter. Pes is doing another Ibrahimovic it appears. I really dont think that after Götze and Müller are performed so well, that there is a chance for him at the starting 11. There is another potential player for United. Moyes pls.

I hope we're not still considering him? We don't need a CF anymore and he won't improve our team that much.

Plasma

Banned
Arsenal fans told themselves when we missed our striker, dont worry only 12 weeks until January window, if we win...... game it will be fine. January here, we won those games, Wenger says I have Giroud with Bendtner and Sanogo no need for striker.

Meantime Chelsea strengthen. I hate January.

Even more annoying that we were in the exact same position last January and we didn't sign a striker in the summer.

Jack cw

I hope we're not still considering him? We don't need a CF anymore and he won't improve us that much.

I agree. You have Tevez who is better in every regard and Llorente for the sake of looking handsome. But Vidal wants him and it makes sense as both are sneaky bastards.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Buy Suarez pls if he wants to leave again

We will certainly try :D Conte and Marotta are crazy about him.

But only if we sell Pogba, I assume?

I agree. You have Tevez who is better in every regard and Llorente for the sake of looking handsome. But Vidal wants him and it makes sense as both are sneaky bastards.

Llorente is on fucking FIRE right now! 5 in his last 5 and 11 overall!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Even more annoying that we were in the exact same position last January and we didn't sign a striker in the summer.

In the grand scheme of things if you would have asked any Arsenal fan pre season to take top at the end of Jan they would have snapped your hand off, it has been and should continue to be, a damn good season for them.

We will certainly try :D Conte/Marotta are crazy about him.

Have they mentioned him in interviews? He's the kind of Jekyll/Hyde mentalist who would fit right in in Serie A :p

Don't think I can handle watching him and Alonso play for those cunts

Baines signs new contract. Future secured, or move to make more money in the summer?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Have they mentioned him in interviews? He's the kind of Jekyll/Hyde mentalist who would fit right in in Serie A :p

they did, but not in a smarmy Barca-esque way.

everyone wants Suarez, it's no secret.

and REMEMBER Liverpool, we gave you Poulsen. You owe us.

Baines signs new contract. Future secured, or move to make more money in the summer?
nah he's staying put now

Pussy

sohois

Utd don't seem as interested anymore, and who else is going to buy him? I guess City have never entirely solved their LB issues but apart from the Manchester clubs I can't think of anyone to afford him.

they did, but not in a smarmy Barca-esque way.

everyone wants Suarez, it's no secret.

and REMEMBER Liverpool, we gave you Poulsen. You owe us.

You didn't give us Poulsen, you took advantage of Hodgson's dementia. Shame on you.

Was he as bad for you as he was in his mercifully short time at LFC?

Sporting won't sell Willy Carvalho for less than 30M€. We just send a DM on loan to Italy, Willy Carvalho is our best player and his value can only increase in the next 6 months. There is no reason to sell him right now.

Salazar

nah he's staying put now

Pussy

The valuations were borderline hilarious before this. Now ?

I wouldn't want anyone to give that prat Martinez the satisfaction. I'm even hoping Liverpool crunch them in the derby.

Sporting won't sell Willy Carvalho for less than 30M&#8364;. We just send a DM on loan to Italy, Willy Carvalho is our best player and his value can only increase in the next 6 months. There is no reason to sell him right now.

pls, Wooders is a woodland animal spliced with a supercomputer. Admittedly, this would test him a little in the time remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom