• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Holtby was down to his final 6 months and would have been available for free. He's under contract now for years further. Dortmund are ridiculous if they think that the fee shouldn't be significantly higher in comparison.

Wes

venison crêpe
For 6 million I would hope Villa have at least enquired about Holtby. Although he may just want to go back to Germany.

Also can't believe Fulham are about to sign a striker for over 10m.

Biabiany's agent: "Yes, I can confirm that Milan and Parma are in talks regarding Biabiany."

I thought Biabiany was Juve-bound? Well, we need a RW, that's for sure. I would have preferred Cerci but I guess I can't be picky nowadays. This is better than Birsa.

faridmon

You sold those two for a combined £15m.

Holy shit.

Hmm, maybe you are saving for the summer. Seriously though haven't Everton always been in a position where you need to sell just to cover your costs?

Lol, that is exactly what I said. I really feel for West Brom and Hull fans.

In terms of financial stability, A lot of those struggle was due to the high wages we have accumulated through out the years. Yakubu and Saha were earning 70K each, Cahill, 60k, Arteta 110k, Neville, 60k and so one and so fourth. For all the right Moyes have done in buying ''budget' players, he also signed a lot of players on high wages which made us broke.Recently we did announce that we did break even and we are in the strongest economical position since the heydays of the 90s. Could that be some PR nonsense.

Or maybe, you are right, Summer might be the one, but again, I am not so hopeful.

EDIT: I meant 110k which is still alot of money.

faridmon

Aeteta 120k... a week?

That just can't be right.

100 to 110k a week.

He was our highest earners of all time, and the reports indicated that he was earning way higher than his closest rival, who was Saha.

Not confirmed everyone believed to be the case.

He took a hefty price cut in order to join Arsenal.

jtb

Banned
Veysey says Arsenal delegation still negotiating for Draxler, hoping for a breakthrough, would give everyone a lift.

makes sense, Wenger usually rules out transfers in January unconditionally but he seemed pretty open about trying to bring a player or two in. Monreal came in really late last window too with little buzz, hopefully Wenger pushes through this buy (or any buy, really) too.

subtles

Honest question; are UnitedGaf happy with Moyes? Is his tactical management, coaching, public presentation (interviews and whatnot) and general persona what you want at United?

If not;

Are you waiting to see the back end of him?

wedward

Arteta 120k... a week?

That just can't be right.

He isn't even on 120k at Arsenal

100 to 110k a week.

He was our highest earners of all time, and the reports indicated that he was earning way higher than his closest rival, who was Saha.

First article on Google says he was on 80k and took a 10k cut to join Arsenal.

Elchele

Holtby was down to his final 6 months and would have been available for free. He's under contract now for years further. Dortmund are ridiculous if they think that the fee shouldn't be significantly higher in comparison.

Well, Tottenham are trying to get rid of him so it kind of makes sense. Also, he's a former Schalke player.

Honest question; are UnitedGaf happy with Moyes? Is his tactical management, coaching, public presentation (interviews and whatnot) and general persona what you want at United?

If not;

Are you waiting to see the back end of him?
No.

No - he needs time. It would have been if he ticked all the boxes straight away. That was never going to happen though.

Clegg

100 to 110k a week.

He isn't even on 120k at Arsenal
Just did a quick search and the Guardian, Telegraph and BBC all say that Arteta took a pay cut to join Arsenal. But they say he was on £75k a week at Everton and not £120k.

wedward

makes sense, Wenger usually rules out transfers in January unconditionally but he seemed pretty open about trying to bring a player or two in. Monreal came in really late last window too with little buzz, hopefully Wenger pushes through this buy (or any buy, really) too.

It's obvious Wenger really doesn't want to miss out on him. We have the money. I think he will push it though by Friday.

faridmon

Just did a quick search and the Guardian, Telegraph and BBC all say that Arteta took a pay cut to join Arsenal. But they say he was on £75k a week at Everton and not £120k.

Hmm, I am sure he was on 80k before he renew his contract with us...

I am doubting myself. Let me try and go back to the forums and see if I could dig up something.

Saha was surely on 75k, So Artata has to be more than that.

Heitinga is on 70k, that can't be right...

Clegg

How could any United fan be happy with Moyes right now? Team isn't playing well and we've not shown much sign of improvement. He does have a lot of obstacles in his way though. Some senior players look like they've given up and are just coasting by and Fergie left him a woeful midfield to work with. Moyes and Co made a mess of the summer transfer window but have started making amends for that with the signing of Mata.

He needs to first remove the deadwood and replace them with quality. Then he needs to tackle the problem with our performance levels. Unfortunately he may have go juggle both of these things at the same time. If he signs good players but fails to get us playing well then he'll be gone. He may just end up being a manager who has assembled a good squad for someone else to work with.

faridmon

Yeah, after much digging, 80k seems to be his wages.
Maybe Fellanini was on 100k.

I am sure someone who we have sold was on that much, but the bottom line is, we saved like 250 k - 300k on wages in the last 2 years or so.

Draconian

A win plus a Tottenham win tomorrow would be a superb result. That way, even if we do lose at the Etihad, we'll still be only 1 point behind City.

wedward

I think we should try and do Draxler and Berbatov if we can. Would be a great window if that happened.

I am confident we will get someone. Wenger seems to be done taking gambles on players who may or may not pan out. The money is there. We are in a good position in all competitions. Just get someone in to give us a lift and bring something new to the team.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
How could anyone be happy with Moyes right now? Team isn't playing well and we've not shown much sign of improvement. He does have a lot of obstacles in his way though. Some senior players look like they've given up and are just coasting by and Fergie left him a woeful midfield to work with. Moyes and Co made a mess of the summer transfer window but have started making amends for that with the signing of Mata.

He needs to first remove the deadwood and replace them with quality. Then he needs to tackle the problem with our performance levels. Unfortunately he may have go juggle both of these things at the same time. If he signs good players but fails to get us playing well then he'll be gone. He may just end up being a manager who has assembled a good squad for someone else to work with.

If Moyes gets us in the Champions league there can be absolutely no complains about this season and I will firmly, firmly support him going forward. It will be a minor miracle with our current squad, because simply put we need to score more than we concede and we are going to concede ALOT of goals. He knows this, he bought in Mata to score and make goals happen and with our front four we should be able to do that.

Like it or not if he can get us fourth that is an astonishing accomplishment.

Barzul

I am confident we will get someone. Wenger seems to be done taking gambles on players who may or may not pan out. The money is there. We are in a good position in all competitions. Just get someone in to give us a lift and bring something new to the team.

We seriously missed a trick not signing Sturridge. We were linked to him before he moved to Liverpool and he was interested in the move. I'll admit, I underestimated how good he would be. If he ever moves again, I can see him being the record fee for an English player.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...and-international-hawked-to-arsenal-by-agent/

We seriously missed out.

Let's all go to Nando's

BfGy7hLIEAADy_z.jpg

Clegg

If Moyes gets us in the Champions league there can be absolutely no complains about this season and I will firmly, firmly support him going forward. It will be a minor miracle with our current squad, because simply put we need to score more than we concede and we are going to concede ALOT of goals. He knows this, he bought in Mata to score and make goals happen and with our front four we should be able to do that.

Like it or not if he can get us fourth that is an astonishing accomplishment.
From where we are right now qualifying for the CL will be an achievement. But we still can't forget that we're only here in the first place because we've been playing so poorly. I know I said Moyes us being hamstrung be various factors, but at the end of the day he is ultimately responsible for the performances of the team. It's probably unfair on him, but thems the breaks.

Now I'm going to sleep where I'll probably dream about Moyes signing a fuck off midfielder.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
From where we are right now qualifying for the CL will be an achievement. But we still can't forget that we're only here in the first place because we've been playing so poorly. I know I said Moyes us being hamstrung be various factors, but at the end of the day he is ultimately responsible for the performances of the team. It's probably unfair on him, but thems the breaks.

Now I'm going to sleep where I'll probably dream about Moyes signing a fuck off midfielder.

If he plays the style we all want with Mata then that goes a long way to proving he has a plan going forward, if he sticks with the old setup then I will more than happily nail him to the wall. He talked big over the weekend and unfortunately we cant write this season off and wait till summer for things to change, we are not going to gain ground playing the football we have done for the last 6 months, it behooves us to experiment with the tools we have. Failing to do so will cost Moyes alot of confidence from the fans.

It's more about the team performance than results. I would be a lot more tolerant of the losses if the team were playing fluid football. The matches are boring right now even when United win.

I was looking for a Daehli-Januzaj fist bump today.

Ryu-ken-cvs-specialintro.gif

GorillaJu

Giving a manager patience is all well and good. It's certainly to Utd's credit that they haven't turned their backs on Moyes but, going from champions in one season to possibly not qualifying for the Champions League in the next is poor no matter how you slice it.

bud

It's more about the team performance than results. I would be a lot more tolerant of the losses if the team were playing fluid football. The matches are boring right now even when United win.

exactly! you are my brother, kida.

this is how i feel about arsenal this season. the results are mostly great this season, but the football isn't--and that rubs me the wrong way.

K1LLER7

This! Way we play now is boring as hell.

Team has to show its evolving over these next 4-5 months. Getting players like Mata and Kagawa in will be pointless if Moyes doesn't change tactics to suit its main players strengths. If he intends to play the 3 of RVP-Rooney-Mata together, the team's got to rely less on constant wing play and cross. Play with a quicker tempo and actually try and create through the middle.

Meier

Berardi just went for $57m to PSG after the first season of this new FM save I'm playing. Sassuolo got $26.5 and Juventus got $30.5. :lol

Berardi just went for $57m to PSG after the first season of this new FM save I'm playing. Sassuolo got $26.5 and Juventus got $30.5. :lol

I just got the game and have started as Juve. If PSG offer me that I would reject. Fuck Juve having no wingers. I might sell Vidal and Llorente to fund a bid for El Shaz in the summer.

Just bought Verratti in the Jan window to act as my Pirlo replacement.

I want to switch to a 4-2-3-1 in the summer. Been training Pogba as a box to box midfielder.

rodvik

For 6 million I would hope Villa have at least enquired about Holtby.

Dream on Wes. Dream on mate :)

Also..

I miss Mick :)

"Quote of the season from Mick McCarthy tonight: "Some people might be frustrated with that result? Some people can fuck off.""

tri_willy

going through all the madness that occured earlier on

welcome back big 3, esp arnie, always good to have your thought on liverpool related matters

lol wooden, still laughing @ you going apeshit over mata

nice song wilbur

happy for the 3 points liverpool, pls keep this effort up

GorillaJu

Well it's just a bit surprising to me that his defensive contribution differs so much between when he's playing out wide and in the center. Out wide he's rather underwhelming and doesn't put in the same shift that Hazard, Valencia, or even Borini show for their teams defensively. In the center and suddenly he's a tackling machine.

I get the feeling he's a player that is really restricted when he's only got 180 degrees to work with. Every aspect of his game and his impact on the team improves when he's in a more central position. It's just that he's also quite competent as a wide player given his talents in passing, dribbling and crossing.

tri_willy

pretty sure playing in the centre is cou's preferred spot, altho in the wide it'll be an issue of consistency.

i feel as though if we somehow land konoplyanka, it'll be a coup of sort. having him on the left to SAS will be pretty sexy

GorillaJu

pretty sure playing in the centre is cou's preferred spot, altho in the wide it'll be an issue of consistency.

i feel as though if we somehow land konoplyanka, it'll be a coup of sort. having him on the left to SAS will be pretty sexy

He probably won't be an instant starter. Sterling is playing super well for us and deserves to be our number one winger going forward this season.

If we got Kono it'd give us some options at least. Though I disagree with you and Svia about him, I do think he's better than Yarmolenko after watching a bit more. Maybe "better" isn't the right word but he seems more like he'd fit in with how we play and what we need from wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom