• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri_willy

prob like the look of kono better, and appears to be more versatile upfront, but yes sterling has def improved. a signing or two would help greatly, not sure why we're still linked with montoya, keep hearing conflicted reports of him agreeing to a deal/talks have stalled

GorillaJu

prob like the look of kono better, and appears to be more versatile upfront, but yes sterling has def improved. a signing or two would help greatly, not sure why we're still linked with montoya, keep hearing conflicted reports of him agreeing to a deal/talks have stalled

He wants a better deal and assurances from Barça. Agent talk most likely. Brendan has said we won't be signing a defender this window and I'm inclined to believe him.

Yarmo is a trickier player but he tries to go on his own too much and always wants to score. Kono is more of a playmaker and he gets back to defend well. We have Sturridge and Suarez to score goals - find them and we'll rack up the goals. Kono is really good at finding the forwards. His passing into the box is great.

If we got Kono it'd give us some options at least. Though I disagree with you and Svia about him, I do think he's better than Yarmolenko after watching a bit more. Maybe "better" isn't the right word but he seems more like he'd fit in with how we play and what we need from wingers.

Yarmo is a trickier player but he tries to go on his own too much and always wants to score. Kono is more of a playmaker and he gets back to defend well. We have Sturridge and Suarez to score goals - find them and we'll rack up the goals. Kono is really good at finding the forwards. His passing into the box is great.

This is the danger of forming opinions from highlight videos Morsel. There's no point in comparing the two anyway just because they're both Ukrainian, they don't really play at all alike. Konoplyanka is a typical winger while Yarmolenko is more of an inside forward.

Both are a step above Salah imo though so its a win if Liverpool get Konoplyanka. As for Yarmo, Zenit will be bringing him back home one of these transfer windows (he was born in St. Pete's).

Just watched the game again.

Mata played exactly like Kagawa except he kept trying long passes. Most of them didn't work. That was behind the striker. He'll have it more difficult when playing on the wing. Moyes needs to start telling the players to move otherwise he'll never get the best out of his attacking players.

Just watched the game again.

Mata played exactly like Kagawa except he kept trying long passes. Most of them didn't work. That was behind the striker. He'll have it more difficult when playing on the wing. Moyes needs to start telling the players to move otherwise he'll never get the best out of his attacking players.

He was still paired with a shit midfield

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think we should try and do Draxler and Berbatov if we can. Would be a great window if that happened.
No. Leave Berba with Fulham, I want him to go down to the Championship.
guys, we have the DM we need, a deep lying one :p

read a really interesting article on this last night

The Premier League’s biggest four clubs all picked up talented, young attacking midfielders and converted them into scrappers. The question is: why? There are individual factors in all four cases, of course, but there is also a pattern that is too similar to ignore.

It would be fantastic to think that managers were responding to the increased emphasis upon technical, possession football by asking these four players to occupy much deeper positions, similar to the way Andrea Pirlo was famously reinvented in the “regista” role by Carlo Mazzone at Brescia, having been a brilliant number 10 as a youngster.

The truth is probably less favourable, though: Their managers didn't have faith in the young, inconsistent playmakers and instead converted them into defensive midfielders because of their physique, which English football still looks for over creativity. This was particularly appropriate in the cases of Mikel and Anderson.

Mikel clearly wasn't ever intended to be a Pirlo clone; he’s always been patient and cautious with his distribution for Chelsea, despite playing a more creative role for Nigeria.

Meanwhile, Anderson’s malaise is more self-inflicted, because of concerns about his professionalism and fitness. He was sometimes given an attacking role as the most advanced player in a three-man midfield, but could never produce consistently.

Neither Mikel nor Anderson have completely flopped. Both have six domestic honours, both played a part in a European Cup final victory on penalties and, between them, they have nearly 500 appearances between them with English sides.

However, once upon a time, this duo were among the best young playmakers in the world. Today, comparisons to Messi are long gone, in terms of both quality and style.

English football isn't very good at creating home-grown creative midfielders and, evidently, it isn't any better at developing talented foreign equivalents. For the next generation of Mikels and Andersons, it might be best to develop elsewhere.

Never forget.

j0S9NZo4cyxUA.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivYNl9eYmk

Lightning

Banned
The more I watch this performance the angrier I get. We have got to be satisfied with that result considering we didn't deserve a draw and Wenger hasn't learned anything from our past failures this season.

Our worst performances this season have been away to Napoli, Man United, Southampton. They have been the worst, in all those games Flamini and Arteta were our starting CM pairing. It's become very clear they don't function well together because they both sucked, like they sucked in the other games as well. Monreal had a horror performance and should be dropped immediately for it. Sagna was awful, he got schooled by Shaw, now I know Shaw is a talented player, but Sagna needs to be doing a lot better than that.

Ozil played well second half, suffered in the first like the rest of the squad. Cazorla was alright, Giroud was alright and Gnzbry was nothing special. Aside from the first goal where he will be a bit disappointed Szczesny had a very good game.

The result, not bad. Would have preferred a win but a draw at Southampton is alright. But that performance worries me that we should expect a few more horror days ahead unless we correct some of that crap. Hopefully Wilshere is fit for Liverpool games, he will be much needed.

TeddyBoy

Heitinga is on 70k, that can't be right...

This is correct, my brothers an Everton fan and he's been wanting Heitinga gone for a while now. He barely plays as is taking up a fair bit in wages.

Reflecting on what you said earlier about Mirallas being selfish. That is probably why he seemed to play well yesterday, once Lukaku came off, Naismith posed no threat at all. Miralles just didn't pass to him and went on goal himself (or tried too). You needed that kind of player to go at Liverpool yesterday, but you really needed Barkley to do it and Lukaku to have stayed on the pitch.

Genuine question, how long does Sturridge have to do this for before he's considered one of the top strikers in the world? He's been fantastic all year when he's been fit, but there's a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the goals could just dry up

qindarka

Banned
No. Leave Berba with Fulham, I want him to go down to the Championship.

read a really interesting article on this last night

Mikel's had a good career. There was absolutely no guarantee he would have flourished as an attacking player based on his youth performances. He's done a lot more than most of the players who won awards in youth tournaments.

sohois

Genuine question, how long does Sturridge have to do this for before he's considered one of the top strikers in the world? He's been fantastic all year when he's been fit, but there's a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the goals could just dry up

A good world cup or a few goals in the CL and suddenly everyone would be talking about him.

The more I watch this performance the angrier I get. We have got to be satisfied with that result considering we didn't deserve a draw and Wenger hasn't learned anything from our past failures this season.

Our worst performances this season have been away to Napoli, Man United, Southampton. They have been the worst, in all those games Flamini and Arteta were our starting CM pairing. It's become very clear they don't function well together because they both sucked, like they sucked in the other games as well. Monreal had a horror performance and should be dropped immediately for it. Sagna was awful, he got schooled by Shaw, now I know Shaw is a talented player, but Sagna needs to be doing a lot better than that.

Ozil played well second half, suffered in the first like the rest of the squad. Cazorla was alright, Giroud was alright and Gnzbry was nothing special. Aside from the first goal where he will be a bit disappointed Szczesny had a very good game.

The result, not bad. Would have preferred a win but a draw at Southampton is alright. But that performance worries me that we should expect a few more horror days ahead unless we correct some of that crap. Hopefully Wilshere is fit for Liverpool games, he will be much needed.

Great post, it annoyed me that the commentators kept going on about Arsenal being late. The simple truth is that Arteta is horse shit. He is extremely limited with his attacking passing and should only be used to kill a game when we are 2-0 up. He will suck even more now with Theo gone, who was constantly the only out he could use for any attacking pass, just pop it over the top and hope for Theo to catch it.

To be considered world class he has to be banging in goals against the giants of the PL and doing it in Europe.

He is a very high quality PL striker, but nothing more at the moment.

I'm so sorry Yurt.

Moyes

He can't be stopped.

Yes he can, Moyes got sacked after 4 months in FM14 to be replaced by Hiddink. Wiah United didn't sack him. I got a Juve CL knockout game against them, which I can't wait to get home and play in 40 minutes.

Really wish I had got FM14 earlier. Such a beast of a game.

I already know of Shirokov.

But Miranchuk. What a player. Next Loskov.

Do you know of Shirokov though? Are you aware that he's a world class CB?

8dGlQeTqjkmpLtQiASXLQ.jpg

Beat Bayern 4-0.

Looking back on this, holy shit that Zenit team is so much worse than now.
-Shirokov at CB
-38 year old Gorshkov
-No Arshavin (he was suspended)
-Pog the Log up front

Dont think so. New FIFA is miles better than on PS360 but its still an mediocre arcady football game. PES has some faults but its the overall better football game.

Match day! Time to push the lead up to 17 points on Dortmund :D

New fifa more arcady??? Old pro evo was the ultimate for that. Just give the ball to someone fast and dribble through the whole team and score. Plus it was so much easier to score from distance.

Fifa has always been a better team game. AI isn't great in this version but FIFA 10-12 were really great IMO.

FootballFan

Do you know of Shirokov though? Are you aware that he's a world class CB?

8dGlQeTqjkmpLtQiASXLQ.jpg

Beat Bayern 4-0.

Looking back on this, holy shit that Zenit team is so much worse than now.
-Shirokov at CB
-38 year old Gorshkov
-No Arshavin (he was suspended)
-Pog the Log up front

pls. that zenit team had the traitor Denisov.

#убиватьDenisov

Draconian

You don't consider away to Man City one of your worst performances?

pls. that zenit team had the traitor Denisov.

#убиватьDenisov

Pls, Denisov is a legend. It took him, what less than two weeks to destroy Anzhi from the inside? Secret agent. He'll be back in St. Pete's soon enough just like Kerzhakov, Arshavin and Bystrov all came crawling back.

FootballFan

Pls, Denisov is a legend. It took him, what less than two weeks to destroy Anzhi from the inside? Secret agent. He'll be back in St. Pete's soon enough just like Kerzhakov, Arshavin and Bystrov all came crawling back.

Holy snow. I just checked, didn't know the next games in the RPL are on the 9th of March.

Loko vs Zeni title decider is all the way in May.

People just aren't interested without Loskov in the game, they are waiting for him to finish getting his coaching licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom