• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.
BfIyED4IUAAKW-x.jpg

https://vine.co/v/MuFrPK2ErFu

/dead

That's much more graceful than I expected

Jack cw

According to SKY Germany Holtby is in Düsseldorf to negotiate with his new club. They are specualting its going to be Schalke because Heldt isnt in his office today. But at 3 p.m. there is a press conference in Dortmund with Klopp.

According to SKY Germany Holtby is in Düsseldorf to negotiate with his new club. They are specualting its going to be Schalke because Heldt isnt in his office today. But at 3 p.m. there is a press conference in Dortmund with Klopp.

How is our press conference relevant in this story? There's always a press conference two days before our matches.

Blablurn

lol, way too much hype for a player like Holtby

L1NETT

So what's wrong with Zaha? The English Elia?

Aside from his inability to express emotions with his face

He's rubbish, and was overrated even in the championship!

But English premium + big expectations means he is in danger of John Bostocking and not Ross Barkleying.

ing

This CBOAT thing seems like an overblown pile of nonsense.

Gaming side's motto.

Youtubers accept money to be shady = death to MS. Bizarre.

Have the day off Uni so watching highlights of the game. Mata keeps dropping between Cardiff's defence and midfield to receive the ball, but gets ignored half the time. Makes smart runs behind the defence, gets ignored. Receives the ball and only RVP is moving to create space for the pass. Shambles.

This is a hangover from the Fergie era but I was hoping Moyes would have at least tries to address the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivYNl9eYmk

Pretty much plays exactly like Kagawa. The difference is that his confidence is there and is trying to put his stamp on the game even if things aren't going well. If Kagawa doesn't see a teammate in a good position to pass to, Kagawa will pass it off to another teammate. Mata wasn't afraid.

iKm4ELM8R9kRC.gif

Arnie

Have the day off Uni so watching highlights of the game. Mata keeps dropping between Cardiff's defence and midfield to receive the ball, but gets ignored half the time. Makes smart runs behind the defence, gets ignored. Receives the ball and only RVP is moving to create space for the pass. Shambles.

This is a hangover from the Fergie era but I was hoping Moyes would have at least tries to address the problem.
Watched about 20 minutes in total of the match (before and during half time of the main event) and I noticed exactly the same things. System needs serious structural work. Interesting point from David Downie, a blue who was on the Anfield Wrap prior to the derby, speaking to Merseyside journos at respectable nationals during Moyes' tenure, he just doesn't trust a number 10. He brought the point up because he found it intriguing that he even signed Mata in the first place.

I'm sure Mata will be a success, though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

:(

I hope it's only a loan. He needs to play regularly and then we can decide whether to sell him in the summer.

Jack cw

:(

I hope it's only a loan. He needs to play regularly and then we can decide whether to sell him in the summer.

Dont know if true but I read yesterday that Spurs wont loan Holtby, but only sell him. Thats why Dortmund apparently didnt come to an agreement with Tottenham.

Blablurn

Rummenigge in SportBild: - I hope we can get an agreement with Toni Kroos. We have to find a contract that make Toni and Bayern happy

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dont know if true but I read yesterday that Spurs wont loan Holtby, but only sell him. Thats why Dortmund apparently didnt come to an agreement with Tottenham.

It does seem like that is the case. Are Schalke really going to pay £6m for him a year after selling him for £1.5? I can't see it.

Clegg

Watched about 20 minutes in total of the match (before and during half time of the main event) and I noticed exactly the same things. System needs serious structural work. Interesting point from David Downie, a blue who was on the Anfield Wrap prior to the derby, speaking to Merseyside journos at respectable nationals during Moyes' tenure, he just doesn't trust a number 10. He brought the point up because he found it intriguing that he even signed Mata in the first place.

I'm sure Mata will be a success, though.
I don't think Moyes will play Mata as a 10 if he plays alongside Rooney. He's already mentioned his positional flexibility. But he won't be played as an orthodox winger either as it just wastes his talent. Up to Moyes now on how he'll get the best out of him.

He was decent last night as a 10 and I'd like to see more of him there as he's quite a brilliant player tbh. Don't know how he could do that if both Rooney and RVP are starting though.

Jack cw

Does Kroos play instead of Martinez these days?
Kroos played every game under Pep. Martinez was injured, had a surgery after the Super Cup and was on his way back and is injured again but he came back a few days ago if I recall correct. Martinez played on the 6 against Dortmund in Bundesliga and made a great match. Pep was afraid of their counters, thats why he played. I think once he's 100% fit he'll replace Lahm on the 6 and its Martinez - Kroos - Thiago in Midfield.

Kroos played every game under Pep. Martinez was injured, had a surgery after the Super Cup and was on his way back and is injured again but he came back a few days ago if I recall correct. Martinez played on the 6 against Dortmund in Bundesliga and made a great match. Pep was afraid of their counters, thats why he played.

Ah, was wondering why £25m was considered a lowball. Makes sense if he's a mainstay under Pep.

#freeMartinez

:p

Feorax

I don't think Moyes will play Mata as a 10 if he plays alongside Rooney. He's already mentioned his positional flexibility. But he won't be played as an orthodox winger either as it just wastes his talent. Up to Moyes now on how he'll get the best out of him.

He was decent last night as a 10 and I'd like to see more of him there as he's quite a brilliant player tbh. Don't know how he could do that if both Rooney and RVP are starting though.

He could do what Coutinho did last night, and play as one of a midfield 2 in front of a holding player. Might limit his goal threat, but you're hardly wanting for that with RvP and Rooney. The creativity he would inject into the centre of the park would more than offset that.

Noticed that too. It's the kind of stuff that destroyed Shinji. Thankfully, Mata is more direct, aggressive and capable of playing long balls into the box (i.e. setting up Young with a sitter in the first half). Whether Moyes can sort it out will decide our chances of CL football, especially since Mata will have to start wide with Rooney back.

He could do what Coutinho did last night, and play as one of a midfield 2 in front of a holding player. Might limit his goal threat, but you're hardly wanting for that with RvP and Rooney. The creativity he would inject into the centre of the park would more than offset that.

-------------------------------De Gea----------------------------------

Rafael-------------Vidic-------------Evans-------------------Evra

-------------------------Fletcher---------------------------------------
----------------------------------Carrick--------------------------------

---------------------------------Mata------------------------------------

--------Rooney------------------------------------Januzaj----------

----------------------------Van Persie--------------------------------

That team would get top 4. Fellaini could play in either of those 3 positions as well imo, although you wouldn't want him playing DM for too many games

We should just play Kagawa in midfield. If Jones, Giggs, and Cleverley can play there I don't see why he can't do their job better. In the past the idea was considered bad because it wouldn't get the best out of him, but seeing as he's on the bench anyways, it doesn't matter anymore.

Feorax

Apparently we've made a £25 million bid to sign Draxler.

Chelsea have also apparently dropped interest after signing Salah.

Sounds rather low considering the figures that were being thrown around at the end of last week.

That team would get top 4. Fellaini could play in either of those 3 positions as well imo, although you wouldn't want him playing DM for too many games

That team would be perfect for anyone but Moyes. Moyes seems to have this mental block when it comes to the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, and normally just ends up playing 4-4-1-1 with a slightly deeper second striker (which is why Rooney is perfect there). Creative number 10's tend to just get lost or end up wide, as we've seen with Kagawa, and to a degree with Mata last night.

What could work is having a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2 with Mata and Fellaini as a midfield 2, and either Carrick/Fletcher behind, or Rooney and RVP in front. Using Mata as a deeper playmaker and Fellaini as a box to box CM would be quite effective IMO.

United should try Bayern's system:
Defense
Jones/Carrick (the best true DM you have, no idea who it is to be honest)
Rooney-Mata-Kagawa-Januzaj (no definite roles, players constantly changing positions)
van Persie

No idea if it would work but you'd think those 5 in the front should be able to play great football together.

Apparently we've made a £25 million bid to sign Draxler.

Chelsea have also apparently dropped interest after signing Salah.

25m? Why even bother?

Blablurn

United should try Bayern's system:
Defense
Jones/Carrick (the best true DM you have, no idea who it is to be honest)
Rooney-Mata-Kagawa-Januzaj (no definite roles, players constantly changing positions)
van Persie

No idea if it would work but you'd think those 5 in the front should be able to play great football together.

25m? Why even bother?

Who is your favorite Dortmund player of all time?

pappe

-------------------------------De Gea----------------------------------

Rafael-------------Vidic-------------Evans-------------------Evra

-------------------------Fletcher---------------------------------------
----------------------------------Carrick--------------------------------

---------------------------------Mata------------------------------------

--------Rooney------------------------------------Januzaj----------

----------------------------Van Persie--------------------------------

Rooney anywhere else is not gonna happen. Moyes mentioned he wants to maintain the partnership of Rooney and RVP. I think that means those 2 are definitely gonna be our no.10 and no.9. which leaves Mata on either wing.

Fucking 4-4-2.

Playing Mata in CM is very risky. Our defense needs as much protection as it can get. Mata is not gonna provide any.

Who is your favorite Dortmund player of all time?

Not sure. I'd love to say Zorc considering he spent his whole player career at Dortmund and is still doing a great job for us today. But I must admit I haven't seen all that much of him because I'm too young. Also, every player that stayed when we were down has a special place, like Dede, Kehl or Weidenfeller. Of the current squad, I like Hummels the most I think, hope he gets back in shape again :/

GHG

Where did Mata play last night? Just seen some highlights now and he seemed to pop up deep in the middle more often than not. Did Moyes deploy him in CM?

Rooney anywhere else is not gonna happen. Moyes mentioned he wants to maintain the partnership of Rooney and RVP. I think that means those 2 are definitely gonna be our no.10 and no.9. which leaves Mata on either wing.

Fucking 4-4-2.

As Suarridge showed yesterday, you don't have to be stuck on the wing all game to make it work. There's middle ground. We struggled to find it against Bournemouth, but did it well against Everton.

Pure 4-4-2 comes with too many sacrifices to use it for the sake of Rooney's ego

Blablurn

Not sure. I'd love to say Zorc considering he spent his whole player career at Dortmund and is still doing a great job for us today. But I must admit I haven't seen all that much of him because I'm too young. Also, every player that stayed when we were down has a special place, like Dede, Kehl or Weidenfeller. Of the current squad, I like Hummels the most I think, hope he gets back in shape again :/

I was always surprised about the jump Weidenfeller made in recent years. Back in High School even Dortmund fans called him "Weidenfehler". But he improved big time.

GHG

Wenger Pls:

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 1m
Arsenal in contact with Schalke over Draxler but feeling at #afc is almost £40m should get you a finished product. Özil was seen as that.

No time for principles. Just get it done. Our attack has been blunt over the last few weeks. Gnabry is not ready yet and if you insist on not starting Podolski, we need somebody.

bjaelke

bzHWXwE.jpg

Le Parisien - PSG @le_Parisien_PSG
#PSG : Yohan Cabaye passe sa visite médicale. Plus d'infos ici >>leparisien.fr/psg-foot-paris…

#Cabaye pic.twitter.com/DMHm405VHZ

K1LLER7

Formation is fine 4231 imo. However there is very little movement from players which is ruining things. Moyes needs to start Fletch and Fellani, get fletcher to push up from midfield and let Fellani sit. Wingers should be making more diagonal runs into the box and cutting instead of staying on the touchline.

GorillaJu

bzHWXwE.jpg

Le Parisien - PSG @le_Parisien_PSG
#PSG : Yohan Cabaye passe sa visite médicale. Plus d'infos ici >>leparisien.fr/psg-foot-paris…

#Cabaye pic.twitter.com/DMHm405VHZ

Looks like Pards came with him but died his hair first.

I'm gonna miss Cabaye in the PL. He's a class midfielder that was exciting to watch for the wrong and right reasons both

Looks like Kevin Volland has a 15m release clause in summer.

Kloppo pls

I was always surprised about the jump Weidenfeller made in recent years. Back in High School even Dortmund fans called him "Weidenfehler". But he improved big time.

Not only that, it feels like he improved his personal appearance a lot, too. He seemed a bit like Tim Wiese some years ago but now he's just an awesome guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom