• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So apparently Livermore being recalled was just something the Mail made up. Apparently you can't recall PL loans.

Seems Holtby has been loaned to Fulham but there is no set option to buy in the summer.

Linius

Salzburg was massive, tho.
they have quality talent and looks like the coach is pretty good too. They basically played Heynckes' tactics vs. Barcelona

We're meeting them soon, it probably won't be easy but we should be able to get past them. If we beat them we'll probably meet Basel. Austria and Switzerland is good for traveling, no eastern Europe this time :D

If it makes you feel better Zenit beat Salzburg 1-0 a few days after that
although they dominated us.

We dominated Gala and Trabzonspor and got beat by both :lol

pappe

Someone explain to me how City and Chelsea are buying more midfielders and Moyes and Woodward are doing nothing at all?

Baki

And Arsenal isn't? :lol
Most clubs do this, I don't see what's the problem. Unless you are a huge brand like RM, Barcelona, Bayern or Manchester United, or you have an oil king, you have to sell your players at some point.

You get money out of it, and it opens up a position for a new youth player.

Barcelona = Tax evading cunts
Bayern = Rich kid who buys out all his friends. (and a cunt)
United = Entitled shitbag.
RM = Trustfund cunt.

LegoArmo

Someone explain to me how City and Chelsea are buying more midfielders and Moyes and Woodward are doing nothing at all?

Same reason Ferguson didn't buy midfielders, they want the best, and the best is unavailable.

United really should have signed McCarthy in the summer for Cleverley and some dosh.

Danchi

I do find it bizarre Arsenal would be willing to spend only 40m plus a quid on Suarez, but there's a chance they'll spend 37m on Draxler. That's why I don't see it happening.

Well the release clause was supposed to be over £40m so that's what Arsenal bid. After Liverpool said there's no chance of selling him to a PL club, I guess there seemed little point trying to move forward.

Barzul

I posted earlier that I was surprised by City's move for Fernando. CM was the last position I thought needed another body.

Clegg

Not signing someone isn't the same as not doing anything. Matic and Fernando are good players but if United haven't gone for them it's because they have somebody else in mind. Wait until summer.

Barzul

Barcelona = Tax evading cunts
Bayern = Rich kid who buys out all his friends. (and a cunt)
United = Entitled shitbag.
RM = Trustfund cunt.

Can't really begrudge Bayern of anything. They are exactly what I want Arsenal to be in the next 5 years. They deserve everything they've got so far. United even, as much rivalry between us, they also deserve their success. I do wonder what La Liga would look like if TV money was shared more equally.

pappe

Same reason Ferguson didn't buy midfielders, they want the best, and the best is unavailable.

United really should have signed McArthy in the summer for Cleverley and some dosh.
But any player is an improvement over what we have right now.

Moyes. Pls understand.

Elchele

Can't really begrudge Bayern of anything. They are exactly what I want Arsenal to be in the next 5 years. They deserve everything they've got so far.

MY MAN.

iXpaD28dymtqV.gif

jtb

Banned
I think it comes down to Wenger would rather spend 37m+ on an established WC striker in the summer than a project to convert a LW to striker. We don't have the financial ability to make costly mistakes in the transfer market like some other clubs.

But it wouldn't be a mistake, it would be a calculated gamble just like any other transfer. We have the money so it's not like we would be leveraging our future to buy him—if it doesn't work out, we still have another 30m transfer budget next window. Every transfer could potentially go wrong, that doesn't mean we don't go out and buy new players.

My problem with the whole striker situation is that it's one thing to say we're going to go out and spend 40m on a striker, it's another thing to actually do it. I think the expectation was last summer that we were going to pick up a striker and we didn't get one. Our transfer policy can't be to solely rely on other teams to discard their star players which is why I have no problem rolling the dice on Draxler. if there's one thing Wenger has proven, it's that he is good at developing young players. and beyond striker, we do have a pretty solid core of players so, unlike the past five or so years, we won't be in a perpetual state of rebuilding and when we add players, we'll be improving the squad by default.

Elchele

Midfielder William Kvist and left back Cristian Molinaro have both departed VfB Stuttgart as the transfer window draws to a close, with Kvist going on loan to Fulham FC and Molinaro joining Serie A side Parma. Meanwhile, Stuttgart have brought in youngster Carlos Gruezo from Ecuador.

LOOOOOL PARMA WHAT ARE YOU DOING

pappe

Not signing someone isn't the same as not doing anything. Matic and Fernando are good players but if United haven't gone for them it's because they have somebody else in mind. Wait until summer.
They might have other ideas thats good but whats wrong in signing someone as a stopgap solution. As it is we have plenty of deadwood to get rid of in summer so we can afford other players.

Fergie

Banned
Moyes carrying on the Fergie legend.

Buy a attacking midfielder, sorted.

Can't blame Moyes, pretty hard to finalise the targets he wants in this window, Mata was just a very lucky endeavour.

Barzul

John Cross says Arsene is the one holding up the Draxler deal and the board wants to pay the 37m. If it's Draxler or nothing, might as well pay the RC. We won't have a better go at the league than this. I'd honestly prefer an out and out striker.

Barzul

But it wouldn't be a mistake, it would be a calculated gamble just like any other transfer. We have the money so it's not like we would be leveraging our future to buy him—if it doesn't work out, we still have another 30m transfer budget next window. Every transfer could potentially go wrong, that doesn't mean we don't go out and buy new players.

My problem with the whole striker situation is that it's one thing to say we're going to go out and spend 40m on a striker, it's another thing to actually do it. I think the expectation was last summer that we were going to pick up a striker and we didn't get one. Our transfer policy can't be to solely rely on other teams to discard their star players which is why I have no problem rolling the dice on Draxler. if there's one thing Wenger has proven, it's that he is good at developing young players. and beyond striker, we do have a pretty solid core of players so, unlike the past five or so years, we won't be in a perpetual state of rebuilding and when we add players, we'll be improving the squad by default.

Tbh I agree with and I'd pay the 37m if there's no possibility of bringing in a more out and out striker.

wedward

honestly, if we don't buy Draxler, it's not like we will be buying anyone else—so why should I care if we're paying for potential and his release clause doesn't accurately reflect his current value? we should pay the release clause and we should do it now, rather than wait for other clubs to take him in the summer.

I think it's obvious that if you pay the money, you're buying both the potential and the right to be the only bidder for his signature (since, let's face it, if other clubs come in during the summer, he will go to them).

if his release clause only activates in the summer, then Draxler isn't coming to Arsenal. it's that simple.

It activates in summer.

Baki

Can't really begrudge Bayern of anything. They are exactly what I want Arsenal to be in the next 5 years. They deserve everything they've got so far. United even, as much rivalry between us, they also deserve their success. I do wonder what La Liga would look like if TV money was shared more equally.

Nah, Bayern play dirty. They purposely sabotage their own league. But they are much better than the other cunts. Also my distaste for United does not need to be logical.

Dortmund is actually my second favourite European team. It's a shame they don't have more money. It's amazing what they have accomplished.

What were they last year? Same thing?

Forever and always.

wedward

I do find it bizarre Arsenal would be willing to spend only 40m plus a quid on Suarez, but there's a chance they'll spend 37m on Draxler. That's why I don't see it happening.

We thought he had a release clause. There are rumors we bid 50 for Suarez, but at that point Liverpool refused to sell him to us at any price.

John Cross says Arsene is the one holding up the Draxler deal and the board wants to pay the 37m. If it's Draxler or nothing, might as well pay the RC. We won't have a better go at the league than this. I'd honestly prefer an out and out striker.

Wenger is so fucking cheap. He'd be perfect for the Liverpool transfer committee.

Baki

Wenger doesn't want to be taken for a ride but it's his fault for leaving it till the last day. Yeah, £37m buys you a Mata. But we don't have much choice when you are on deadline day.

Barzul

I just hope Wilshere is recovered by the Liverpool game. We really missed him vs Soton. If we had our players fit and Flamini wasn't such an idiot, I wouldn't be as worried about our run in. But they aren't and Flamini is, so we need to add.

wedward

John Cross has shown many a time that he doesn't know what the fuck is going on.

I just hope Wilshere is recovered by the Liverpool game. We really missed him vs Soton. If we had our players fit and Flamini wasn't such an idiot, I wouldn't be as worried about our run in. But they aren't and Flamini is, so we need to add.

He trained today.

If that is true than this sport is in more trouble than anyone thought possible.

Wilbur

Banned
Wearing their United suits...to lunch...what?

Fuck man I'm gonna be heart broken when we sell Shinji. Fucked this up so badly. Just go somewhere and be happy.

Just didn't work out. I'd like him to go and play elsewhere, yeah. But he's to blame as well, not like he hasn't had some good chances and hasn't taken advantage of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom