• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stylistically, Zouma is like the midpoint of Varane and Sakho. He's got the pace and maturity (though nowhere near the same passing ability) of the former, and the power of the latter (though not as aggressive). His vertical leap is obscene, better than the aforementioned pair. He gets so high and just hangs there for ages.

Quite irritated he's going to Chelsea, and for so cheap too. We enquired last year and I was honestly expecting us to go back in (BFG and Kos are 28+, Vermaelen has 1.5 years left, surely won't renew - we need a good young CB). Considering Arsene admitted he was disappointed to miss out on Varane, I'm not sure how and why he's letting this go, but oh well. Maybe he wants that Kouyate kid from Anderlecht or something.

Don't know much about Mangala, but you can't really doubt Porto's scouting network at this point. It's possibly the best in Europe.

Clegg

If his price ends up being £28m, I'd be pretty happy with that. Less than Rio cost you guys and he has already played in the Champions League.
Ferdinand was already one of the best defenders in the league when he signed for United. No such assurances with Mangala.

omgkitty

Stylistically, Zouma is like the midpoint of Varane and Sakho. He's got the pace and maturity (though nowhere near the same passing ability) of the former, and the power of the latter (though not as aggressive). His vertical leap is obscene, better than the aforementioned pair. He gets so high and just hangs there for ages.

Quite irritated he's going to Chelsea, and for so cheap too. We enquired last year and I was honestly expecting us to go back in (BFG and Kos are 28+, Vermaelen has 1.5 years left, surely won't renew - we need a good young CB). Considering Arsene admitted he was disappointed to miss out on Varane, I'm not sure how and why he's letting this go, but oh well. Maybe he wants that Kouyate kid from Anderlecht or something.

Don't know much about Mangala, but you can't really doubt Porto's scouting network at this point. It's possibly the best in Europe.

I know right? Promising young player playing in France that Arsenal have been watching for years now. Time comes to pull the trigger, Arsenal say "meh" and he goes to Chelsea. Now where have I heard that before???

So do I, but I'm a little perplexed that he has such a small influence when shifted ten yards to the left. That can't just be on United's problems, he doesn't grab a game by the scruff of the neck and do something about it.

The best way to describe Shinji is that he makes good teams play better. He can't drag teams from a bad performance to a good performance.

If United play shit football due to no movement by the rest of the players, Shinji will be extremely passive. He's not like Rooney who will have an impact regardless of the player's actions around him. Rooney will fire off a shot from far away to get goals. Rooney will score on freekicks. Rooney will rack up assists from corners.

United right now rely on individual brilliance.

Wilbur

Banned
The best way to describe Shinji is that he makes good teams play better. He can't drag teams from a bad performance to a good performance.

If United play shit football due to no movement by the rest of the players, Shinji will be extremely passive. He's not like Rooney who will have an impact regardless of the player's actions around him. Rooney will fire off a shot from far away to get goals. Rooney will score on freekicks. Rooney will rack up assists from corners.

United right now rely on individual brilliance.

We played well a fair amount last season and he wasn't particularly impressive either, but I agree the rest of the team doesn't help him or is set up to utilise him properly. It's a shame, but it highlights his limitations as a player.

All the best young CB's getting signed up. Time for United to finally give Jones a run there.

It's so ridiculous. I remember United were about to get Varane, but Liverpool were trying to get Jones that same summer and forced United to buy him then. Varane was then lured away from Old Trafford because of the Jones signing and Zidane speaking to him.

Years later and Jones doesn't even play as a cb!

Clegg

It's so ridiculous. I remember United were about to get Varane, but Liverpool were trying to get Jones that same summer and forced United to buy him then. Varane was then lured away from Old Trafford because of the Jones signing and Zidane speaking to him.

Years later and Jones doesn't even play as a cb!
I think he'll get his chance soon enough. Our shit midfield hampers his opportunities at CB. It's a right pisser.

He's only 21 though. Still has time on his side.

Meier

Ferdinand was already one of the best defenders in the league when he signed for United. No such assurances with Mangala.
Very true and an excellent point. I don't think there's any scenario where he'd leave Portugal for much less than £30m for a very long time though unfortunately. City have been tracking him for a long time so I'd be thrilled at the lower price if it goes through. Guess we'll see.

Danchi

Is it a scouting network or a little black book filled with lots of names of agents working in S. America? I might be ignorant on this, but isn't the reason Porto get all these talented players that they agree to own a small fraction of their rights. Basically acting as a middle man/finishing school to push these guys on to the highest bidder and continue making money for people like Jorge Mendes.

Elchele

Leverkusen network is quite good too, but they don't have money to sign the players haha.

I should be a Porto scout at this point. Someone sign Franco Zuculini already pls. Too easy really.

Newell's has a lot of talent too, specially on the wings

We played well a fair amount last season and he wasn't particularly impressive either, but I agree the rest of the team doesn't help him or is set up to utilise him properly. It's a shame, but it highlights his limitations as a player.

I disagree. Last season our football was shit too, although not as shit as this season. That's why "Clank" has become a meme in this thread. Our movement has been dire the past 2 seasons. The difference is that despite playing shit football we would win.

Leverkusen, and Swansea (2nd half) were our best team performances and Shinji was one of the best players in those games. His performances against Real Sociedad were also MOTM worthy. Some games he was the best performing attacking player, but was subbed out at half time or after half time (West Brom, Swansea). The other performances were just boring shit with about 2-3 dire performances.

But it does highlight his problem. If United can't play good football, his only good attribute is that he's like a 3rd midfielder out there. He'll never win games by himself and right now that is what United need. He really is a luxury player right now, and it would be best for him to leave from a footballing standpoint. I would still like to keep him as a squad player though and it remains to be seen whether he will accept less money to go elsewhere and lose prestige from playing in a club smaller than United.

K1LLER7

Mike Keegan ‏@mikekeeganmen 6m
Without wanting to deflate, and this could be a swerve, was told not to expect any incomings at #mufc tomorrow.

Yes!: No Otamendi

No!: Nobody else :'(

K1LLER7

Depending on whether Moyes changes the philosophy of this teams playing style, will depend on how effective Shinji and Mata are for United. Hopefully this current style of slow passing, little movement and constant wing play will change in the coming months.

Scum

Otamendi is a CB but I remember him playing RB for Argentina when Germany had their way with them in the last World Cup.
What the hell? Zouma deal done?? Damn, 'Quiche.

Jarnet87

Depending on whether Moyes changes the philosophy of this teams playing style, will depend on how effective Shinji and Mata are for United. Hopefully this current style of slow passing, little movement and constant wing play will change in the coming months.

He won't short of Valencia getting hurt. Moyes is just as in love with Valencia as Fergie was. Such strength, such run, such stamina, such England.

Batigol

Banned
Frogie pls

"It was a very, very difficult moment for me because I was in love with Manchester and I was a Mancunian.

"It was the match against Blackburn in December 2011 at Old Trafford. "Paul Scholes had retired, Darren Fletcher was injured. There was no one left to play in midfield. And I was training and I was beginning to get better bit by bit and the coach never stopped telling me, 'You're this far'.

"And I didn't understand. This far away from what? Playing? From having some playing time? From getting on the field? Or what?

"And there was Rafael in midfield and I was disgusted. I was disgusted and I didn't get on either."

"I'd lost that thing, that relation that I had with the coach. I was really disappointed, really disappointed.

"I was pushed. My eyes were opened. I'd made this decision to sign with Juventus. There was nothing to regret."

xCZv8qC.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
Some fun and games going on with West Ham and Fulham.

Fulham have agreed a fee with Olympiakos for Mitroglou. West Ham are trying to gazump them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom