• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie

Banned
With all these permanent deals I am curious to know whether there is any buy back clauses in their contracts. I mean why would you spend years developing youngsters and then just flog half the team in one window.
Especially for Cole hopefully.

I wouldn't mind Fabio back, but it isn't likely.

wedward

In January, nobody.

But there's two points. You shouldn't just limit yourself to signing players who are "available". But more importantly than that, Arsenal should have secured a better striker in the summer and the one before that when Giroud actually arrived.

Chelsea have been equally poor at sorting their problem - so what. Other teams have strengthen their strike-force. Both Arsenal and Chelsea could have done so and it's been an oversight by both. They may well be waiting for a specific type of player...which is fair enough, you don't buy someone you don't want.

Being picky goes both ways, though.

So we should chase players who aren't available? Fabregas?

When I say available I mean the player wants to move. I don't mean the club have them in the shop window.

I think Arsenal are being picky about who they buy. That's what I have been saying the whole time. Wenger isn't going to buy a striker unless he thinks they are better than Giroud.

Really, the only striker I feel like we missed on was Negredo, but no one expected him to turn out like this.

pappe

Down the stretch when they are facing teams fighting off relegation they certainly will. And isn't that exactly what grinding out results is? Beating teams that set up like that. Winning ugly?

Imo grinding out results would be mamaging to win by 1-0 by playing badly.

Well you think Swansea are going to finish eighth, and Newcastle ARE eighth, so they're tough games. Southampton and Bayern as well, can't just say "no tough games" when Mourinho's just dropped two points at home to West Ham. .

I think we shouldn't read much into the game against West Ham. Chelseas attackers had a bad day at the office(8 or 9 shots on target out of 30 something is just horrible) and West Ham were not even looking to play football. Dont think that will happen often. Mou wont let it happen IMHO.

Of course there are no easy games. Swansea were without Michu their main star and Newcastle were robbed. Southampton and Bayern were good results no doubt.

When I say available I mean the player wants to move. I don't mean the club have them in the shop window.

I think Arsenal are being picky about who they buy. That's what I have been saying the whole time. Wenger isn't going to buy a striker unless he thinks they are better than Giroud.

Really, the only striker I feel like we missed on was Negredo, but no one expected him to turn out like this.

Villa and Tevez were available in the summer for modest prices.

Higuain was available albeit for more than he's worth.

And then there's Diego Costa who had that ~£20m release clause last summer.

IMO all these options were decent to good ones and would have seen Arsenal and Chelsea pick up more points than they have now.

Feorax

I'm worried that we won't analyse what went wrong unless we miss out on the top 4.

Regardless of what happens from here on in, we've missed out on 5 major targets in 2 windows in a very public manner. That represents a massive problem, and would still be a massive problem if we even inexplicably managed to win the league.

Scum

I'm worried that we won't analyse what went wrong unless we miss out on the top 4.

Regardless of what happens from here on in, we've missed out on 5 major targets in 2 windows in a very public manner. That represents a massive problem, and would still be a massive problem if we even inexplicably managed to win the league.

Feorax, pls.

1. City
2. Chelsea
4. Liverpool
7. Tottingham

Barzul

I absolutely think it's negligence.

They have all that money, which as you say they've spent, and yet they still don't have a top striker. They should have sorted it by now.

I don't quite understand your argument - that there aren't good strikers out there?

There aren't any available in January that's for sure. Or else Chelsea or Arsenal would've bought one.

Wilbur

Banned
Swansea will not finish 8th. More likely to finish 18th.

Top nine is set in terms of teams, I think. Maybe we'll see one or two changes - Newcastle losing Cabaye and recent Southampton turmoil might lead to a few dropped points - but certainly the top 3 are locked, and 4-7 are. Just depends where they finish up.

so we sold Rodrigo for 30€ million.

Jorge Mendes involved. get this:

he bought Gomes for 15€ and sold him for the same price to a management company called Meriton Capital Limited and now did the same with Rodrigo.
they already have clubs who purchased them off Meriton Capital Limited, but one of the things that Mendes arranged was that both players will only be allowed to leave after the season ends.
so we made 45€ million out of 2 players, whom will stay with Benfica till the season ends and then will head straight to their new clubs during the summer.

Scum

he bought Gomes for 15€ and sold him for the same price to a management company called Meriton Capital Limited and now did the same with Rodrigo.
they already have clubs who purchased them off Meriton Capital Limited, but one of the things that Mendes arranged was that both players will only be allowed to leave after the season ends.
so we made 45€ million out of 2 players, whom will stay with Benfica till the season ends and then will head straight to their new clubs during the summer.

I'm in the wrong fucking job.

omgkitty

The fact of the matter is that Arsenal need a world class striker who's going to come in to games and say "look, I'm going to win this fucking game" and they do it. Someone like Henry. Obviously, it's not as simple as saying we're going to sign the next Henry, but we need someone like that. I feel like Arsenal are finally getting back to those ways of the early 2000's with those kinds of players who are going to put everything out there to win a game. You've got players like Mertesacker and Flamini yelling, and Ramsey and Wilshere have both shown they can turn it on and try to win us a game when it needs it, but neither of them are exactly clinical goal scorers.

The real problem comes down to who exactly is that player, and can we realistically expect Arsenal to pay whatever it costs to make it happen. I really feel like there's a lack of available options coming up. Who do we have:

Falcao - I have no idea if this is even plausible as there are rumblings he doesn't want to stay at Monaco, but I don't think we'd pay whatever ridiculous money he would cost.

Benzema - I mean let's be honest, is he a world class striker? Giroud starts ahead of him for France.

Mandzukic - I could see this happening.

Dzeko - Also possible if Man City are willing to play ball. We've given them plenty of our players over the years though.

Diego Costa - Guy is a beast, but he's only had one good season in Spain, and who knows if he could keep up that kind of form in England. Also with every other rich team in football keeping tabs on him, seriously doubt Arsene would pay what it would take to get him.

Jackson Martinez - Never seen him play, but supposed to be good

Benteke - Kinda been disappointing this season, but could mean Aston Villa won't be so vehemently against him leaving this time if the right bid comes in.

So you see there are some good players there, but how many are we even interested in, and who do we even have an actual shot at? IDK I just feel like there were a few great strikers we could have had a real shot at last summer if Arsene had just loosened the purse strings a little bit, and most of these players were available then as well, but we wasted so much time on fucking Suarez.

I'm so glad that we weren't the ones scammed into paying 30 million for Rodrigo. Gazprom is learning. We might come back for Garay though.

Batigol

Banned
There aren't any available in January that's for sure. Or else Chelsea or Arsenal would've bought one.

You didn't need to buy a top striker in January. Just someone who's better than Bendtner

There are tons of strikers available who fit that bill

Yen

BfWXtrpCMAAAUgt.jpg

K1LLER7

United play Real Madrid, Inter, and Roma in preseason.

So we are signing Ronaldo, Guarin and Pjanic

pretty tame window overall.

Mata best signing :p

Chelsea building a strong, young team for the future. Could see them add Shaw & Cortouise to that in the summer.

Barzul

You didn't need to buy a top striker in January. Just someone who's better than Bendtner

There are tons of strikers available who fit that bill

That's the thing though. Wenger only wants to sign a striker who is better than Bendtner and Giroud. Which makes me suspect Bendtner might be getting a new contract with us.
I hope not

wedward

Villa and Tevez were available in the summer for modest prices.

Higuain was available albeit for more than he's worth.

And then there's Diego Costa who had that ~£20m release clause last summer.

IMO all these options were decent to good ones and would have seen Arsenal and Chelsea pick up more points than they have now.

Tried to get Villa but Barca refused.

Honestly don't think Tevez had any interest staying in England.

Looking back we should have wrapped up Higuain sooner and this is a big regret. But ultimately we got wind that Suarez may have been available and tried to jump on that. Glad we didn't end up paying 40 for Higuain.

Costa was an unknown and at the time I don't think anyone would have said he takes us to the next level. Hindsight and all that.

We went after Suarez because we were led to believe we could get him. He would have taken us to the next level. It didn't work out but it was worth a shot.

wedward

The fact of the matter is that Arsenal need a world class striker who's going to come in to games and say "look, I'm going to win this fucking game" and they do it. Someone like Henry. Obviously, it's not as simple as saying we're going to sign the next Henry, but we need someone like that. I feel like Arsenal are finally getting back to those ways of the early 2000's with those kinds of players who are going to put everything out there to win a game. You've got players like Mertesacker and Flamini yelling, and Ramsey and Wilshere have both shown they can turn it on and try to win us a game when it needs it, but neither of them are exactly clinical goal scorers.

The real problem comes down to who exactly is that player, and can we realistically expect Arsenal to pay whatever it costs to make it happen. I really feel like there's a lack of available options coming up. Who do we have:

Falcao - I have no idea if this is even plausible as there are rumblings he doesn't want to stay at Monaco, but I don't think we'd pay whatever ridiculous money he would cost.

Benzema - I mean let's be honest, is he a world class striker? Giroud starts ahead of him for France.

Mandzukic - I could see this happening.

Dzeko - Also possible if Man City are willing to play ball. We've given them plenty of our players over the years though.

Diego Costa - Guy is a beast, but he's only had one good season in Spain, and who knows if he could keep up that kind of form in England. Also with every other rich team in football keeping tabs on him, seriously doubt Arsene would pay what it would take to get him.

Jackson Martinez - Never seen him play, but supposed to be good

Benteke - Kinda been disappointing this season, but could mean Aston Villa won't be so vehemently against him leaving this time if the right bid comes in.

So you see there are some good players there, but how many are we even interested in, and who do we even have an actual shot at? IDK I just feel like there were a few great strikers we could have had a real shot at last summer if Arsene had just loosened the purse strings a little bit, and most of these players were available then as well, but we wasted so much time on fucking Suarez.

The most frustrating thing is we need a world class striker so badly and I just don't see that many that are available and would take us to the next level. We need a striker and a real DM to take Arteta/Flamini's spot before I think we can make a good run at the CL.

jtb

Banned
Don't think Tevez or Villa were realistic options. However, Jovetic, Soldado, Negredo all moved to England in the summer for reasonable, realistic prices. And I think all three would perform well to very well at Arsenal (and probably all do better than Giroud). Biggest question mark of those three would be Jovetic, if only for his constant fitness issues.

obviously I didn't mind going after Suarez, but Wenger and the board are so narrow in their focus, they really only seem capable of going after one target at a time and it's so short-sighted and has cost us from reinforcing on so many different occasions. there needs to be some kind of structure at Arsenal with a DOF like figure (a competent Dick Law, if you will) that can find targets for Wenger and conduct a more coherent transfer strategy with multiple pieces moving at the same time because our current structure is just so woefully inefficient and ineffective.

also, re: Suarez, I thought all summer long that we should have gone after Rooney instead. I think he was more realistic than Suarez and frankly I think he's a better player. Very disappointing that we didn't even make any kind of bid for him.

I've been saying for years that I really want Dzeko at Arsenal. Every year he seems to be on the way out of City and every year he never leaves. I don't know if Wenger sees him as an unrealistic target or damaged goods, or if City simply won't sell to domestic rivals, but he'd be my number one target if we could get him. Otherwise, you'd have to look at the usual suspects—Costa, Benzema, maybe Mandzukic. Players like Suarez, Falcao, (and maybe Costa is in this category) even if they are available, are simply too high profile for Arsenal to beat other clubs too so we'll have to look at more CL castoffs like Cazorla, Ozil all over again. I don't think bringing in a WC striker is a necessity because I do have a lot of faith in Theo, but we do need to bring some kind of quality forward in because we need the depth.

K1LLER7

Moyes believes that Mata can play anywhere across the attacking three he fields in United's usual 4-2-3-1 shape. "Any one of the three I am comfortable to put him in. He did it for Chelsea and I can play him in any of those three roles," said the manager, who believes his big-name trio's ability to interchange positions with ease can bring a fluidity to United's play in the second part of the campaign. "Football is changing as the game goes on. Players change themselves," said Moyes. "There is a lot more movement especially with the forward players. They still have to play in a framework and from that framework you allow it to develop themselves."

Moyes saying the right things the past 2 weeks. Hopefully we get to see some of this movement tomorrow.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
BBC Did an interesting winners and losers of the transfer period, a bit harsh given its January, not like the bbc to be this click baitey, either way here is the key ones.

Winners
United
Manchester United manager David Moyes went for quality not quantity in January. One signing. One high-class player in Juan Mata at a club-record fee of £37m from Chelsea.
Mata may not solve United's major problems - a creaking defence and a midfield short of a world-class player - but his arrival has changed the mood at Old Trafford and proved Moyes and chief executive Ed Woodward can get the big deals over the line.
He could be a game-changer, not in the context of retaining their title but by lifting United's hopes of making the top four and securing a place in next season's Champions League - unless they win this season's competition, of course.

Losers
Liverpool
Liverpool's month of frustration was encapsulated in the final moments of the window when the £15m deal to sign FC Dnipro forward Yevhen Konoplyanka could not be completed.
Managing director Ian Ayre flew to Ukraine to try and secure the "major signing" manager Brendan Rodgers wanted as the Reds continue their push for a place in the Premier League top four.
The fact he will return empty-handed will be a source of real disappointment for Liverpool and their fans, especially after seeing Mohamed Salah move to Chelsea in an £11m deal after he emerged as a top target for Rodgers.
It seems the Konoplyanka deal fell through when Dnipro did not sign off the relevant paperwork, and Rodgers must now press ahead with the squad that has served him well and hope an unsuccessful January transfer window does not impact on the rest of their season.

Arsenal
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger decided against making a big January signing - and the wisdom of his decision to keep his powder dry will be judged at the end of the season.
Wenger's only deal was to bring in Spartak Moscow's experienced Swedish midfield man Kim Kallstrom on loan after deciding not to press on with a deal for Schalke's Julian Draxler.
Perhaps Wenger's biggest gamble has been his decision not to bring in a striker, even on loan, to add to attacking resources that look vulnerable to injuries.
Wenger has cast-iron faith in his Arsenal squad but they have a fierce programme ahead in the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup. Has he left himself short?

K1LLER7

Dzeko would be fucking brilliant for Arsenal! Everyone seems to forget just how good he was in Germany.

in the span of one week? No shower can wash away all this merda I'm afraid.

We will beat all 3 for you, Yurt. Dat Guy Welbz to score in every game.

Ronnie vs United again :D

Barzul

I think Dzeko is definitely off in the summer. And I'd definitely take him at Arsenal. Not sure if City would sell to us though, but who besides us would want him though? Dortmund maybe?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
People keep saying City's away form is duff but they haven't lost in all competitions for 20 games now.

5 wins in their last 6 away games!

Also guys. Give me a sexy song to play in the background tomorrow while I'm in a thong and downing a dirty pint.

I was going to say Tupac but you're too pasty for that innit

What's sexy in the House of Rhodes? Hip Hop? GnR John Mayer?
3AQmK.gif

Wilbur

Banned
5 wins in their last 6 away games!

I was going to say Tupac but you're too pasty for that innit

What's sexy in the House of Rhodes? Hip Hop? GnR John Mayer?
3AQmK.gif

Maybe I'll just be cliche and go with some Marvin Gaye. Or the Green Hornet theme tune. That's sexy, right?

Right?

I really want them to keep Lukaku, a player of his size, speed and strength is something that could do wonders for this team. Hated the loan this season, and selling him would be fucking dreadful.

They need to keep Lukaku and bring back Drogba to train him. And bring back Sturridge.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh my that was a good one. If Chelsea does decide to come after him, they better come with that £50 million.

BBC Did an interesting winners and losers of the transfer period, a bit harsh given its January, not like the bbc to be this click baitey, either way here is the key ones.

Winners
United
Manchester United manager David Moyes went for quality not quantity in January. One signing. One high-class player in Juan Mata at a club-record fee of £37m from Chelsea.
Mata may not solve United's major problems - a creaking defence and a midfield short of a world-class player - but his arrival has changed the mood at Old Trafford and proved Moyes and chief executive Ed Woodward can get the big deals over the line.
He could be a game-changer, not in the context of retaining their title but by lifting United's hopes of making the top four and securing a place in next season's Champions League - unless they win this season's competition, of course.

Isn't Mata cup tied?

Lambda baby, who is buying Rodrigo?

Also, congrats on the new job/commiserations on the old job

i still don't know if i'm gonna take the new job in March, i might as well take a few months off and enjoy the summer with my daughter.

if i had to guess, Gomes is headin... HOLY SHIT YOU'RE BACK FROM THE BAN!!

Gomes is heading to Monaco or PL and Rodrigo to Spain or Italy, those are my guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom