• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Surprisingly keen on this first lot of games.

Ole might deploy ZahALLAH. Villa are going to make us all proud and nick points off that sack of on-loan wankers. Newcastle are going to lose spectacularly.

5HHvYAR.gif

Afraid of Hull ?

Yep. :-/

sohois

Makes me wonder.

16m isn't an insignificant amount, have to assume that the funds were there in the circumstances of panic-buying and simply rating Konoplyanka higher than Salah. Imagine we went for Salah as he was more readily available.

That money has to be added to the summer fund, rather than replacing it. A battleship is nothing without a sufficient warchest :p

I truly hope that Rodgers has some masterplan in mind to justify the lack of effort to bring a DM in. And hopefully not the type of masterplan he had before the Villa match.

The DM situation seems extremely clear to me, I'm surprised other people can't see it.

First of all, in the summer Liverpool's budget would probably be around £80million with Champions League.

There are 3 (well 4) positions that Liverpool will look to reinforce in the summer. Fullbacks, Defensive midfield & Attacker/Winger. Fullbacks are very rarely big money signings, and other than Luke Shaw there are no likely FBs that would cost much more than £10mil. Even if Liverpool buy both sides I don't see them spending more than £25million. Then you look at the attacking players Liverpool are going for, again not super expensive, they don't need to be when you're already struggling to fit Suarez, Sturridge, Stirling & Coutinho in a team.

That leaves a pretty large amount to spend on a defensive midfielder. This winter the money wasn't available, the players weren't available in that range. Sure, Liverpool could have bought in a decent option like Fernando or gambled on M'vila, but there is a very low chance that such options would turn out to be a drastic improvement on Lucas. In any case, most likely by summer Liverpool would end up with 2 fairly good, but not world class, DMs. By waiting until summer Liverpool can instead sign up a £30m standard DM and get someone who's a far surer bet of being the World Class midfielder Liverpool want.

The only real option for the position was a loan, but it's easier said than done. Clubs aren't rushing to loan out defensive midfielders of top 4 quality, far more likely you end up with another Cissokho.

The DM situation seems extremely clear to me, I'm surprised other people can't see it.

First of all, in the summer Liverpool's budget would probably be around £80million with Champions League.

There are 3 (well 4) positions that Liverpool will look to reinforce in the summer. Fullbacks, Defensive midfield & Attacker/Winger. Fullbacks are very rarely big money signings, and other than Luke Shaw there are no likely FBs that would cost much more than £10mil. Even if Liverpool buy both sides I don't see them spending more than £25million. Then you look at the attacking players Liverpool are going for, again not super expensive, they don't need to be when you're already struggling to fit Suarez, Sturridge, Stirling & Coutinho in a team.

That leaves a pretty large amount to spend on a defensive midfielder. This winter the money wasn't available, the players weren't available in that range. Sure, Liverpool could have bought in a decent option like Fernando or gambled on M'vila, but there is a very low chance that such options would turn out to be a drastic improvement on Lucas. In any case, most likely by summer Liverpool would end up with 2 fairly good, but not world class, DMs. By waiting until summer Liverpool can instead sign up a £30m standard DM and get someone who's a far surer bet of being the World Class midfielder Liverpool want.

The only real option for the position was a loan, but it's easier said than done. Clubs aren't rushing to loan out defensive midfielders of top 4 quality, far more likely you end up with another Cissokho.

Who are these DMs who fall into the category between the realistic likes of M'Vila, and the unrealistic likes of Martinez, who weren't available in January but will be in the summer? I'm genuiely clueless as to a single player who fits into that category? Gambling on getting into the CL and that being sufficient leverage to sign a clear improvement on Lucas is a hell of a risk.

Wilbur

Banned
Fair play to Aragones for winning a load of shit but he also said all that racist malarkey about Henry. Thoughts with family and friends.

Fell asleep at half 4 last night, up at 8 for a work meeting. Gonna have to have a kip before the United match when I'm home I think.

sohois

Who are these DMs who fall into the category between the realistic likes of M'Vila, and the unrealistic likes of Martinez, who weren't available in January but will be in the summer? I'm genuiely clueless as to a single player who fits into that category? Gambling on getting into the CL and that being sufficient leverage to sign a clear improvement on Lucas is a hell of a risk.

Eh? Once Liverpool are in the CL they'll have vastly more options, and clubs will be much more willing to sell in the summer. I don't really follow European football enough to know, but a few examples that spring to mind would be Strootman, Asamoah, L Bender or Rakitic.

Fair play to Aragones for winning a load of shit but he also said all that racist malarkey about Henry. Thoughts with family and friends.

Fell asleep at half 4 last night, up at 8 for a work meeting. Gonna have to have a kip before the United match when I'm home I think.
I went on a date. Got really drunk, don't remember coming home, waiting on a text back to see how it went.

I'm not confident.

Salazar

Spent much of today scrubbing up my bike to sell it. In order to raise funds to live, if not like a king then at least like an obese baron, while I'm in the UK. I've just put "very good condition" on the advert, and I'll stare down any fucker who wants to say otherwise on inspection.

Got a paella on the go, and estimating I'll need about seven cups of tea and a pack of Delta Creams to make it through. Especially if Young/Giggs/Valencia/Jones/Ferdinand feature heavily.

I went on a date. Got really drunk, don't remember coming home, waiting on a text back to see how it went.

I'm not confident.

This tends to bother me the most. I couldn't be arsed about the romance side of things by comparison.

Wilbur

Banned
Spent much of today scrubbing up my bike to sell it. In order to raise funds to live, if not like a king then at least like an obese baron, while I'm in the UK. I've just put "very good condition" on the advert, and I'll stare down any fucker who wants to say otherwise on inspection.

Got a paella on the go, and estimating I'll need about seven cups of tea and a pack of Delta Creams to make it through. Especially if Young/Giggs/Valencia/Jones/Ferdinand feature heavily.

Don't be hating on Phil or I'll fucking key your bike.

Eh? Once Liverpool are in the CL they'll have vastly more options, and clubs will be much more willing to sell in the summer. I don't really follow European football enough to know, but a few examples that spring to mind would be Strootman, Asamoah, L Bender or Rakitic.

Would you not agree that by declining the oppurtunity to bolster our DM options for the rest of the seson, we've pretty heavily jeapordised the chances of that becoming a factor though?

M'Vila would have fitted into any of 4 categories, 3 of which would have been satisfactory for the remainder of the season at least

1) Not good enough
2) Backup for Lucas
3) Competition for Lucas
4) Better than Lucas

Obviously it would have presented a problem in the summer as we'd probably still be looking to upgrade on either DM, and would need to probably lose Lucas or M'Vila to maintain a balanced squad/wage sheet, and that may have been difficult if we decided M'Vila was the more expendable of the two

I think that would have been risk worth taking to solidifiy our chances of finishing 4th or higher this season though.

Finishing inthe CL spot and signing one of the players you mentioned is the ideal of course, but I just fear it'll be irrelevant when we actually get to the summer if teams have the know-how to exploit our lack of a single bona fide DM in the squad

Salazar

Don't be hating on Phil or I'll fucking key your bike.

As a CB, he is largely golden. In midfield - why the fuck. It's like some hippy mother who wants to teach her toddler to sign instead of speak. Just get on with what he's supposed to be doing.

Apparently talksport were talking about us sending Flanagan on loan for the remainder of the season. Have to imagine that;s a case of crossed wires with the McLaughlin extension.
Flanagan's been our best rightback and leftback this season :p

Wilbur

Banned
As a CB, he is largely golden. In midfield - why the fuck. It's like some hippy mother who wants to teach her toddler to sign instead of speak.

Agreed, but Moyes seems to have the same idea that I do (albeit I have it waking up in the night in sweats before deciding it's an inevitability); we have no midfield capable of playing football. Let's stop the other midfield playing football. Put a dirty rotter like Jones on the might of Charlie Adam today, stop the flow of intricate passing to Jon Walters. Innit.

Sal?

sal?

Blablurn

I hope Liverpool returns into the CL. Would be great to see someone replace Manchester for a year or two. But my feeling says Man U will somehow secure the 4th spot.

TeddyBoy

Overall that seems like a solid idea, but I've got a slightly different opinion.

I think it was Wheels who mentioned this, but ever since Rodgers has arrived; we have only had one recognised DM. Sure we have Allen, but he's very much an all round player, same for Henderson and Gerrard really.

When we talk about Liverpool's attacking threat, we always have a fluid interchange between the SASAS, perhaps Rodgers thinks that instead of having recognised DM's, we can instead use a couple of CM's and have them also interchange on the defensive aspects of the game.

So overall, I've got a slight feeling that Rodgers would rather have a couple of all rounders to start a game and then perhaps bring a DM on once we start winning to slow the game down.

Otherwise, I agree with what you said except with Suarez. He'll surely leave this summer for a big fee (€80m?) and that cash will be spent on getting a suitable replacement and strengthening our team.

Wilbur

Banned
I hope Liverpool returns into the CL. Would be great to see someone replace Manchester for a year or two. But my feeling says Man U will somehow secure the 4th spot.

Bla please. I long for the day we return to the Bobby Robson heyday - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle. None of this 'two clubs from Manchester, two from London'. Utterly get fucked Spurs, two from North London is absurd.

I'll also accept Villa, Southampton, et al. Give us some diversity.

Mastadon

Banned
Overall that seems like a solid idea, but I've got a slightly different opinion.

I think it was Wheels who mentioned this, but ever since Rodgers has arrived; we have only had one recognised DM. Sure we have Allen, but he's very much an all round player, same for Henderson and Gerrard really.

When we talk about Liverpool's attacking threat, we always have a fluid interchange between the SASAS, perhaps Rodgers thinks that instead of having recognised DM's, we can instead use a couple of CM's and have them also interchange on the defensive aspects of the game.

So overall, I've got a slight feeling that Rodgers would rather have a couple of all rounders to start a game and then perhaps bring a DM on once we start winning to slow the game down.

Otherwise, I agree with what you said except with Suarez. He'll surely leave this summer for a big fee (€80m?) and that cash will be spent on getting a suitable replacement and strengthening our team.

I'm not convinced that Suarez will leave us if we qualify for CL.

sohois

Would you not agree that by declining the oppurtunity to bolster our DM options for the rest of the seson, we've pretty heavily jeapordised the chances of that becoming a factor though?

Well. no.

As I have implied in the past, I tend to have a lot of belief in statistical models for football prediction - as, it would seem, do Liverpool. These models, particularly since the Everton game, show a near enough overwhelming chance of Liverpool finishing in the top 4.

TeddyBoy said:

Rodgers certainly prefers the more traditional Defensive midfielder, as opposed to the destroyer type, but I wouldn't characterize him as not wanting to use defensive midfielders at all. After all, in the vast majority of games that Lucas has been available he has started. If Allen were a few years older then I agree that he would start over Lucas, but it would still be in a 'defensive' midfield position.

I would be surprised if Suarez left in the summer with Champions League. Why sign the contract, that appears to have no easy exit, if that was his intention? Liverpool would have pretty much had to sell regardless if he didn't sign a new one.

Salazar

Put a dirty rotter like Jones on the might of Charlie Adam today, stop the flow of intricate passing to Jon Walters.

Wittgenstein: "The way to solve the problem you see in life, is to live in a way that will make what is problematic disappear"

Phil Jones: emissary from the footballing void.

Feorax

FWIW, I still think we're favourites for 4th, even without a new signing. I had my doubts after the Villa game, but the derby performance has re-assured me of just how good we can be on our day. I definitely think we have the edge on United, Spurs and Everton at the moment, and Arsenal's fixture list is going to cause hell for them, especially with only Giroud and Bendtner to play up front.

We just have to hope and pray we get a bit of good fortune on the injuries front.

M'Vila would have fitted into any of 4 categories, 3 of which would have been satisfactory for the remainder of the season at least

1) Not good enough
2) Backup for Lucas
3) Competition for Lucas
4) Better than Lucas

Obviously it would have presented a problem in the summer as we'd probably still be looking to upgrade on either DM, and would need to probably lose Lucas or M'Vila to maintain a balanced squad/wage sheet, and that may have been difficult if we decided M'Vila was the more expendable of the two

I think that would have been risk worth taking to solidifiy our chances of finishing 4th or higher this season though.

Finishing inthe CL spot and signing one of the players you mentioned is the ideal of course, but I just fear it'll be irrelevant when we actually get to the summer if teams have the know-how to exploit our lack of a single bona fide DM in the squad

Fuck that. You're putting too much importance on a DM, you have a defence, you don't need a DM. Just play the Keegan game, score more than the opposition, you have the quality going forward to do that!

Blablurn

Bla please. I long for the day we return to the Bobby Robson heyday - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle. None of this 'two clubs from Manchester, two from London'. Utterly get fucked Spurs, two from North London is absurd.

I'll also accept Villa, Southampton, et al. Give us some diversity.

Newcastle were so cool when Shearer was still playing :/ Then they got boring and lame.

Blablurn

Fernando Torres tells the story of Luis Aragonés before 2008 final. Kept calling Ballack 'Wallace' in team talk. Eventually, a player... [1]

...says: 'Boss, he's called Ballack'. Aragonés responds: 'I'll call him whatever I feel like'. In the tunnel before the game the two ... [2]

...teams are lined up. Players are nervous. Aragonés winks at Spain players and turns to Ballack and says 'good luck Wallace'. [3]

Fuck Ballack. Free Milchmonster.

Salazar

I definitely think we have the edge on United

Fletcher, Carrick, and Fellaini individually and collectively getting their shit together and giving our attack some security could boost us quite a bit. We won't even get 6th relying on Rooney heroics.

No chance Suarez leaves if we qualify for CL, unless it's for a wrold record fee (assuming he keeps some semblance of form between now and May. Especially if he has a decent world cup

If we're in the CL proper next season, and Suarez leaves, I'll eat my hat kill myself

Do you guys reckon we'll play Allen tomorrow? I'd like to see the same 11 start tbh, bring Allen on if we need him, or if the game's wrapped up. Perhaps play Flanagan at LB and Kelly at RB if Kelly is up to it.

@Willkiller, I wonder how many teams over the history of football have said 'fuck defense, we'll just outscore them' and ended up failing to achieve their targets :p

TeddyBoy

Rodgers certainly prefers the more traditional Defensive midfielder, as opposed to the destroyer type, but I wouldn't characterize him as not wanting to use defensive midfielders at all. After all, in the vast majority of games that Lucas has been available he has started. If Allen were a few years older then I agree that he would start over Lucas, but it would still be in a 'defensive' midfield position.

I would be surprised if Suarez left in the summer with Champions League. Why sign the contract, that appears to have no easy exit, if that was his intention? Liverpool would have pretty much had to sell regardless if he didn't sign a new one.

It's just an idea, but when we played a midfield three of Allen, Henderson and Gerrard, the interchange between them always seem to suit us a bit more than having Lucas in there.

You and Mastadon might disagree, but United fans had the right idea. Ronaldo signed a new contract with United before he left for Madrid to get a better deal out of him. For me it's the same kind of thing. Suarez is 27 now, which means as a footballer, he's just about to enter the peak of his career. What better time to sell?

Just saw Hitcher's post, I said around €80m! That's a good price for me!

Feorax

Fletcher, Carrick, and Fellaini individually and collectively getting their shit together and giving our attack some security could boost us quite a bit. We won't even get 6th relying on Rooney heroics.

Oh I don't doubt that. Needs to happen sooner rather than later though.

Big test tonight. Would be a good time for the players you mention to raise their games.

It's just an idea, but when we played a midfield three of Allen, Henderson and Gerrard, the interchange between them always seem to suit us a bit more than having Lucas in there.

You and Mastadon might disagree, but United fans had the right idea. Ronaldo signed a new contract with United before he left for Madrid to get a better deal out of him. For me it's the same kind of thing. Suarez is 27 now, which means as a footballer, he's just about to enter the peak of his career. What better time to sell?

Just saw Hitcher's post, I said around €80m! That's a good price for me!

Sorry, but in a post-Bale world, €80m is nowhere near enough for a star player with more than a goal a game. And voluntarily selling a player at the beginning of their prime is silly. The guy has the quality to win us a few trophies and keep us high in the league. Fuck throwing that away just so we can get the highest fee possible, and take the massive risk of replacing him sufficiently

He's a cunt. A massive cunt. Perhaps the biggest cunt to ever play for us. But he's magic, and he's as close to priceless as players get outside of Messi and Ronaldo.

pappe

Them getting their shit together will mean nothing as long as Young or Valencia are playing and you just know 1 of them is definitely gonna be playing.

GorillaJu

The squad isn't a complete, title-winning squad like City, but I think even without January reinforcements we can finish forth. No idea what sohois' statistical models look like, but unless United and Spurs have a huge lift in form, their chances of finishing above us aren't looking too bright.

We tend to be our own worst enemies, so if we can defeat our own tendency to capitulate then we've got a legit shot.

Feorax

Suarez is now 3 goals away from equalling RVP's goal tally for last season.

Considering how significant those goals were in United's title challenge, that's crazy.

Hat trick v Lugano pls.

Meier

Just watched the highlights of the England-Belgium U17 game from Thursday. Man, Dylan Damraoui from Club Brugge is gonna be snatched up by a big club in a heartbeat. Incredibly impressive.

Has the Fellaini-style afro although it seems even wilder than his.

GorillaJu

I like Lugano a lot. He's a captain's captain. Too bad he's been poop the last two years.

Tonight really isn't that big a test for Utd. It's Stoke... They're terrible. The best we can hope for as Liverpool fans is a controversial 1-1 draw or something but I really don't see that happening. It might not be "easy" but Man U is taking this one no question.

LTWheels

The squad isn't a complete, title-winning squad like City, but I think even without January reinforcements we can finish forth. No idea what sohois' statistical models look like, but unless United and Spurs have a huge lift in form, their chances of finishing above us aren't looking too bright.

We tend to be our own worst enemies, so if we can defeat our own tendency to capitulate then we've got a legit shot.

No squad is as complete as City. It's ridiculous. For the next few seasons it's going to be a arms race between City and Chelsea as there owners play a boxing match with their football clubs.

I like Lugano a lot. He's a captain's captain. Too bad he's been poop the last two years.

Tonight really isn't that big a test for Utd. It's Stoke... They're terrible. The best we can hope for as Liverpool fans is a controversial 1-1 draw or something but I really don't see that happening. It might not be "easy" but Man U is taking this one no question.

Stoke are playing at home. Their home form is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom