• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyBoy

Pls Lightening, it's:

Mignolet
Johnson, Agger, Sakho, LB
DM, Henderson, Allen
Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho

Bench: Sturridge, Gerrard, Lucas, Kelly, Alberto, Aspas, Skrtel.

Johnson's contract expires in 2015 and is one of our largest earners, no way he stays past this summer.

Rodgers doesn't like playing with two left sided centre backs, so no Agger and Sakho partnership. We'll probably buy a new right sided centre back in the summer and sell Agger or Sktrl.

If we get Salah, we should send Sterling on loan next year. He won't play and Ibe can be on the bench.

I just realised, we have to potentially replace three out of our four defenders in the sunmer :(

And Sturridge should be starting!

EDIT

Morsel read my mind :p

Lightning

Banned
I think they could if everything went right, as is happening with you seemingly. If I posted your lineup, would you honestly say that is a potentially title-winning team?

Defensive coaching, consistent lineups, consistent playstyle, learning how to grind results, and momentum. That's why you're in the title race, not because of your lineup.

I'd hate to see that lineup you posted btw :p

As good as Chelsea, City and potentially you have been, we're 8 points behind having played everyone but Man Utd away from the top 8. On a squad-wide, player-by-player comparison, we're well off challenging for the title. I'd say for the first 11 we'd need 3 new defenders, 3 new midfielders and 2 new wingers to get on City's level. Yet the table and points spread says we're nowhere near that far off.

Coaching, momentum and a lack of a team running away with the title can go a hell of a long way to making up for a squad that by all accounts has huge holes in it :p.
The problem with this is Arsenal still haven't achieved anything so I don't think we should be the marker. We lose or draw to Southampton and we could be 3rd for example. You are 8 points off with Arsenal/City/Chelsea having played through European competition (still ongoing) that you haven't played when next season you will have to.

I don't think Arsenal's team are good enough to win the PL either. We are 2 top signings away as well. We need a Cavani and a top quality like DM, then we can be contenders. We also need to address the depth problem, as do Liverpool.

For example Gibbs goes down Monreal comes in no problem. Sagna goes down Jenkinson comes in BIG problem. Mertesacker/Kos goes down Vermaelen comes in BIG problem. Giroud goes down Bendtner/Sanogo comes in WTF??? You can't win the PL with this sitiuation. The other positions we're quite good but still rely on grafting results and we cannot be confident against other big teams unlike City and Chelsea.

In other words Arsenal still have a lot of improving to do as well. This season provides encouragement but that's about it so far.

Pls Lightening, it's:

Mignolet
Johnson, Agger, Sakho, LB
DM, Henderson, Allen
Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho

Bench: Sturridge, Gerrard, Lucas, Kelly, Alberto, Aspas, Skrtel.
Same result. That team will be lucky to make top 4.

LTWheels

Johnson's contract expires in 2015 and is one of our largest earners, no way he stays past this summer.

Rodgers doesn't like playing with two left sided centre backs, so no Agger and Sakho partnership. We'll probably buy a new right sided centre back in the summer and sell Agger or Sktrl.

If we get Salah, we should send Sterling on loan next year. He won't play and Ibe can be on the bench.

I just realised, we have to potentially replace three out of our four defenders in the sunmer :(

And Sturridge should be starting!

I was talking about for the rest of the season.

I disagree that Sturridge should necessary be starting. To play with two up front, we would need to pretty much buy I whole new midfield. Another option would be to play him as one of the wide players of the attacking 3. I like him coming off the bench as an impact when the play is stretched, and the opponents are tired and not as sharp.

We need options off the bench to make an impact. The like of Lucas, Gerrard and Sturridge as subs would provide that.

If Liverpool don't make top 4 this season, do you think Suarez will stay? I can't help but think he'll have worked in terms into his new contract for that eventuality.

Mac_Lane

Saw that Moyes was interested in Cavani.

Well there's just no chance such a deal will happen. Edinson has got absolutely no reason to join a team that's going down as badly as United currently is. Hell, it might not even make it to Europa League next season.

Plus he's already very well paid at Paris: 10m€ a year.

So unless Man Utd are ready to spend at least 80m€ in transfer fee and a high salary that will certainly make other players jealous, this is bound to remain just a Moyes' fantasy.

If Liverpool don't make top 4 this season, do you think Suarez will stay? I can't help but think he'll have worked in terms into his new contract for that eventuality.

No chance he stays if we fail to finish top 4, unless we give him yet another pay rise and make him the highest paid player in the world. Even if we finish 5th on goal difference and make huge strides in the summer, it'd be another year out of the CL for him, and that's where he should be playing.

edit: Wonder if we've thought about trying to tap up Mascherano. Worth a shot :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQW9nF6gPk

ibn0yI0BiZtSXj.gif

Nevs is dead against Mata to United.

I would be shocked if they sold him to us, you don't sell a player like that to another BPL team maybe he doesn't see us as a threat now.

Big mistake we need to rebuild from the defence up and Mata in midfield would be very nice.

A new CB and LB would be priority for me, but a midfielder could make an impact now.

Mac_Lane

Don't let anybody tell you that transfer rumours are nonsense. Keep on believing.

Well, I'm a PSG fan, so you know...

But this made it to l'Équipe, the French main sports newspaper. And apparently Moyes came to see Bordeaux-PSG last week to check Cavani out.

GorillaJu

Masch sucks. He was part of a moment of harmony in the Liverpool team but there are so many better available options he shouldn't be in consideration.

Masch sucks. He was part of a moment of harmony in the Liverpool team but there are so many better available options he shouldn't be in consideration.

He's one of the best in the business at covering the entirety of the back 4, and all 4 of them need covering. Lucas hasn't got the pace or energy to do it for 90 minutes. There was a short time where Lucas was superior to Mascherano, but then he got injured and I doubt he'll reach that level again

dc89

Well, I'm a PSG fan, so you know...

But this made it to l'Équipe, the French main sports newspaper. And apparently Moyes came to see Bordeaux-PSG last week to check Cavani out.

Timurid* has a new friend. Welcome.

*I think that's his name.

GorillaJu

He's one of the best in the business at covering the entirety of the back 4, and all 4 of them need covering. Lucas hasn't got the pace or energy to do it for 90 minutes. There was a short time where Lucas was superior to Mascherano, but then he got injured and I doubt he'll reach that level again

Masch doesn't even protect the back 4 these days he's part of it. If he wasn't shit, Barça wouldn't have bought Song as back up for Busquets because they'd have already had it in Masch. His wages would be prohibitive.

There are younger, hungrier players who will cost less, work harder and grow into better players. Let's buy one of those. I'd take Schneiderlin over Masch any day.

Timurid* has a new friend. Welcome.

*I think that's his name.

Mac has been posting here a while, bud.

simples

Banned
Nevs is dead against Mata to United.

I would be shocked if they sold him to us, you don't sell a player like that to another BPL team maybe he doesn't see us as a threat now.

Big mistake we need to rebuild from the defence up and Mata in midfield would be very nice.

A new CB and LB would be priority for me, but a midfielder could make an impact now.

mata would be a luxury signing. his ideal place would be where the scouser plays behind rvp linking the midfield. that fat git wont move from his place, so mata will be pushed out wide left and be invisible like kagawa

united need, left backs, a left winger, a cb if vidic doesnt resign, holding mids (unless moyes thinks fellaini and jones will do) or a deep playmaker

bjaelke

The FA has charged the West Bromwich Albion player Nicolas Anelka following an incident that occurred during the West Ham United versus West Bromwich Albion fixture at the Boleyn Ground on 28 December 2013.

It is alleged that, in the 40th minute of the fixture, Anelka made a gesture which was abusive and/or indecent and/or insulting and/or improper, contrary to FA Rule E3[1].

It is further alleged that this is an aggravated breach, as defined in FA Rule E3[2], in that it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief.
Anelka's a cunt and/or idiot.

sohois

Masch doesn't even protect the back 4 these days he's part of it. If he wasn't shit, Barça wouldn't have bought Song as back up for Busquets because they'd have already had it in Masch. His wages would be prohibitive.

There are younger, hungrier players who will cost less, work harder and grow into better players. Let's buy one of those. I'd take Schneiderlin over Masch any day.

Mac has been posting here a while, bud.

If Liverpool were to target anyone from Barca to bring in as a DM, I don't see why they wouldn't go for Song on a loan deal. He doesn't play that much, Barca don't need him. Still he seems like the kind of guy that is happy riding the bench, otherwise he probably would have just stayed at Arsenal

Mac_Lane

I don't think Mourinho will be dumb enough to sell such a valuable player as Mata to a direct competitor like United.

And if they do indeed sell Mata, I think the move would rather occur during the summer because the fact that Mata can't compete for another team in the CL certainly makes him a lot less attractive right now.

I don't understand your excitement over it. You don't really need Guarin.

The state of the football club is self explanatory when Guarin is your best player so I just can't understand the logic for Inter doing this or why Juve want Guarin.

Inter and Milan are such a shit show mess right now. It gives Juve free reign in the Serie A.

Fredy Guarin for Mirko Vucinic?

Sure, why not ... if you're Juventus. As I write this, the deal is close, but not done. Inter are trying to get some cash along with the Montenegrin striker, but unless it’s a sizable amount, it looks as if this is a slam dunk for Juventus.

They're trading a forward who they quite evidently don't need -- he has played only 354 Serie A minutes this year and, without much of a contribution from him, they're running away with Serie A, plus have depth in Sebastian Giovinco and Fabio Quagliarella -- for a dynamic midfielder who, on paper, seems tailor-made for Antonio Conte's high-energy style.

Despite their undoubted talents, neither player has been a paragon of consistency, but Guarin is three years younger than Vucinic and earns less money, so from a bean-counting perspective it also makes sense.

Fredy Guarin makes perfect sense for Juve -- but not for Inter in return.

It also puts Juventus in a strong negotiating position vis-a-vis their midfielders. They now have five top-drawer options: Andrea Pirlo, Paul Pogba, Arturo Vidal, Claudio Marchisio and Guarin. And that affords them more leverage as they enter contract negotiations with Pirlo -- who becomes a free agent in June -- and Pogba, who they need to lock into a revised, more lucrative long-term deal. Or, if a big enough offer comes in, they can consider selling Pogba or Marchisio without having to scramble and worry about a potential replacement.

As for Inter, it's hard to see the logic here. Yes, they had been shopping Guarin around, but nobody was coming close to their $20 million valuation. Surely settling for less cash would have made more sense than adding yet another forward?

Vucinic will get at least another year on his contract -- bringing him through 2016 -- and you wonder if another high-priced veteran is really what they need when you consider they spent $20 million last summer on 22-year-old Ishak Belfodil and 20-year-old Mauro Icardi, two guys who were supposed to represent the future.

]Between them they've made one Serie A start all season (further evidence of Walter Mazzarri's proclivity for playing youngsters) and it’s not as if playing time is likely to increase with Vucinic in the mix.

From Gab Marcotti again.

Makes sense, especially when you look at the bolded part.

Mastadon

Banned
Have you considered going to the toilet?

You can't shit in a library toilet Horse, it's just not the done thing.

A far more reasonable suggestions would be to drink the coffee and then surreptitiously go for your watery shit in the empty coffee cup. No one will be any the wiser!

Just remember not to drink it.

Clegg

Last nights Mata stuff was fun. Shame it'll never happen.

Will have to send vaguely threatening letters to the Telegraph when the transfer window closes.

You can't shit in a library toilet Horse, it's just not the done thing.

A far more reasonable suggestions would be to drink the coffee and then surreptitiously go for your watery shit in the empty coffee cup. No one will be any the wiser!

Just remember not to drink it.

It just hurts to sit.

Great, now I have an image in my head of WJD squatting in the corner of the library, messily shitting into a small plastic cup whilst trying to hold back his tears.

Horse, I really can't see Suarez staying if we don't get CL this year.

I read someone at Liverpool said the contract has no release clause. Is that an actual thing?

I can't imagine it being something Suarez didn't want to have in there especially as he made a big deal about it last summer. And if it isn't in there I am starting to think Pep's brother can't actually read.

WJD

I'm treating Suarez and Rooney leaving in the summer as absolute certainties for now. Probably even if we somehow claw our way into the top 4 regarding the latter.

Salazar

Last nights Mata stuff was fun. Shame it'll never happen.

Will have to send vaguely threatening letters to the Telegraph when the transfer window closes.

Does seem a bit like the kind of thing pencil-neck out of his depth Wooders might leak to make us seem somewhat less utterly passive and fucked over Wantaway Wayne.

But slot Garay and Coentrao in the defence, put Willy C in midfield, and stop fucking about with shit-tier wide players and it looks so, so appealing.

Walshy

Suarez will leave if we don't make Champions League, but we would seriously have to fuck it up if we don't make the CL this year.

bjaelke

I read someone at Liverpool said the contract has no release clause. Is that an actual thing?

It's very unclear right now. Some people claim there's one but they can't agree on the actual amount (£50-85m) while others say it's not in place. Easiest way would be to finish 5th or below and see if something triggers this Summer. That way we can settle it once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom