• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Suarez will leave if we don't make Champions League, but we would seriously have to fuck it up if we don't make the CL this year.

You talk like Liverpool are way out in front. You are level with Tottenham and 1 point ahead of Everton. For all the talk of Liverpool's amazing season they are still not away from the chasing pack and are now level with a club that was 'in crisis' a month ago.

Right now it's about taking points off your rivals, you play Everton next and we play them in 3 weeks, if Everton lose both those games then it's over for them but a couple of draws and this thing is going right to the wire as always. A lot will depend on injuries, Lucas and Coleman have picked up injuries and they are two crucial players for their teams.

CIES-producers-13-14-English.jpg

CIES-best-producers-13-14-31-nations.jpg

You talk like Liverpool are way out in front. You are level with Tottenham and 1 point ahead of Everton. For all the talk of Liverpool's amazing season they are still not away from the chasing pack.

Right now it's about taking points off your rivals, you play Everton next and we play them in 3 weeks, if Everton lose both those games then it's over for them but a couple of draws and this thing is going right to the wire as always.

Why would it be over for Everton if they drop 6 points behind?

I can't think of any recent examples of the top of my head, but I am pretty sure that bigger leads have been thrown away for 4th position.
:p

sohois

You talk like Liverpool are way out in front. You are level with Tottenham and 1 point ahead of Everton. For all the talk of Liverpool's amazing season they are still not away from the chasing pack and are now level with a club that was 'in crisis' a month ago.

Right now it's about taking points off your rivals, you play Everton next and we play them in 3 weeks, if Everton lose both those games then it's over for them but a couple of draws and this thing is going right to the wire as always. A lot will depend on injuries, Lucas and Coleman have picked up injuries and they are two crucial players for their teams.

Most Statistical models have Liverpool well out in front at this point. Liverpool are the heavy favourites.

it would be interesting to see how many players from a clubs catchment area/country are actually produced. Arsenal, Barca, RM have produced a lot of home grown players, but many of them have been also been bought. For example, Theo and Fabregas would count for Arsenal although I wouldn't count them as produced by us.

TeddyBoy

Most Statistical models have Liverpool well out in front at this point. Liverpool are the heavy favourites.

They do, however every game of football is different and can be won or lost. Approach each game aiming to win and see where everyone ends up. The battle for top four is still very much on.

WJD

Not even a mention, Usho?

It's okay, I don't really believe either. RVP and Rooney back might make things slightly tighter though.

Ushojax

Most statistical models said Tottenham would finish 4th at this point last season, the statistics don't mean anything. We are not talking about proven winning teams here, we're talking about 3 teams capable of dropping points at any time. Did the stats say Liverpool would draw with Villa or that us and Everton would draw with West Brom?

Not even a mention, Usho?

It's okay, I don't really believe either. RVP and Rooney back might make things slightly tighter though.

I actually think United still have a good chance, if the next few big games end badly for Liverpool and Spurs then you could be right in there again, your fixtures aren't so bad. Where we could see some separation is when the European cups start again, Liverpool and Everton have a huge advantage there.

I imagine that's pretty much entirely because of the fact that the rest of our games against the top 8 are at home, but fuck knows whether we'll take advantage of that fact. Spurs are in better form than us and have closed the gap already. Perhaps its my pessimism, but I make them favourites for 4th. Hope City give them a good twatting, given up on the title tbh.

edit: Just ordered DS2 digital for £19.99. Nice.

Walshy

It's been amazing season because we have gone from 7th and 8th to being near the top of the table in only our managers second season. Spurs spunked £100m and there was even talk of title challenge before the season started, AVB's Spurs were only 3 points behind before the Liverpool vs Spurs game at WHL. The crisis has largely been played out by the media, but you've had an okay season, it's just the other teams in the league aren't as shit anymore.

We have most of the top teams at home, we would seriously have to fuck it up to not get 4th. We've been absolutely ravaged by injuries all season, whilst Lucas is out now, we will most likely reinforce that position in January and we could actually have our first team defense back by February, which we haven't had all season.

The jury is still out on Sherwood too. Can you keep up this form for the last half of the season?

sohois

Most statistical models said Tottenham would finish 4th at this point last season, the statistics don't mean anything. We are not talking about proven winning teams here, we're talking about 3 teams capable of dropping points at any time. Did the stats say Liverpool would draw with Villa or that us and Everton would draw with West Brom?

'There was a small deviation in last years models, therefore they are all useless'

Stats don't really say anything about game to game performance, all you are seeing is the variance, nothing more. When predicting over long periods they are far more accurate.

Baki

I imagine that's pretty much entirely because of the fact that the rest of our games against the top 8 are at home, but fuck knows whether we'll take advantage of that fact. Spurs are in better form than us and have closed the gap already. Perhaps its my pessimism, but I make them favourites for 4th. Hope City give them a good twatting, given up on the title tbh.

edit: Just ordered DS2 digital for £19.99. Nice.

I need city to draw or lose lol.

sohois

Statistical models in football are pointless. I am guessing the model you are talking about is The Times Fink Tank???

No. There are now quite a few models in football. Thus far their accuracy has consistently rated above random chance and above 'expert' opinions, and there is very little applicability of black swan effects to the models.

edit: see
asasf1.png

Ushojax

It's been amazing season because we have gone from 7th and 8th to being near the top of the table in only our managers second season. Spurs spunked £100m and there was even talk of title challenge before the season started, AVB's Spurs were only 3 points behind before the Liverpool vs Spurs game at WHL. The crisis has largely been played out by the media, but you've had an okay season, it's just the other teams in the league aren't as shit anymore.

We have most of the top teams at home, we would seriously have to fuck it up to not get 4th. We've been absolutely ravaged by injuries all season, whilst Lucas is out now, we will most likely reinforce that position in January and we could actually have our first team defense back by February, which we haven't had all season.

The jury is still out on Sherwood too. Can you keep up this form for the last half of the season?

Liverpool are still the favourites, don't get me wrong. But it's been a while since they've been in a real pressure cooker situation during the run-in. The last few years the season has been over with 8 or 9 games to go, they can play without anxiety. Last season it was an absolute nightmare for Spurs because despite winning 5 and drawing 3 of our last 8 games, Arsenal just kept on winning. We just couldn't handle the pressure and three limp 2-2 draws cost us CL football. You need to be able to win 1-0, that's how Arsenal keep getting in there. I'm not convinced that Liverpool (or Spurs) can do that, the real crunch hasn't happened yet. When every single team in the bottom half is fighting for their lives it becomes a lot harder, we are only just approaching that stage of the season.

Lol, since when do they make these stats about Eredivisie players? :p

Fans from the big leagues like to know about the players we are gonna buy :D

No. There are now quite a few models in football. Thus far their accuracy has consistently rated above random chance and above 'expert' opinions, and there is very little applicability of black swan effects to the models.

Of course they are gonna be more accurate then a bunch of experts who change their opinions every five minutes to make themselves look good. I am sure Arsenal are not favourites despite being first the majority of the season and that the models look at Man City spanking people at home and assume they will keep it up. Arsenal have been winning games the tough way and with maturity that these models don't take into account.

Liverpool are still the favourites, don't get me wrong. But it's been a while since they've been in a real pressure cooker situation during the run-in. The last few years the season has been over with 8 or 9 games to go, they can play without anxiety. Last season it was an absolute nightmare for Spurs because despite winning 5 and drawing 3 of our last 8 games, Arsenal just kept on winning. We just couldn't handle the pressure and three limp 2-2 draws cost us CL football. You need to be able to win 1-0, that's how Arsenal keep getting in there. I'm not convinced that Liverpool (or Spurs) can do that, the real crunch hasn't happened yet. When every single team in the bottom half is fighting for their lives it becomes a lot harder, we are only just approaching that stage of the season.

Thank fuck you guys are still in the EL :p

Could do with you going as far as possible, then losing in the semi or final

edit: Good point regarding the bottom teams. Palace have become much harder to beat, while Swansea and Southampton have become easier

WJD

I actually think United still have a good chance, if the next few big games end badly for Liverpool and Spurs then you could be right in there again, your fixtures aren't so bad. Where we could see some separation is when the European cups start again, Liverpool and Everton have a huge advantage there.

We just need to start fucking winning at home. If our injury situation is a lot better in about a months time then the Champions League might even prove a positive if we can smash Olympiakos around a bit and get some confidence and momentum going.

Fry

Yeah I can see us getting top 4. Will it be easy? Hell no. We have something to prove though.

It'll be tough now that Lucas is injured, we are fucked in that regard. Brentan needs to sign Fernandinho and Salah.

GorillaJu

Sorry Hitch my post above sounded a bit combative and I didn't mean to. Still I'd like it if we put our attention toward players like Jorginho (okay I promise that's the last time I mention him I know he's going to Napoli).

In that position in the future, Pedro Chirivella is going to become a hell of a player. We were sneaky gits poaching him from Valencia and their fans and coaches are pissed. Can just tell from the furor surrounding his move to Kirkby that he's got a big future ahead. He's full of energy and super quick on top of having the requisite qualities for a DM.

Yeah I can see us getting top 4. Will it be easy? Hell no. We have something to prove though.

It'll be tough now that Lucas is injured, we are fucked in that regard. Brentan needs to sign Fernandinho and Salah.

Doubt we'll be getting Fernadinho :p

I know what you meant

I haven't been keeping up with the youth team this season, and have never heard of Chirivella :p

Is Texeira developing into a CM or AM?

Whole of last year was amazing form-wise for Arsenal. But it was after the Bayern match in March when we won 2-0 was where we really started to believe. After that, we started to tighten up and really focus defensively. And that is what got us fourth place.

Now we're fighting for the title, and while I don't think we'll win it in the end, it's great to see Arsenal having a go and staying in that top 3.

Spurs/Liverpool need some stability in their defence. Rodgers is changing formation and players every week, and it's costing them. I think Spurs have had too many draws when AVB was there. Been doing well recently though.

pulga

Banned
RM XI vs. Espanyol: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pepe, Nacho, Marcelo; Di Maria, Xabi Alonso, Illarra; Cristiano, Isco, Jesé.

Isco as a false 9! I'm really liking Carlo's management of the team so far, he's constantly rotating and giving everyone a chance ;_; Would like to see some more of Casemiro but I can hardly complain at this point.

I'm not asking you too feel sorry for Inter, or not intending to anyway, but you could at least not rub it in. It's painful! And the Inter coach makes up too many bullshit excuses when things go wrong.

Liverpool need A LOT more than 1 or 2 signings from challenging the title. Fiorentina have impressed thus far for me, they are a club who know what they are doing. Progressing quite well but need to hang onto their players and snip Roma's CL spot since Roma don't deserve it.

No can do. I'm incredibly frustrated. Lose to Lazio, Draw to Verona, Lose to Genoa and now idiots in the transfer market. 11 points off where the club should be because of a disastrous start to the year.

What do you make of this rubbish?

Are..are you some kind of closet interista? Is there no end to your shame?

I've been calling it for like a year now!

Hahaha they crack me up, it's a shame JDS isn't that good, Thiago would have loved to play with him at Barca/Bayern.

Uuuh I'm positive Thiago already played with him plenty at Barca

GorillaJu

Doubt we'll be getting Fernadinho :p

I know what you meant

I haven't been keeping up with the youth team this season, and have never heard of Chirivella :p

Is Texeira developing into a CM or AM?

He's playing as a central playmaker at the moment. Could do with a few minutes in the team in low pressure situations. I'm less excited about João Carlos than I am Alberto.

RM XI vs. Espanyol: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pepe, Nacho, Marcelo; Di Maria, Xabi Alonso, Illarra; Cristiano, Isco, Jesé.

Isco as a false 9! I'm really liking Carlo's management of the team so far, he's constantly rotating and giving everyone a chance ;_; Would like to see some more of Casemiro but I can hardly complain at this point.

Haha, I remember MadridGAF calling for his head after a few games. He has always been a top manager who knows what he is doing.

I just hope you won't mind too much when he takes over for the new 5 times World Champions after the World Cup

pulga

Banned
Haha, I remember MadridGAF calling for his head after a few games. He has always been a top manager who knows what he is doing.

I just hope you won't mind too much when he takes over for the new 5 times World Champions after the World Cup

He's grown on me :3

maybe it's the -1 point high I'm coming off from lol

but no seriously, he's been managing the locker room fantastically. Even got the whole Di Crotch thing under control pretty smoothly

pulga

Banned
Where is Bale? Injured again?

Uhh resting, like our best player Modric, and giving Jese a chance?

Since you're asking about Bale, here's a tweet for ya

@SocialRMadrid: Gareth Bale has now played 20 games for Real Madrid, scoring 10 goals. Best ever first 20 games for him in 4 seasons.

with no preseason and various niggles lol

edit: sorry if I sound needlessly confrontational, but it sounded like you were trying to troll lol

Ushojax

Mata
Cavani
Gundogan
Sneijder
Thiago
Falcao

You'd think we'd have learned by now.

Did you actually make offers for Thiago and Sneijder? I'm sure you could have got them if you'd actually waved some cash around.

GorillaJu

Why do my Gaf ads have a picture of a girl wedging her panties into her vag on every page?

If they don't want us to use adblocker then they shouldn't sign up for services that show NSFW ads.

dc89

@mikekeeganmen
SAF was spotted at Carrington yesterday after his Barbados trip. David Moyes continues to welcome his influence.

---

Stay away SAF, I don't think you are helping matters.

Suen

Isco still has a future at Real Madrid, insists Ancelotti

You shouldn't even have to go out and say this if it's true. Bye Bye Isco, it was nice to have you play in a few league games in our team :(

#IscoDead
#MorataDead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom