• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
He'd be the goal scorer we need. But where would he play? on the right?

I posted last night that, while I would welcome a big signing, this feels a panic buy, I can only see three ways of it working.

a) Mata plays on the wing but will usurp Rooney in the summer
b) Mata plays in no.10 where he is supposed to and Rooney moves
c) Moyes completely reinvents our style of play and focuses on interchangeable midfielders over wing play.

Every one of these possibilities is stupid, you dont spend 40m to play a huge signing out of position, you dont move Rooney because, whether he stays or not he is our best player and best hope this season. And lastly a complete U-turn of our club policy and strategy, albeit needed given our current wingers, is laughable, you dont change everything mid season.

But still, love Mata

GorillaJu

Thread in gaming. Rumour: Nintendo's next console specs leaked.
This picture:

nintendo_go.jpg

WiiU really could be dead.

Eh... that is one hell of an ugly, unharmonious and un-Nintendo-like logo there. Especially the typography. They'd never settle for that. Fake.

Salazar

Mirror saying we've bid £27m.

Someone get the shotgun, we're marching to Old Trafford.

Come on, Clegg. It's vaguely depressing that our methodologies of punishment have gone backwards since the Middle Ages. Use your imagination, lad. Pokers, pincers, tongs, marmosets.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It'd be devastating to have another Shinji scenario.

Indeed, you dont spend 40m and play them out of position, nothing about this deal makes sense while Rooney is at the club, if it was a lesser player sure because we do need the backup at no.10 but he is overqualified.

Mr Cola

Rooney's likely gone in the summer, and Kagawa could well leave too.

Don't understand why you all find chasing Mata so confusing.

Like I said, what do you do for the remainder of the season? Play Mata out of position, Play Rooney out of position or try to accomodate both in the same position? Thats the confusing part to me, spending 40m in January on a player whose position is already locked for the last half of the season.

Ashes

Banned
Indeed, you dont spend 40m and play them out of position, nothing about this deal makes sense while Rooney is at the club, if it was a lesser player sure because we do need the backup at no.10 but he is overqualified.

The funny thing is we keep having the no 10s play very deep [Welbeck & Rooney. I'd probably put Van Percy in there as well]. So we could just have Mata play as a very attacking central midfielder. He's always been an industrious no 10, just like Rooney. And Rooney in the middle of our midfield is what supposedly caused his being upset with Fergie.

Like I said, what do you do for the remainder of the season? Play Mata out of position, Play Rooney out of position or try to accomodate both in the same position? Thats the confusing part to me, spending 40m in January on a player whose position is already locked for the last half of the season.

In the grand scheme of things, half a season where he might have to play out of position at times doesn't really matter above signing a good player long term.

Ashes

Banned
In the grand scheme of things, half a season where he might have to play out of position at times doesn't really matter above signing a good player long term.

Okay, I have to admit this makes sense. And Mata should be able to play central mid. It's where all the midfielders play for spain don't they?

Mr Cola

I mean there is a case to say, could you put Rooney and RVP up front and put Mata at no.10? Rooney becomes less effective around the park but, unlike before where he has been a striker, he has a quality no.10 behind him to pick up the slack. Obvious negatives are Mata's tracking defensive game, its a bold formation, a signal of intent.

-------------De Gea
-------Smalling Jones Evans
Rafael----------------------Evra
---------Carrick--Fletcher
--------------Mata
--------Rooney-----RVP

(Taken from redcafe)

Ashes

Banned
I mean there is a case to say, could you put Rooney and RVP up front and put Mata at no.10? Rooney becomes less effective around the park but, unlike before where he has been a striker, he has a quality no.10 behind him to pick up the slack. Obvious negatives are Mata's tracking defensive game, its a bold formation, a signal of intent.

-------------De Gea
-------Smalling Jones Evans
Rafael----------------------Evra
---------Carrick--Fletcher
--------------Mata
--------Rooney-----RVP

(Taken from redcafe)

Yeah. That's not happening for most games.

qindarka

Banned
I am pretty confident that Mata will not be able to play centre mid.

Still not convinced this deal is happening. 40 million would seem a good price for someone who is not starting but would still be a bitter pill to swallow.

dc89

@plekster
feel like this is the time to come clean as I don't tweet anymore, of course I was a parody but I am actually a man united fan lol

---

:'(

I am pretty confident that Mata will not be able to play centre mid.

Still not convinced this deal is happening. 40 million would seem a good price for someone who is not starting but would still be a bitter pill to swallow.

Just a thought, and I'm being benign here, but I wonder if Chelsea want to help balance books re FFP with a nice cash injection. They're certainly one of the clubs that will struggle to meet the requirements as it stands.

WJD

Just a thought, and I'm being benign here, but I wonder if Chelsea want to help balance books re FFP with a nice cash injection. They're certainly one of the clubs that will struggle to meet the requirements as it stands.

Probably just as likely Mourinho having a laugh at our expense for the whole Rooney thing.

qindarka

Banned

I don't think FFP is a huge deal, we will have a fair bit to spend without selling players yet it is still a matter for consideration.

Salazar

Like I said, what do you do for the remainder of the season?

Work harder. Be more disciplined. Convert chances. Attack. DEFEND. Nothing we do in the market matters otherwise.

Acquire a LB. Rotate vigorously with Evra and (if he's still here and vaguely decent, Fabio).
Stop using Young, whenever possible. Put Welbz there instead.
Throw Fellaini in and expect results.
Give Jones lots of time in CB at the expense of Vidic and Ferdinand.
Pray Robin stays fit and bangs in some goals.
If Robin is on the pitch, let Rooney do his action man act.
If not, tell him to lead the fucking line.
Keep Adnan as a first choice wide player. Don't piss about with no.10 experiments.
Rotate Adnan and Kagawa - christ knows the former has got through a heap of work.
Give Zaha time at Valencia's expense, if Raf is behind him.

--------------DeGea
Raf----Jones----Evans----LB
---------Carrick-Fell
------------Mata
Adnan---- RVP------Rooney

dc89

@THSTOfficial
BREAKING: Three Spurs fans arrested for use of the Y Word at WHL all charged under racially/ religiously aggravated Section 5 POA today

---

Tottenham Hotspurs Supporters Trust - officially recognised by the club. So I guess this carries some weight.

Well they did say they were going to clamp down on it.

GorillaJu

Mata to United seems improbable to me in a winter window... though given that it's a world cup year, I'm sure Mata will want a chance to perform.

I think Chelsea would be thrilled if someone in a foreign league put in a legitimate bid.. In the short term they stand to gain from this transfer as improving United can only help their title prospects and wouldn't hurt their CL campaign as he'd be cup-tied. However, anyone with half a brain would expect United to come out the gate next season much stronger than this year, and having a top class player like Mata will help them maintain competitiveness with United.

what the fuck is the y word?

Yid

The word Yid (/ˈjiːd/; Yiddish: ייִד)[clarification needed] is a slang Jewish ethnonym of Yiddish origin. Its usage may be controversial in modern English language. It is not usually considered offensive when pronounced /ˈjiːd/ (rhyming with deed), the way Yiddish speakers say it, though some may deem the word offensive nonetheless. When pronounced /ˈjɪd/ (rhyming with did), some have perceived it as pejorative — and has been used as a derogatory epithet by antisemites along with, and as an alternative to, the English word 'Jew'.[1]

Supporters of the English football club Tottenham Hotspur F.C. adopted the nickname "Yid" (or "Yiddo") and often identify as "Yid Army" - as a direct response to opposition fans originally using the word against them as a form of taunting and abuse. "Yid" is used as a badge of pride by the supporters of Tottenham Hotspur F.C., both those that are Jewish and non-Jewish. Such usage is controversial, and in 2013 has been addressed by the UK Society for Black Lawyers (an equality lobby group), as well as the British Prime Minister.

Marca are claiming that Athletico are jumping in on Mata too.

That's the one that makes complete sense to me, assuming they have the money/will be selling Koke, or will do in the summer. Maybe PSG. Madrid don't need him, he doesn't suit Barca, not sure he'd want to move to Juve, Bayern don't need him, you're in the same league as Chelsea

@THSTOfficial
BREAKING: Three Spurs fans arrested for use of the Y Word at WHL all charged under racially/ religiously aggravated Section 5 POA today

---

Tottenham Hotspurs Supporters Trust - officially recognised by the club. So I guess this carries some weight.

Well they did say they were going to clamp down on it.
They should go and see an Ajax game. "Super jews" and "Who doesn't sing isn't a jew" are some of their chants.

Ashes

Banned
Well, you're not doing all that well with 11 players, I don't think playing with 10 players will help you all that much.

ha ha.

If Mata comes in, it'll be the 4-3-3 we used to play in champion's league away games. Or the diamond formation which we used to work against 5 man midfields.

How was the game? Tell me tales of in person Quiche!

Quiche is boring! We went to get a sub and all he got on it was ham, he didn't want an ice cream at the best ice cream shop in Amsterdam, he didn't want to drink his beer and after the game at the Burger King he got chicken nuggets because the burgers had lettuce on them!

It was fun. Linius was our guide in Amsterdam and got us to the stadium in one piece. The atmosphere inside the ArenA was great and the football was almost like watching Believe FC play. First match of the day and in the rain that is.

Salazar

O Jogo said last week that Manchester United were in no hurry to complete a transfer for the defender because they are confident in being able to complete the deal in 2 to 3 days, similar to the time-frame Chelsea signed Nemanja Matic in.

69UFat2.gif

Wooders undaunted. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom