• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Why don't Chelsea just ask for Rooney in exchange? I thought they tried so hard to get him before.

They can have him (maybe. maybe not) for free in the not-incredibly-distant future. And money for Mata would be good FFP practice; let's not forget just how fucking much Chelsea spend.

Or they can pick up a younger, more disciplined, conceivably more deadly striker in the summer from elsewhere.

Rooney and Stretford would appear to have come up with Chelsea as an option and pushed for it - not vice versa. I really don't think it's one of those Abramovich BRING HIM TO ME situations.

GHG

Why don't Chelsea just ask for Rooney in exchange? I thought they tried so hard to get him before.

Because then Man United wont do the deal.

Chelsea will sell to them as they've already played Man United twice this year so it doesnt really affect them. Plus 40 million is not to be sniffed at.

Lightning

Banned
Chelsea getting Rooney would be a disaster for everyone and United with Mata would still be a much better team.

Rooney would score a bucket load of goals for Chelsea.

subtles

Mata has arguably been one of Chelsea's best players since he arrived and it's odd he may end up playing for last season's champions. The offer is exceptional considering the initial investment but I find it very strange they would strengthen a rival without weakening them (while simultaneously strengthening their weakest position). If they sell Mata and don't get another striker this window that would be terrible business.

iirc Torres/Eto'o/Ba only have 11 goals between them in the league this season while Rooney alone is on 9.

Man Utd get Mata, we get Victor fucking Moses :(

I need some rumours about CMs and DMs. We have 9 days to get one, and 6 days til the Everton match. If we don't get one, our season may well fizzle out by the middle of February yet again.

I've gotta say, what the fuck was going on with Madrid fans turning their noses up at the prospect of signing Rooney last night?

1. He and Ronaldo have a great relationship
2. He's perfect for Madrid's style of having players constantly run beyond the striker
3. He's about 17 times better than Benzema
4. You wouldn't have to break the bank for him

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mou is taking an awful risk with the Mata transfer. You'd think there would be other offers, if he wants rid of him why not sound out other clubs? Seems so strange to sell him to a team in the same league. I guess Chelsea have done this before though, Sturridge was another huge mistake. £40m is a lot to turn down when Chelsea are struggling to comply with FFP.

confuziz

Banned
Man Utd get Mata, we get Victor fucking Moses :(

I need some rumours about CMs and DMs. We have 9 days to get one, and 6 days til the Everton match. If we don't get one, our season may well fizzle out by the middle of February yet again.

I've seen some links about Nigel de Jong.

I've seen some links about Nigel de Jong.

Do Milan have the depth to sell him to us in January though, with little time to find a replacement?

Its easy to sign players from Portugal at a ludicrous price since the likes of Benfica and Porto know that nobody gives a shit about the Portuguese league, and they'd finish in the CL spots regardless of whether their most important players ae still there or not. Would Milan selling De Jong not be indicative of them giving up on the season?

Lightning

Banned
Mou is taking an awful risk with the Mata transfer. You'd think there would be other offers, if he wants rid of him why not sound out other clubs? Seems so strange to sell him to a team in the same league. I guess Chelsea have done this before though, Sturridge was another huge mistake. £40m is a lot to turn down when Chelsea are struggling to comply with FFP.
Not to mention what Mou's plan is if Hazard or Oscar get an injury. De Bryune already sold so could be light there.

confuziz

Banned
Do Milan have the depth to sell him to us in January though, with little time to find a replacement?

Its easy to sign players from Portugal at a ludicrous price since the likes of Benfica and Porto know that nobody gives a shit about the Portuguese league, and they'd finish in the CL spots regardless of whether their most important players ae still there or not. Would Milan selling De Jong not be indicative of them giving up on the season?

There are 18 points between them and a CL place. I think they have given up already.

I've gotta say, what the fuck was going on with Madrid fans turning their noses up at the prospect of signing Rooney last night?

1. He and Ronaldo have a great relationship
2. He's perfect for Madrid's style of having players constantly run beyond the striker
3. He's about 17 times better than Benzema
4. You wouldn't have to break the bank for him

They support Madrid, that alone proves that they have questionable tastes.

simples

Banned
Chelsea getting Rooney would be a disaster for everyone and United with Mata would still be a much better team.
there are more important spots moyes needed to spend to improve the team, like a fucking left back or a cm

matas just gonna be pushed wide left and be invisible

rvp
mata-Rooney-Valencia/januzaj

with no one behind that line other than carrick. and in the back you have 2 aging cbs, evra and smalling

Herrera was the biggest missed opportunity last summer

I bought his shirt, first time since 2007 I buy a Milan shirt. That says everything, right?

Dumb stuff aside, he has been one of the best so far. And now with Seedorf and our new formation he's supposedly going to be a key player even more: Monto will play as a regista (or something like that) and Nigel will do everything else. He did good vs Verona and my guess (and everybody's else) is that he's going to be really important at least until June and probably even more if Seedorf trusts him enough to give him a bigger role within the rest of the team.

Honestly I wouldn't want to see him leave, I really like the way he plays and how he moves the entire team with him. I don't think he'll be sold in January, Monto and De Jong are our starting midfielders, I'd say that only Muntari and Nocerino could leave Milan in the next ten days or so.

Also, the shirt thing. One more year pls.
TeddyBoy asked the same thing yesterday! You can have Muntari AND Nocerino, they're good. No really, they're a couple of great players, they'll win the Ballon d'Or next year, trust me.

In short: no chance now, or at least there shouldn't be if Galliani uses his brain and some logic.

TeddyBoy asked the same thing yesterday! You can have Muntari AND Nocerino, they're good. No really, they're a couple of great players, they'll win the Ballon d'Or next year, trust me.

In short: no chance now, or at least there shouldn't be if Galliani uses his brain and some logic.

Uh, saw enough of Muntari at Portsmouth. All athelticism, no brains from what I remember. Decent enough on the ball, but no awareness.

Back to the drawing board then, B-Rod.

Salazar

there are more important spots moyes needed to spend to improve the team, like a fucking left back or a cm

All signs are that he's cutting deals for those too.

matas just gonna be pushed wide left and be invisible

Have you ever watched him play ? Seen what he does from out wide ?

Herrera was the biggest missed opportunity last summer

Herrera is nothing special at Bilbao. It would have been a stitch-up.

simples

Banned
Have you ever watched him play ? Seen what he does from out wide ?
he's not a straight clank winger. in moyes' system he would be expected to power forward and put in a cross. matas game is way more technical than that, and uniteds system doesn't play to his strength. I doubt moyes will build a style of play built around him to let him cut in and out with rvp and Rooney already in the box.

bet everytime he takes a shot the fat scouse screams at him

FootballFan

399 matches played for Leo Messi, congrats GOAT.

messi-infographic-jan-2014-fcb.jpg

#400 comes vs Levante in 12 hours.

Balague thinks RM have zero interest in Rooney.

That's good I don't want us to sell him.

I think he would want to stay if we show we still have ambition by signing Mata or another very good player.

Plus screw selling to Chelsea we don't do that sort of thing... well we haven't in the past so let's not start now.

Salazar

he's not a straight clank winger

Neither is Adnan, who is currently (and by an incredible margin) the most dangerous and effective wide player we've got. And the best crosser of the ball we've got - considering Robin is injured. And Mata's delivery from out wide is pure world-class.

The idea that he'd be some kind of fish out of water as a wide player for us is a bit weird. He's very far from shy about looking up and putting in a cross.

Clegg

So there has yet to be an official bid for Mata because United are working out exactly how much Chelsea want for the sale.

Woodward is learning.

ElyrionX

So we are getting Mata?

Edit: I guess it's probably a good thing. He would certainly be more dynamic than a lot of our current players though one could have said the same thing about Kagawa and look how that turned out.

FootballFan

I'd rather let you guys have Martinez than see Pep bench him actually. I doubt we're gonna sell him though, especially not for cheap.

That's just pep, wait it out and see how it goes first. I thought he was absolutely insane for benching yaya for the octopus few years ago.

Then a year later, I laugh at myself for being against that decision.

simples

Banned
That's just pep, wait it out and see how it goes first. I thought he was absolutely insane for benching yaya for the octopus few years ago.

Then a year later, I laugh at myself for being against that decision.
you should laugh

farca would be 3 times the team they are right now with yaya toure and would not get dominated off like they did in the semis. best power dm in the world right now

I don't doubt that United want Mata and want this deal to happen. However, every article I have seen basically mentions Mou not having had any say in the matter until now and that a bid is "imminent", and if all parties agree Mou will then be consulted. Mou may then pull the plug. That sounds really odd to me.

I won't be surprised if Mou and Moyes have agreed on this in person after the game last week. It's well known that most managers have a drink together after a match and this could come up during the conversation.

Not to mention Mourinho has a great relationship with Manchester United which makes these kind of things easier to deal with.

Clegg

I would I know Mata would make more of an instant impact but in the long term I'd rather take Barkley.

This season is a right off its time to rebuild.
He's only 25.

We'd get a 5 or 6 years of him at his best. Seems like a pretty good investment to me. Would play a huge role in rebuilding the team.

FootballFan

you should laugh

farca would be 3 times the team they are right now with yaya toure and would not get dominated off like they did in the semis. best power dm in the world right now

Yeah ..no.

Yaya is one of the best and most complete footballers but he isn't a better defensive mid than the octopus.

Yaya can't tackle, pass, defend or position himself like biscuit can.

Attacking wise yaya shits on biscuit, but there is a reason man city don't use yaya as the lone defensive mid and why he needs fernandinho.

Yaya was one of my fav players at barca and still is(ask hitcher :p), but in terms of a DEFENSIVE mid, he isn't as good as busquets.

The greatest of all time, without a doubt.

Greatest of all time? The Ronaldo scored 40 odd goals when he was 18 for Barca. Took Messi time before he broke that. Had Ronaldo stayed healthy he would of had much more records. People seem to forget how great he was.

Also Messi isn't the greatest footballer. Totti, Zidane, Maradona would easily out play him. Messi is an unbealievable finisher and dribbler, but he is not the greatest footballer. The others do things Messi can only dream of.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
World class players like Mata will help United but unless they fix their defence and CM we're going to see the same old shit when they play somebody decent. If they're going to spend big money they should spend it on the most vital positions, if they bought Mata and added a decent CB, CM and LB then I think I'd start to worry.

simples

Banned
Yeah ..no.

Yaya is one of the best and most complete footballers but he isn't a better defensive mid than the octopus.

Yaya can't tackle, pass, defend or position himself like biscuit can.

Attacking wise yaya shits on biscuit, but there is a reason man city don't use yaya as the lone defensive mid and why he needs fernandinho.

Yaya was one of my fav players at barca and still is(ask hitcher :p), but in terms of a DEFENSIVE mid, he isn't as good as busquets.
look at barcas weaknesses, set pieces, lack of height, getting powered off the ball and physicality. things bayern exposed last year. yaya gives you all of those as well as pace on the break. you think he gets muscled off by muller letting alba to get exposed and shit on?

when he is stomping on your throats in the champions league in a few months, you'll see how pep crippled your team by selling him off. biscuits maybe a better pure defender, but yaya would make your team more complete and fill more voids. that's why you bought song in an attempt to fix those things after fucking up what you already had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom